Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS SIGN RB EVAN ROYSTER TO ACTIVE ROSTER; ADD RB TRISTAN DAVIS TO PRACTICE SQUAD

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Nov. 22, 2011

REDSKINS SIGN RB EVAN ROYSTER TO ACTIVE ROSTER;

ADD RB TRISTAN DAVIS TO PRACTICE SQUAD

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they signed running back Evan Royster to their active roster from their practice squad. The team also signed running back Tristan Davis to their practice squad. To make room on the 53-man roster, the Redskins released running back Tashard Choice.

Royster (6-1, 213) was drafted by the Redskins in the sixth round (No. 177 overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Penn State. He spent the first seven weeks of the season on Washington’s practice squad. Royster finished his collegiate career at Penn State as the school’s all-time leading rusher with 3,932 yards on 686 carries and 29 touchdowns while adding 61 receptions for 562 yards and three touchdowns.

As a senior in 2010, Royster earned All-Big Ten Conference second-team honors after he started in all 13 contests. He finished the season with 208 rushes for 1,014 yards and six touchdowns and caught 25 passes for 202 yards and one touchdown.

As a junior, Royster was named to the All-Big Ten Conference first-team. He started in all 13 games and ranked second in the conference with 205 carries for 1,069 yards and six touchdowns. He also finished first on the team with 1,364 all-purpose yards.

In 2008, Royster appeared in 13 games with 12 starts, earning All-Big Ten Conference second-team honors. He set a sophomore school record with 1,236 rushing yards on 191 attempts and 12 touchdowns, while catching 17 passes for 155 yards.

During his freshman season, Royster played in 12 games, finishing second on the team in rushing with 82 carries for 513 yards and five touchdowns. He was also named to The Sporting News Big Ten All-Freshman team.

Royster attended Westfield High School in Chantilly, Va., where he earned Washington Post’s All-Metropolitan first-team honors, in addition to receiving All-Concorde District AAA honors, along with being chosen to the Division AAA All-State first-team. He was born on Nov. 26, 1987.

With the addition of Royster to the active roster, the Redskins have had 10 of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster during the season. Rookie wide receiver Aldrick Robinson and rookie cornerback Brandyn Thompson are currently on the team’s practice squad. Rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins was placed on the Reserve/Injured list during the preseason.

Davis (5-10, 212) was signed to the Redskins’ practice squad on Oct. 25, 2011, before being released on Nov. 8.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

I have a feeling that Royster has a decent shot to lead us in carries/yards for the rest of the year. Shanny sees Helu as a 3rd down back and Torain hasn't done anything. I think Royster might get the start (or at least early down work) this week.

Good. Let's evaluate.

Now I'm DOUBLY happy.

Never wanted Choice here to begin with. Go show that potential Evan. A rotation of THT, Helu, and yourself; with better personnel in front; is a pretty nice prospect going forward.

Shoot, an early week big ass smile on the Redskins. I'ma liking this new face.

Hail.

*Edit* All we need now is Thompson and the speedster Robinson out there.

This is a pleasant surprise. Shanny had said that Royster had to work on his pass protection, so I figured that we wouldn't get to see him until next year. Torain has struggled lately, so maybe we're gonna have a rookie back-up for a rookie starter.

It looks like we only signed Choice for his inside knowledge of the cowturds, tough break for him.

We should have cut him after is 8 yr run and he pounded his chest and posed. I hate that crap. Davis and Landry are bad with it also. Stupid jerks act as thought they just made the winning td in the last seconds of a super bowl

If i were a coach I would not allow it. Imagine if they did that in baseball after every single

We should have cut him after is 8 yr run and he pounded his chest and posed. I hate that crap. Davis and Landry are bad with it also. Stupid jerks act as thought they just made the winning td in the last seconds of a super bowl

If i were a coach I would not allow it. Imagine if they did that in baseball after every single

So you want your players to be dead out there. Show no emotion?

Football is probably the most passionate game there is. They're not taunting, they're pumped they made a play that helps their team. LaRon tends to try and psyche guys out when he makes a play, get inside the heads of the ball carrier. Letting them know its coming all game.

I didn't think Choice did all that much either, so as far as him getting cut I'm not upset. I'm excited to see Royster finally play though! I'm still wondering what the deal is with Torain though. I really think based on talent, Helu should start, unless they're trying to save him from injury.

Hey giving ppl shots to proove themselves and see what works. So Is Robinson the only rookie not on the team yet.

And Thompson, who's been yo-yo'ing up and down between the active roster and practice squad all year. (The injured Jenkins excepted.).

Last years draft is looking like it might just form a big chunk of the roster going forward. And with 18 picks over the next 2 years as we stand, it can only get better.

Hail.

This is another move that should've been made weeks ago instead of bringing in yet another RB off the street. I think Mike needs to realize that the tree he had in his backyard that grew RB's died a few years back. Sorry Mike, but these last two years have proven that you just can't insert Joe Blow at RB anymore. You better find a bonafide back this offseason.

Archived