Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS SIGN RB EVAN ROYSTER TO ACTIVE ROSTER; ADD RB TRISTAN DAVIS TO PRACTICE SQUAD

Mark The Homer

:rolleyes:

It's called "enemy intel". They bought Choice is, used him for any information they had on the Cowboys, gave him a chance to see what he could do, and then cut him for a drafted player they're much higher on.

It's not about inserting "Joe Blow" and expecting production or having a running back by committee, it's about looking and scouting for people who can possibly be productive in the future.

Exactly.

We sign Choice, and play our most competitive game since week one vs Choice's old team. We shut their running game down.

Coincidence?

Not likely.

~Bang

Exactly.

We sign Choice, and play our most competitive game since week one vs Choice's old team. We shut their running game down.

Coincidence?

Not likely.

~Bang

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought this. It was a shrewd move, but part of the reason why i have faith in this staff. Too bad we couldn't pull out the win though.

Exactly.

Coincidence?

Not likely.

~Bang

I was thinking that also; but it could just be a coincidence.

Anyway, Royster is Shanny's "choice" now.

:helmet: The Rook

We are going to continue to be sorry. I didn't realize that FD83 is FA at the end of this season and we haven't even tried to sign him ? Then in 2013 Paulsen, D.Young and LF will all be FA. So my question is this when are we going to try to sign FD83? When he becomes a FA? By then FD83 probably won't even want to continue playing here with us LLS. Are front office never makes the right decisions so why is it that we fans always think they just might do the right thing or the common thing? Funny how Dallas doesn't have any of there players on the FA list.... just saying smfh

How do you know that we "haven't even tried" to sign Davis? You're that close to him or his agent? Bruce Allen is probably in ongoing talks with Fred's agent and he is likely to be priority #1 this offseason. If we don't get a longterm deal done there is still the franchise tag. Step off the ledge buddy.

I don't expect much from Royster, A) based on the O-line he's working with, and B) there's probably a pretty good reason he was essentially 5th on the depth chart (counting Choice who they brought in in front of him). I hope he does well, but I'd be surprised if he made any difference in the running game.

But Helu's run fairly ok the last 3 games. He's had 24 carries for 117 yards and 5.2 yards a carry in those 3 games. But they only give it to him 5-10 times. Give him more carries, see what he can do with 15-20. Now, admittedly, he usually breaks off a 15-20 yarder somewhere in there to get his numbers up, but Torain and whoever else aren't even doing that.

As what MS said before, he wanted to put the best players on the field that gave him the best chance at winning the game. Now that the Redskins are all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, its now full on showing us what the rookies can do.

Goody. Another back not to get yards behind this OL. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Oh no you don't. THis line is more than capable. THis is a prow-bowl line, it is our choice at QB that is eliminating the running game.

We here at ES won't stand for this nonsense about OL.

Just wait till we get our shiny new 1st round young franshise QB!!!

Then you will see are real running game. Of course it will be unecessary cause of all the 75 yard TD bombs we are throwing down the field.

We will give a RB a few carries now and then so that teams have to kinda stay honest, but wait till you see what someone not named Rex or Beck or Cambell can do....

/scsm

---------- Post added November-23rd-2011 at 10:35 AM ----------

Oh yeah, it's about flipping time Royster saw some game time.

Royster will probably go from the practice squad to starting this week. Then next week he'll be third string. The week after he'll be inactive. Then he'll be number 2 on the depth chart. Then he'll start a couple games. Then he'll be released, re-signed, and re-inserted into the starting lineup. Then he'll be moved to fullback, cut mid-week, re-signed but with status listed as "questionable" and will then be our number one prospect at RB going into next year, and will then be released in pre-season.

He's not a perfect fit in terms of speed, but he hits the hole well and made the most of his opportunities during the pre season

I actually thought he was quite unimpressive in preseason. No speed, no elusiveness, no power, just looked the same as all the other average RBs that we've shipped out of here. Unless he has somehow morphed into something different since preseason, I don't get it. At least with Helu you see flashes, Royster I felt looked scared, timid, and really lacked conviction in his preseason time.

This will purely be an evaluation period for him as a backup or 3rd string for next year IMO.

How do you know that we "haven't even tried" to sign Davis? You're that close to him or his agent? Bruce Allen is probably in ongoing talks with Fred's agent and he is likely to be priority #1 this offseason. If we don't get a longterm deal done there is still the franchise tag. Step off the ledge buddy.

Show me better than you can tell me buddy. In other words talk is cheap. I heard the same excuses for Rogers, and we all seen how that worked out for us. I don't like the idea of having a bunch of our best players on a freaking FA list. Especially when we are talking about having a "rebuilding" year. Why would you even want to have your best players all on FA ? I hope what u say has some truth to it,but from my experiences with this team they never seem to make the right decisions. So I only calls it how I see it my man dueces

:rolleyes:

It's called "enemy intel". They bought Choice is, used him for any information they had on the Cowboys, gave him a chance to see what he could do, and then cut him for a drafted player they're much higher on.

It's not about inserting "Joe Blow" and expecting production or having a running back by committee, it's about looking and scouting for people who can possibly be productive in the future.

Ahh, is that what it was? He sure did see a lot of snaps for a guy that was used for "enemy intel." I guess there was no chance he would still be on the team if had put up a good day?

While there are plenty of examples of "enemy intel" throughout the league maybe they signed him because, oh I don't know,our running game wasn't doing ****? Not to mention he was signed two weeks prior to the Cowboys game and most "enemy intel" signings are for the week leading up to the game against the "enemy" and the guys signed for "enemy intel" are lucky to see the active 53 let alone see snaps.

Ahh, is that what it was? He sure did see a lot of snaps for a guy that was used for "enemy intel." I guess there was no chance he would still be on the team if had put up a good day?

While there are plenty of examples of "enemy intel" throughout the league maybe they signed him because, oh I don't know,our running game wasn't doing ****? Not to mention he was signed two weeks prior to the Cowboys game and most "enemy intel" signings are for the week leading up to the game against the "enemy" and the guys signed for "enemy intel" are lucky to see the active 53 let alone see snaps.

They invited Choice in. They needed depth at running back. Choice has knowledge of the Cowboys playbook, of the blocking scheme and their offense in general and probably some of what the defense does. He got waived 3 weeks prior when we needed depth in our backfield.

But why not see what the guy can do? If Choice proves he can be productive, that's one less thing in this miserable season that you have to worry about. That means we take another player from a division rival like Stephen Bowen or Cofield or Rocca that potentially helps us weaken a division rival.

Turns out Choice wasn't that guy. But why not give him a couple weeks in practice, and then give him a shot against his old team to prove himself?

At the end of the day, Royster still gets on the roster and gets his opportunity, and we got information on the Cowboys offense. We held their red hot rookie to his lowest rushing total this season and no touchdowns and played our closest, most competitive game in weeks.

We got what we needed, gave him a chance to prove his worth, and then cut him. No skin off our back.

They invited Choice in. They needed depth at running back. Choice has knowledge of the Cowboys playbook, of the blocking scheme and their offense in general and probably some of what the defense does. He got waived 3 weeks prior when we needed depth in our backfield.

But why not see what the guy can do? If Choice proves he can be productive, that's one less thing in this miserable season that you have to worry about. That means we take another player from a division rival like Stephen Bowen or Cofield or Rocca that potentially helps us weaken a division rival.

Turns out Choice wasn't that guy. But why not give him a couple weeks in practice, and then give him a shot against his old team to prove himself?

At the end of the day, Royster still gets on the roster and gets his opportunity, and we got information on the Cowboys offense. We held their red hot rookie to his lowest rushing total this season and no touchdowns and played our closest, most competitive game in weeks.

We got what we needed, gave him a chance to prove his worth, and then cut him. No skin off our back.

At the end of the day we get to see another youngster hit the field (hopefully) and that's all we can ask for in what is becoming an extended preseason and guys showing whether or not they deserve to be here next year.

I wish someone would start a thread about whether our team has mastered the Zone Blocking Scheme that makes Shanahan's offense go. To my eyes, we are woefully inept at running the stretch plays/cutback blocks that allow RB's in this offense to break 3-4 big runs a game. I remember when Shanahan was hiring his assistants, he really wanted an O-line coach that he'd worked with previously and who was the "zen master" of zone blocking, but that guy didn't join him in D.C. We had to settle for a second-choice o-line coach.

Feels like we always fixate on the RBs and the QBs, and the silly media headlines are all about them (Jason Reid, etc.) but if there's really a valid criticism to be made of Shanahan, it's around the lack of execution and mastery of the ZBS.

Am I on to something, or can someone refute this? Would love to see a detailed discussion about it.

I don't get Shanahan at all. He brought in Larry Johnson, had him play the entire preseason and make the team, then just cut him. Now Choice comes in, actually gets to play, and is immediately cut? I get the cutting part, but why did these guys even get to play?

I wish someone would start a thread about whether our team has mastered the Zone Blocking Scheme that makes Shanahan's offense go. To my eyes, we are woefully inept at running the stretch plays/cutback blocks that allow RB's in this offense to break 3-4 big runs a game. I remember when Shanahan was hiring his assistants, he really wanted an O-line coach that he'd worked with previously and who was the "zen master" of zone blocking, but that guy didn't join him in D.C. We had to settle for a second-choice o-line coach.

Feels like we always fixate on the RBs and the QBs, and the silly media headlines are all about them (Jason Reid, etc.) but if there's really a valid criticism to be made of Shanahan, it's around the lack of execution and mastery of the ZBS.

Am I on to something, or can someone refute this? Would love to see a detailed discussion about it.

Not sure how anybody, including coaches, can fairly assess the problem. There's been chatter lately that Torrain isn't hitting the right holes with any consistency, all the personnel changes along the Oline, we're often get away from the running game trying to play catch up and our WR's are a bunch of revolving doors. It would be nice to see a game where all the "moving parts" are working together thru an entire game.

I don't get Shanahan at all. He brought in Larry Johnson, had him play the entire preseason and make the team, then just cut him. Now Choice comes in, actually gets to play, and is immediately cut? I get the cutting part, but why did these guys even get to play?

Keiland was still raw, and Ryan Torain couldn't pass protect, and Mike was still concerned about keeping him healthy. At a point, LJ's lack of production wasn't enough to justify keeping Torain off the roster, so they cut him so they could activate Torain. Then Portis got hurt and Keiland got called back up.

As for Choice, like I said, get some enemy intel on the division rival, give him a shot to play against his old team, and if he can't succeed, cut him and bring up the guy you were high on.

Not that hard to figure out.

A bigger mystery is why does Torain continue to start?

He buys into his own hype about "his system" and how he can make running backs out of thin air. Consequently, he doesn't believe in investing in the position and thinks they're interchangeable.

Archived