Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Grossman reportedly sharing first-team snaps again with Beck

TheGreatBuzz

It seems that the Redskins are at least creating a competition again, with The Washington Post reporting on Friday that backup Rex Grossman split first-team snaps with Beck this week in preparations for Sunday's game at Miami, four games after Grossman was benched in favor of Beck

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82406235/article/grossman-reportedly-sharing-firstteam-snaps-again-with-beck

Now some will say this could have gone in one of the other numerous QB threads. But to me this isn't about which QB is better. They both suck. This is about the coach. What happens if he flips on QBs? I see ups and downs to both possible situations.

1. He switches back to Rex. I like this because it shows he isn't so stubborn that he can't admit he was wrong. I would rather a coach admit his mistake and attempt to fix it than insist on staying the wrong course because he can't admit he ****ed up. But on the flip side, I'm not sure I like my coach making those kind of mistakes. And what does it show other players about his loyalty?

2. He stays with Beck. Pretty much the opposite of above. He is stubborn (unless in the long run he ends up being right). He believes in his decisions. He shows loyalty through adversity.

So thoughts anyone? How do you see a flip flop or even just this news coming out affecting his career? His stance with the locker room? Any other bits of wisdom you may want to share?

whilst the coach is faced with a team needing serious rebuilding his handling of the QB position isnt exactly the stuff of football dreams. McNabb went in to meltdown, Grossman benched, Beck now facing Sunday with both taking snaps? hmmm looks like a trend to me. Doesnt exactly surprise me or make me think there is a good thing.

I think this week is Becks last chance to prove he has something - anything - Otherwise we swap back to the Rex Cannon because if this is a lost season then Beck is holding back the development of the WRs and the RBs etc . Rex may be a turn over machine but at least he can make some plays as well ... Beck has over the last two weeks regressed badly, he seems to crumble when the lights are on him . Right now you have an opportiunity to blood some rookies and try and turn trash into treasure ( I am talking about the new players brought in this week )

Good it's about time, Rex had this team 3-1, PLEASE!!! give him the team back before the season is over.
Well, I'd argue we were going on 3-2 with the picks Rex was throwing.

That being said...... unleash the dragon. :)

And I have no problem with benching Rex again, if he plays like he did in StL or Philthy.

"Players are constantly being evaluated throughout the week, at practice, at all positions, and the individuals who are working the hardest, and performing the best, will play". That's just a paraphrase, but that sentiment has been said over, and over since Shanny took over the team. Its a built in excuse for him to be able to play whoever the hell he wants to play, and not have to answer to it, and frankly i'm glad. Its the way it should be, he's the coach, he makes the calls.

I can only assume this means Beck may have no more than two more quarters of football to show something to the staff and IMO players too. I also do believe the players are getting frustrated with Beck. Rex will likely be inserted after the half at the latest if Beck continues to play poorly.

GMs can look to the future and be happy with losses. Coaches and players never should throw in the towel. They should always try to win every game. Grossman as bad as the interceptions are played better. Maybe this lights a fire under Beck. Maybe the benching got something through Grossman's head. We're not going to be a great team this year, but the team should not lay down and die.

The GM and even some fans may privately want us to suck for Luck or Whiff for Griff or whatever, but every game the coaches and players should give it their all.

Nooooooooooo

We don't need 6-10 or 7-9 (our record if we go back to Rex now). It's all about draft position now. Keep Becky and 3-13 (and a top 5 pick) is realistic.

This Rex is a winner stuff is a bit overblown. they lost 2 out of the last three with him during the weak part of the schedule and almost lost the third game to the Rams. Our draft pick is likely more than safe.

1. He switches back to Rex. I like this because it shows he isn't so stubborn that he can't admit he was wrong. I would rather a coach admit his mistake and attempt to fix it than insist on staying the wrong course because he can't admit he ****ed up.

This is where fans and mediots are wrong...

Its not about being right or wrong, or about fixing his mistake or whatever...Its about giving someone a chance, to see what they got. Beck nor Rex are franchise QB's. We knew what Rex could do in games, and that is mediocre. However, we did NOT know what Beck could give us. Does Beck have the tools and ability to play in the NFL? He's got a locker doesnt he?

You said yourself, they both suck. So how was he wrong? Wrong that he had the wrong "suck" playing QB? I dont get it.

This decision is probably more about developing the young Wr's, then it is trying to save the season.

IMO it doesn't matter who the QB is at this point. This season has become a loss cause whether one wants to admit it or not. Too many injuries on the offensive side of the ball to overcome the lack of talent behind center.

I agree with this. Lets go crazy with the Rex is a good QB stuff, and not the 32nd ranked Qb in the NFL when he was benched -- what are we talking about at best 7-9? This isn't the weak part of the schedule when Rexy was playing, we aren't playing the Rams and Cards. This game right now is arguably our easiest maybe the one against the Vikings too, otherwise we are playing some real teams.

yeah man, what did he play like a few minutes against the Eagles, and he was more than fine? i think they were winning. No one counts that game.

We were never winning the Eagles game and Grossman's leading receiver was Nate Coleman with three picks and gave another pick to someone else. That's why he was benched.

eh....in my opinion it was never about this year anyway. The 3-1 start just got everyone's hopes up. I was expecting 6 wins or so this season regardless of QB. And I don't think we're regressing and that the team is getting worse and needs to be blown up again - its just a process and takes time. I'm more than willing to wait a year or two. After all, we've been losing pretty consistently since '93 anyway, so what's another couple years?

Archived