Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Name the New Washington Baseball Team Poll

China

I heard an argument against reviving the name Senators that makes sense. The people of D.C. are the only people in the United States who AREN'T represented by a U.S. Senator, so having a team named Senators is like an ironic slap in the face to them.

I would like a name that represents something else about the area other than it being the Nation's Capital. Potomacs works, even though the new stadium will be on the other river -the Anacostia.

Since they'll be on the river how about the D.C. River Cats or River Dogs?

Or the Snakeheads? Or the Catfish? Or the Crappies?

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

I'm confused, Renegade. Is there more to the name other than it came from the Negro Leagues? I think most people who are for the Grays name want to honor the memory of the players in the Negro Leagues, who are in danger of being just a footnote to history right now. I think it would be healthy for DC to embrace its past and recapture the glory of the Grays.

Nothing wrong with the name. In fact I like it. I'm just curious to see how many people have picked the name just because it sounds cool. That doesn't feel right to me.

Washington Whiteskins. :doh:

Of course, the Capitals have to change to the Blueskins to complete the scheme. ;)

Sorry, just couldn't resist that. I kinda like the:

Individuals - Nationals, Warriors, Reps :D

Group - Wave, Freedom, Anthem :D

Topical - Flip-floppers, Tax Breaks, Lobbyists :rolleyes:

Sounds too close to something else - Flags, Grays (see BadKarmas post above), Raps, Witches

:cheers:

Originally posted by Dan T.

I heard an argument against reviving the name Senators that makes sense. The people of D.C. are the only people in the United States who AREN'T represented by a U.S. Senator, so having a team named Senators is like an ironic slap in the face to them.

I don't think that's enough of a reason enough to disqualify the name Senators.

After all, while the District itself has no representation, the name is undoubtably assocaited with Washington. You will be able to see the Capitol Building from the ballpark for chrissakes.

I've come up with 3 legitimate (I think) names:

"Washington Admirals" - appropriate given the likely site of the stadium being near the old Navy Yards.

"Washington Dukes" - Duke Ellington is a DC-ite, and the Duke Ellington School For The Arts is in Georgetown.

"Washington Aces" - another military/Navy pilots reference.

In tribute to the ridiculous DC humidity, I'd also like to add the "Washington Dank."

I like "Senators", but isn't it kinda odd considering DC has no representation?

Jer

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by portisbowwow

Why not call them the Washington Redskins?

But then we would havve to hear Chris Berman call the football team The Washington FOOTBALL Redskins like he does for the Giants. It's pretty stupid. I voted for the senators, but as I read I think I am leaning towards the greys. Either one, just nothing ridiculous.

Hopefully Cal Ripken is part of the ownership groug so DCs team has a little bit of credibility, and a huge fan base. Plus it would really piss off Angelos.

How about the Washington Ironbirds:D

Personally I like the idea of the grays, but what kind of merchandising can the team do, or what would be the mascot. Anyway its up the the new owners.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
Originally posted by KingJeremy

I've come up with 3 legitimate (I think) names:

"Washington Admirals" - appropriate given the likely site of the stadium being near the old Navy Yards.

"Washington Dukes" - Duke Ellington is a DC-ite, and the Duke Ellington School For The Arts is in Georgetown.

"Washington Aces" - another military/Navy pilots reference.

In tribute to the ridiculous DC humidity, I'd also like to add the "Washington Dank."

I like "Senators", but isn't it kinda odd considering DC has no representation?

Jer

Admirals is pretty good, but wouldn't that be more towards Annapolis and the Navy?

Personally, there isn't a better name than the Senators. It'll bring in much more fan support when they first arrive that hopefully will force into becoming a big market team so we can compete against the Braves.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

What is the appeal of the "greys"? I understand where it comes from but doesn't that seem to promote the racial segregation in America during that time period, rather than honoring the teams and players of the Negro League?

1. The Washington Drivebys (aka the DCDBs) :laugh:

2. The Bums (for the panhandlers and homelss that litter the Mall and other tourist areas of DC).

3. The Bowties (for Mayor Williams- Hey if there are White and Red Socks (SOX) teams why not bowties?)

4. The Warriors (with a similar Redskins-esque look and feel, especially since they'll be in RFK)

4. The Capitalists- sounds too much like Capitals though.

5. The Monuments

6. Gridlocks

Originally posted by goskins

1. The Washington Drivebys (aka the DCDBs) :laugh:

2. The Bums (for the panhandlers and homelss that litter the Mall and other tourist areas of DC).

3. The Bowties (for Mayor Williams- Hey if there are White and Red Socks (SOX) teams why not bowties?)

4. The Warriors (with a similar Redskins-esque look and feel, especially since they'll be in RFK)

4. The Capitalists- sounds too much like Capitals though.

5. The Monuments

6. Gridlocks

In all honesty, that wasn't very funny. :doh:

Originally posted by China

What name would you pick for the new Washington baseball team?

#1 ~ Washington Warriors: tied in with the Redskins

#2 ~ Washington Flyers: taxis. Grey taxis with a white stripe.

#3 ~ Washington Expos: Why change something that could actually work the way it is.

#4 ~ Washington Redskins: Why not? there were 2 St. Louis Cardinals! Then I could wear B&G all year long & not get strange looks...:paranoid:

DC Pidgeons

Washington Politicians

Washington Rhetoric

Originally posted by BleedinBurgundyandGold

Admirals is pretty good, but wouldn't that be more towards Annapolis and the Navy?

Personally, there isn't a better name than the Senators. It'll bring in much more fan support when they first arrive that hopefully will force into becoming a big market team so we can compete against the Braves.

Yeah, but what's the likelyhood that the new owners of the Expos will want to spend even more money for the Senators' name from the Tex-AZZ Rangers?

What they need to do is veer away from using a name that is even remotely tied to politics. Sports & politics shouldn't mix. That would be like having a "Federal Church".

Archived