Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think you're spot on!

DQ on Phidarian Mathis:

"Ive really been impressed by Phil...He's just a guy that's not going to miss this opportunity"

That's a textbook example of "condemnation by faint praise".

Scratch that.

I just watched the presser and quinn was misquoted.

He said mathis is just someone he didn't say just a guy and the way he said it didn't have any undertones in my opinion.

It felt like a genuine compliment. 

That said the compliment wasn't about his play rather about his commitment so his skill on the field is still in doubt.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

Very telling in the St. Juste interview that the previous staff would not make corrections on mechanics. And when they did try and teach they threw so much at everyone that nobody could keep up. Curious to see how much a real coaching staff can work with Forbes and get him at least respectable. So glad to have moved on from Rivera and Co. 

The staff seems to value ballhawks, even if it means giving up some yards. I wonder if they might shift their mindset to focus on creating bigger plays rather than just trying to contain the WR. Bland and Diggs, for example, were among the league leaders in yards allowed but also led with 11 and 9 interceptions, respectively.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ironically this D could be like a MOntez-Sweat away from being elite lolol (don't get me wrong I still love the trade)

Oh man what the D could have been with Chase Young on it too 🤪

So, are we going 17-0 or what? I’ve only been half paying attention. Busy as all get out. I need 17-0 affirmation… all I see is someone whining about not having a Montez Sweat.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So, are we going 17-0 or what? I’ve only been half paying attention. Busy as all get out. I need 17-0 affirmation… all I see is someone whining about not having a Montez Sweat.

16-1, we lose to the Panthers in a trap game.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ironically this D could be like a MOntez-Sweat away from being elite lolol (don't get me wrong I still love the trade)

Like SF, this team needs a Nick Bosa like DE.  Here's hoping they don't have to be as bad SF was to get that type of player

8 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Sorry for the "non-news" post here, but have a training camp question was hoping someone could help me out with. 

I just purchased two tickets for Sunday through Ebay. (Thanks, scalpers). I received the ticket transfer through SeatGeek, but now I'm reading on the team page "you MUST have a parking pass to park on site. Claim one through SeatGeek." I'm seeing no options or ability to do this. Anyone know how a parking pass can be otherwise obtained? 

I would contact your ticket rep to see if parking pass are still on sale; if not, there are a couple of buses that stop close to the training facilities.

Anyone going this Sunday, could you please report back on how your experience at training camp was?

After catching up on TC vids , Daniel’s really has an effortless delivery. It looks slow as hell but I’m sure it’s not actually. Interested to see it against actual game speed. The other thing that stood out is Kingsburys strong hat game. I wear the same one when cutting grass lol

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, I was feelin the beard today too, had me missing mine, especially talking about playing “dirty and nasty.”  Wanting to run the ball, smash mouth football, pissing on the last regime.  Made my nipples stiff… Yep it’s official, he’s my man crush now… 

• Haha 3

I listened to the John Keim podcast and the Take Command podcast with Logan Paulsen and Craig Hoffman.  One guy they both have mentioned looking strong the first two days is Emmanuel Forbes so that is exciting.  Sounds like he finished mini-camp strong and is off to a strong start in training camp.  Granted there are no pads, which means its less physical, and physicality is his weaknesses, so we need to see if the good play continues once the pads are on.   Given that Quan Martin exceeded expectations in OTA's and mini-camp I think its possible the secondary is the most improved unit on the team next year.

• Like 7

This staff isn't a bunch of idiots. We're going from a high school coach, to one of the leagues best secondary coaches running the D.

I'd be shocked if Forbes isn't put in a much better position to exceed. 

I was watching the Dolphins hard knocks and there were a few comments making fun of us playing straight up man defense on Hill with no help. Same **** we all were screaming about during the games.

Criminal what our coaches did to Forbes last year.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This staff isn't a bunch of idiots. We're going from a high school coach, to one of the leagues best secondary coaches running the D.

I was watching the Dolphins hard knocks and there were a few comments making fun of us playing straight up man defense on Hill with no help. Same **** we all were screaming about during the games.

I don’t know. Putting the 37 pound rookie corner man to man against DK Metcalf who weighs precisely 230 pounds more than him sounds like a recipe for success!

• Haha 5

I really wish a local beatnik had pressed Ron on why he made a failed high school coach our DB coach, as Forbes was getting exposed (if not right after being hired).  At least Ron finally lamar-canned JDR in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding aka the loss of Forbes confidence and pretty much with it, his entire rookie campaign. And with it, much of our ROI from our 23 draft. Cleanup aisle 3.. from what little we have seen, I am really liking Quinn's ability to do just that. If he can get Forbes online and Jamin hammerin QBs like Parsons lite, watch out.

image.gif.cd62e86f4f6dc3ca78a388c44c617781.gif

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When you got mild manner non flame thrower Keim saying repeatedly how much better this coaching staff is (emphasizing defense) than the previous one -- its clear it's night and day.

I am feeling optimistic for that reason among others.   I think this defense is going to be good.  I was listening to Tischler for example on the Finlay podcast highlight that he actually thinks the floor with these edge rushers is higher than with Sweat-Young.  He said they are looking good in practice in particular Fowler.

• Like 9