Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It feels so good to finally be the team who takes the consensus top player rather than reach for someone we see traits in.

I don't know that I actually care one way or another about following the consensus.  There are a lot of 2-bit moronic fools who are part of the consensus building.

I feel better you can point to each of the draft picks and say "This is why we drafted him here" and that is NOT "because we needed a Left Tackle and panicked and drafted one."

The process seems to be correct, the evaluators made their evaluations, and we picked guys who seem to fit what we want to do.  All of those are positives.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I feel better you can point to each of the draft picks and say "This is why we drafted him here" and that is NOT "because we needed a Left Tackle and panicked and drafted one."

There was some ass on The Athletic panning all of our 2nd round picks because "OMGZ...they NEEDS a LEFT TACKLE! What are the DOING?!!!>>!"

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There was some ass on The Athletic panning all of our 2nd round picks because "OMGZ...they NEEDS a LEFT TACKLE! What are the DOING?!!!>>!"

There were a lot of folks who wanted us to trade back into the first and pick a tackle.  But the run on tackles came a wee bit earlier than expected, and I don't think Peters wanted to pay the price, probably a 2025 1st or 2nd, to move up from 36 to say 15-ish.  

By the time they got to the mid to late 20's, most of the guys they would have been targeting were gone.  

And none of the tackles left on the board were worth spending 36 on.  I THINK, if I'm not mistaken, after the last tackle in the first round, there was a big gap before the next one was taken.  I could be wrong about that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:59 AM, tmandoug1 said:

The sad thing is that Cooper was ranked higher than Newton in the ESPN top 200. So we had a chance at a BPA for need at 36. Makes no sense. Sinistril was slated at 75 and Coleman at 105. Hope the FO had the eye of the tiger for talent.

Picking a Tackle in the 2nd round would have been the ultimate reach... even for Cerrato

very-long-arm-reaching-something-260nw-1525261130.jpg

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

don't know that I actually care one way or another about following the consensus.  There are a lot of 2-bit moronic fools who are part of the consensus building.

No doubt and often times the consensus is wrong, it just feels like it's right more often than it's not.

For us 3 out of the last 4 first round picks would have worked out much better going with consensus. 

The cowboys pretty much always go consensus and it's how they ended up with so much talent, luckily they seem to have squandered it.

The eagles every year get top marks for their drafting and it has worked out pretty good for their roster.

We always complain that there's a media bias because we get bad grades but when you take the rose colored glasses off you realize we have just sucked at drafting.

I think you'll see our roster get more and more talented as our draft grades get better and better and I don't think it'll be a coincidence. 

Just my opinion.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There were a lot of folks who wanted us to trade back into the first and pick a tackle.  But the run on tackles came a wee bit earlier than expected, and I don't think Peters wanted to pay the price, probably a 2025 1st or 2nd, to move up from 36 to say 15-ish.  

By the time they got to the mid to late 20's, most of the guys they would have been targeting were gone.  

And none of the tackles left on the board were worth spending 36 on.  I THINK, if I'm not mistaken, after the last tackle in the first round, there was a big gap before the next one was taken.  I could be wrong about that.

Between Guyton and Paul, there was almost a full round between Tackles getting taken. JPJ and Frasier when for OL in general

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That was probably me 😁

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think you'll find a fair sized contingent around here that feel the same way.  It's not completely without merit, because this draft hinges on the QB hitting beyond all else, and the QB can't hit if you break him.  That said, I think the new people in charge will be way better at mitigating deficiencies via scheme than we've seen in the past, and I don't think they're done addressing said deficiency.  A long term answer would have been nice, but an answer for now would be plenty sufficient.

• Like 1

Brandon Coleman is good. I can see him playing LT at some point. He stood out to me way back in October, November when I started looking at OL. 

Holy cow.

I just learned we signed as UDFA's 

RB Michael Wiley Arizona - love this dude, watch his tape.

DB AJ Woods - this dude is blazing fast & we got DB Tyler Owens & Chig. 

Peters crushed this draft & our UDFA signings fellas no doubt in my mind.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I think you'll find a fair sized contingent around here that feel the same way.  It's not completely without merit, because this draft hinges on the QB hitting beyond all else, and the QB can't hit if you break him.  That said, I think the new people in charge will be way better at mitigating deficiencies via scheme than we've seen in the past, and I don't think they're done addressing said deficiency.  A long term answer would have been nice, but an answer for now would be plenty sufficient.

I like the fact they stuck to their board. Too often we have fallen in love with a player (Forbes, Davis) and passed on better players. I'd rather not address the immediate need by taking someone in a panic that they didn't rate highly. Will it work out? Time will tell, but they had a very good approach and I love they stuck with their evaluations.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I like the fact they stuck to their board. Too often we have fallen in love with a player (Forbes, Davis) and passed on better players. I'd rather not address the immediate need by taking someone in a panic that they didn't rate highly. Will it work out? Time will tell, but they had a very good approach and I love they stuck with their evaluations.

I think you are probably right, however the passing over of DeJean at #40 because we were clearly focused on Sainristil make me slightly question that logic.

You have to assume we didn’t have a first round grade on DeJean, or had other concerns. I know we got good trade value, but imagine if we hadn’t got Sainristil at #50 once that CB run started.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think you are probably right, however the passing over of DeJean at #40 because we were clearly focused on Sainristil make me slightly question that logic.

You have to assume we didn’t have a first round grade on DeJean, or had other concerns. I know we got good trade value, but imagine if we hadn’t got Sainristil at #50 once that CB run started.

Were we clearly focused on Sainristil? Or was he a number of options there?

I don't think we can say, for certain, what they were clearly focused on or not. I think it's fair to say we did not like deJean for whatever reason to allow him to go to the Eagles, or they thought he might be available later--since the Eagles took Mitchell in the first.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:10 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

If anyone here hasnt watched Jean-Baptiste hes a fun watch.  Disruptive, good bend, twitchy, better prospect IMO than the edges taken late last year

Do you think he might have gone higher if he'd spent more of his time there rather than on the bench at Ohio State? Reading about him, seems like the floor is reasonably decent, and there's more upside than usual for a 7th round edge we draft (I think we haven't hit on a late round edge since Richie Redskin in '94 or '95 whenever he came out-can't remember how late round he was). Part of me is optimistic, but the experienced me just tosses him the bin with the rest of late day 3 edge's who've sucked 96% of the time. 

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Were we clearly focused on Sainristil? Or was he a number of options there?

I don't think we can say, for certain, what they were clearly focused on or not. I think it's fair to say we did not like deJean for whatever reason to allow him to go to the Eagles, or they thought he might be available later--since the Eagles took Mitchell in the first.

Personally I think it’s very obvious we wanted Sainristil in the second round, and that influenced the trade back. And yep we can have been that sold on DeJean at the same time.

On 4/27/2024 at 3:55 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

“We can’t address all of our roster issues in one offseason” - Washington fans every offseason since the signing of the Magna Carta. 

Well, we've only finished the bottom 2 in the league once in my lifetime, so it kinda makes sense. Then add a dash of 0 quality drafts under Ron, and next to no veteran help from the Bruce Allen craptacular era, and it makes sense. 

As I mentioned before FA, in terms of position Groups:

QB: D

OL; D-

TE: F

WR: D+

RB: D+

Edge: F

DT: B-

LB: F

CB: D-

S: D-

ST's: I don't know but it sounds like we have a nice punter and nothing else. 

People will disagree w/some of those, but to my mind, nearly our entire line needed replacement, our entire QB room, our entire TE room, nearly all our RB room, our Edge room, most of our LB's are total ---, our secondary is patently god awful and the only guy that didn't suck was leaving.

It's definitely gonna take more than one offseason to fix all that. 

The OL is particularly interesting as it had basically one or two quality lineman, in Stromberg an injured late 3rd rounder, and then some underperforming vets, and utter horse manure that couldn't beat out the worst OL's in the league at multiple positions (or close to it).

This will take years to fix. If you botch every offseason for the most part for a decade, and all four of the Ron ones, you aren't gonna fix all that with some heavy cap room and like 2  more draft picks than usual. 

The good news is unlike the past, when we had fewer picks than anyone else, this time we had more, and we traded zero future picks which was a nice change of pace. 

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Personally I think it’s very obvious we wanted Sainristil in the second round, and that influenced the trade back. And yep we can have been that sold on DeJean at the same time.

I think what's clear is they didn't have the same grade on Cooper as others. I know a lot of people liked him but it's clear this regime does thier due dilligence and they didn't value him as much. It may have been a cultural fit. 

AP has a clear vision of the type of players he wants and while we may see Copper as fitting that profile he and the rest did not so they were not only willing to pass on him but willing to make a trade with a division rival to let them have him. Clearly they could be wrong. But I am willing to give them the benifit of the doubt. 

There is a long list of man crushes from fans that turned out to have something wrong with them we did not know.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I think what's clear is they didn't have the same grade on Cooper as others

A buddy of mine said he saw a stat that Dejean gives up a 50% catch rate or close to it.  May be part of the reason. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Do you think he might have gone higher if he'd spent more of his time there rather than on the bench at Ohio State? Reading about him, seems like the floor is reasonably decent, and there's more upside than usual for a 7th round edge we draft (I think we haven't hit on a late round edge since Richie Redskin in '94 or '95 whenever he came out-can't remember how late round he was). Part of me is optimistic, but the experienced me just tosses him the bin with the rest of late day 3 edge's who've sucked 96% of the time. 

Maybe so.  Also being a backup at Ohio State might have helped him over the long haul because their D line coach is a legend so he likely got coached up well.

When I was hunting for mid round types -- tweeners with good athleticism and are disruptive, he was one of the ones I liked.  Just below Booker, Solomon, X. Thomas.

I was focused some on players like that because reading about Quinn's defenses, he tends to find a role for players like that -- finding mismatches, etc.

This guy even though is a bit undersized is actually solid against the run.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think what's clear is they didn't have the same grade on Cooper as others. I know a lot of people liked him but it's clear this regime does thier due dilligence adn they didn't value him as much. It may have been a cultural fit. 

AP has a clear vision of the type of players he wants and while we may see Copper as fitting that profile he and the rest did not so they were not only willing to pass on him but willing to make a trade with a division rival to let them have him. Clerly they could be wrong. But I am willnig to give them the benifit of the doubt. 

There is a long list of man crushes from fans that turned out t have something wrong with them we did not know.  

Same. For the record I wasn’t pushing the DeJean selection. Just discussing the process in that high second round.

• Like 1

So one of the things about Cooper was that he was viewed by some as a "tweener" and maybe a better safety candidate, but others thought he was just flatly good at everything.

I tended to fall into the latter category but I'm a nobody.  It's very VERY possible Peters fell in the former category, where he didn't quite hit the skill levels needed to be a "Master of all trades" in the secondary that some saw.  And if he doesn't hit those skill levels, then he truly would be a "tweener" and yeah, tweener CB who probably ends up at safety I don't have any heartburn about missing.

Time will tell.