Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

My grade for Peters, after seeing the total body of the draft, is B- for a couple of big reasons: 1). we got none of the LT prospects that we desperately need, 2). Compared to Howie Roseman who traded up and back while getting multiple picks for next years draft, Peters largely sat still during the draft and played the board as it came to him. I didn't see a whole lot of creativity from him other than the deal with Roseman which allowed the Eagles to swoop in and take Dejean. That deal may end up really impacting Peters grade one way or another. 

All that being said, as Bill Polian said today, you can't really grade a draft class for 4 years so we'll see how this all plays out. 

I'd give Peters an "A" for free agency but thought he'd be more aggressive during the draft. Still, I'm extremely excited to see this team continue to add pieces before opening day.

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

33 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I don't know who this Sam hartman guy is but my wife sure seems to like him.

Seems our QB room is made up of some pretty boys lol. My mom asked if i liked the JD pick and after i explained why i did, she said she saw some highlights and he's a cutie. Smiling emoji included. Idk, pops might have to square up with the kid 😂

• Haha 6

39 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Compared to Howie Roseman who traded up and back while getting multiple picks for next years draft, Peters largely sat still during the draft and played the board as it came to him. I didn't see a whole lot of creativity from him other than the deal with Roseman which allowed the Eagles to swoop in and take Dejean. That deal may end up really impacting Peters grade one way or another. 

A lot of that I think is he’s being new at it all on his own, and not a voice in the room as he’s been used to being,  but I agree the trade w/the Eagles is going to be a deal that impacts both teams for yrs good or bad… a telling sign is/was a Proven quality GM with a awesome track record wanting to move up 10 spots to grab DeJean… I tend to go with Howie and his decision making over the years… he’s 1 or 2 in the NFL for being a GM

Edited by Command The 414
  • Haha 1

Just my opinion. But this draft is far too defensive heavy when you are drafting a rookie QB at 2 overall. Really needed to give him some young guys to grow together with him along the OL. I have no idea how they are planning on fitting all of these in the box nickle type players on the roster? Quan, Luvo, Sainristril and Hampton? I am overall happy with this draft. The first 4 picks are all starting players imo. But it should have been 5 offensive and 4 defensive players. Possible Newton would have been an offensive player if we were able to trade up though. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Command The 414 said:

A lot of that I think is he’s being new at it all on his own, and not a voice in the room as he’s been used to being,  but I agree the trade w/the Eagles is going to be a deal that impacts both teams for yrs good or bad… a telling sign is/was a Proven quality GM with a awesome track record wanting to move up 10 spots to grab DeJean… I tend to go with Howie and his decision making over the years… 

I'm with ya, and I can't stand Roseman, but he may have had his best draft ever this weekend. That being said, I'm willing to give Peters a learning curve.

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Note to self - don’t spend hours watching day 3 or the draft, it’s completely illogical :rofl89:

It's more a "don't get enamored with specific players you think we may draft outside of a top 2-3 pick". Every year people have their favorites on day 3 and day 2 and 95% of the time we don't take them. Better to tier out your favorites by position, by day of the draft, so you're familiar w/the guys we do take, amongst the ones you liked, or ignored/didn't. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm with ya, and I can't stand Roseman, but he may have had his best draft ever this weekend. That being said, I'm willing to give Peters a learning curve.

Me too w/Peters… it takes time and nothing is perfect, I think despite what I think were a few reaches for positions of greater need at the time that over all AP did exactly what he set out to do….and despite not agreeing with several picks taken when they were taken, at least he didn’t do a Michael Penix at #8 pick like Atlanta did. That had to be the biggest reach at the time in a draft in a long time 

Edited by Command The 414

2 hours ago, profusion said:

If the league wants the NFLPA to agree to an 18-game schedule, they might have to expand the rosters. That would theoretically lead back to expanded draft. It used to be 13 rounds, if I recall correctly. They don't have to televise all of it!

It was I think as high as 18 at one point.

Players would want an expanded roster but they prefer free agency more.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Me too w/Peters… it takes time and nothing is perfect, I think despite what I think were a few reaches for positions of greater need at the time that over all AP did exactly what he set out to do….and despite not agreeing with several picks taken when they were taken, at least he didn’t do a Michael Penix at #8 pick like Atlanta did. That had to be the biggest reach at the time in a draft in a long time 

Doesn't matter to us, but don't agree about Penix.  That was a good pick IMO and they had the QBs rated appropriately.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

So now is Allen or Payne a trade candidate for an offensive lineman or stud WR (Samuel or Aiyuk)? 

No way you trade Allen or Payne. 

Payne can rush the passer as a 4 or 5 technique. 

Technically so can Allen. 

The dline rotation is going to be really strong for a few years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Doesn't matter to us, but don't agree about Penix.  That was a good pick IMO and they had the QBs rated appropriately.

You call a top 10 pick who wont see the field till 2027 at the earliest and who currently is 23 years old a good pick?  When you had a glaring need on D…. Agree to disagree on that 1  

For goodness sakes! We need an OT.  Sure be nice to sign Julian Pearl as an UDFA!  Wow.  D, D, D.  need some protection for your #2 overall pick.  He can't escape every time and OT is important. As loaded as this draft was and to only come away with one OT and none yet in UDFA!  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

You call a top 10 pick who wont see the field till 2027 at the earliest and who currently is 23 years old a good pick?  When you had a glaring need on D…. Agree to disagree on that 1  

All good, IMO the position is what matters most and securing it long term s/b every team's objective.  Think the Falcons did that here.

• Like 1