Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

36 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Aiyuk is going want 30 million a year at least. We already pay Terry 20+ million. If we didn’t have Terry or trade Terry. That’s too much for one position.

We can find a cheaper alternative in 2nd or 3rd round.

Terry will be 29 when the season starts. He’ll be aging out by the time Aiyuk’s bigger money kicks in if it’s structured well. It can easily be done without stressing the cap and keeping it healthy—we have no one to pay for a while, realistically. 

You can find a cheaper alternative in any round, technically. Sure. Someone as good, polished, and already playing at a pro bowl level—with built-in chemistry for your young QB? No. This isn’t Madden. It’s not always worth it to go for the young rookie contract 80 OVR player instead of the expensive young 90 OVR veteran. 

#1 priority has to be developing and maximizing your QB pick. Plenty of cap space to do that and not get in a bad spot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Was hoping for Nate Wiggins might make it to our pick. It's mind-boggling to me how the Ravens and the Eagles, almost irregardless of where they draft each year, have a great player fall into their lap without them doing anything about it. Yesterday, we read reports that the Eagles were desperate to trade up for a CB and then they ultimately stay put at 22 and once they are up, all corners are still available.

Must be some black magic in that area between Philadelphia and Baltimore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Dejean but wondering if a hybrid safety-corner is redundant for the defense.  But he's one of my favs.

Mitchell feels big time boom-bust both as a player and a personality but if they want to roll the dice, am OK with it.

Not okay with Mitchell if Ladd is available. Honestly just not okay with him period. Too sketched out. Will be interesting to see if we go with one here:

Ladd

Franklin

Mitchell

R. Wilson

Keon Coleman

Whats funny is every single one of them except Ladd has some red flags, maybe Wilson is good too but not quite as clean. Do they think somebody will last to round 3. I don't really see it, certainly not from this tier. But how do they see them? Do they want speed, size, just the best guy? Ladd seems obviously the safest, than probably Wilson, Franklin, Mitchell and Coleman are big 50/50 swings w/reasons to do it and reasons to pass. The guys that woudl upset me msot if we took them are probably Mitchell and Coleman, just because the red flags are HUGE with both, with Franklin its more just really confusing. But Ladd is the guy I want.

New England might take someone, same with Buffalo. So 2 could be off the board when we pick. San Diego and maybe Tennessee are risks between 37-39. Kinda glad we avoided trading up, plenty of WR talent still there. Would have liked an OT to fall to us or worth moving up for but it wasn't in the cards. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1

Pat McAfee Draft Briadcast with Bill Belichick (who was surprisingly very good).

Our pick comes shortly after tge 1 hr mark for those only interested in that.

They also interview Adam Peters, who shows genuine affection and respect for Belichick, that happens  a bit later.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A trade for Aiyuk would be sensational IMO. Offer a 2 and 4 next year. SF have a stack of picks coming up in this draft. Who cares about the contract. It would appear an ideal fit for both the team, and our rookie QB development. I would love that move. 

I want us to keep our 2 second rounders this year. I would actually consider adding a 5th rounder to #40 so that we have 2 of the first 4 picks in round, depending on our board.

or adding 67 or 78 and 100 together to get another second rounder. 

It’s going to be difficult to pass on a CB early day 2 in my opinion.

Potential day 2 options from the 30 visits….

Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale 

Austin Booker, DE/Edge, Kansas 

Chris Braswell, DE/Edge, Alabama 

Brandon Coleman, OT/OG, TCU 

Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 

Marshawn Kneeland, DE/Edge, Western Michigan 

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington 

Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas 

Caedan Wallace, OT Penn State 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WR - Malachi Corley 

Overview

Corley is a big, physical wideout who has been asked to carry a heavy workload for Western Kentucky using his talent after the catch. Corley’s highlight reel will be full of broken tackles and general carnage left in his wake. He’s an average route-runner with the tools to improve, but a disappointing drop rate and contested-catch rate are concerns relative to the way he plays the game in space. Like Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel when they were prospects, Corley has had a heavy percentage of his targets schemed around him and he will need to prove he can become more than just a quick-game bully or gadget guy. He’s good at what his team asked him to do, which is a great jump-off point for evaluators considering him as a Day 2 selection and future starter.

• Thumb up 1

Who would you trade down with for future draft picks? Imagine team X is calling you and wants e.g. #36 or #40 and you could trade 40 for their first rounder next year (or something comparable). You probably ain't going to do that trade with the Chiefs but there are surely teams you expect to suck next year which would make it interesting (e.g. Broncos, Patriots, Raiders, Texans).

Don't think it's realistic anyways but I think it's worth a thought if teams come calling.

WR - Troy Frankiln

Overview

The puzzle pieces are fairly easy to put together when assessing who Franklin is and who he could be in the NFL. He’s a tall, linear receiver with good speed. He’s sudden enough to beat press but lacks the play strength to win combat catches and fight for operating space underneath. He has an innate talent for avoiding traffic and maintaining his distance from pursuit after the catch on crossing routes on all three levels. Franklin might not get WR1 target volume, but he should be productive with a high yards-per-catch average and the ability to open things up underneath for his teammates. Franklin could become a coveted complementary piece for an established WR1 or a productive vertical target for a team looking for instant help in the passing game.

• Thanks 1

Don't like it. I wasn't crazy about any of our prospects at QB, but Daniels was the guy I wanted least. Aside from durability concerns, he doesn't seem like a leader or a tough guy to me- two very important traits you want your QB to have. I'm sure he'll show some electrifying flashes and highlights that suck you in, but my feeling is that he'll flame out sooner than later- whether it be because of injuries or the NFL game being too much for him.

I heard one of the analysts say last night that Herm Edwards said that Daniels reminds him of Randall Cunningham. Well, Herm Edwards was fired everywhere he coached and Randall Cunningham stunk- so how that was supposed to be some sort of ringing endorsement for Daniels is beyond me. But I digress.

I obviously hope I'm 100% wrong on this and will root like hell for and support Daniels. I just don't have a good feeling about him being our long term franchise QB and that leaves me feeling a little empty about last night.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 2

Ladd, Rakestraw, Colson, Wilson, Corley, Beebe, Corum, Benson, Sinnot, Sanders, Polk, JPJ, Van Pran are the guys I’d look at.

Love Dejean, too. 

Blake Fisher may be worth a flyer, but the tackles left don’t inspire me.

8 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Don't like it. I wasn't crazy about any of our prospects at QB, but Daniels was the guy I wanted least. Aside from durability concerns, he doesn't seem like a leader or a tough guy to me- two very important traits you want your QB to have. I'm sure he'll show some electrifying flashes and highlights that suck you in, but my feeling is that he'll flame out sooner than later- whether it be because of injuries or the NFL game being too much for him.

I heard one of the analysts say last night that Herm Edwards said that Daniels reminds him of Randall Cunningham. Well, Herm Edwards was fired everywhere he coached and Randall Cunningham stunk- so how that was supposed to be some sort of ringing endorsement for Daniels is beyond me. But I digress.

I obviously hope I'm 100% wrong on this and will root like hell for and support Daniels. I just don't have a good feeling about him being our long term franchise QB and that leaves me feeling a little empty about last night.

One small thought RE: Herm was fired everywhere he coached:

So was Belichick.

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 2

I think we’re still in a decent spot with OT. Not great, but not panic mode yet. We’ve missed out on several high upside players in that mid/late first round range. However many were also vastly inexperienced/raw. Would have been great to snag one, but many came with some element of risk. 

There are a few very solid tackles left. Many as you’d class them, lower ceilings, higher floor/safe prospects. We’ll get a solid OT. Maybe a couple of solid OL. 2025 might have to be the year to draft that stud.

Also, in terms of day 2, with picks at #36 and #40 it is more then feasible that we’ll have several first round grade players left on our board. Edit - or say top 30 grades. Just take 2 of them. Go BPA at the top of the second round. 

Then reassess need more. Move up from the third if we still need an OT.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ladd, Rakestraw, Colson, Wilson, Corley, Beebe, Corum, Benson, Sinnot, Sanders, Polk, JPJ, Van Pran are the guys I’d look at.

Love Dejean, too. 

Blake Fisher may be worth a flyer, but the tackles left don’t inspire me.

One small thought RE: Herm was fired everywhere he coached:

So was Belichick.

Ah you got me. @KDawg, you're the best.

• Haha 1

Also... Watching Belichick's thoughts on Daniels reinforced some of my concerns with Daniels. 

Misses open passes, doesn't throw well inside the numbers, takes big hits.

Which I am hopeful can be fixed with coaching as long as he does the thing that unlocks everything else: Stay healthy and protect himself. If he's available to practice, he's going to get much better.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Also... Watching Belichick's thoughts on Daniels reinforced some of my concerns with Daniels. 

Which I am hopeful can be fixed with coaching as long as he does the thing that unlocks everything else: Stay healthy and protect himself. If he's available to practice, he's going to get much better.

Your worried about what Belichick said? he is one of the worst talent evaluators.You can nitpick every pick.

4 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Not okay with Mitchell if Ladd is available. Honestly just not okay with him period. Too sketched out. Will be interesting to see if we go with one here:

Ladd

Franklin

Mitchell

R. Wilson

Keon Coleman

Whats funny is every single one of them except Ladd has some red flags, maybe Wilson is good too but not quite as clean. Do they think somebody will last to round 3. I don't really see it, certainly not from this tier. But how do they see them? Do they want speed, size, just the best guy? Ladd seems obviously the safest, than probably Wilson, Franklin, Mitchell and Coleman are big 50/50 swings w/reasons to do it and reasons to pass. The guys that woudl upset me msot if we took them are probably Mitchell and Coleman, just because the red flags are HUGE with both, with Franklin its more just really confusing. But Ladd is the guy I want.

New England might take someone, same with Buffalo. So 2 could be off the board when we pick. San Diego and maybe Tennessee are risks between 37-39. Kinda glad we avoided trading up, plenty of WR talent still there. Would have liked an OT to fall to us or worth moving up for but it wasn't in the cards. 

As for WRs, this is the list IMO of WRs that fit Daniels in some aspect.  I'd put Burton high on the list too but heard he's off some teams board based on character issues

As for Adonai am lower on him than most.  As I am lower also on Franklin.  But as I discussed with you in other posts, I don't always assume that i am right and the masses are wrong.  So I got an open mind.

As for Adonai, he's good at seperating.  Has killer speed.  Tracks the ball well.  Good at beat man-press.  Good at out routes which is what Daniels specializes in.

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 6.43.08 AM.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coopskin44 said:

Your worried about what Belichick said? he is one of the worst talent evaluators.You can nitpick every pick.

He was INCREDIBLE on TV.  He was doing that for every player.  ESPN should have just had him with some standard no-name host go through every pick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

He purposely did good and bad for others too that I watched.  He was tougher on Maye than he was Daniels.  With Maye he talked about him feeling pressure when it wasn't there, not going through his reads, inaccuracy, etc.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for WRs, this is the list IMO of WRs that fit Daniels in some aspect.  I'd put Burton high on the list too but heard he's off some teams board based on character issues

As for Adonai am lower on him than most.  As I am lower also on Franklin.  But as I discussed with you in other posts, I don't always assume that i am right and the masses are wrong.  So I got an open mind.

As for Adonai, he's good at seperating.  Has killer speed.  Tracks the ball well.  Good at beat man-press.  Good at out routes which is what Daniels specializes in.

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 6.43.08 AM.png

Absolutely give me Ladd - production wasn't amazing at Georgia, but has the skills to play all of the WR positions.

6 minutes ago, Coopskin44 said:

First off: The man won several Super Bowls as coach and GM. I'd say some respect for his opinions is warranted. Especially considering our fanbase is saying we should trust Adam Peters judgement because he's a pro GM and we aren't. I'd say that same respect, multiplied by about 1000x, should be applied to Belichick.

Second, no. I'm not worried about what Belichick said. I'm worried that his opinion matched mine.

Third, as I said: I think it's all fixable. As long as he's healthy. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He purposely did good and bad for others too that I watched.  He was tougher on Maye than he was Daniels.  With Maye he talked about him feeling pressure when it wasn't there, inaccuracy, etc.

Yes. I saw them all. I don't care what he said about the others, though. They aren't our QB.