Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

What LTs are still available?

If you look any the pattern of acquisitions the last two days, GMAP is looking for players 30 or under, who are willing to take short-term deals and sign for reasonable money.

I think the guys that fit these criteria are Trent Brown, Josh Jones and Mekhi Becton. Jonah Williams likely wants too much term and dough, while Tyron Smith & David Bahktiari are too old/injured.

No slam dunks out there. If it was me, I'd take the flyer on Becton.

Edited by Stoox

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Chargers running back Austin Ekeler strides into the room like the giant he is. He's only 5-foot-10, but his height belies a spirit that stretches him far taller. Ekeler is in Santa Barbara to open a state-of-the art gym at one of the oldest high schools in the state, Santa Barbara High School. It's something these 2,200 students have never really had and something that is near and dear to his heart.

"I never really thought about it and I listened to my community," he said as the gym opened June 16 with about 30 student-athletes present. "They asked, 'Austin, what did you do to get so far and make all these accomplishments?' and I started thinking about it."

And he realized it was in the weight room where his dreams took root.

Ekeler is a workout obsessive with washboard abs and bulging biceps. He got them by always proving what nobody really thought he could do at 5-10. Mainly play running back in the NFL, which he has done since making the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2017.

But he also worked hard in the weight room, and when he learned that Santa Barbara High was filled with students who, like him at one time, lacked resources to build muscles and encourage wellness, he called on his own newly formed foundation -- the Austin Ekeler Foundation -- for help and found an empty space at Santa Barbara High School.

Austin Ekeler is helping provide gyms to youth athletes in Southern California through his personal foundation. Shelley Smith/ESPN

"It's a beautiful place, but it's 70% free and reduced lunch," Ekeler said. "They need help. It's not a private school where they get tons of funds, not everything is given to them. They needed our help, and I saw an opportunity to do so."

Ekeler knows something about not having anything given to him. He was raised in tiny Eaton, Colorado, by a single mother. He had to do chores while living on a farm, such as breaking apart frozen ice in water tanks so the animals could have water. He built fences and lugged feed. It's where he says he developed his work ethic; football became a way out.

He was recruited by Division II Western State (now known as Western Colorado University), located in Gunnison, Colorado, with an enrollment of 3,500. Ekeler went on to break every rushing record the school had, scoring 63 touchdowns and finishing with 5,857 career rushing yards. And it's where he developed the air-guitar celebration as a touchdown dance, which he still does as a Charger.

Ekeler's now a superstar as a go-to back and receiver. It's what he knows.

He's also determined to be more than a football player, volunteering his time at Bethune Middle School in Los Angeles to enforce the importance of youth wellness. Ekeler and his girlfriend, Taylor Frick, also do workout videos that are "slightly" unorthodox with her on his shoulders as he squats and on his back for pushups.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/318456/chargers-austin-ekeler-uses-dogged-work-ethic-to-pay-it-forward-to-young-athletes

He's also been super cool to the fantasy and dynasty community, just a random thing, but it sticks out. 

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 Free Agency & Trades Thread - OUT: Logan Thomas, Leno, Gibson, Brissett, Saahdiq Charles IN: TE Ertz, DE Armstrong, C Biadasz, LB Luvu, RB Ekeler, K McManus, LG Allegretti, DE Ferrell, QB Mariota, DE Fowler Jr., LS Ott, S Chinn

Whoa, we let Saahdiq Charles leave? Mark Schlereth basically said that he was completely and utterly phenomenal. During atleast one broadcast of our games, he said he was a centerpiece to build around!!!! I guess the Titans will get to build around him, instead of us 😥

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

This one is not official yet, and not from any credible source. Posted by a guy with 5 followers and 3 posts.

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Sneed prob now off the market :(

That and they may be making a move on a 1 year deal for Tyron from Dallas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

KC is a good spot for T Smith to chase a ring in the twilight of his career.

That's the reason why we see the signings that we have as good vets often chase championships when they switch teams. 

• Like 1

Tyler Boyd from Cincinnati could be a potential WR target. 6' 2" 203 lb slot receiver who may want to get time outside as well.

Boyd and Dotson could compete to be the Z receiver and both can play the Y/slot position. Shouldn't break the bank as Boyd is entering his age 29/30 season (November bday). Has remained pretty healthy throughout his career and hit 1K yards in 2019. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UKskins said:

Would be interesting to see what DQ and Whitt could cook up for him.... if they thought he had the heart and the juice, then I wouldn't hate it at a reasonable price. He has got that gamechanger ability...

He really doesn’t. He’s not just lazy sometimes. He legitimately does not have the athleticism he came into the league with. And it was overhyped from the get go imo, but it doesn’t matter whether I’m right or wrong on that point because he’s a shadow of himself with a deteriorating knee that would scare (and has) most teams away from him even if he had incredible heart.

42 minutes ago, Stoox said:

This one is not official yet, and not from any credible source. Posted by a guy with 5 followers and 3 posts.

5 followers while covering 2 pro teams?  Ok Papa Curl

Edited by RabidFan
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed, if we talking signing a free WR at this point I don't know why we let Samuels walk...

There’s something to be said for fumigating the locker room, even if you lose some good players in the process—because the more tainted players you get rid of, the more immediate the culture shift can be. This roster is about to be almost 40% new by the time the season starts. Or close to it. That’s huge. If we sign Marquise Brown I’m not going to be worrying about the 60/800/4 or whatever we could’ve gotten out of Samuel even if the Brown signing doesn’t work out. It’s a new day. I’m ready to not see most of those Snyder era players ever again, even if they weren’t bad. 

5 hours ago, illone said:

Ridley is really good, one of the most polished route runners before the suspension. 

Id take him over Hollywood Brown any day, but Brown drops alot of passes and Im betting that Ridley can return to form + last year was a down year for him. 

Ridley will take that bet (and get suspended by the NFL for it) 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Nah, I think they're at most, maybe a touch better, but this is a 2-3 year thing, I no longer think we're as bad as next year, but I think expectation should be 5-6, ceiling should be 7, floor is probably 3-4. People seeing 8-9, yeah, its technically possible, but that kind of season will mean we hit an absolute grand slam at QB, and had few to no critical injuries to speak of, and a lot of ceiling/contract years from these 1 year guys. That's a lot to bet on. 

Not really, we could have easily won 7 games this year even after the guys began to fully quit. Things just went our way. That was with a historically bad defense and mostly very bad QB play down the stretch. And the schedule will be easier. 

I’m not saying this is a playoff team but I don’t think 7 wins is the ceiling, necessarily. Even with a rookie QB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Conn said:

There’s something to be said for fumigating the locker room, even if you lose some good players in the process—because the more tainted players you get rid of, the more immediate the culture shift can be. This roster is about to be almost 40% new by the time the season starts. Or close to it. That’s huge. If we sign Marquise Brown I’m not going to be worrying about the 60/800/4 or whatever we could’ve gotten out of Samuel even if the Brown signing doesn’t work out. It’s a new day. I’m ready to not see most of those Snyder era players ever again, even if they weren’t bad. 

That's feels good, but numbers don't add up.

It doesn't need to, that I agree on, jus saying Curtis in particular is addition by subtraction I disagree with.

Unless Terry and Dotson are who they say they are we don't really have a lot of weapons. There are some spots on the roster I don't want to die on a hill on to prevent filling it. Like LT.

Right now our front 7 looks nasty enough to make up for my concerns in the secondary. We about to do RBBC on offense, a last contract TE and our #2 receiver is 23.

Old enough to remember folks making case to draft Harrison Jr if he's there, the situation that fueled that debate from a skills position standpoint hasn't changed that much since then.

I haven't shut door in Samuels coming back because of it, he can do a lot of things that are still value while not being great at it, jus wish we could draft someone like that instead and save money.

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

A lot depends on how all of these new players gel together. This is A LOT of turnover for a football team. I guess the one good thing is multiple players from the same team. So they are familiar with at least those guys. 

Arguably the best time to have THIS much turnover is when everyone is learning new schemes anyways. Actually, with some of the vets we’re bringing in who have played for some of our coaches, there will technically be less learning going on than if the roster stayed exactly the same. That’s a convoluted way to look at it but technically true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Still hoping Commanders make Jonah Williams our big offseason Christmas present, but if they decide it's too much money, I'd rather they go after Josh Jones (stuck behind LT studs in Arizona (Humphries) and Houston (Tunsil) than some of the other characters available. Jones fits the apparent mold GMAP is using - young, high upside players without personal red flags.

Tyron Smith is too old, too injured, too expensive.  Trent Brown is just too ... Trent Brown-ish for this team, I think, based on what they've said about the kind of people they're looking for. Same goes for Becton, who has earned his reputation as a slacker. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Still hoping Commanders make Jonah Williams our big offseason Christmas present, but if they decide it's too much money, I'd rather they go after Josh Jones (stuck behind LT studs in Arizona (Humphries) and Houston (Tunsil) than some of the other characters available. Jones fits the apparent mold GMAP is using - young, high upside players without personal red flags.

Tyron Smith is too old, too injured, too expensive.  Trent Brown is just too ... Trent Brown-ish for this team, I think, based on what they've said about the kind of people they're looking for. Same goes for Becton, who has earned his reputation as a slacker. 

If not Josh Jones, they could try to squeeze a year or two out of George Fant who was most recently in Houston, as well.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Howell is probably gone. Maybe we get a 5th for him.

Howell will be.  He went from starter to 3rd string. If he doesn’t get traded, he’ll probably asked to be released. He’s going to want to go somewhere where he can at least be the backup and maybe have a shot at starting; that’s not happening here.

We can find another 3rd stringer.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I'd target Mike Williams if he becomes a cap casualty for the Chargers. 1K yard receiving talent, entering his age 30 season coming off an ACL tear, 6' 4" 218 bigger bodied target for the rook opposite Terry. Shouldn't cost a fortune given the age and injury history but could have a bounce-back year along with his buddy Ekeler.

This is the first guy you have suggested I'd be up for going after lol. I'd consider trading a 6th or 7th for him, especially given the forecast that this draft will suck anyway 5th round and onward due to the high degree of underclassmen headed back to school. 

He is due a $17M base salary and $3M roster bonus (could maybe split that with the Chargers) so it would essentially be a 1 year $20M deal, which is probably a slight overpay for a player of his caliber but something I'd be fine with given there is a year on his deal. 

Maybe Lynn could sell him on coming here but not sure we are the ideal spot for a receiver to land for a prove it situation so I think we'd have to trade for him.

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Tyler Boyd from Cincinnati could be a potential WR target. 6' 2" 203 lb slot receiver who may want to get time outside as well.

Boyd and Dotson could compete to be the Z receiver and both can play the Y/slot position. Shouldn't break the bank as Boyd is entering his age 29/30 season (November bday). Has remained pretty healthy throughout his career and hit 1K yards in 2019. 

I'm a total no a 30 year old slot receiver when this draft is LOADED with slot receivers. I bet you we could find a slot receiver who could contribute quickly in round 4 or 5

• Haha 1