Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Keim's new podcast

A.  They want to add culture setters to that locker room, Ertz fits that

B. Doesn't expect Barton, Gibson and Samuel back

C. Curl might be back.  He seems to think they could get it done before FA but if he hits the market he thinks better shot he leaves than stays.  One insider type thught he could get 8 million in FA a year.

D.  If they sign older veteran FA types, ala T. Smith it would be for 1 year contracts in all likelihod

E.  He thinks good shot they bring either Toohill or Williams back

F.  Wasn't sure about Fuller it seemed one way or another

G.  Does expect some Dallas defense FAs coming here, mentioned possible DE, CB, S

H.  Thinks they likely sign Oren Burks to help special teams

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 9.52.43 AM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kam not happy about this one. He wanted to test the market and find out what he's worth. He is gonna get a rude awakening imo. No one from last years historically awful defense is worth top money. None of them. 

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

They actually assigned him his 5th year option as a DE, which is less money compared to what a LB would be assigned….

As expected, the Dallas Cowboys are going to pick up Micah Parsons' fifth-year option. The surprise, however, is how Dallas is conducting said business. 

Parsons will receive his option as a defensive end and not as a linebacker, according to The Dallas Morning News. By doing so, the Cowboys will save roughly $3 million. Parsons would make $21.32 as a defensive end for the 2025 season if he plays under his option. He would make $24 million as a linebacker. 

Thats gonna make him real happy. And what a crappy thing to do to probably the best player on your team. 

• Like 6

We need a couple of safeties, and having spent recently on the position with draft capital, I wouldn't mind landing a couple in FA.

Give me SS Jayron Kearse on a 2 year $8m deal.

Give me FS Justin Simmons on a 3 year, $30m deal.

Bring back Reaves on the cheap.

I know we like Derrick Forrest. And he's played well. So maybe Simmons is overkill. But I like the idea of having multiple high-end safeties and the market will be deflated. 

SS: Kearse, Reaves

FS: Simmons, Forrest, Butler

Keeps the CB situation fluid with Martin sticking at CB in the NCB spot. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I feel like you don't really ever need to draft a kicker unless they're just this can't-miss prospect. 

Nah, QB in the first round, kicker in the 7th round, all the irrelevant bits in between that :ols:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinks they likely sign Oren Burks to help special teams

Linebacker Oren Burks

The 49ers signed Burks to the roster in free agency following the conclusion of the 2021 campaign. After four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, Burks joined a linebacker corps led by Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw and took on a larger role in his second year, following the departure of Azeez Al-Shaair in free agency.

Burks also brought veteran special teams experience to The Bay and went on to put together his best statistical season of his career in 2023. He racked up 46 total tackles, an interception and fumble recovery over the course of the regular season.

"Burks will always carry special teams value, which should establish a higher floor for him contractually, in line with recently signed linebackers Zaire Franklin and Jalen Reeves-Maybin, among others."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We need a couple of safeties, and having spent recently on the position with draft capital, I wouldn't mind landing a couple in FA.

I know we like Derrick Forrest. And he's played well. So maybe Simmons is overkill. But I like the idea of having multiple high-end safeties and the market will be deflated. 

Yeah, if they’re indeed leaning heavily into fairly frugal spending with an eye toward building in the draft, considering the market saturation, this might be one of the few/only spots I’d look to a longer term contract.  I’m a pretty big fan of Forrest’s abilities/potential though, so I would hesitate on walling him off from a starting gig. 

I have no idea about fit, but the other one that jumps out to me - looking into taking advantage of Conner Williams’ injury status to get him on a reasonable, longer term deal.

30 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

They actually assigned him his 5th year option as a DE, which is less money compared to what a LB would be assigned….

As expected, the Dallas Cowboys are going to pick up Micah Parsons' fifth-year option. The surprise, however, is how Dallas is conducting said business. 

Parsons will receive his option as a defensive end and not as a linebacker, according to The Dallas Morning News. By doing so, the Cowboys will save roughly $3 million. Parsons would make $21.32 as a defensive end for the 2025 season if he plays under his option. He would make $24 million as a linebacker. 

There's something weird with the salary numbers. I think they need to re-adjust what salaries go into which group.

There's no way that $24 million should be the cost for LB, for Micah's tier it's supposed to be the average of the top 5 LB's. But $24 million is way above that. Likewise, the $21 million for DE seems like 7-8 million lower than it should be. The contracts for the Top 5 Edge rushers and the Top 5 LB's are not being used for the salary calculations. So the league must view Edge rushers and LB's differently than the positions we know of? This is all confusing.

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Linebacker Oren Burks

The 49ers signed Burks to the roster in free agency following the conclusion of the 2021 campaign. After four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, Burks joined a linebacker corps led by Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw and took on a larger role in his second year, following the departure of Azeez Al-Shaair in free agency.

Burks also brought veteran special teams experience to The Bay and went on to put together his best statistical season of his career in 2023. He racked up 46 total tackles, an interception and fumble recovery over the course of the regular season.

"Burks will always carry special teams value, which should establish a higher floor for him contractually, in line with recently signed linebackers Zaire Franklin and Jalen Reeves-Maybin, among others."

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's new podcast

A.  They want to add culture setters to that locker room, Ertz fits that

B. Doesn't expect Barton, Gibson and Samuel back

C. Curl might be back.  He seems to think they could get it done before FA but if he hits the market he thinks better shot he leaves than stays.  One insider type thught he could get 8 million in FA a year.

D.  If they sign older veteran FA types, ala T. Smith it would be for 1 year contracts in all likelihod

E.  He thinks good shot they bring either Toohill or Williams back

F.  Wasn't sure about Fuller it seemed one way or another

G.  Does expect some Dallas defense FAs coming here, mentioned possible DE, CB, S

H.  Thinks they likely sign Oren Burks to help special teams

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 9.52.43 AM.png

Are we sure he isnt the guy from the Old Spice commercials?

l-intro-1626096494.jpg

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Bring back Reaves on the cheap.

There are a lot of good safeties hitting the open market. 

Safeties recently added to the free agent market:
Justin Simmons
Jordan Poyer
Jamal Adams
Kevin Byard
Quandre Diggs
Rayshawn Jenkins
Eddie Jackson

Id rather keep and pay Curl - the market is not there for him to get a big free agent deal IMO. He may not be thinking that and so it’s a hard deal for us to get done.

There will be good options to add at that position though either way. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

There's something weird with the salary numbers. I think they need to re-adjust what salaries go into which group.

There's no way that $24 million should be the cost for LB, for Micah's tier it's supposed to be the average of the top 5 LB's. But $24 million is way above that. Likewise, the $21 million for DE seems like 7-8 million lower than it should be. The contracts for the Top 5 Edge rushers and the Top 5 LB's are not being used for the salary calculations. So the league must view Edge rushers and LB's differently than the positions we know of? This is all confusing.

Yeah, same here, I would’ve thought DE more than LB?? Guess not. Either way, I’m surprised Dallas is screwing with Parsons like that over 3 million, although it’s fair to say that DE is in fact his predominant position.

22 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think there are specific rules based on snap counts for how player positions are defined for this purpose. It’s not just a choice the Cowboys can make.

It’s just ‘most snaps’ I think. So if Parsons lined up more at DE than backer that’s how he is viewed. It gets blurry though with stand up DE versus hand on the ground etc. But there are rules around this.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I think there are specific rules based on snap counts for how player positions are defined for this purpose. It’s not just a choice the Cowboys can make.

It’s just ‘most snaps’ I think. So if Parsons lined up more at DE than backer that’s how he is viewed. It gets blurry though with stand up DE versus hand on the ground etc. But there are rules around this.

Well, that’s no fun. Don’t you realize we’re trying to create a narrative where Parsons has a falling out with the Cowboys and decides to follow his favorite coach to DC??? 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

Well, that’s no fun. Don’t you realize we’re trying to create a narrative where Parsons has a falling out with the Cowboys and decides to follow his favorite coach to DC??? 😎

I'm here all week.

Again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Facts. These positions are where the good deals are in free agency. Premium positions are better left for the draft for the most part. It’s more important to have those Rookie salaries at the premium positions. This is why I keep saying it’s not the worst idea to sign a vet RB, even though I mostly get blasted when I say it.

38 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think the issue is that you’re using the term “Edge rusher,” which the league doesn’t use. They treat 3-4 OLBs as LBs, and they’re separated from the 4-3 DEs. It also appears they aren’t using contract extensions that kick in this year (which eliminates guys like Nick Bosa, Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary). 

So for the LBs, you have TJ Watt ($28M), Joey Bosa ($27M), Khalil Mack ($23.5M), Bradley Chubb ($22M), and Fred Warner ($19M). That’s where your $24M number comes from. 

And for the DEs, you have Myles Garrett ($25M), Maxx Crosby ($23.5M), Trey Hendrickson ($21M), Von Miller ($20M), and either Arik Armstead or Dremont Jones ($17M), which gives you the $21M number.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

Facts. These positions are where the good deals are in free agency. Premium positions are better left for the draft for the most part. It’s more important to have those Rookie salaries at the premium positions. This is why I keep saying it’s not the worst idea to sign a vet RB, even though I mostly get blasted when I say it.

The difference with RB is they fall off a cliff typically in their late 20s.  Not the case for safeties, LBs, etc.

Typically, it makes the most sense to draft: QB, OT, WR, DE, CB

Typically good deals in FA can be found with: C, S, TE, RB, LB

I find that the tier-2 non-premier/day one signings at TE, RB, LB, CB and S tend to be the best values.

This off-season lines up well for us. The only places that don't seem to be a good match are CB and DE. I continue to think that our CBs can / will be coached up (with an added veteran 1 year deal) and any attempt at a franchise-type DE will have to be kicked to a future draft. Any signings will be stopgaps there.

• Like 1

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Typically, it makes the most sense to draft: QB, OT, WR, DE, CB

Typically good deals in FA can be found with: C, S, TE, RB, LB

I find that the tier-2 non-premier/day one signings at TE, RB, LB, CB and S tend to be the best values.

This off-season lines up well for us. The only places that don't seem to be a good match are CB and DE. I continue to think that our CBs can / will be coached up (with an added veteran 1 year deal) and any attempt at a franchise-type DE will have to be kicked to a future draft. Any signings will be stopgaps there.

What about OG?

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The difference with RB is they fall off a cliff typically in their late 20s.  Not the case for safeties, LBs, etc.

Agreed. I’m only advocating for a short term deal with an RB. Two years max, at which point you can replace them with somebody else, also on the cheap. Safety or LB, I agree it’s more appropriate to make a longer-term offer for the right player.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

What about OG?

Guard feels like a value in the 3rd-4th round range of most drafts. It also feels like an in-between. Guards are getting paid big $$ now. So I think that's still a position that you can maximize if you draft well. Keep hitting on the position in R3-5 and you're likely to churn on some quality starters. The draft hasn't quite caught up with the positional $$ value IMO. Yes you'll have your occasional guys who are T/G tweeners going in the Top 15 (Scherff, Skoronski), but for the most part the best guards usually fall to Late 1st Early 2nd, and quality Guards are to be had in the middle rounds.

John Simpson is a good example. He's someone I liked coming out of college. He presumably played really well in BAL this year and could get a good $$ contract in FA. They drafted him in R4. Trey Smith is another guy. Really liked him coming out, really wanted us to draft him. He went in R6 to the Chiefs. When he hits FA, he'll be getting a huge deal. I also really like Mike Onwenu coming out. He went in R6 and is about to get paid.

For whatever reason I have really liked a lot of mid-round guys at Guard. We never get the guys I really like. I probably just forget the names of the other mid-round Guards that have done absolutely nothing, but I really liked those 3 and all 3 are high-end starters.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins