Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:
1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seems like the ideal time to do exactly that IMO

Why exactly?

Justin Jefferson on the other hand, that’s a WR I’d be willing to give up assets and set contract records for.

Aiyuk, if we wanted him so bad, could wait a season and not give up anything but $.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why exactly?

Justin Jefferson on the other hand, that’s a WR I’d be willing to give up assets and set contract records for.

Aiyuk, if we wanted him so bad, could wait a season and not give up anything but $.

Aiyuk is a stud who won’t hit free agency.

We’ve gone all in, 20+ free agents, drafted a franchise QB, nailed the draft, on paper for now, we have a need for another quality WR, still rank 2nd in available cap space, have 100mil+ in space next year, Aiyuk and Daniels have a great relationship. 

No brainer.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We’ve gone all in, 20+ free agents, drafted a franchise QB, nailed the draft, on paper for now, we have a need for another quality WR, still rank 2nd in available cap space, have 100mil+ in space next year, Aiyuk and Daniels have a great relationship. 

No brainer.

I know there is a clear difference but how does Tyler Boyd compare to Aiyuk in terms of skill set?

25 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

No brainer.

well at least those two have played together. as for the rest of the team and coaches....i predict its going to be something

Edited by dunfer

If we could get Aiyuk for a 3rd and give him a good contract (25-28mil/ year)  .. i'd go with that! 

Terry is only here for one more year anyway.. team has an out after 24 with only an 11mil cap hit.  So you would have both him and Terry for a year, and then rid ourselves of Terries contract.. and if 24 goes well, it will be a late 3rd round pick. 

18 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I know there is a clear difference but how does Tyler Boyd compare to Aiyuk in terms of skill set?

I think from memory Boyd is a slot receiver, and that’s really what we’ve just drafted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I think from memory Boyd is a slot receiver, and that’s really what we’ve just drafted.

iirc he moved to the slot after Higgins and chase were drafted...but I might be misremembering. was just wondering if he offered a similar skill set without having to give up draft capital (I never studied him closely, I just always thought he was a good #2). anything higher than a 3rd for Aiyuk with his upcoming contract demands makes me hesitant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Anyway…what’s would you offer SF for Aiyuk…let’s gauge interest….

NO ...

NO ...

Bad Dog

Don't make me get the rolled up newspaper

giphy.gif

;)

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

iirc he moved to the slot after Higgins and chase were drafted...but I might be misremembering. was just wondering if he offered a similar skill set without having to give up draft capital (I never studied him closely, I just always thought he was a good #2). anything higher than a 3rd for Aiyuk with his upcoming contract demands makes me hesitant.

Just been reading there that the Steelers are in on him. A few other unnamed teams too. Excellent receiver. I mentioned. Gallup yesterday. There are several options at varying costs.

Point being for me, I want us to keep the foot down. Another WR would be a strong move IMO. Much like OT, less so now at CB for me. 

• Like 2

The Aiyuk-Daniels chemistry and friendship makes this about way more than adding a high-caliber receiver to the WR room.

To those saying "get an LT first", that doesn't make sense. You can do two things at once, and one does not preclude the other. We have healthy cap space and the high-priced LTs are gone by now anyway, so it's not like we're picking which position to hand a big contract to.

Of course, the cost has to make sense. I'm not saying go trade a 1st round pick for the guy. But I would do a 3rd and a 5th.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

The Aiyuk-Daniels chemistry and friendship makes this about way more than adding a high-caliber receiver to the WR room.

To those saying "get an LT first", that doesn't make sense. You can do two things at once, and one does not preclude the other. We have healthy cap space and the high-priced LTs are gone by now anyway, so it's not like we're picking which position to hand a big contract to.

Of course, the cost has to make sense. I'm not saying go trade a 1st round pick for the guy. But I would do a 3rd and a 5th.

According to Spotrac:

We've got $43m in cap space right now

We've got $122m in cap space next year

Those do not factor in the rookie contracts. So in reality, you're looking at about $32m on the Top 51 today - plenty of $$ to go out and get a Tackle or whoever else post-draft we want to sign, and my expectation is we'll be rolling a minimum of $15m into 2025, which will likely get us back up into the $100+m cap range next off-season.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

You may not be able to do both things if you are talking about giving capital away for Aiyuk. The same draft comp may preclude a trade for someone like a Bolles or Kolton Miller and, if I have to give up draft comp, I am getting the left tackle.

The friendship may or may not help. To the outside eye, it seems that the Hurts-AJ Brown relationship deteriorated last season after they had been friends for years. It could also cause chemistry issues gelling with the other receivers.

Edited by method man
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’ve drafted Coleman as our LT of the future. Perhaps we pick up a vet OT on a one year deal for the interim.

I think he gets a look at OT but ends up kicking inside and being a very very solid OG. Lucas probably starts at LT and will be serviceable - but its highly likely that our long term LT of the future is not on the roster and might not be until next year. Same with RT tbh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I think he gets a look at OT but ends up kicking inside and being a very very solid OG. Lucas probably starts at LT and will be serviceable - but its highly likely that our long term LT of the future is not on the roster and might not be until next year. Same with RT tbh.

which makes you question if Daniels will even be qb1 to worry about if we have an elite wr room

9 minutes ago, dunfer said:

which makes you question if Daniels will even be qb1 to worry about if we have an elite wr room

I’d be very surprised if Daniels is not opening day starter. I understand where you are coming from - but I’d also be surprised if we don’t make some kind of other move at OT before opening day.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I’d be very surprised if Daniels is not opening day starter. I understand where you are coming from - but I’d also be surprised if we don’t make some kind of other move at OT before opening day.

I would and i wouldnt. 2nd pick should be a day 1 starter, but i dont really know these guys. If they sat the kid until they knew the line wasnt going to kill him id be impressed

On Aiyuk:

I’d give SF a 2025 3rd and 2026 4th. Make the 2026 pick conditional on production and getting an extension done.

I’d happily pay market value for him on an extension—for a 3 or 4 year deal, not longer. We have plenty of cap for the next few years and nobody to spend it on unless we go hog wild in FA next year after Daniels shows us what he is as a rookie.

Very few people currently on the roster will deserve or earn that money in that window. Most of our promising players are either too old to be seriously paid again in that window or too young to be seriously paid in that window. We’re really in a spot right now to get Jayden some pieces to accelerate his development and act as force multipliers for the value of that #2 pick we just used. People balking at the idea of using that cap space on a vet right now aren’t really thinking it through all the way, imo. Other than Cosmi (who should be extended now btw) who is really on track to need that earmarked cap space in the next few years? Nobody we just drafted will be eligible for new money until going into their fourth season. 

The value I place on giving Daniels the best chance to develop on his rookie contract is immense. I’d also look into OT help, for those who think prioritizing WR is dumb. It’s not a zero sum game, necessarily. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why exactly?

A entire year of Jayden Daniels’ development has a tangible value to us imo. Potentially waiting until next offseason could slow down his development. Maybe it won’t! But the more comfortable he is, the more help he has, the earlier, the better imo. We need to get him to a skill, production, and leadership level—while he’s on his rookie contract—that allows us to compete in the playoffs. And do well enough there in the next 4-5 years that he’s worth paying top of market money to at the end of his rookie contract. So investing in (and even overpaying) weapons now to get him to that point where he can carry us later, when his weapons will necessarily take up less cap space as he eventually take up more of it—it’s hard to put a price on that imo. 

If he doesn’t develop into a monster QB, that’s bad for us. There’s a tangible value to juicing his development even if it costs us in the short term. The short term is when we can afford it anyways, though, looking at our roster and cap space. 

I wonder if the disconnect here is just how good some of us think Aiyuk is. He’s not JJ but he’s basically a top-10 WR in the league imo. 

There’s also a unique modifier here in Daniels’ close relationship with Aiyuk. That’s a fairly rare opportunity to support your franchise QB (who is known to be more of a lead by example guy than a rah rah guy) and get one of his guys in there to support him (and hopefully help him put up video game numbers). I wouldn’t overweight it in the calculus of the situation but it’s definitely worth mentioning. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Aiyuk for a 3rd and 1st round CB with 4 more years on a rookie contract...and year supply of milk shakes, burgers and fries for she weight training

I was thinking the same thing. Straight up player swap with no extra pick. 

Edit: I still think Forbes can be an outstanding CB for us with some quality coaching. As some here have stated, he's not quite the DQ-mold as far as what Dan looks for because of his rail-thin build, and DQ wants heavy hitters. But he is a healthy 1st round CB with elite traits. He's still worth a 1st regardless of weather he fits OUR new system or not.

Edited by mudhog
  • Like 1