Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Thanks for posting the press conference video's. My only complaint about these are I wish there were microphones that could pick up the reporters questions.

Also, I think Tress Way has a future in broadcasting once his playing days are over. He's very personable and has a strong voice. He'd do well.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I wish there were microphones that could pick up the reporters questions

You don't like the jeopardy style press conferences?

It's always aggravated me too, in this day and age how can they not have this resolved.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hindsight is 20/20. But I can't remember any conversations after maybe Jan/Feb last year about who would be the #1 pick. Everyone, from media to insiders all had Bryce Young as #1. It was all about his height, hand size, etc. and a lot of the discussion around Stroud was whether or not he would go #2 or fall. Richardson was a riser ala JJ McCarthy and he played really well too, albeit in 1.5 games lol. But QBs going 1-2-3 was not a sure-fire going into the draft last year.

This year's class was stronger going into the college season with Caleb and Maye almost universally being 1a and 1b although, Caleb was always the 1a. 

Daniels is the newcomer. We were talking about him as a mid to late 1st as late as December/January. JJ McCarthy was a R2 guy for most of the off-season until what, like 1 month ago?

I HOPE this isn't a draft where we look back and say "thank god Chicago took x" ... I am really hoping this draft is more like the 2020 draft, where arguably all 3 QBs taken early panned out.

If you told us that we could have either Burrow, Herbert or Tua on a rookie contract coming out of this draft, I think we'd be thrilled. I think there's a real chance 3 of these guys hit, maybe even 4-5 if Penix, McCarthy or Nix deliver. I know the odds of that happening aren't great, but it is a strong class by comparison.

And "everyone" this year has Williams #1.

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hindsight is 20/20. But I can't remember any conversations after maybe Jan/Feb last year about who would be the #1 pick. Everyone, from media to insiders all had Bryce Young as #1. It was all about his height, hand size, etc. and a lot of the discussion around Stroud was whether or not he would go #2 or fall. Richardson was a riser ala JJ McCarthy and he played really well too, albeit in 1.5 games lol. But QBs going 1-2-3 was not a sure-fire going into the draft last year.

This year's class was stronger going into the college season with Caleb and Maye almost universally being 1a and 1b although, Caleb was always the 1a. 

Daniels is the newcomer. We were talking about him as a mid to late 1st as late as December/January. JJ McCarthy was a R2 guy for most of the off-season until what, like 1 month ago?

I HOPE this isn't a draft where we look back and say "thank god Chicago took x" ... I am really hoping this draft is more like the 2020 draft, where arguably all 3 QBs taken early panned out.

If you told us that we could have either Burrow, Herbert or Tua on a rookie contract coming out of this draft, I think we'd be thrilled. I think there's a real chance 3 of these guys hit, maybe even 4-5 if Penix, McCarthy or Nix deliver. I know the odds of that happening aren't great, but it is a strong class by comparison.

Since we moved up to the #2 pick, pretty much everyone has us picking either Maye or Daniels, but I have always thought that we should be ready for Caleb too. Just about everyone says Caleb is a lock to Chicago, but the people who say that are just guessing as well. Albeit, an educated guess, but a guess none the less. So, what if Chicago likes Maye better for their system than Caleb, or think he has a higher ceiling than Caleb and they pick Maye? Do we automatically pick Caleb? 

Edited by mudhog
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mudhog said:

Since we moved up to the #2 pick, pretty much everyone has us picking either Maye or Daniels, but I have always thought that we should be ready for Caleb too. Just about everyone says Caleb is a lock to Chicago, but the people who say that are just guessing as well. Albeit, an educated guess, but a guess none the less. So, what if Chicago likes Maye better for their system than Caleb, or think he has a higher ceiling than Caleb and they pick Maye? Do we automatically pick Caleb? 

Yes. It would set the record for fastest card ever turned in at the draft. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ggimage.png.2793fb0a05b84a6ad724623c1d3d9ece.png

Starting Year 4 in Washington, Sam Cosmi says Commanders feel like a new team

By

Michael David Smith

Published April 3, 2024 02:50 PM

Commanders guard Sam Cosmi has played his entire career in Washington, but as the team’s offseason program begins in 2024, he says it feels like a different team.

Cosmi said the feeling in the building with new owner Josh Harris, new General Manager Adam Peters, new head coach Dan Quinn and lots of new teammates is different.

“Overall dynamic of the environment and the vibe is very positive, very dynamic, very uplifting. It feels great,” Cosmi said. “It’s like you went to a new team. That’s the feel right now. New everything we just had our new owner last year, new head coach, half the locker room’s basically new, it’s like you went to a new team. It’s definitely a breath of fresh air.”

For Commanders fans, anything that represents a change from the Dan Snyder era will be a breath of fresh air.

XXXX

Below is a link to a pft video on Dan Quinn and qb need...

https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/profootballtalk/dan-quinn-washington-commanders-not-shy-about-interest-in-drafting-a-qb

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Todays interviews:

Tres talked for 17 minutes and was engaging and at times funny.

Daron looked and sounded like he would prefer to be undergoing Chinese water torture than talk to the media. His session lasted a very uncomfortable 4 minutes. 

Cosmi just had a baby and looks like he hasn’t slept in a month.  He was good, though.  Hadn’t really heard him speak before.  He talked for about 7 minutes.

Tres was up there longer than if you ran the Cosmi interview twice then the Payne interview.  Ok. Not quite.  But really close.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Tres talked for 17 minutes and was engaging and at times funn

Yes!

Tres is a naturally charismatic and likable guy. Has all the qualities you'd look for in a team leader. Too bad he doesn't play quarterback.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Somehow I missed this one…

Terry talked for 14 minutes.  

He’s my favorite player on the team.  And probably has been my favorite player since Sean Taylor.  

Dude said he started working out after the SB and is already in football shape.

Also said he wanted to get better at being sharper at the top of his routes.

I really hope we hit on the QB, whoever it is, because Terry deserves to have a multi-year run with a top 10 QB. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yes!

Tres is a naturally charismatic and likable guy. Has all the qualities you'd look for in a team leader. Too bad he doesn't play quarterback.

Did anyone ask Tres if he misses the Cheese Man? 

26 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Did anyone ask Tres if he misses the Cheese Man? 

He brought it up himself without being asked.  Said what happened with Cheeseman was "heartbreaking."  His word.  He actually had a couple good things to say about Cheeseman.  

• Thanks 1

I'd like to see if we can't give Cosmi an extension now. It'll cost a pretty penny but he'll be more expensive next year after he puts up another real good season. I could see him being a Pro Bowler in 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd like to see if we can't give Cosmi an extension now. It'll cost a pretty penny but he'll be more expensive next year after he puts up another real good season. I could see him being a Pro Bowler in 2024.

That's the kind of move forward thinking front office's like the Eagles make. 👍 

21 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Here's which number each free agent will wear this upcoming season, separated by offense, defense and special teams.

Offense

• QB Marcus Mariota: No. 0
  • WR Oladmide Zaccheaus: No. 14
  • QB Jeff Driskel: No. 16
  • RB Austin Ekeler: No. 30
  • RB Jeremy McNichols: 31
  • C Michael Deiter: No. 60
  • G Nick Allegretti: No. 67
  • C Tyler Biadasz: No. 63

Defense

LB Frankie Luvu: No. 4

LB Dante Fowler Jr.: No. 6

S Jeremy Chinn: No. 11

CB Noah Igbinoghene: No. 19

CB Michael Davis: No. 24

CB James Pierre: No. 29

LB Bobby Wagner: No. 54

LB Anthony Pittman: No. 57

DE Dorance Armstrong: No. 92

DE Clelin Ferrell: No. 99

Special teams

• LS Tyler Ott: No. 69
  • K Brandon McManus: No. 3

Not a huge fan of players wearing 0. With Mariota there is always the cheap joke that it might also represent his passer rating ...

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yes!

Are we sure he can't? 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jg77 said:

I think there's a better chance of Maye falling out of the top 5 than us selecting him at 2. I'm not trying to be harsh but I think he needs to sit an entire year. The Pats would be a good fit cause they have Brissett who can start but do they want the risky selection after what happened with Mac Jones? Not sure.

Chris Simms labeled Maye a project and JT O'Sullivan says he has Tebow like misses (yikes) and doesn't have a natural throwing motion. Warner mentioned similar issues and so did Greg Cosell. It's just too many people who more qualified than any of us saying the same thing. If you watch on Blake Bortles UCF tape...he looks just like Maye. Bortles could've been a lot better if he could sit and work his game.

I will say that if we select Maye then we need to let Mariota play the entire year. I would hope the staff doesn't let the pressure from the fans make him start too early.

Assume, for the sake of argument, that your premise-- that Maye needs to sit for a year before playing, is true.

Does that necessarily disqualify us from drafting him?

I don't think it does.

Here's why:

Assume that we believe that Daniels or McCarthy (whoever we draft other than Drake) will be ready to play on day 1, year 1.

Fine we draft him.

Further assume, that we expect him to play at level 6 his first year and we think he has the potential to eventually become a solid level 7 qb in future years.

Now let's say that Drake, as he is now, raw coming out of college, is evaluated to be no better than a level 4, first year player.

However,  after Drake (who btw has all of the physical traits you'd look for, if you were designing a qb) has had a full year of intense professional coaching, technique work, film analysis, etc., let's say we believe he has the potential to become a level 8 or maybe even a level 9 qb.

Would it be worth it to pass on immediate gratificaction this season and wait a full year, if neccesary, if it meant having a much better championshib caliber signal caller in the long run?

Three critical evaluations:

1. What is the short (season 1) and long term (yr 2+) potential for each qb being considered?

2. How likely is it that qb "x" will reach his long term potential?

3. Is the risk worth the potential, but still uncertain reward?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Assume, for the sake of argument, that your premise-- that Maye needs to sit for a year before playing, is true.

Does that necessarily disqualify us from drafting him?

I don't think it does.

Here's why:

Assume that we believe that Daniels or McCarthy (whoever we draft other than Drake) will be ready to play on day 1, year 1.

Fine we draft him.

Further assume, that we expect him to play at level 6 his first year and we think he has the potential to eventually become a solid level 7 qb in future years.

Now let's say that Drake, as he is now, raw coming out of college, is evaluated to be no better than a level 4, first year player.

However,  after Drake (who btw has all of the physical traits you'd look for, if you were designing a qb) has had a full year of intense professional coaching, technique work, film analysis, etc., let's say we believe he has the potential to become a level 8 or maybe even a level 9 qb.

Would it be worth it to pass on immediate gratificaction this season and wait a full year, if neccesary, if it meant having a much better championshib caliber signal caller in the long run?

Three critical evaluations:

1. What is the short (season 1) and long term (yr 2+) potential for each qb being considered?

2. How likely is it that qb "x" will reach his long term potential?

3. Is the risk worth the potential, but still uncertain reward?

It would not shock me if they drafted Maye, redshirted him, and had Mariota and Driskel compete to start this year. I do not think they feel obligated to start the 2 overall pick Day 1.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

It would not shock me if they drafted Maye, redshirted him, and had Mariota and Driskel compete to start this year. I do not think they feel obligated to start the 2 overall pick Day 1.

I agree.  DQ is not under any pressure to win now. I think Harris will be patient and let the football guys do their thing. As long as we head in the right direction, I'll be happy. We've been rudderless for so long, just going around in circles.

• Thumb up 1

I’m sorry but if Driskel plays at all this season as our starter I would have to question the logic and direction of that move (and not a win and loses logic either)… I’d rather see Jake Fromm be the starter over him… and regardless of your reasoning for him to start, which ever QB they choose even while learning and raw in terms of the NFL would be a better option then him..

Say whatever you want and I know we are all in heaven and very excited with all the new coaches and the direction this franchise is heading but the 2 recent additions of Mariota and Driskel at QB are head scratchers for many ppl including myself .. be honest 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I bet Tress can throw farther than the QB we had whose name shall not be mentioned.

a Cirque de solei contortionist could throw a ball farther with their feet while resting on their elbows than he who shall not be named.

• Thumb up 1

With Schefter saying it is a lock we are going Daniels I tend to think that will happen. He was basically alone with the Johnson is not coming to Washington talk. We'll see if he ends up right. I think he probably will. And I am fine with it. Watching Daniels rip of 50 yard runs for a few weeks before he gets obliterated is going to be fun.