Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rappaport, Jack Del Rio/ Vieselmeyer Fired. Ron will run defense for rest of Season

Reaper Skins

25 minutes ago, Dirt said:

I like Rivera through all this. Many of us have been in this boat in our professions:  you rely on the people around you to "do their job", they don't, you get **** on because it's your job to make them better and you eventually fizzle out either because you think you're forever surrounded by idiots, or you just don't have it in you anymore. I think he's ready to be done and we're getting a mix of "**** it" and trying to be graceful about it.  

Except Rivera is the architect of this poorly built roster and staff.  He hired the GM’s, the coaching staff, etc.  I’ve never been in the boat of having that much control and power with such god awful results. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Can't wait for the Dolphins to light up Rivera's defense and then he'll make up some BS excuse about his scheme

I imagine it being something close to "We're running things a bit different now.   Our young guys are learning and growing in this new scheme.  It'll take some time."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

When Synder did this, y’all crucified him. 

hmmm

Did you read it backward like that reporter did (who retracted his report)?

@KDawgwanted to make sure you saw this as well since on the previous page you referenced Harris making Rivera fire JDR—I assume you also read that report from the beat guy who apologized and deleted, having misread the team’s release 

2 hours ago, glongest said:

There is no way Ron thinks that #1, this change is going to cause them to run off a bunch of wins and #2 that this is going to save his job.  No way.  So why did he make this move when he has said over and over that he was not going to fire coaches.  There is only one answer.   Josh Harris, despite what his statement says, made this call.  He had to do something to save face with the fan base.  He is looking to the future.  This is a band aid that gets him to the end of the season with Ron and then they all go.  

I really don’t think they’d have released a memo specifying the exact opposite if you were correct. It’s too risky to just be caught and seen lying like that. They didn’t need to release a statement like that at all, let alone one that asserts the exact opposite of your point. So I think this probably was a last ditch thing from Rivera. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Hate to say it but defense will look better under Ron Rivera imo. He should have been fired del Rio after the bears game . The fact we ran man to man all game against the giants is ridiculous .

How do you know? Rivera has literally scapegoated everyone….

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

Did you read it backward like that reporter did (who retracted his report)?

@KDawgwanted to make sure you saw this as well since on the previous page you referenced Harris making Rivera fire JDR—I assume you also read that report from the beat guy who apologized and deleted, having misread the team’s release 

Rivera has control in his contract to do it. It was unnecessary for Harris to put out a statement that he approved it. Harris is trying to balance putting out information and not looking like he’s interfering. He has been doing a good job but I am sure Magic and the rest of the ownership group wanted something done as well. I doubt this was Rivera acting on his own. The staff are all dead men walking anyway so it doesn’t matter who pulled the trigger. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

How do you know? Rivera has literally scapegoated everyone….

I think you're looking for a different word than scapegoat, because losing your job as the DC of a defence featuring several first round picks that ranks last in points allowed doesn't make you a scapegoat, it makes you unfit for the role. 

• Thumb up 3

Everyone is coming up with all of these schemes and stories as to why Rivera is doing what he is doing. I'm sure Harris told Rivera he could keep his job, but I'm also sure he wanted Rivera to make some changes during the season. If anything, Ron is firing Jack to save his job til the end of the year, I'm sure he's doing whatever Harris wants so he doesn't become midseason news.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I think you're looking for a different word than scapegoat, because losing your job as the DC of a defence featuring several first round picks that ranks last in points allowed doesn't make you a scapegoat, it makes you unfit for the role. 

lol the defense has been ranked top ten the last two outta 4 seasons something that didn’t happen from 2011-2019…I don’t care how many first round picks are on your team….defense has been extremely difficult to replicate year in year out in this nfl, maybe JDR isn’t a great coordinator but he’s a good one and we won’t be any better or worse without him, which will prove my initial point of Rivera scapegoating.

17 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Rivera has control in his contract to do it. It was unnecessary for Harris to put out a statement that he approved it. Harris is trying to balance putting out information and not looking like he’s interfering. He has been doing a good job but I am sure Magic and the rest of the ownership group wanted something done as well. I doubt this was Rivera acting on his own. The staff are all dead men walking anyway so it doesn’t matter who pulled the trigger. 

Nobody actually knows what is in Rivera’s contract btw, but that doesn’t matter in this case—because there’s no contract across the entire NFL that allows a team employee (even a HC) to unilaterally decide to fire someone who is owed millions of dollars by the owner. You absolutely need to run staffing changes up the chain even if you technically run everything like Ron does.

I however do agree that the release/memo itself was just meant to take a sideways angle at asking for six more weeks of patience, because it’s all about to be torn down anyways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Everyone is coming up with all of these schemes and stories as to why Rivera is doing what he is doing. I'm sure Harris told Rivera he could keep his job, but I'm also sure he wanted Rivera to make some changes during the season. If anything, Ron is firing Jack to save his job til the end of the year, I'm sure he's doing whatever Harris wants so he doesn't become midseason news.

Maybe nothing was expressly said but Ron did this now, to prevent him from joining Jack. He probably thought, I’m going to get fired; if I don’t change something. So Ron decided to do some housecleaning now, to prevent Josh from housecleaning Ron now.

It’s only a temporary measure but Ron will be removed in 5 weeks.

• Like 1

I don't know if there is a Defensive scheme or Coodinator for St.Juste against Waddle or Hill come Sunday Dec3rd except to hold and grab which ever 1 he's covering....RR isn't going to be making Wine out of Water....the move no doubt had to be made w/JDR but it isn't like the D is going to do a complete 90 and all of a sudden be decent. Same players save maybe Forbes (but do we really want to see him against the Fins) I know I'm a debbie downer but facts are facts this Defense stinks with or without JDR as DC imho

24 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

lol the defense has been ranked top ten the last two outta 4 seasons something that didn’t happen from 2011-2019…I don’t care how many first round picks are on your team….defense has been extremely difficult to replicate year in year out in this nfl, maybe JDR isn’t a great coordinator but he’s a good one and we won’t be any better or worse without him, which will prove my initial point of Rivera scapegoating.

Have you seen how bad this group is?  How predictable it is?  How many resources have been spent on it?  How it doesn’t improve?

I could go on.

JDR runs a rather vanilla scheme, his assistants don’t coach it well, 3rd string QB’s can beat it.  From a statistical standpoint, even in the decent years - it requires luck facing strings of backup/bad QBs.  JDR is absolutely not a good DC in modern times.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Yo, anybody listen to Finley/Tischler’s podcast today? Mentioned that Luke Del Rio is no longer on the website as a coach.

i paraphrase: Has nothing to do with today, but he hasn’t been coming to games for a few weeks. Things going on behind the scenes. May end up coming out later.

Juicy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

What a bunch of BS. If the players are THAT SLOW the whole scouting dept should be fired immediately

I've been questioning the scouting dept for years. The NFL is all about speed and agility, the old fashioned 'brute force' 270+ lb LBers are over with. I'd be happy to see only 1 LB and the others safeties, and now that there's an opening for that dept maybe they get someone who can actually play the position and someone who knows how to teach it.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

JDR runs a rather vanilla scheme, his assistants don’t coach it well, 3rd string QB’s can beat it.  l

We have literally been complaining of this since Greg Blatche…..maybe it’s something deeper than the defensive coordinator imo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yo, anybody listen to Finley/Tischler’s podcast today? Mentioned that Luke Del Rio is no longer on the website as a coach.

i paraphrase: Has nothing to do with today, but he hasn’t been coming to games for a few weeks. Things going on behind the scenes. May end up coming out later.

Juicy.

That is juicy, so he already hadn’t been with the team for weeks?