Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

34 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"I am not sure that he would be the right guy...."

I agree, VSF.

To be honest I remembered the name Kliff Kingsbury, and got excited when they announced he was being considered for the job, but I didn't really remember what his reign at Arizona was like.

So I did a bit of research, much like I did earlier in the day on Chip, but unlike Kelly the more I learned about Kliff the less impressed I was.

Whereas Kelly took over a 4-12 Eagles team and led them to consecutive 10-6 seasons Kingsbury never really did much of significance on the field and there was quite a bit if disarray abd dysfunction in his offense.

Of course the situations were different-- Kelly inherited a veteran qb while Kingsbury worked with a green Kyler Murray.

Still it gives me pause.

I might actually prefer Kelly to Kingsbury, based solely on what each of them did as NFL head coaches.

I’m not excited by the idea of Klingsbury as our OC - but I live in AZ and the deck was stacked against him with the Cards. Bidwell is a terrible owner and the GM Steve Keim was a multi DUI walking train wreck. Then they drafted a QB first overall more interested in video games than film study.

Klingsbury is an air raid guy, but actually with the Cards his O was more of a mish mash of various schemes - which is partly why I’m not that thrilled by the idea of him as OC. One thing is though he does tailor what he’s does to what he has, which is good. He’s not a ‘my stuff works just execute’ guy.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

ESPN and Profootballtalk.com reporting Kliff Kingsbury could end up in Washington as offensive coordinator since his deal with the Raiders fell through.

I am not sure that he would be the right guy.  His record in Arizona was not great.  Yes, he has worked with Caleb Williams at USC but Chicago will probably pick Williams.

He worked with Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfied and Mahomes in college.  He never made Kyler Murray into a top rated NFL quarterback.  I wonder what Peters thinks

about him.

He didn't jus work with them, he's credit with developing them.

Murray tore his ACL and it was all down hill for both them in Arizona after that.

We aren't hiring to be a HC, he'd be OC with reputation for developing QBs, that's his strength.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Names are funny.  What if this guy has a son and gives him the same name....He'd be Chase Senior Jr.  Be a fun jersey to have if he ever played pro sports.

In Basic Training, when speaking with cadre, we had to begin every sentence with "sergeant" and end it with "sergeant":  "Sergeant yes sergeant", etc.  I had a junior drill sergeant named "Sargent". One day my senior sergeant asked me who told me to do whatever it was I did (I forget).  I looked at him and said:  "Sergeant, sergeant Sargent sergeant".  We looked at each other like, that didn't just happen?  "Get out of my office!"

• Haha 14
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Dark Acre said:

In Basic Training, when speaking with cadre, we had to begin every sentence with "sergeant" and end it with "sergeant":  "Sergeant yes sergeant", etc.  I had a junior drill sergeant named "Sargent". One day my senior sergeant asked me who told me to do whatever it was I did (I forget).  I looked at him and said:  "Sergeant, sergeant Sargent sergeant".  We looked at each other like, that didn't just happen?  "Get out of my office!"

image.png.94a27e66844663b64b1ad08d94654e9d.png

• Haha 10

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

God I hope we don’t give up something stupid to move up just one slot.

If they feel Caleb is the next Mahommes and Maye and Daniels are not franchise QBs why would they not make the move? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I’m not excited by the idea of Klingsbury as our OC - but I live in AZ and the deck was stacked against him with the Cards. Bidwell is a terrible owner and the GM Steve Keim was a multi DUI walking train wreck. Then they drafted a QB first overall more interested in video games than film study.

Klingsbury is an air raid guy, but actually with the Cards his O was more of a mish mash of various schemes - which is partly why I’m not that thrilled by the idea of him as OC. One thing is though he does tailor what he’s does to what he has, which is good. He’s not a ‘my stuff works just execute’ guy.

Whens the last time we didn't have one of these guys running the offense?

I'm not buying the need to tie to Caleb, either, if he has a reputation for helping develop multiple QBs. No way we trade up.

• Like 3

If the hire is Kingsbury, either we’re trading up for Caleb Williams or drafting Daniels.  

Drafting Maye at that point would be shocking.  

If they believe Williams is head and shoulders over Daniels, flipping spots with the Bears and giving them a second (probably ours) plus a 2025 first would seem fair compensation. 

Ps: that would be trading 2 firsts and a second for a first back.  The cost would be 2 picks.  Before we get into the silly language argument of “that’s 2 first round picks” or whatever idiocracy Czaban forced down our throats in 2012.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

If the hire is Kingsbury, either we’re trading up for Caleb Williams or drafting Daniels.  

If they believe Williams is head and shoulders over Daniels, flipping spots with the Bears and giving them a second (probably ours) plus a 2025 first would seem fair compensation. 

Ps: that would be trading 2 firsts and a second for a first back.  The cost would be 2 picks.  Before we get into the silly language argument of “that’s 2 first round picks” or whatever idiocracy Czaban forced down our throats in 2012.

We aren’t taking Maye. Meh. It’s Williams or Daniels via different scenarios.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jus so I understand, why would this mean no Maye?

Jus because he can develop Daniel's shouldn't mean he's the prospect we have to take.  Why because he's a mobile QB and his strength is developing mobile QBs?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

ESPN and Profootballtalk.com reporting Kliff Kingsbury could end up in Washington as offensive coordinator since his deal with the Raiders fell through.

I am not sure that he would be the right guy.  His record in Arizona was not great.  Yes, he has worked with Caleb Williams at USC but Chicago will probably pick Williams.

He worked with Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfied and Mahomes in college.  He never made Kyler Murray into a top rated NFL quarterback.  I wonder what Peters thinks

about him.

I don't want Kingsbury as OC but I don't think he should be judged by what happened in Arizona. I think Kyler Murray has a low football IQ, has trouble reading defenses and has never been one to study the playbook. At least that are things that have been reported.

26 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If they feel Caleb is the next Mahommes and Maye and Daniels are not franchise QBs why would they not make the move? 

Because it would result in the loss of one future 1st round pick.  One we will need to continue the rebuild.  Didn't any of y'all learn from the mistake made to move up and draft RG3?  Yes, it wouldn't cost that much, but it would still cost at least one future 1st rounder that could be used to fill a major hole in the roster.  

Still way too early.  I feel like we know nothing until pro days and interviews.  I’ve wavered on all these guys over the last month.  My gut says Williams comes out clean, shows he’s committed to football, not the diva he’s been made out to be, which will completely separate himself from the others.  Making that #1 pick even more valuable, and Chicago trades it for a haul - to likely not us.

1 minute ago, HeHateMe75 said:

Because it would result in the loss of one future 1st round pick.  One we will need to continue the rebuild.  Didn't any of y'all learn from the mistake made to move up and draft RG3?  Yes, it wouldn't cost that much, but it would still cost at least one future 1st rounder that could be used to fill a major hole in the roster.  

A first round pick is meaningless in value compared to finally acquiring a franchise qb. I would make that RG3 trade 10 times out of 10. You have to attempt to acquire a franchise QB at nearly all costs.

If all we have to do is move from 2 to 1 it would be insanity not to make the move. Again this is predicated on the assumption that we have Caleb ranked significantly higher than Daniels and Maye. I don’t know that we do, but if it is the case, it’s a no brainer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, HeHateMe75 said:

A franchise QB is the biggest hole on the roster to fill...

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Jus so I understand, why would this mean no Maye?

Jus because he can develop Daniel's shouldn't mean he's the prospect we have to take.  Why because he's a mobile QB and his strength is developing mobile QBs?

Basically.  Kingsbury is skilled at developing dual threat QBs. 

If you hire him, you get a guy who fits that description. Maye does not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Basically.  Kingsbury is skilled at developing dual threat QBs. 

If you hire him, you get a guy who fits that description. Maye does not.

Yes he does. The guy runs a 4.6ish 40… why do you think he’s not a dual threat?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Makes sense if Washington drafts Caleb Williams. 

He can work with any of the 1st 3 quarterbacks in the draft as they all have wheels. 

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, HeHateMe75 said:

Because it would result in the loss of one future 1st round pick. 

If you get your QB who cares?  Also the Rams haven’t had a first round pick since 2016 which they used on Goff. How long ago was that?  The draft was in April of 2016.  Obama was still President.  That’s how long ago it was since the Rams had a first round pick. (Note: this is not politics in the stadium.  It’s historical fact with no commentary)

They won a SB since then.

Picks are assets you use to acquire players.

Im not in love with goving up picks in multiple years (ie. a 2025 and a 2026 first round pick) but giving up one, especially when the hit rate of draft picks is miserable, is just fine.  

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

A first round pick is meaningless in value compared to finally acquiring a franchise qb. I would make that RG3 trade 10 times out of 10. You have to attempt to acquire a franchise QB at nearly all costs.

If all we have to do is move from 2 to 1 it would be insanity not to make the move. Again this is predicated on the assumption that we have Caleb ranked significantly higher than Daniels and Maye. I don’t know that we do, but if it is the case, it’s a no brainer. 

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm not sold on Williams.  Definitely not moving up for him and giving up a future 1st round pick.  Sick and tired of these short QBs that can't see over the line.  You want RG3 2.0, cool.  I don't, I want Maye.