Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

It’s fair to assume all the other teams assumed

a) Johnson was coming here or

b) if he didn’t end up here, he will have jibbed it and stayed out.

c) there is no option ‘c’ so waiting around was pointless.

32 minutes ago, Destino said:

No. EB has experience and a track record. His downfall was being the OC for a team with no OLine for one season. Zorn was the unexpected, has this guy done anything anywhere to merit a head coaching job? That’s Weaver. 

I am honestly curious what you have seen from EB that would merit his promotion to a HC position. Our offense was a clownshow last year. And I dont want him anywhere near a rookie QB. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Try really hard to find the OC that can become a good to great HC.

Not so sure we need an offensive coach. In the last 30 years since Gibbs 1, our coaches have mostly been from the offensive side of the ball: Norv Turner, Terry Robiskie, Steve Spurrier, Joe Gibbs 2, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan, Jay Gruden, Bill Callahan. During this period, our offences - and our teams - have stunk seven days to Sunday.

Edited by Stoox

4 minutes ago, Stoox said:

Yes, of course. My point is that what fans think doesn't matter, because the vast majority base their opinions on incomplete information taken from media reports (aka, a big game of agenda-driven telephone), insider opinion and social media drivel. And not actual and tangible information generated by a real hiring process, complete with background checks, data-driven analysis of past performance across multiple roles, interviews with past peers, and the interviews themselves. 

And yet his record is still 43 - 42 …

You can sprinkle sugar on ****, it ain’t gonna make it taste nice

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That doesn’t mean much.

That he got interviewed, and those teams hired other coaches?

Maybe they really wanted Ben and he back channeled them to say no.  No way to know.  But I don't think its crazy to think he was interviewed and another coach was hired that it might mean that they preferred that other coach.

But I don't care.  I don't find the point relevant.   I'd only find it relevant if the point in play is other teams are smarter than our FO as to these choices.  But I am gathering most people aren't thinking that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

If we were so high on Quinn, why haven’t we moved on him yet?

IMO we clearly preferred Johnson and Macdonald and both turned us down.

We are onto Plan C or later. Not an auspicious start.

Whoever Peters picks, he better be right.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Stoox said:

Not so sure we need an offensive coach. In the last 30 years since Gibbs 1, our coaches have mostly been from the offensive side of the call: Norv Turner, Terry Robiskie, Steve Spurrier, Joe Gibbs 2, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan, Jay Gruden, Bill Callahan. During this period, our offences - and our teams - have stunk seven days to Sunday.

You can't really count Robiske and Callahan. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I mean you can be high on someone and still interview other candidates.

Due dilligence and all.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I do wonder if all the Ben Johnson talk actually was seriously harmful to the process.  Like the candidates all assumed it was Ben Johnson and therefore they just moved on.  

I think it absolutely was.  The press and media kept saying it was a lock, he's our guy, he's the next HC in Washington, etc.  If I'm a candidate for one of 7 open HC positions and interviewed with those teams and was hearing all the buzz of Johnson to DC, I'm probably taking another offer before it's no longer there. 

It makes me wonder too if that was the reason Slowik decided to stay in Houston.  Because nobody made him an offer and he knew we were waiting to interview Johnson, Glenn and Macdonald and figured he didn't want to be offered a job just because our top candidates got other offers or withdrew and didn't want to go to a team that essentially "didn't want him".

Of course, in fairness to our new FO, they wanted to interview the top candidates too, and most likely explained that to everyone they interviewed that they would be doing their due diligence and not making a decision until all interviews were completed.  Who knows?

Just now, CapsSkins said:

If I am running purely on Keim.  Johnson #1.  Felt like Quinn #2.  McDonald maybe.  the thing with Johnson just happened yesterday.  They interviewed Quinn yesterday morning the 2nd time. 

As for the delay.  Maybe negotiating the contract.  Or if Finay is correct and Weaver is emerging late they are deciding between the two?

1 minute ago, Destino said:

If there was a strong OC candidate they’d be interviewing him as head coach.

This is really hyperbolic--jumping OC entirely is a great way to get a woefully unqualified coach because we have to have an offensive HC.

This clearly has the front office having egg on their face. A major part of the blame goes to how Johnson handled the situation, but we dropped the ball here and had no clear plan C.

They might end up wiggling out of this but YUCK!

2 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Koolblue13:  I am applying to your staff

He'd do a good job.    Like me, he believes in getting a top TE.  And isn't afraid to run the ball.   He'd also ensure that Heinicke never returns.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That he got interviewed, and those teams hired other coaches?

Maybe they really wanted Ben and he back channeled them to say no.  No way to know.  But I don't think its crazy to think he was interviewed and another coach was hired that it might mean that they preferred that other coach.

But I don't care.  I don't find the point relevant.   I'd only find it relevant if the point in play is other teams are smarter than our FO as to these choices.  But I am gathering most people aren't thinking that.

None of the above.

Other teams didn't want to wait to see what happened with Johnson. Either because they thought they couldn't land him or they didn't want him or whatever.

But in the end Johnson had two teams that wanted him. 

He passed.

I didn't even realize there was potential to spin that any other way. 

Strike one for Peters taking the slow approach thinking they had Ben in the bag and Mike as option #2 and that didn't happen. 🙄 Plan C,D,E is never how you want to start out. Bad look, bad start on his part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Strike one for Peters taking the slow approach thinking they had Ben in the bag and Mike as option #2 and that didn't happen. 🙄 Plan C,D,E is never how you want to start out. Bad look, bad start on his part. 

There was no one set guy at Plan A.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

And yet his record is still 43 - 42 …

You can sprinkle sugar on ****, it ain’t gonna make it taste nice

Sure - and Belichick and Carroll were well below .500 when they arrived in NE and SEA respectively.

(To be clear, I'm not comparing Quinn to either, simply highlighting that coaches can, and often do, improve when provided second chances because they have had a chance to reflect and learn. And of course, some don't. Like Rich Kotite.)

• Like 2