Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

58 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

That could be debatable. Did anyone know about Daron Bland before last year? He had a couple bad linebackers. A couple safety’s nobody heard of. Development turned these guys into household names.

Debating numbers here? 3 or 5 What no. were they before Diggs went down 1? Big loss. Shanny is the reason he does not where a ring from Atlanta also. His D shut down NE for just about 85% of the game. Before the boneheaded play calling to end the game instead of working the clock.

I'm not going to dump on Ben Johnson because it sounds to me like he was self aware enough to realize he's not ready to be a head coach, and he saved himself and this team a lot of grief by bowing out.  Some of the over the top reactions of disappointment from this fan base are really cringey.

I liked the idea of him being the hire, but I'm not stressing this because I don't really know what these guys are like.  None of us do.  The critical qualities for being a successful head coach are stuff like how organized is the guy?  How passionate is he?  Does he value this job more than anything else in his life, including his family?  Is he trustworthy and can he get people to sacrifice and work through adversity for him?  Is he a good communicator who can manage personalities, delegate work appropriately and get everyone prepared every week of a long season?  None of us have any idea if these candidates have these strengths or if they are weaknesses, and it's weird how invested folks here are getting in these candidates, organizing into little tribes over them, and rooting on it like a horse race.  We're going to get a good coach and QB, and we already got a good GM.  Josh Harris and Bob Myers and Magic Johnson and Adam Peters are not going to pick some dud that can't control a team or handle the size of the job.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Hire Belicheck and he will bring Mcdaniels here as OC....Id be much more happy with that then having Dan Quinn here but I may be in the minority. 

Brady made BB.  Check his record w/ and w/o Brady.  BB is not much of a coach w/o Tom Brady in his career nor is McDaniels.  

• Like 2

Harris, Peters, and the committee absolutely should ignore fan sentiment if they have conviction, true conviction, in a choice like Quinn. 

What it does though is shorten the leash with a fanbase on life support, because you’re not trying something new (and let’s admit it: you’re not trying something exciting). If a Macdonald fails, hey you shot for the moon. If a Quinn fails, fans go “no ****, we said that, he showed you who he is for years with the Falcons”. 

I’m not saying they should make fear-based choices because of this fanbase’s PTSD, don’t misunderstand me. I’m saying if they DON’T have absolute, full conviction in a guy like Quinn, it’s not really a good decision to immediately gamble with goodwill. Take the more boom/bust prospect if you aren’t 100% with Quinn. Your leash will be a lot longer, and people will understand your process even if you didn’t get optimal outcomes. If you’re wrong on Quinn, you have millions of people immediately thinking they know better than you every time the cameras show him looking frustrated on the sideline. 

In short, if you go with the unpopular, unsexy choice you gotta be right. And not four years from now. But if you give the fanbase a guy they can embrace as their own with a fresh slate and a hotshot coordinator record for a premium franchise, you’re essentially blameless. A Macdonald would be embraced as “ours” instantly and granted more grace with growing pains. Quinn, even if we’re an average team, won’t be “our guy” as a fanbase for a long time because he’s the guy from our rival whose biggest accomplishment on the national stage was losing the SB in historic fashion for a middle of the road nothing franchise. And we’ll feel like we’ve seen this story before, for a long time. The proof of concept with a Quinn hire has a much higher bar. Mediocre with him will be where we’ve been before. Mediocre with Macdonald will be just a stop along the way on a rebuild on the way to new greatness. It’s maybe not fair but that’s how perception works. That’s how hiring a guy with baggage that no one initially wants works.

It’s just not good business sense unless you have unwavering conviction. Fans across the country will laugh at us while “insiders” snicker at how ignorant everyone is for not realizing how much players love playing for Quinn. Despite that not earning him anything but one nice playoff run (with Shanahan) his entire career.  It’s a risk. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'm not going to dump on Ben Johnson because it sounds to me like he was self aware enough to realize he's not ready to be a head coach.

Yep, but what that does is also confirm that he was not a great HC candidate in this 2024 cycle. 

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’m not saying they should make fear-based choices because of this fanbase’s PTSD, don’t misunderstand me. I’m saying if they DON’T have absolute, full conviction in a guy like Quinn, it’s not really a good decision to immediately gamble with goodwill. Take the more boom/bust prospect if you aren’t 100% with Quinn

Agreed. I have the same view with a rookie QB too. 

With no names no action taking place and I have to think other teams and potential coaches looking at us are not doing so favorably. 

This is what I think is happening and will happen. I guess people.  Who knows.  

1)  Both Seattle and Washington are waiting for MacDonald to choose between us or them.

2)  The loser will hire Quinn as their HC.  Note:  Seattle may go in a different direction with Kafka or someone else.  I think we go with Quinn.  

Edited by RWJ

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Johnson early was a great candidate on paper, but he’s basically admitted that he has no single minded drive to be a HC in 2024. So he’s not a great candidate is he. In fact, he was probably never a realistic candidate. 

What he is at present is a great OC with further potential at HC. However, he has basically outed himself. That’s not fan perception, it’s fact. He’s staying in Detroit.

Agree re Quinn. Seriously underwhelming outcome from the new regime, if it rolls that way.

It’s like developing feelings and ideas about the future for a smart, beautiful, kind, empathetic, funny woman that’s been on the edges of your friend group for a while. Then you really get to know her and find out she’s a lesbian. And you’re a straight man. 

It doesn’t change the qualities that made her seem great. But it flips the context on its axis and makes it clear she was never actually great, for you. 

She’s Alyssa from Chasing Amy. If I remember that movie correctly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Quinn's Defence in Dallas has studs all over, which makes his job a hell of a lot easier.

Soon as it came to prime time in the play offs, they were garbage.

I've just sat through 4 years of the most .500 mediocre HC you can imagine, why the hell anyone would want the same again is beyond me.

Dallas defense was terrible the year before he got there and Diggs was just as bad as Forbes his rookie season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s like developing feelings and ideas about the future for a smart, beautiful, kind, empathetic, funny woman that’s been on the edges of your friend group for a while. Then you really get to know her and find out she’s a lesbian. And you’re a straight man. 

I get the notification that you have replied to one of my posts….and I was not expecting this. That’s both beautiful and heartbreaking :ols:

• Haha 1

From an Atlanta fan on a different forum regarding Quinn's tenure there:

MacDonald or Quinn or Glenn would all be fantastic hires. Quinn knows how to set up a culture and knows how to win games. His biggest issues in Atlanta year by year:

2015 - first year, went 8-8, after a collapse from 5-0. Didn't know how to adjust

2016 - Went to SB (successful year)

2017 - still made the playoffs, but made mistake in not just promoting Matt LaFleur

2018 - injuries on defense killed the team

2019 - injuries on defense again, new scheme with Koetter was bad.

2020 - Team stopped buying into his message.

Like I said again and again, I’m personally not a big fan of Dan Quinn. But his defense was pretty solid in Dallas and that’s something I’m looking forward to hoping he can bring that here . 

Edited by Commander202
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If they go defensive head coach, I actually woulda liked Anthony Lynn as an OC candidate. But Kyle gave him that assistant HC title in SF, so they'd have to give him permission to leave for an OC gig.

I don’t want Lynn but just wanted to let you know that this isn’t how it works anymore. An asst HC title doesn’t effect anything in the hiring cycle anymore as long as the candidate doesn’t currently call plays (unless it’s for a HC job, nothing can prevent that other than already being a HC). 

55 minutes ago, Conn said:

oh god. This paints the picture that it’s gonna be Quinn unless Macdonald has changed a ton since whenever this was said, or can show a different side of himself in the interview. This search committee doesn’t seem to be looking for the quiet confidence of raw football intelligence, just from the reports. 

Leadership comes in many packages and styles. If we are looking for leadership (and we should be - this is after all a leadership position) thats not necessarily about some alpha male ‘bro’. There are other ways to connect with people, gain respect and drive change/behavior. But what we are specifically looking for is conjecture really, I think people just conflate leadership/football coach with certain stereotypes. Look at Mike McDaniel, hes not exactly straight out of central casting for the part of NFL HC, but he's a leader.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Like I said again and again, I’m personally not a big fan of Dan Quinn. But his defense was pretty solid in Dallas and that’s something I’m looking forward to hoping he can bring that here . 

Not a slant at you 202, but I just see this as a measure of how battered and bruised this fan base is after 30 years of depression all we're hoping for heading into our new era is hoping the new guy can make a pretty good defence.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

With no names no action taking place and I have to think other teams and potential coaches looking at us are not doing so favorably. 

This is what I think is happening and will happen. I guess people.  Who knows.  

1)  Both Seattle and Washington are waiting for MacDonald to choose between us or them.

2)  The loser will hire Quinn as their HC.  Note:  Seattle may go in a different direction with Kafka or someone else.  I think we go with Quinn.  

This is what I think as well. Ultimately I feel like we're gonna go with Quinn. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

You got this. Gender is fluid these days - improvise.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Leadership comes in many packages and styles. If we are looking for leadership (and we should be - this is after all a leadership position) thats not necessarily about some alpha male ‘bro’. There are other ways to connect with people, gain respect and drive change/behavior. But what we are specifically looking for is conjecture really, I think people just conflate leadership/football coach with certain stereotypes. Look at Mike McDaniel, hes not exactly straight out of central casting for the part of NFL HC, but he's a leader.

I agree.  But MartinC wouldn't you have thought that the advisory team, which it seems to me putting all their eggs in one basket with Johnson would have done their homework, day and night to have a HC coaching draft list, per say, like a draft list of potential HCs that fit the leadership mold and what they were looking for rather than not. 

Right now, it seems like they either don't have that list, or they can't make a decision.  Are there too many cooks in the kitchen?  

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

Harris, Peters, and the committee absolutely should ignore fan sentiment if they have conviction, true conviction, in a choice like Quinn. 

What it does though is shorten the leash with a fanbase on life support, because you’re not trying something new (and let’s admit it: you’re not trying something exciting). If a Macdonald fails, hey you shot for the moon. If a Quinn fails, fans go “no ****, we said that, he showed you who he is for years with the Falcons”. 

I’m not saying they should make fear-based choices because of this fanbase’s PTSD, don’t misunderstand me. I’m saying if they DON’T have absolute, full conviction in a guy like Quinn, it’s not really a good decision to immediately gamble with goodwill. Take the more boom/bust prospect if you aren’t 100% with Quinn. Your leash will be a lot longer, and people will understand your process even if you didn’t get optimal outcomes. If you’re wrong on Quinn, you have millions of people immediately thinking they know better than you every time the cameras show him looking frustrated on the sideline. 

In short, if you go with the unpopular, unsexy choice you gotta be right. And not four years from now. But if you give the fanbase a guy they can embrace as their own with a fresh slate and a hotshot coordinator record for a premium franchise, you’re essentially blameless. A Macdonald would be embraced as “ours” instantly and granted more grace with growing pains. Quinn, even if we’re an average team, won’t be “our guy” as a fanbase for a long time because he’s the guy from our rival whose biggest accomplishment on the national stage was losing the SB in historic fashion for a middle of the road nothing franchise. And we’ll feel like we’ve seen this story before, for a long time. The proof of concept with a Quinn hire has a much higher bar. Mediocre with him will be where we’ve been before. Mediocre with Macdonald will be just a stop along the way on a rebuild on the way to new greatness. It’s maybe not fair but that’s how perception works. That’s how hiring a guy with baggage that no one initially wants works.

It’s just not good business sense unless you have unwavering conviction. Fans across the country will laugh at us while “insiders” snicker at how ignorant everyone is for not realizing how much players love playing for Quinn. Despite that not earning him anything but one nice playoff run (with Shanahan) his entire career.  It’s a risk. 

It’s so nice thatI don’t even need to post my thoughts any more… because you continue to habitat my consciousness. 

I posted the exact same sentiments last week… almost word for word… but just much less of them 😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is what I think as well. Ultimately I feel like we're gonna go with Quinn. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

If MacDonald turns us down for Seattle or stays in Baltimore, I agree at this point but we stagnation is building and Harris, Peters and the Leadership team need to work together and make a decision and go with it.  Lay down some target dates and times to candidates and move on.  This is starting to look really bad on them, I think.