Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hamas Attacks Against Israel

Fergasun

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Before there was Hollywood and TV for people to look attractive on and be give an inordinate amount of clout just for their looks, what other meaningless traits did people start putting immense value in? When it was the radio era, did people look for the sociopolitical cues from whoever had the most attractive voice?

It was called intelligence, or at least being able to sound intelligent while reading from a script.

Remember War of the Worlds was read on the radio and was taken for an actual news report...scared the bejeezus out of people.

• Thumb up 2

On 10/17/2023 at 1:54 PM, Cooked Crack said:

I don’t understand why news outlets rushed to broadcast announcements from The Gaza Health Ministry without fact checking. The Health Ministry is run by Hamas, and any of their claims should be verified since they are without a doubt trying to shape the narrative of the war in their favor. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I don’t understand why news outlets rushed to broadcast announcements from The Gaza Health Ministry without fact checking. The Health Ministry is run by Hamas, and any of their claims should be verified since they are without a doubt trying to shape the narrative of the war in their favor. 

This is the norm. Its been this way for a LONG time. Everyone wants to be the first to break the story....truth be damned.

Howard Stern used to take advantage of this all the time by having people call into news shows and pretending to know something about the current breaking news story.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Xameil said:

This is the norm. Its been this way for a LONG time. Everyone wants to be the first to break the story....truth be damned.

Howard Stern used to take advantage of this all the time by having people call into news shows and pretending to know something about the current breaking news story.

Yeah I guess it’s all about the clicks and views. If everyone wants to be the first to break the story truth be damned, then the “breaking news” has the same credibility as the average Twitter/X user. That’s sad.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xameil said:

It was called intelligence, or at least being able to sound intelligent while reading from a script.

Remember War of the Worlds was read on the radio and was taken for an actual news report...scared the bejeezus out of people.

While that is true, I think there's a major difference: People listening to it were genuinely convinced it was a news report. They had no idea who the source was. People who are inspired/upset/paying attention to Khalifa are people who ask the question "I wonder what a person who records herself having sex with people thinks about the societal impact of terrorist attacks and war crimes in the the Middle East?"

And that's what makes me wonder about the past. Did people back in the era of radio and before it also actively seek out the opinions from people they *knew* had no relevance or insight? I suppose maybe athletes were given that level of regard, but I can't think of anyone else offhand.

Edited by NickyJ

3 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

That headline is a click driver and might even get you trending on that disgusting platform, X.

Top law firm rescinds job offers to Ivy League students over Israel letters

Top U.S. law firm Davis Polk announced in an internal email that it had rescinded letters of employment for three law students at Harvard and Columbia universities who it believed were tied to organizational statements about Israel, one of the latest responses to open letters from university groups about the Israel-Hamas conflict that have roiled university donors, employers, alumni and students. 

“These statements are simply contrary to our firm’s values and we thus concluded that rescinding these offers was appropriate in upholding our responsibility to provide a safe and inclusive work environment for all Davis Polk employees,” said the email, signed by Neil Barr. 

Small-business lawyer Joseph Gerstel posted a screenshot of the email Tuesday on LinkedIn. A Davis Polk representative confirmed it as authentic. 

Barr went on to write, “At this time, we remain in dialogue with two of these students to ensure that any further color being offered to us by these students is considered.”

A representative of Davis Polk pointed to a statement that was included in the email: “The views expressed in certain of the statements signed by law school student organizations in recent days are in direct contravention of our firm’s value system. For this reason and to ensure we continue to maintain a supportive and inclusive work environment, the student leaders responsible for signing on to these statements are no longer welcome in our firm; and their offers of employment have thus been rescinded.” 

The representative did not immediately respond to a question about how the firm identified the students as having signed the statements.

The identities of the students were not revealed in the email, which did not specify which statements the students allegedly signed. A series of public statements supporting Palestinians and blaming Israel for the recent Israel-Hamas conflict has created a firestorm on college campuses and in corporate America since last week.

On Oct. 10, The Harvard Crimson, one of the university’s student-run news publications, reported that more than 30 Harvard student groups signed on to a letter that said they held Israel “entirely responsible” for “all unfolding violence” in the conflict, which came after a surprise Hamas attack on Israel killed over 1,300 people. Since the letter was published, numerous CEOs, business leaders and a federal judge have responded by cutting ties with the university, calling for the identifications of students involved with the letter or saying they would not hire the students involved. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

A sad display of pretentious naivety.  Israel has some responsibility, that is certain.

Not really sure what they said in the email, but I imagine if that was posted it online or on Facebook instead of an email the world would shake it off… 

As an aside, it seems whenever Netanyahu is in charge tensions between Palestine and Israel peak. Maybe that’s just a coincidence…

Petraeus is on CNN talking Gaza. He’s reminding the hosts that Mosul took nine months and that Israel’s stated goal and operation is similar. They want to clear a terrorist group from a mid sized city under siege. He also said that Israel’s military leaders need to be honest with their political leaders and tell them “if you think you have a humanitarian crisis now, just wait until this operation actually begins” 

Not what anyone wants to hear.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, tshile said:

Seems like an important piece of informations to get before making and voicing an opinion on it 😂

And the ES post contained a quote from the letter. 

8 hours ago, China said:

On Oct. 10, The Harvard Crimson, one of the university’s student-run news publications, reported that more than 30 Harvard student groups signed on to a letter that said they held Israel “entirely responsible” for “all unfolding violence” in the conflict, which came after a surprise Hamas attack on Israel killed over 1,300 people.

The problem (at least IMO) is holding Israel entirely responsible. 

They're not completely blameless. But Hamas absolutely isn't, either. 

Lots of blame to go around, here. (Including the US.)

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

The problem (at least IMO) is holding Israel entirely responsible. 

They're not completely blameless. But Hamas absolutely isn't, either. 

Lots of blame to go around, here. (Including the US.)

Based on the Harvard lawyers I’ve talked to - they’re a bunch of nobodies most people didn’t recognize. Small, not known orgs. What complicated things is a new president just took over, so responding was delayed. 

At the end of the day the people on the right saw an opportunity to drag a university they loath through the mud, when it wasn’t quite necessary or done accurately. 

and the people telling me that are conservatives so it’s not like they’re liberals looking to defend their bastion of liberalism. 

That said - definitely important to understand making official public statements and putting your name on it, can have consequences. 

Maybe think twice before spouting off about something that way. Or don’t and accept the consequences. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by tshile

Sort of the I was talking about earlier. 

a number of liberal friends sent me the tweets/articles when it broke

havent said **** since it’s been determined it was hamas/islamic jihad 

I don’t blame people for reacting to what was horrific news. At all. But how a person navigates the changing/updating story tells you a bit about them…

we are close with a Palestinian family. They have lots of family in Gaza. They’re a pretty big deal in the business community  in our area, however I’m not clear how many understand they’re Palestinian (as opposed to just the generic Muslim.) we talk about this a lot, especially any time something serious happens because we reach out to meet up with them. They are willing to open up and rant and everything else emotion wise. They still believe Israel bombed the hospital. It’s impossible to argue with them - at some point you have to recognize the role is to support them as friends not argue with them… but the damage of falsely and carelessly reporting and regurgitating news is real. We make fun of people who jump on it to score internet points cause those people are the worst and suck, but there’s real people with real consequences related to misinformation. 

none of our news sources are reliable anymore. Some are better than others, but none of them have the standards required to have faith they won’t put out misinformation   

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I find it ironic that many in the conservative movement, particulary those pushing the  election fraud in 2020 election narrative; government weaponization narrative; and crooked Joe Biden narrative now care about "truth".  

Their heads are exploding over Rashida Tlaib pushing fake news.  She's wrong, but pushing fake narratives in 2023 is a perfectly acceptable for MAGA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was a retired Lieutenant General on CNN last night that explained in detail why the Hospital's damages was the result of a rocket and not an aerial bomb. Here is the video clip:

In a nutshell, Islamic Jihad buys these rockets from Iran, and they are fairly unreliable.  Sort of like that packet of bottle rockets that always has a couple duds that fly 20 ft. and fizzle out. He went through a video that showed the rocket traveling in the air, and then suddenly flame out and "drop like a brick" because the engine failed. While the rocket's explosive component is not particularly large, when the motor dies early in the launch still has a ton of fuel in it that was not burned in flight. So when it falls it can ignite and explode, which is what happened here.  There is a graphic showing the launch location (multiple rocket fired), the intended target, and the hospital in between the two. The General also noted that the burn marks on the outside of one the hospital buildings was "pock marked," which is evidence of fuel based fire.  He also explained that the lack of an impact crater demonstrated it was a rocket fire, because crater is always present from an airborne munition.

This is an example of the type of excellent "news analysis" that CNN is known for in its war reporting. Bring in a retired General that is an expert on the subject, and let him explain what happened, instead of having 2 dudes and 3 chicks sitting on a couch sipping coffee and sharpshooting.   

Edited by kfrankie
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I find it ironic that many in the conservative movement, particulary those pushing the  election fraud in 2020 election narrative; government weaponization narrative; and crooked Joe Biden narrative now care about "truth".  

Their heads are exploding over Rashida Tlaib pushing fake news.  She's wrong, but pushing fake narratives in 2023 is a perfectly acceptable for MAGA.

And in Tlaib's defense, I still watch the open source video and two things stand out.  

First, it clearly looks like I can see a fast moving smoke trail of a projectile heading groundward.  I haven't seen any explanation for how these simple rockets produce that phenomena.  If the rocket broke up it would tumble.  This is why I wonder if it was an errant Iron Dome shot.  

Second, I haven't seen information as to how that rocket caused such a huge explosion.  Assuming the hospital staff are not lying, I have rarely heard of the Hamas/PIJ rockets doing large damage.  I think they rarely kill civilians or kill handfulls.  Sure, taking out walls and parts of structures.  I would be more convinced if I saw a Hamas/PIJ attack that did similar damags.  I have a hard time believing a large death toll..

An errant rocket randomly struck nearly dead center of the courtyard?  Very precise for a random rocket.  

And yes... the video posted shows exactly what I am talking about.  If the rocket flamed out, it wouldn't "drop".  It would fly a ballistic trajectory.  That's where I start to think... "that sounds like a little bit of BS".  

But I also think that we have no idea that what we are watching in the video is that rocket.  There could have been another rocket that flamed out earlier....

12 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

And yes... the video posted shows exactly what I am talking about.  If the rocket flamed out, it wouldn't "drop".  It would fly a ballistic trajectory.  That's where I start to think... "that sounds like a little bit of BS".  

But I also think that we have no idea that what we are watching in the video is that rocket.  There could have been another rocket that flamed out earlier....

Not when its motor driven. At least according to the General, once the motor dies these type of rockets fall like a brick.

• Like 1

Let's just lay all our cards out on the table. I'll start with mine first: I am going to selectively pick and choose which experts I believe based on who I am more biased towards. If they say something that disagrees with me, I am going to question the field they've worked in for their entire lifetime because they are part of the "deep state".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1