Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How are you reading into Magics tweet?

gortiz

6 minutes ago, gortiz said:

I have to think he didn't just whip out his phone and write this.  Was it coordinated in someway with Josh? 

The tweet kind of feels unprecedented ... is it? It for sure is pretty damning. 

It means wholesale changes are coming and it's been earned.

• Like 4

For sure it means Ron has hee’d his last haw. When is another question. But when one of the biggest guys at the table says that about you, your days are numbered. 

and they should be. By all measure they as a group have failed to live up to any expectation set for them. It’s real bad. 

• Like 2

I mentioned this in another thread...

Magic is a far better mouthpiece then Harris is, and comes across more genuine with respect to knowing what he specifically does not like about a particular sports team having played professional sports (and being damn good at it).

It also gives him more credibility...if this specific situation wasn't orchestrated, it was definitely discussed at some point that Magic would say things Harris wasn't comfortable with to insinuate what potentially the entire ownership group is thinking.

Last night the "owners" made it clear that was unacceptable...that is a warning shot if ever I heard one.

The next test is who answers the "is he in the hot seat" question, if Harris seemingly defers to Magic, we know who to look for when questions like that come up going forward.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

It's kind of tough to read it as anything other than "Y'all have been doing the same **** for a few years now, the countdown has started for all you mother****ers."

sounds like Jules from Pulp Fiction interpreting the tweet ... but I agree.  I'm not sure its getting enough attention, pretty heavy ****. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Have you all read Magic’s Twitter feed the last decade? He says the most basic boring statements of fact in the sports world disguised as opinions. The only difference is he said “we” this time since he’s attached to it. 

Nothing going on here. Look when he took over the lakers front office, he did nothing. He didn’t want to scout, he didn’t want to travel or put in the work. He wanted to hang out watch games and shake hands He is coasting man and making business friends and being happy making money. 

That’s all he’s here for. This tweet doesn’t mean anything. I kept hearing he called the team out and actually laughed that this is the tweet people are saying “rips” the commanders. This tweet doesn’t rip anyone it’s the same boring tweet magic always sends 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I don't read anything into it. I've been following Magic ironically on Twitter for years, because he's a billionaire sports legend who "owns" pieces of 65 teams apparently yet has the same sports takes as an alcoholic Boston sports talk caller.

His sports opinions are always weirdly banal, especially on Twitter.

I expect a "The Commanders need to trade for Pat Mahomes" tweet soon.

Having said that, if he ever decides to bail on this team, that means he's decided it's bad for the Magic Brand and is utterly unfixable. That would be bad.

Behind the scenes, I think he is a bit of a business savant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Magic is a far better mouthpiece then Harris is

interesting man ... I wonder if he plays the role of "bad guy" for harris.  makes sense.  he knows what it takes, obviously not in the nfl, but you know what i mean.  i'm blown away by the whole thing. I mean, talk about taking off your belt and yelling at the the kids "DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Have you all read Magic’s Twitter feed the last decade? He says the most basic boring statements of fact in the sports world disguised as opinions. The only difference is he said “we” this time since he’s attached to it. 

Nothing going on here. Look when he took over the lakers front office, he did nothing. He didn’t want to scout, he didn’t want to travel or put in the work. He wanted to hang out watch games and shake hands He is coasting man and making business friends and being happy making money. 

That’s all he’s here for. This tweet doesn’t mean anything 

The Lakers need to sign Lebron.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Have you all read Magic’s Twitter feed the last decade? He says the most basic boring statements of fact in the sports world disguised as opinions.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't read anything into it. I've been following Magic ironically on Twitter for years, because he's a billionaire sports legend who "owns" pieces of 65 teams apparently yet has the same sports takes as an alcoholic Boston sports talk caller.

great context, thanks ya'll ... I guess form those that follow him this is run of the mill and almost expected ... 

It’s a big nothing burger.

The performance being unacceptable is obvious. 

Yes, the part owner tweeting it is new. But I just don’t care. It doesn’t mean a thing. 

Ron is on the hot seat? We knew that. So did he, remember the “send me my rings” statement?

Nothing has changed because of this tweet. But if it makes some people feel better I’m all for it and glad he did it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I get it, but now he has a direct financial tie to this, even as a minority owner. He can easily be the "bad cop" in instances like this, or a lightning rod for the general thoughts of the rest of the owners. This is an investment. Now... while he's sure to make money, I'm also sure he'd like to maximize that investment. 

I haven’t been following Magic, so I really don’t know the context of his posting.

I just think when you start talking about intensity and fire, that’s a direct shot at the head coach - that you don’t normally see from top brass.

I know if I’m Ron, I’d be a little bit more embarrassed than I already was, after hearing of this.

5 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I get it, but now he has a direct financial tie to this, even as a minority owner. He can easily be the "bad cop" in instances like this, or a lightning rod for the general thoughts of the rest of the owners. This is an investment. Now... while he's sure to make money, I'm also sure he'd like to maximize that investment. 

magic is never going to be the bad guy. Nobody here should be expecting that from him. He’s not going to rip anyone.He’s here to watch football games, be on tv, make new rich friends, and make money without having to do anything. The sooner people realize that, the better off they will be 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

magic is never going to be the bad guy. Nobody here should be expecting that from him. He’s not going to rip anyone.He’s here to watch football games, be on tv, make new rich friends, and make money without having to do anything. The sooner people realize that, the better off they will be 

As a minority owner, he truly has to do nothing. No hiring or firing decisions, nothing. That's why I think it's easy for him to be a mouthpiece and get out what the other owners are thinking.

Edit: by "bad cop," I don't mean "bad guy," just the one who will say what the other owners will say, think or know like the "bad cop" cliche.

Edited by ntotoro

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t think he’s here to be the bad guy, so to speak.  He’s actually here to be the good guy - the celebrity people like, and the voice people want to hear.  Which is why the fans like to hear him take a shot, purposely or not, at the head coach of a team that led that putrid display last night.

Just now, ntotoro said:

As a minority owner, he truly has to do nothing. No hiring or firing decisions, nothing. That's why I think it's easy for him to be a mouthpiece and get out what the other owners are thinking.

Magic got burned in 1981 in his feud with Westhead. That is the first and last time he ever let himself be the public bad guy.

Magic is here to get free gear, meet politicians, get paid, and expand his brand. 

"They aren't intense" is literally the most basic sports criticism you can make and still actually be talking about sports. That's as far as he is ever going to go in criticizing someone publicly.

Magic is here to be loved.

• Like 2