Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

The Maye hate/diseespect is wild to me. He pretty much has everything youre looking for in a franchise QB prospect. 

I dont view it as hate OR disrespect.

Doubt is a better word IMO.

I've been one of his biggest doubters but I dont hate him.

What I dont understand is the love fest and assumption that he is the answer in Washington. It's a real head scratcher considering Clemson beat him TWICE and he didnt even win his bowl game last year.

He laid eggs in his final two games this year vs Clemson and NC State. If you look at last year when he had a much better year statistically, he laid an egg vs Clemson in the ACC champ game and then played a decent game vs Oregon in the bowl game but didn't pull out the W. Fine, can blame that on his defense in the Oregon game if you want, but he had opps in that game and missed some important throws with the game on the line and Oregon took advantage. If you look at the tape he could have put the game away with his arm and missed some 3rd down throws.

I just view this #2 pick as a very important situation for this football team and I am wary about putting it on a guy that comes from a school and coach without a solid Qb pedigree.  Mack Brown has coached exactly ONE quarterback that made a Pro Bowl in the NFL, Vince Young.  Outside of that Mack Brown just hasnt produced NFL talent at QB unless you think Chris Simms and Colt McCoy are awesome.

Maye could absolutely be light years ahead of any of the previous players that Brown has recruited and mentored, but are you willing to risk this teams future on that?

I'm not willing to do that.  Call it hate or disrespect if you want, but I think this guy has a very good chance of busting and not doing squadoosh in the NFL. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, illone said:

Same. I don’t see it at all. Daniels would be my QB2, but not worthy of the second pick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, illone said:

What I dont understand is the love fest and assumption that he is the answer in Washington. It's a real head scratcher considering Clemson beat him TWICE and he didnt even win his bowl game last year.

He laid eggs in his final two games this year vs Clemson and NC State. If you look at last year when he had a much better year statistically, he laid an egg vs Clemson in the ACC champ game and then played a decent game vs Oregon in the bowl game but didn't pull out the W. Fine, can blame that on his defense in the Oregon game if you want, but he had opps in that game and missed some important throws with the game on the line and Oregon took advantage. If you look at the tape he could have put the game away with his arm and missed some 3rd down throws.

I just view this #2 pick as a very important situation for this football team and I am wary about putting it on a guy that comes from a school and coach without a solid Qb pedigree.  Mack Brown has coached exactly ONE quarterback that made a Pro Bowl in the NFL, Vince Young.  Outside of that Mack Brown just hasnt produced NFL talent at QB unless you think Chris Simms and Colt McCoy are awesome.

Maye could absolutely be light years ahead of any of the previous players that Brown has recruited and mentored, but are you willing to risk this teams future on that?

I'm not willing to do that.  Call it hate or disrespect if you want, but I think this guy has a very good chance of busting and not doing squadoosh in the NFL. 

What's really sad is losing to 3 win Virginia who could not beat James Madison? Did not play Florida St. or Louisville. Only ranked teams they played NCST 21. Clemson 20 and lost those by double digits.

Edited by skinsfan66

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

What's really sad is losing to 3 Virginia who could not beat James Madison? Did not play Florida St. or Louisville. Only ranked teams they played NCST 21. Clemson 20.

Whoa! Watch it with the JMU slander. Bama, Texas, and Oregon all had more losses than the Dukes.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

What's really sad is losing to 3 win Virginia who could not beat James Madison? Did not play Florida St. or Louisville. Only ranked teams they played NCST 21. Clemson 20 and lost those by double digits.

Yea, another weird L on his resume. How do you lose to UVA? That team was a dumpster fire... Could argue they were looking ahead to Georgia Tech, but they lost that game too.

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Keep it going until we’ve traded with the Bears for #1

This right here. 

Most realistic outcome imo. Give up the top 2nd rounder. Not a steep price, at all. 

Bears can collect the 2nd rounder, and then get a future 1st+ to trade down with a team looking for a QB.

Sets them up with two 1sts and two 2nd in 2025, if Fields isn't the guy for the short-term. Chicago has always got a running style, play-action team. I think it could work. 

31 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

This is what scares me. It is part of the reason I predicted Danny Jones would be a bust. He could never beat UVA. Not once in his college career. 

Maye has beaten them, but lost to one of the worst versions of a UVA team I have ever seen this year. To be fair though, he had a good game overall vs UVA, but the UNC defense couldnt stop anything.

Edited by CommandB11

29 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

This right here. 

Most realistic outcome imo. Give up the top 2nd rounder. Not a steep price, at all. 

Bears can collect the 2nd rounder, and then get a future 1st+ to trade down with a team looking for a QB.

Sets them up with two 1sts and two 2nd in 2025, if Fields isn't the guy for the short-term. Chicago has always got a running style, play-action team. I think it could work. 

If the Bears want to keep going with Fields and they know we and NE want QBs, wouldn’t they go to NE and say Washington wants to give us a second, can you beat it. And then NE says, hell yeah, we really want Williams so we’ll give you our second, out 2025 second, our 2026 second, our #3, and our 2025 first. Do you get into a bidding war with them?

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If the Bears want to keep going with Fields and they know we and NE want QBs, wouldn’t they go to NE and say Washington wants to give us a second, can you beat it. And then NE says, hell yeah, we really want Williams so we’ll give you our second, out 2025 second, our 2026 second, our #3, and our 2025 first. Do you get into a bidding war with them?

Not for that much 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Not for that much 

My point is that Chicago is in the perfect position to play NE and Was off each other (especially if the consensus is that there is some distance between Daniels and Williams/Maye.

I don’t think a simple price of a second rounder gets it done.

All that said, my money would be on Chicago drafting Williams.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Whoa! Watch it with the JMU slander. Bama, Texas, and Oregon all had more losses than the Dukes.

Not slandering JMU they are a great small school up their every year for National championship. Plus the great Gary Clark played there. Not to leave out LeftyDrisell coached there too. My favorite small school, How's that!

19 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

A lot will depend on who the Bears covet and what their plans are at QB. It's a guessing game right now as they have not tipped their hand one bit outside of potentially retaining Eberflus. Even that doesnt signal what can happen in the draft since Eberflus inherited Fields so one could argue the org wants to give him a reset at QB. Everything I am reading points to the org being enamored with the coach but I havent seen the same glowing reviews of the other pieces...

Im on record as HOPING Fields is given another year since that will open the door to Washington obtaining the QB they want, but it also opens the door for a massive bidding war hence back to my previous point above: depends who they covet. Technically it will be hard to compete with Washington since the #2 pick is worth so much more than the #4 or #5 pick, but what if Chicago wants the WR and the Giants offer a kings ransom to move up? 

It's a fun exercise right now, but purely speculative.  Until Washington inks a deal to move up one spot we'll be here arguing and speculating about it like raving lunatics.

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Not slandering JMU they are a great small school up their every year for National championship. Plus the great Gary Clark played there. Not to leave out LeftyDrisell coached there too. My favorite small school, How's that!

Better. But we can do more. Best basketball and football team in the Commonwealth. Best looking alumni. 

• Haha 1

Given the supposedly analytics driven mindset of the evolving front office, I don't see any chance of us trading up given the probable failure rate/cost benefit analysis.

We have to hope Chicago drafts a QB, since we can be certain they will pick the wrong one, thus reducing our chances of error.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

My point is that Chicago is in the perfect position to play NE and Was off each other (especially if the consensus is that there is some distance between Daniels and Williams/Maye.

I don’t think a simple price of a second rounder gets it done.

All that said, my money would be on Chicago drafting Williams.

Teams don't always want the same guy, and teams further down have to offer the world, which rarely happens. There is a history of bad trades (RG3) to remind them and recent examples (Panthers) of the dangers of giving up a ton.

Look at the Eagles with Jalen. That could be the Bears. They won some games with him once he returned from injury.

They have drafted well under the current regime, so they can really upgrade the team these next 1-2 drafts and then mortgage the future for a top QB if needed via draft or trade.

Optimizes value of current assets. 

I doubt the Bears are going to trade with us unless we offer a legitimate haul.  Caleb Williams is a great QB prospect and the Bears are not stupid.  

If you scout by traits, Drake Maye is a very good prospect.  Worthy of being the number 1 pick in probably 2 out of 3 drafts.  This draft just happens to be in the 33% of drafts where he wouldn't go number 1.  I think people will gradually come around to Maye.  For a while it looked like we'd have a shot at Daniels but not Maye and I think a lot of us convinced ourselves they were equal prospects or that Daniels was actually the better prospect.  Now that we have the second pick over the next two months people will come around to Maye.   His traits are good.   Look if we just go by the odds, the odds that Maye will become an elite QB or pretty low, maybe 10%, and the odds that he even becomes a consistent mid level franchise guy in the 12-14 range is probably 50-50.  Those odds don't mean Maye isn't a great prospect, its just the nature of drafting QB's.  I think the odds are worse for all the other QB's minus Caleb Williams (Caleb Williams is the bluechipper of the class)  If you miss on a WR, they may never become a number 1 WR, but they can be a 2 or 3 and still be a decent starter like a Samuel or Dotson.   It doesn't work like that at QB

16 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I doubt the Bears are going to trade with us unless we offer a legitimate haul.  Caleb Williams is a great QB prospect and the Bears are not stupid.  

If you scout by traits, Drake Maye is a very good prospect.  Worthy of being the number 1 pick in probably 2 out of 3 drafts.  This draft just happens to be in the 33% of drafts where he wouldn't go number 1.  I think people will gradually come around to Maye.  For a while it looked like we'd have a shot at Daniels but not Maye and I think a lot of us convinced ourselves they were equal prospects or that Daniels was actually the better prospect.  Now that we have the second pick over the next two months people will come around to Maye.   His traits are good.   Look if we just go by the odds, the odds that Maye will become an elite QB or pretty low, maybe 10%, and the odds that he even becomes a consistent mid level franchise guy in the 12-14 range is probably 50-50.  Those odds don't mean Maye isn't a great prospect, its just the nature of drafting QB's.  I think the odds are worse for all the other QB's minus Caleb Williams (Caleb Williams is the bluechipper of the class)  If you miss on a WR, they may never become a number 1 WR, but they can be a 2 or 3 and still be a decent starter like a Samuel or Dotson.   It doesn't work like that at QB

That isn't the case with me, I just like Daniels better but Caleb is still #1 for me even though I have reservations there too. 

And I don't think Maye will be awful, he'll be fine. He's not an exciting player, doesn't have an exciting personality or demeanor, but he'll probably play well enough. He isn't what I think this team needs right now but he may be what we get. 

• Like 1