Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

CJ Stroud is special. And he is the reason you take a QB early in the draft. Rookies arent like the rookies of 20 years ago anymore. Many of them make an impact in the league immediately. Come on Pats win the damn game tomorrow. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

CJ Stroud is special. And he is the reason you take a QB early in the draft. Rookies arent like the rookies of 20 years ago anymore. Many of them make an impact in the league immediately. Come on Pats win the damn game tomorrow. 

Agree 100%. I've been wanting Daniels the most but that's cause I really didn't expect us to be in position to get the #2 pick and possibly be able to get Williams. If we got either of the 2 I'd be so excited. I'd be happy with Maye but not as excited. I just have this feeling Williams is gonna be our pick.

3 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Agree 100%. I've been wanting Daniels the most but that's cause I really didn't expect us to be in position to get the #2 pick and possibly be able to get Williams. If we got either of the 2 I'd be so excited. I'd be happy with Maye but not as excited. I just have this feeling Williams is gonna be our pick.

I just do not understand the love or hype for Daniels. He seems like a worse RG3. I certainly dont want that as a first round pick.

CJ Stroud was the best QB last year by a good margin, his accuracy was excellent much like most of the QBs who hit and he balled out in the biggest games (like his game vs Georgia) but everyone ignored it because he didn't do well on a dumb written test 

• Like 2

It could not be simpler IMO.

If you don’t have a franchise QB, finding one is priority #1.

If you can guarantee picking one of your two top QB prospects, you take it. Don’t get cute with trading back for someone you don’t like *as* much but could be good enough. Take your guy and hope it works.

If it doesn’t work, try again ASAP.

• Like 1

Whilst I think we'll go QB, I was thinking about whether Harris might surprise us and go against against the NFL grain. He's talked about long term focus, so I was thinking how he may do something very different in the draft, especially if the new brain trust has some reservations about the top QB's this year.

One idea I had was to consider a long term strategy of trading a high pick or two every year, with the main aim of adding picks in the following year in a higher round (an alternative could've just adding extra picks to increase your chances of hitting). Teams obviously trade down or out now, but I'm talking about doing this every season, with maybe the odd year whey you just love a prospect, and can trade up taking advantage of your extra capital. By doing this season after season, the big hit on high picks is in the first year you do it, but that aside you should benefit in the long term from the move up in rounds, and occasionally you may get very lucky like the Bears have this year with the No. 1 pick.

It's probably pie in the sky, but it's doing something other teams don't to your benefit, similar to the teams like the Ravens who play the compensation picks game.

It also makes sense for us to start this year as we've got a competent QB with some upside on a cheap deal, a very high draft pick which could garner us some serious draft capital, a very poor roster with many holes, and money to burn in FA. If they don't love any of the top QB's, there are a number of intriguing second tier QB's we could select to compete with Howell as well.

It's probably not going to happen, but with Harris having a background in other sports, and specifically talking about the long term, it just got me thinking about whether he might do something completely different than we've seen before, in an effort to reboot this franchise. It's an exciting time for fans regardless.

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Ironically, CJ Stroud was another lesson for me. I had him at QB2 despite the fact that I liked everything about him… but Bryce Young was such a good playmaker. Yes, he was small… but the things he made happen were so damn good. 

Oops.

7 hours ago, CommandB11 said:

Thats a disappointing result. I hate Stroud. Always happy to see him fail.

This is unhealthy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Young would be the reason you don't trade up, Panthers traded up the future for the no.1.  The Bears have their no.1 pick in the whole draft this year. Either way do not mortgage next year's no.1 to move up. No reason to panic like Carolina.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

When is the last time we made a trade down in the first round and didn't ultimately regret not taking the elite talent that was on the board?

True.

even the olave pass was looking like it was going to be a wash at worst but now it's looking like a sizeable miss.

Hoping the next regime can rehabilitate the career of Dotson and maybe get something for Howell at this point robinson is the only thing we got out of that and olave is top ten.

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So is the Lesson do not trade up? 

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

True.

even the olave pass was looking like it was going to be a wash at worst but now it's looking like a sizeable miss.

Hoping the next regime can rehabilitate the career of Dotson and maybe get something for Howell at this point robinson is the only thing we got out of that and olave is top ten.

Maybe Dotson was just a bad pick?

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

Maybe Dotson was just a bad pick?

Certainly could have been but he looked really good his rookie year and was showing flashes of top level route running.

He definitely had a sophomore slump but in the right situation with the right coach and coordinator I could see him turning it around.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, redskinss said:

Certainly could have been but he looked really good his rookie year and was showing flashes of top level route running.

He definitely had a sophomore slump but in the right situation with the right coach and coordinator I could see him turning it around.

WR's most times take off the second year and show what they are going to be.

6 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Young would be the reason you don't trade up, Panthers traded up the future for the no.1.  The Bears have their no.1 pick in the whole draft this year. Either way do not mortgage next year's no.1 to move up. No reason to panic like Carolina.  

If Washington ends up with the #2 pick, I don't want them to trade next year's first-round pick to move up one spot this year.  If they do, I won't necessarily be happy about it.  But if they end up getting their franchise QB for the next 10 years or more, I will be the happiest fan in America.  And, IMHO, they should only do it for Caleb Williams.

Just now, cakmoney61 said:

If Washington ends up with the #2 pick, I don't want them to trade next year's first-round pick to move up one spot this year.  If they do, I won't necessarily be happy about it.  But if they end up getting their franchise QB for the next 10 years or more, I will be the happiest fan in America.  And, IMHO, they should only do it for Caleb Williams.

Why only Caleb? Take who they think is the best, do not listen to the noise. You could be watching another team make a selection 1st. in the draft while your QB reduces your win total to 2.

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

When is the last time we made a trade down in the first round and didn't ultimately regret not taking the elite talent that was on the board?

Geez, how many times have we not traded down and regretted not taking a different player? Our track record isn't a good one to go by

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Geez, how many times have we not traded down and regretted not taking a different player? Our track record isn't a good one to go by

Yup.

We can't live in our past. 

Rocket ships don't have a rear view mirror. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I've regretted the reaches we've made, sometimes in real time.  But I've never regretted failing to trade down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Why only Caleb? Take who they think is the best, do not listen to the noise. You could be watching another team make a selection 1st. in the draft while your QB reduces your win total to 2.

It's my "opinion" that he is the best QB in this draft based on what my eyes have seen.  If Caleb is drafted first by someone else, I hope they take Drake Maye.  IMO, they must take a QB with their pick whoever is available when they pick.  But Caleb is my first choice.

1 minute ago, cakmoney61 said:

It's my "opinion" that he is the best QB in this draft based on what my eyes have seen.  If Caleb is drafted first by someone else, I hope they take Drake Maye.  IMO, they must take a QB with their pick whoever is available when they pick.  But Caleb is my first choice.

Is Caleb worth trading up and your next year's no.1? Or are you happy sitting at 2/3 and taking no.2 QB? 

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I've regretted the reaches we've made, sometimes in real time.  But I've never regretted failing to trade down.

I regretted them not trading down many years compared to many of the selections they made.

I regretted them taking Chase Young. I was never on board with taking him. We tossed a great opportunity to dramatically strengthen the roster and set the team up for the future. That was a selection you strongly wanted if memory serves me correctly. Generational Talent!

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I regretted them not trading down many years compared to many of the selections they made.

I regretted them taking Chase Young. I was never on board with taking him. We tossed a great opportunity to dramatically strengthen the roster and set the team up for the future. That was a selection you strongly wanted if memory serves me correctly. Generational Talent!

Who did you think they should have traded down with and picked in 2020?