Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Ron era has failed. In retrospect what do you think was the overarching plans did he have for taking us to the promise land?

Stihl89

I just look at so many of these roster moves and scratch my head thinking “what exactly was the plan here”? So I would love to have some other ideas to what the goals were for Ron and how did he think they would achieve them. 

Personally I’m here with it. I think Ron was attempting to build a team to consistently compete for the playoffs by building a strong run and run defense. You can beat a lot of teams with this method. It’s good in beating teams who don’t have a QB. It’s good to occasionally knock off a better team by shortening games. But this just such a limiting ceiling and with QBs never mattering more even a bad QB can hurt you with just their legs. 

Ron and co had a good idea that would work for 2003. But not one that would for 2023

I think he did not really have an overarching plan beyond changing the culture. I think he did that to some degree and I think he hard one of the hardest jobs ever under the former regime. But from his coaching and front office hires, to the way we attacked the opponents on game days. It's clear as day that the NFL has passed guys like Rivera and JDR. They have no answer for the high powered offenses and creative defenses that some young guys are running in this league.

And it doesn't help that they "outsmarted" themselves every ****ing year in the draft. If the consensus of the fans made the draft picks in round 1 the last three years we would probably have drafted Darrisaw, Olave and Gonzalez. While I agree we got solid players in the return for the Olave trade, the only one that we would be really missing right now is Sam Howell and we could have drafted Sam Howell regardless of the trade down. Those three players look like blue chip players and difference makers.

Chase Young, Jamin Davis, Sam Cosmi, Jahan Dotson, Phidarian Mathis, Emmanuel Forbes, Jartavius Martin.

I think that is just a horrible track record of drafting early for this team. There is not a single player on this list that has exceeded expectations. When fans, who basically mostly go off the opinion of beat writers could have drafted better than you over such a long period of time...well...that says a lot.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ron has once said that his plan had been to build a team in a similar manner as Buffalo, that is...build the team first without having a QB in place (since we really didn't have a good QB anyway) then plug in the QB later, similar to what Buffalo did with Josh Allen.

This season, the problem has been just the opposite. We finally lucked into someone who seems to be a really good QB with lots of upside but the rest of team around him has been mediocre. The only exceptions to that are Payne, Allen, Terry, and possibly Dotson and Robinson. This is just the opposite of what had been supposed to happen. 

The problem has been that he drafts poorly and the rest of the personnel he has brought in have been ex-panther players and staff he used to coach with in his previous job. He really hasn't seemed to be able to find any other way to acquire really good talent.

I am not going to write off this season yet.  However I think the standard for this year is playoffs or bust and if we bust again in year 4 I think it would be prudent to move on from Rivera.   After last night the odds of us making the playoffs are what...maybe 20%.  Its not looking good right.

I really don't understand the defensive struggles.  So much resources and talent.  We spent 6 out of our last 8 first round picks on defense and 3 out of 5 of last second picks on defense.  Why is so bad.  Also brought in a fairly high price player in Kendall Fuller.  Why is it so bad?  Giving up 35.5 points over the last four games which is almost unheard of bad.   We gave up 33, 37, 34, and 40 points in those games.  Given how we have used the vast majority of draft capital there, that is just unacceeptable.

And one potential issue with Forbes is that while I think he could eventually thrive in a quarters heavy scheme like we play as he gets more tough on the job training, what happens if Rivera gets fired and we to like a bump and run system, where Forbes doesn't have the physical tools to be a starter level caliber player.  I still won't say Forbes was a bad pick, he is a very scheme dependent player.

I am so disappointed in this team right now.  I took today off from work because I really wanted to enjoy the game and was afraid I wouldn't be able to get to sleep until 1 am.   Which pretty much happened, yet I am so disappointed in this team that I am up at 6 am writing on a message board.  This one definitely hurt.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Personally I’m here with it. I think Ron was attempting to build a team to consistently compete for the playoffs by building a strong run and run defense. You can beat a lot of teams with this method. It’s good in beating teams who don’t have a QB. It’s good to occasionally knock off a better team by shortening games. But this just such a limiting ceiling and with QBs never mattering more even a bad QB can hurt you with just their legs.

I don't know how you look at it and say this was their plan because they can't do either of those things well.  He's got 2 first round picks invested in WRs and the top 2 picks this year are CBs.  He's got no high picks invested in the OL which would seem to be important if you plan to run the ball.

The DL seems to be ok at rushing the passer, but they're bad against the run.  And the offense can't run the ball either because the OL is so bad.

I guess you did say attempted.  But the issue then isn't his plan, it is that he's completely failed at what he was trying to do.

(I think there is room in the NFL for a team to be very good with a strong running game, especially in an era where tackling is so poor.  But you'll also have to have some creativity in the offense and at least run some RPO.  You can't just line up say hey we're going to run the ball 25+ times a game.)

Edited by PeterMP

He did a good job in helping clean up the culture stuff, but at the end of the day its year 4 and we're still getting blown out at home by awful teams and struggling for mediocrity.

He's a dinosaur and I personally think he's all but checked out. Its time for him to go.

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Decent coach, solid leader, good man…

Bad choice to have final say on roster.

He's a good man. That's it. He's a bad coach and I question his leadership when he can't get the team ready to play against a god awful team.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Ron didn't over-plan, he under-delivered. It actually seems as if he has never had a plan!

This is an era where massive changes can occur in one season and Ron never came close to that even after several seasons. I can't say he lost the locker room... I don't know that he ever really had it. I don't put weight on the "He changed the culture" argument because all that means is not being a ****ty Snyder-esque human being. It's common decency, nothing too, too special.

His personnel decisions have been awful and actually gotten worse over the seasons. There is no other way to describe it. His Assistant Coaches are the same. They can change their schemes and put players in the best positions, they just don't seem to want to do that. I wished I could understand why. They're all birds of a feather. 

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just draft every season the best you can.  Draft for need.  Work that shopping list.   Team weakneses is more of a mindset than a reality -- the solution is usually in house.   Ultimately over time you will be rewarded for that approach and success will come organically.

Play it medium.  Don't sell out for the present but also don't push hard for the future either.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Ron Rivera got smoked at home in 2019 to a pathetic Redskins team coached by an Interim HC that was 2-9 going into the game. He was fired the day after that game. His plan was probably retirement or a DC position somewhere in the future but considering the fact that his Carolina defense was so bad (31st in the league) I don't know who would have hired him.

Then Doofus Dan called.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1