Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

22 Years since 9/11

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

During the previous election cycle, Bush had gone from arguing we needed tax cuts because the federal government had too much money (in the primary) and that was bad to that we needed tax cuts to prevent a recession.

I recall at the time, the Republican justification for tax cuts was that they had

1) taken the tech bubble

2) projected it continuing indefinitely. 
3). Taken the most extremely optimistic end of the margin of error. 
4). Added in a fudge factor, to account for the proven success of trickle down economics

5). And looked at the resulting projection. 

I remember Rush Limbaugh explaining that according to this forecast, the entire national debt would be paid off in 2015. 

And this, he explained, was a situation that must be prevented. 

Because there was a chance that the Democrats might be power, when the national debt is paid off. And we all know that if that happens, the Democrats will spend the money. 

And therefore, we need tax cuts right now. So that we can prevent the national debt from being paid off in 2015. 

I was asleep when the planes hit, as it was my off day. Woke up and had turned on the tv to see that this happened and watched the towers fall.

To think, I was in DC the previous week on vacation.

It’s a shame the neocons used that attack to enact their agenda of invading Iraq.

The right wing was making a big deal that Biden wasn’t there for ceremonies today; since he was traveling back from his summit. We will always remember this day but as time fades; only those impacted will feel something.

It's amazing to me that this was 22 years ago. In two years, this will be "half my life ago" and that's so strange to me. I was working in Rosslyn and had basically just arrived at work when the news broke of the first plane in NY. A co-worker and I went into a conference room to watch one of the morning shows for a few minutes. I don't think I saw the second plane live, but saw reports of it because I just kept refreshing CNN at my desk. 

That's when it got a little chaotic since it became clear that our nation was under attack. It got VERY chaotic for us locally when we felt the rumble of the Pentagon nearby (for anyone not local, Rosslyn isn't too far away). I don't remember timelines, but it couldn't have been more than an hour when they made the decision to send us home. All of Arlington was evacuating at the same time because that's when the rumors were swirling. Our building was "the tallest in that area" (whether that's true or not, I have no idea) so people were panicking. The drive home with my roommate who worked at a building across the street took 2 hours even though we lived two Metro stops away. 

Surreal. 

Side note.  One of the first things New York City businessman Donald Trump had to say on air when interviewed by a local news station on 9/11, in the minutes after the towers came crashing down, was that with the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers, his building was now the tallest in downtown Manhattan.

Edit: In addition to revealing his malignant narcissism, the statement was a lie.  

Edited by Dan T.

The further we get from 9/11, the more divergent the ways people treat it becomes. I remember seeing it live with one of my parents after the other called home from a dentist appointment to tell us it was happening. These days, I'll watch pretty much any documentary about it that's put up. But for one of my parents, seeing a little bit of the 60 Minutes episode about it on Sunday had him saying that it's been 22 years, it's time to let the dead rest, and that it's morbid to keep milking television episodes out of people dying so many years ago. Watching the episode myself later, it struck me that one of the interviewees said that any chance she gets, she'll speak the name of someone who died because she wants him to be remembered, and that he's alive if he's remembered.

I'm conflicted. I don't know why I'm drawn to watching about it. I think part of it is that I want to get a glimpse of how life and people changed before I had any concept of what it was changing from. Part of it is that I want to understand the people who were able to make such difficult choices and open their arms to those in need (the Canadian own taking in so many stranded American flights during the grounding still gets to me every time I read about the effort they went through to make the passengers feel welcome). Or maybe I'm just ghoulish for still being fascinated by the worst terrorist attack in America in my lifetime. After a week, I'll box up the feelings and ponder it in another year.

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm wondering how much longer the annual recognition will be at this level.  Nobody does stuff for Pearl Harbor day anymore. 

Probably because the majority of WWII veterans are dead at this point.  People still remember this vividly.

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

This was just the Onion-level stupidity of imaginary infographics and stuff.

Much worse was the case against Saddam with the aluminum tubes which a single CIA analyst with very limited knowledge said were for a centrifuge to enrich uranium for a bomb, while the Department of Energy with a standing army of experts on centrifuges had at least a dozen reasons why the tubes were not for a centrifuge and most likely for rockets. One DoE analyst famously said if Saddam wants to build centrifuges out of these types of tubes we should give him as many as he wants because they won’t work.

In spite of this, Condi pushed this ‘evidence’ hard that Saddam was restarting his nuclear program, even though there was nothing to back it up.

• Like 1