Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

15 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Does this guy not know what he's doing? Handling the media should be the easy part.

Sheeeesh!

It's actually probably the hardest part, to be honest.  What Bill Belichick does is actually extraordinary.  Gibbs was a master also.  Say words but say nothing, never piss anybody off, never go too far in either direction, give credit when credit is due, but don't go too far, don't place blame but also don't cover up mistakes. Take responsibility yourself.

It's actually very hard, and it's NOT what any of these guys actually have any formal education on.  They are kindof like the "press secretary" for the team.  But their background is (most likely) playing and then coaching football, not talking to the media.  

There is a media team to help them, but they have to do it themselves.  

It's actually pretty hard.  

8 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Perhaps his tendency to go on and on prompted the prepared statement. Time to move on to Friday's game.

Josh: "Ron, prepare a statement and stick to it.  Good talk.  Thanks.  Bye-ee"

One thing bothers me with the prepared statements and not just with Ron. When you are making an apology about something you know you’ve done wrong, why does a prepared statement need to be used? If you are apologizing, I feel it should come from you in the moment and not a sheet of paper. 

I understand if you have a speech to make, you need the talking points, but apologies imo shouldn’t be prepared if you believe it. I’m nitpicking here of course and not trying to pile on the dude. 

• Like 1

Well, trying to explain it is almost worse...

I think I would have said this AM, "Look, my comments yesterday were phrased in a way that led to speculation on many things. To make it clear: Our players are working hard and are responsive to Coach Bienemy and Coach Bienemy is doing an excellent job. Next question."

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Also, Craig Hoffman very clearly doesn’t get it, because he’s ignoring that it’s not about the content of what Rivera said exactly—it’s that the HC is not supposed to go in the kitchen and stupidly cook up controversy in an unforced error. 

Hoffman is saying that Ron's quotes aren't actually consequential.  He's right, they aren't.

Just now, Going Commando said:

Hoffman is saying that Ron's quotes aren't actually consequential.  He's right, they aren't.

Disagree.

When you give the media an opening they will take it and beat everyone over the head with it.

I don't know why people think the media doesn't play a role in team chemistry/building atmosphere.

They do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Disagree.

When you give the media an opening they will take it and beat everyone over the head with it.

I don't know why people think the media doesn't play a role in team chemistry/building atmosphere.

They do. 

Nah they're good.  The people who work with Ron love him.  Those assistants love him, and his players love him.  Him being impolitic in an interview is going to have zero impact on their performance or season.  They won't even remember this nonsense next week.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ron shouldn’t need a baby sitter in my opinion. He also shouldn’t have to be shielded from making errors. That’s not what the best require.

Just do your job better. And part of that includes dealing with significant media interaction.

I disagree.  This is the latest in a slew of gaffes and unforced media errors by Ron.  Don’t forget that last year, he had that tirade about the Carson Wentz acquisition after the Bears game when the report came out that Dan was involved in the recruitment process.  There was also that unbelievably dumb gaffe he had after the Browns game about not realizing that the team would be eliminated if they had lost to the Browns.  That was embarrassing, and a cherry on top of a crappy end to the season.

Ron is not a particularly bright person, especially when it comes to dealing with the media.  He definitely needs a media consultant, or some kind of media training on what to say and not say.  He should be locked in a room for a week to watch Bill Bellichick sessions with the media. Sure he’s the best coach of all time, but part of that is also how he protects his team and players from any unforced errors that the media will jump on.  THAT’S how you deal with the press.

Edited by samy316

Just now, Going Commando said:

Nah they're good.  The people who work with Ron love him.  Those assistants love him, and his players love him.  Him being impolitic in an interview is going to have zero impact on their performance or season.  They won't even remember this nonsense next week.

If you say so.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Disagree.

They do. 

That seems to be clear that Ron thinks so considering the narrative from the local media that Ron was trying to convince them that Wentz is better than he looked in camp in real time last off season and then this camp apparently again some in the local media were made aware that Ron is aware of the media perception of the O line and wants to buck that unit up with praise in kind.

In today's press conference, Ron goes to Standig "You cannot deny that yesterday was a good practice can you?  And he said it on a feisty way.  Then goes to Standig don't be afraid of the question.  Ron coming off edgy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

So, we don't suck anymore?  :P

(The "Oh no, we suck again" is one of my favorite memes.  I really wish there was an opposite.)

I really can't wait for the regular season.  The first 6 games, particularly. 

A few things:

- If they lose the opener, it will be too early to really tell how good he team is going to be. They could rebound and win the next 4 games.  Statistically, openers are AWFUL predictors of the rest of the season.  Hell, we won the opener last year. And in 2020.  

- If they lose the opener, I will still post and call for Ron to be fired because of complete failure to do his job. I will know it's too soon, and I will know he won't be. And I get that.  But man, it would be such a kick to the teeth after the ownership change to lose an opener against a team with either Colt McCoy or a rookie at QB.  

- I don't think they are going to lose the opener.  

- I desperately want to see a split with the Bills and Eagles.  In any direction. 

- I am SO curious to see what the offense looks like in "real" situations.  Can the spread the ball around quickly?   Can they mimic the pace Reid's teams play at, getting in and out of the huddle quickly or even using no-huddle (which doesn't mean hurry-up.)

- Can Howell play "well." Not just "better than last year" but actually "well."

- Who gets more targets: D. Brown or C. Saumuel?  I don't think it's a given Samuel gets more targets.  

- How do they use the RBs and what does the run game really look like?

- Does the OL hold up better than expected.

- How does the defense look in the second year of this "zone match" system they have implemented?  Are they really going to be able to shut teams down and be not only a top 5 defense, but a game winning defense?

- How many snaps is there more than 1 LB on the field? I kindof think it might be less than 50% of the time  I'm also thinking they might use NO LBs some this year, 5 DL and 6 Secondary.  Which would be BOLD and BEAUTIFUL.

So many questions.  There are no answers to any of these right now.  

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Then you, like Hoffman, are also wrong. They’re consequential because they exist when they shouldn’t. Saying the content of what he said isn’t important is missing the point. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Color me unimpressed. If the franchise was so vital to Marylands economy, why didn't they at least try to facilitate fan access to the stadium? Buses, Metro extension, gondolas, mules, whatever. Maryland had Fedex locked up for years and ignored it. Now that we have an owner with options they're suddenly important again?

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

If you say so.

Ron has been here three years, and so have most of the players and coaches.  You don't think everyone in the building gets Ron by now?  Understands what he means when he talks?  Bieniemy is the only new guy, and it sounds like Ron cleared things up with him.  He didn't really even say anything bad about Bieniemy, just that he was a hard charger.  All the bad **** Bieniemy has had to hear about himself in his coaching career, I don't think this is going to bother him.

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Color me unimpressed. If the franchise was so vital to Marylands economy, why didn't they at least try to facilitate fan access to the stadium? Buses, Metro extension, gondolas, mules, whatever. Maryland had Fedex locked up for years and ignored it. Now that we have an owner with options they're suddenly important again?

My guess is they wanted absolutely nothing to do with Dan.  But you do have a point.

As a life-long Virginian, I want the stadium in DC or VA because it will make my life better.  Also, as a life-long Virginian, everything on the other side of the Potomac is scarry and terrifying.  :P 

PS: And people from Maryland can't drive.  (Said in jest.  Kindof.)

• Like 2

Just now, Conn said:

Then you, like Hoffman, are also wrong. They’re consequential because they exist when they shouldn’t. Saying the content of what he said isn’t important is missing the point. 

The content is all that really matters, it's the only thing that can be genuinely consequential.  Freaking out about this nonsense in order to attack Ron's competence as a coach is missing the point.  Is Ron a bad coach?  No, and his comments don't change that in any way.  That locker room is all in on him, they get him and his style.

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Ron has been here three years, and so have most of the players and coaches.  You don't think everyone in the building gets Ron by now?  Understands what he means when he talks?  Bieniemy is the only new guy, and it sounds like Ron cleared things up with him.  He didn't really even say anything bad about Bieniemy, just that he was a hard charger.  All the bad **** Bieniemy has had to hear about himself in his coaching career, I don't think this is going to bother him.

I think getting/liking Ron and having to answer questions (and having the fact they went to him and he went and told the media) because of a controversy Ron spawned are two different animals. 

Do I think he loses the team over this? Of course not.

Do I think it's making an unnecessary friction? Yes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think the friction is tiny and everyone will move past it immediately.  They're grown ups, and they've got a preseason game coming up and they have a lot of work to do.

I agree it ultimately does wind up that way, yes.

But the point that it has stirred unnecessary negative attention shouldn't be ignored. Context matters with these things.

It's not the end of the world, but it does emphasize that Rivera stinks with the media.

But as you know, I am not down on Rivera as a whole. I dislike his strategies from team building and media approach, though. But all in all I've been fine with his performance.