Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, he talked about him trying to stay healthy.  I am not a big fan of Charles even healthy from what I observed.  But he definitely has some talent-upside.   He had some boom-bust to his play at LSU IMO but more boom.  Had some off the field issues in college which hasn't knock on wood bled to the pros.

I mean, he was the starting left tackle for an undefeated LSU team.  He wasn't a bum in college.  But in the NFL, I think he missed his entire rookie year.  That's far from ideal.  He didn't really cut it at tackle, and now he's competing at guard.

What he does (or at least did) possess was good athletic ability.  He could get out and move a bit for a pretty big guy.

So, let's play the "if" game:

IF Leno stays consistent

IF Charles develops into a solid starting LG

IF Gates stays healthy and provides veteran leadership and solid play at Center

IF Cosmi finds a solid spot at RG, and stays healthy

IF Wylie is a passable RT

then the OL is going to be just fine, and maybe even "good."

Will all of those things happen? Unlikely.  They will have injuries somewhere, and not every guy is going to develop into the guy they need them to be.  But if....

The spots I'm watching most carefully are the 2 guard spots. They NEED Cosmi to just lock down the RG spot and make it a non-issue.  Be good and stay healthy.  Just do it.  At the left side, One of Charles/Paul has to develop into at least an average starter.  I'd say Charles has more athletic ability to do that, but we haven't seen him do it yet.  

For the other spots, I just believe Gates is going to be better than the revolving door we have had at Center, and if he goes down, Larsen is back, and they drafted a guy, so we should get better play than we have at center overall. 

And I think the tackles are going to be "fine."  Leno should just be the same.  And if Wylie really struggles, Lucas is there.  Lucas is "fine."  I just don't think he should be counted on to play a full season anymore. 

If Leno doesn't fall off a cliff and Cosmi is good at RG, I think the line is going to be "ok" with the assumption they have "professional" play at center.  Doesn't have to be great, just has to be better than Martin rolling the ball back to the QB and being pushed on his ass every play.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, let's play the "if" game:

IF Leno stays consistent

IF Charles develops into a solid starting LG

IF Gates stays healthy and provides veteran leadership and solid play at Center

IF Cosmi finds a solid spot at RG, and stays healthy

IF Wylie is a passable RT

Too many Ifs for me as you point out.  People are goofing on Norwell and Trai Turner for example now.  But that wasn't the case at the time of the signings.   There was a what if component for both players who have played VERY well for durations of their careers.  Masko getting his dudes back.  I recall the sell.  There was a narrative to sell their moves.

I don't like their depth either aside from at center.  Apparently we have the least pedigreed O line in the NFL if you factor draft position of the total lineup.  I think that sums up well how much Ron is willing to roll the dice on that unit.  He did it last year and it failed.  He's doing it again.  Will see this time.   But he lost credibility with me on the topic so I don't trust him on it.  He's done IMO a lousy job with that unit. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

13 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

If your'e bringing kids they seem to have a lot more kid friendly things like a kids-only autograph section, photo booths, the "ultimate tailgate experience" (wondering what that is). Seems like the bleachers are where we used to be for training camp last year, and there's also a suite there. VIP's get the tent in the end zone. VIP also have parking by the stadium if you signed up for it. 

This is the exact kind of stuff the team used to do - fan friendly things - til the former owner turned every single ****ing thing into an opportunity to gouge the fans for money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am hitting only one day of training camp this year, have some other commitments in the way.  That’s the practice I’ll be at. 10,000. Impressive 

Same.

We try to avoid weekends but, due to other obligations, this is the only day that works for me and Mrs. Skinsfan.

10,000 tickets and stands that seat 2,000 and blistering heat?   Ouch!

We've been to enough of these that we're there to soak up that atmosphere and get our football fix.   If we get good views of the action, then that's a bonus.   We're really, really looking forward to the party atmosphere and the excitement surround the team this year.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought Redacted is gone?

Who? I have no memories of [REDACTED]

57 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Oh, was EB able to pull Shane Buechele away from the Chiefs? :ols:

I’ve seen some bad takes here but this one is beyond bad. You jumped Buechele to #1? He’s a CLEAR #2 to Howell. Clearly your eyes fell out of your head. Please go find them.

yeesh.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

If your'e bringing kids they seem to have a lot more kid friendly things like a kids-only autograph section, photo booths, the "ultimate tailgate experience" (wondering what that is). Seems like the bleachers are where we used to be for training camp last year, and there's also a suite there. VIP's get the tent in the end zone. VIP also have parking by the stadium if you signed up for it. 

We signed up for VIP and the email that I received doesn't mention parking at the facility for VIP. Everything states parking at the mall and being bussed in, except for ADA parking with disabled tags and/or permits

10 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We signed up for VIP and the email that I received doesn't mention parking at the facility for VIP. Everything states parking at the mall and being bussed in, except for ADA parking with disabled tags and/or permits

Check your SeatGeek app 

If it's not there talk to your rep, I have a parking pass for Friday. Not sure when your practice Day is 

Edited by ixcuincle

21 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Check your SeatGeek app 

If it's not there talk to your rep, I have a parking pass for Friday. Not sure when your practice Day is 

Will do.   We're going Saturday. Thanks!

edit: I see it in the Commanders app   When I downloaded the TC tickets, I didn't bother checking for parking, because we've never had to do that in the past.

Thanks, again!  

Edited by Skinsfan1311