Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Chase R was broken for a long time. That had to be hard to deal with.

Wishing him the best in his early retirement, he was very good when healthy.

I would not mind having him hang around TC Kerrigan style this year either. Teach some stuff and see if he likes it.

• Like 6

@Koolblue13 you’ve been on the “Rouiller is our best OL” train for a long time.  

The thing is, he hasn’t been good in 3 seasons because he hasn’t been available. When he played he was ok.  But he played so little it didn’t matter. 

He wasn’t the best of anything and hasn’t been for a good long while now.

And today he retired.  

The odd thing is everyone except you seemed to know he was done, including him.  And the only reason he didn’t retire sooner was he was on IR and had to get off of it to be released.  Once he did that, it was really only a matter of time.  Nobody was going to sign him and he probably had no interest in playing again anyway.  

• Like 3

With all the OL talk, I think it break's down like this:

Fact: the players on the OL are average NFL starters. At best.  However, they are fairly young (in general) and fairly athletic. 

Their success and the success of the offense, and therefore the team, revolves around 2 factors:

1. Can EB scheme up a system where the ball is out in under 2.3 seconds, can they stay out of known passing situations (for the most part), and can they use their athleticism to offset the fact they are not going to be extremely stout 1:1.

2. Can Howell execute that system efficiently enough to keep the pressure off the OL.

If the answer to those two questions is "yes" then we could have somewhere between a "good" and "really good" offense.  What it would look like:

- A lot of early down quick passes to a variety of weapons (WRs, TE and RBS) to supplement the run.  "Replace the run with a short pass" is a staple of the WCO, and specifically the Andy Reid variant, of the WCO.  

- A real emphasis on stretching the field horizontally more than vertically.  There will be deep shots, but the offense will try to get defenses spread out at the LOS to find space quickly

- Use of both the outside zone run scheme and screen game.  Both of these get the OL on the move, which should be their strength. 

- Keeping the QB on the move in a variety of ways.  This could be using PA off stretch run plays just to move the pocket, it could be just roll-outs, or it could actually be QB runs.  This will get built into the offense.  I rather doubt we'll see a lot of 5/7 step straight-back drops.  

- I'm desperately hoping we see more hurry-up and tempo than we've seen in these parts since ... ever?  Except when other teams come and do it to us.  Just by altering the pace of the cadence and when the QB snaps the ball, getting up to the LOS to prevent substitutions, all of these are tricks to make the defense more vanilla and help a young QB.  I hope to God we use tempo a lot.  

I think Scott Turner did a horrendous job of protecting the QB and the OL last year.  All the thigs he could have done, he didn't.  I'm very much hoping this year is different. 

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Koolblue13 you’ve been on the “Rouiller is our best OL” train for a long time.  

The thing is, he hasn’t been good in 3 seasons because he hasn’t been available. When he played he was ok.  But he played so little it didn’t matter. 

He wasn’t the best of anything and hasn’t been for a good long while now.

And today he retired.  

The odd thing is everyone except you seemed to know he was done, including him.  And the only reason he didn’t retire sooner was he was on IR and had to get off of it to be released.  Once he did that, it was really only a matter of time.  Nobody was going to sign him and he probably had no interest in playing again anyway.  

Grasping at straws because we have ****. That article sip just posted is exactly what I've been saying. Oline is one of the most important things and ours got worse somehow after our coach called it out as a problem.We have great weapons and maybe a QB and we are dumping on them. Chase was up there with Scherff and Trent, so I hoped his injuries were behind him. We have one average starting Olineman and nothing else. We have the two best pas rushers in our division. 

It's infuriating. 

The OL didn't get worse.  They improved it by bringing in Wylie.  He is better than Lucas, and probably better than Leno too.  Lucas is just a big emergency swing tackle.  He can be a roadblock in pass pro who can give you like six solid starts a year, but the guy can't run at all.  And we didn't lose him.  He's still here, pushed down to his proper place on the depth chart by a superior player.

Not only that, but Wylie moved Cosmi to his best position too.  The right side of our line is now two good players again.

Losing Roullier isn't a factor in making the line worse than it was last year.  The guy didn't play last year and having a healthy body at center alone is an improvement from last year.  Gates is alright.  Better player than Norwell at this point in their careers.  And if he goes down, we actually have a young center with some promise in house to turn too.  That is definitely an improvement over our center situation from last year.

Wes is the only guy we lost who was still capable of playing for an NFL team. That is not gonna kill us.

Having questions about young players moving into starting roles on your line is normal, and is a normal part of the development process for every OL in the league.  OL development and maintenance is all about having those day two and three pick pipeline players eventually level up and take over starting jobs.  The Eagles didn't have questions about Mailata or Seumalo when they first started?  They don't currently have questions about Jurgens?  It's time for Charles and Cosmi to play.  And if either fails or gets hurt, then it'll be time for Paul to play.  The turnover and uncertainty in the group is just team building reality for NFL OLs now.

Not to mention the whole offense is going to play better this year because we replaced one of our weakest coaches on the team with a star who is going to be a HC somewhere in a year or two.  A guy who by all accounts is revitalized and doing some of his best work, and is essentially rebuilding the approach of all of our players on that side of the ball, making them better.

Also worth noting that this is the best our QB,  RB, and WR situation has been in years.  A consensus starter heading into the season for the first time since Kirk walked.  A high quality back up.  Two starting caliber running backs plus a quality rookie at third string.  Three legitimately good receivers.  The offense has come a long way from 2019 and 2020, when we tried to run Dwayne Haskins or a physically wrecked Alex Smith out there with Terry McLaurin and nothing else, and didn't even have passable NFL coaching for that side of the ball except for the handful of games O'Connell called as the interim OC.

Of all seasons, this is the one people are choosing to jump ship on Rivera's work?  When he's finally fixed a bunch of the problems he'd had?  This is easily the best roster and coaching staff of his entire tenure thus far.

• Like 5
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

The OL didn't get worse.  They improved it by bringing in Wylie.  He is better than Lucas, and probably better than Leno too.  Lucas is just a big emergency swing tackle.  He can be a roadblock in pass pro who can give you like six solid starts a year, but the guy can't run at all.  And we didn't lose him.  He's still here, pushed down to his proper place on the depth chart by a superior player.

I think the bad O line from last season got marginally better.  While the D lines in the division improved even more.   And the schedule at least in theory looks tougher this year than last.

Not only that, but Wylie moved Cosmi to his best position too.  The right side of our line is now two good players again.

I am not as high on Wylie as you are.  Not as down on him as @Koolblue13.  So I think I am medium on him.  My vibe is he's just a guy but not horrible.  So so.  Logan Paulsen who watched him in practice -- and is high about just about everything about this team with an exception or two -- Wylie being one of those exceptions.  He has not been making me feel warm and fuzzy about what he's seen from Wylie in practice.  but will see. 

Losing Roullier isn't a factor in making the line worse than it was last year.  The guy didn't play last year and having a healthy body at center alone is an improvement from last year.  Gates is alright.  Better player than Norwell at this point in their careers.  And if he goes down, we actually have a young center with some promise in house to turn too.  That is definitely an improvement over our center situation from last year.

Agree.  Center is likely better because of the depth.  It's their only accomplishment in my book as to the O line this off season.

Having questions about young players moving into starting roles on your line is normal, and is a normal part of the development process for every OL in the league.  OL development and maintenance is all about having those day two and three pick pipeline players eventually level up and take over starting jobs.  The Eagles didn't have questions about Mailata or Seumalo when they first started?  

Maliata is 6 "8, 366 pounds, 35 1/2 inch arms.  I probably mentioned Daniels as much if not more than anyone on that draft thread, so he was on my radar, he was inconsistent but smooth, fluid player.  But the dude is under 300 pounds and has 33 inch arms.  I don't see him as a slam dunk natural tackle like they are slotting him for.  But will see.

I know you aren't too high on him but I do think Stromberg though is slam dunk the center of the future.  So good move on their end on that front.

Also worth noting that this is the best our QB,  RB, and WR situation has been in years.  A consensus starter heading into the season for the first time since Kirk walked. 

I am higher than most on Howell but I think that's a wildcard, still.  We've had consensus starters post Kirk.  This isn't the first time.  Agree as to WR and RB.

Of all seasons, this is the one people are choosing to jump ship on Rivera's work?  When he's finally fixed a bunch of the problems he'd had?  This is easily the best roster and coaching staff of his entire tenure thus far.

If I was optimistic about the O line, I'd agree with you.  We've talked about this in the draft thread -- a crap O line isn't a unit that you can easily overcome.

Ron inherited an above average O line.  Now IMO and plenty of others its a crap O line.  That's his doing.  You were one of the harsher ones at Ron for losing some of those O lineman.  I wasn't as harsh because there was context in my mind to those loses.  But where we apparently differ is I don't think he's offset those loses well.

But will see.  Maybe the O line ends up fine.  If it does than Ron deserves to return.  If it ends up as crappy as its critics expect and it derails a playoff quest -- he deserves to be fired -- 10 out 10, slam dunk IMO. 

If they end up 8-9 again, what's the sell to bring back Ron, the 5th time is the charm?  The other issue is he does these 8-9 runs in a very vanilla way.  I don't think its a coincidence they were dead last in attendance last year and Dallas outdrew them in local ratings.   It's hard to do a fan sexy version of 8-9 granted.  But if there is way to do it, Ron's definitiely not that guy.

Ron has to win.   IMO's his natural brand is as nonsexy as it gets where casual fans aren't going to come for another 8-9 run.  He will have the fans attention early on this season because of Dan leaving.  So he has a chance.  But if the season goes same old same old, I think they lose that fan momentum.  Ron praising Dan as he leaves to me is the kicker as to how he has no clue IMO as to why this franchise has lost so many fans.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Why don't we just let the season play out, at least a little bit, before incessantly calling the Oline a major problem? idk just a thought.

Hey while we’re at it, why don’t we wait until the games are over before we start posting in the gameday threads and making predictions?? lol

It’s the nature of fanhood and, frankly, our obsession to try to figure out what’s gonna happen before it does. Simply boiling it down to “hey let’s just wait until we see what happens before saying whether we think they’re going to be good or bad” kinda defeats the entire point of a sports team message board, right? 

We have more information and knowledge at our fingertips than ever before, as fans. Wouldn’t really be true to our nature to ignore it. It’s not like we’re flying blind and ignorant here—anything can happen (the beauty of sports) but there’s a lot of educated guessing and well-reasoned thinking happening when people worry about the OL. It’s not just people being chicken littles. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Conn said:

Hey while we’re at it, why don’t we wait until the games are over before we start posting in the gameday threads and making predictions?? lol

It’s the nature of fanhood and, frankly, our obsession to try to figure out what’s gonna happen before it does. Simply boiling it down to “hey let’s just wait until we see what happens before saying whether we think they’re going to be good or bad” kinda defeats the entire point of a sports team message board, right? 

We have more information and knowledge at our fingertips than ever before, as fans. Wouldn’t really be true to our nature to ignore it. It’s not like we’re flying blind and ignorant here—anything can happen (the beauty of sports) but there’s a lot of educated guessing and well-reasoned thinking happening when people worry about the OL. It’s not just people being chicken littles. 

Uh yeah thanks bud!  No need for your explanation really.  Just a bit of frustration with the incessant obsession with how bad its gonna be I tell ya....it's just annoying already.   But hey, to each their own.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Uh yeah thanks bud!  No need for your explanation really.  Just a bit of frustration with the incessant obsession with how bad its gonna be I tell ya....it's just annoying already.   But hey, to each their own.

It is frustrating but it's just that time of the year when we have  no new information so everyone just regurgitates their opinions based off last seasons results.

The truth Is nobody really knows what's going to happen 3 years ago we all thought the offensive line was gonna suck based off the previous years results and it didn't the next year everybody thought the line was gonna be decent based off the previous years results and it wasn't. 

To me the offense including the line is a huge question mark and I expect the defense to be very good.

Oh and training camp can't come soon enough! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Conn said:

Yep and it goes both ways.

I've among others (including you) have added plenty of stuff to the Howell hype train here.  Maybe we should cool our jets until he plays a game this season?  But we aren't doing so because we have a leaning.

We are hyped about somethings and not hyped about other things and express it.  Simple as that.

I think it feels a bit more negative because last year most of us rallied around the national media's bashing of Wentz and how wrong and over the top they were about it.  That clearly didn't age well.  But at the time it provided a very united-optimistic front.

Personally, I am positive about a lot.   I think this defense is slam dunk top 5.    I think Dotson is an emerging star.  I love the RB room, including Rodriguez.  I have high hopes for Cole Turner.  I think Howell has a shot.  So on most fronts i am positive.

But it feels like we are painting something like the Mona Lisa and stopped at the last quadrant of the painting and finished it up with a paint by numbers job at the O line to basically screw up the whole painting which otherwise could have been masterful. 

And it comes off so weird for me, that its tough for me to get over it. :ols:  And its tough for me to ignore everytime I summarize this roster so I can't help but reference it.  And that goes double considering some of Ron's rhetoric.  I hope I am wrong. 

But if I am right, it feels like the weirdest close to a coaching era we've had here in the Dan era.  Part of it for me is I've invested so much time pushing and defending Ron -- that if it ends the way I expect, I felt it didn't have to end that way but he made his own bed to cap off his coaching career to be defined in the exact way his critics labeled him -- great man, mediocre coach.   

He could have rewritten his story some IMO.  But if it goes as I think it will he ends up a Jeff Fisher type punchline for mediocrity.  3 winning seasons in 13 seasons.  I used to think the mediocrity label was unfair for Ron.  But if this season ends on that note, I will change my mind on that front, the label will be apt because in my mind he walked into in a season where he could have been vindicated.  I recently noticed there is a guy from Hogs Haven who is exactly like me on the issue. He was a stalwart Ron defender but couldn't do it after this off season anymore --Ron has come off to him too much this off season like his rep "mediocre". 

It wouldn't be hard to get me back either.  Sign a veteran or two on the O line.   :ols:

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I love when people post on a message board to stop talking about the topic.  :ols:

Any football related material should be moved to the tailgate to stop cluttering up the football threads.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and it goes both ways.

I've among others (including you) have added plenty of stuff to the Howell hype train here.  Maybe we should cool our jets until he plays a game this season?  But we aren't doing so because we have a leaning.

We are hyped about somethings and not hyped about other things and express it.  Simple as that.

I think it feels a bit more negative because last year most of us rallied around the national media's bashing of Wentz and how wrong and over the top they were about it.  That clearly didn't age well.  But at the time it provided a very united-optimistic front.

Personally, I am positive about a lot.   I think this defense is slam dunk top 5.    I think Dotson is an emerging star.  I love the RB room, including Rodriguez.  I have high hopes for Cole Turner.  I think Howell has a shot.  So on most fronts i am positive.

But it feels like we are painting something like the Mona Lisa and stopped at the last quadrant of the painting and finished it up with a paint by numbers job at the O line to basically screw up the whole painting which otherwise could have been masterful. 

And it comes off so weird for me, that its tough for me to get over it. :ols:  And its tough for me to ignore everytime I summarize this roster so I can't help but reference it.  And that goes double considering some of Ron's rhetoric.  I hope I am wrong. 

But if I am right, it feels like the weirdest close to a coaching era we've had here in the Dan era.  Part of it for me is I've invested so much time pushing and defending Ron -- that if it ends the way I expect, I felt it didn't have to end that way but he made his own bed to cap off his coaching career to be defined in the exact way his critics labeled him -- great man, mediocre coach.   

He could have rewritten his story some IMO.  But if it goes as I think it will he ends up a Jeff Fisher type punchline for mediocrity.  3 winning seasons in 13 seasons.  I used to think the mediocrity label was unfair for Ron.  But if this season ends on that note, I will change my mind on that front, the label will be apt because in my mind he walked into in a season where he could have been vindicated.  I recently noticed there is a guy from Hogs Haven who is exactly like me on the issue. He was a stalwart Ron defender but couldn't do it after this off season anymore --Ron has come off to him too much this off season like his rep "mediocre". 

It wouldn't be hard to get me back either.  Sign a veteran or two on the O line.   :ols:

Going to be real interesting/ telling if the purse strings open up after the 20th, who knows how much the front offices hands have been tied. Then again, pickings kinda slim and Harris etc will need time to get their feet wet.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Going to be real interesting/ telling if the purse strings open up after the 20th, who knows how much the front offices hands have been tied. Then again, pickings kinda slim and Harris etc will need time to get their feet wet.

That's my hope.

Like I said before Ron is used to being hamstrung and maybe it seeps into his thinking like an automatic pilot. 

If I am Harris, I'd sit down with Rivera and say look.

A.  This isn't a lets set up this season for the next season type of year for you.  Look at this season as a must win season.

And with that frame work...

B.  Do you think your roster is set for that?  And if not what do you need?

If Ron says he can use such and such then go get it.  If he says let it ride, then Ron made his bed one way or another.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's my hope.

Like I said before Ron is used to being hamstrung and maybe it seeps into his thinking like an automatic pilot. 

If I am Harris, I'd sit down with Rivera and say look.

A.  This isn't a lets set up this season for the next season type of year for you.  Look at this season as a must win season.

And with that frame work...

B.  Do you think your roster is set for that?  And if not what do you need?

If Ron says he can use such and such then go get it.  If he says let it ride, then Ron made his bed one way or another.

That first presser will be epic, both in content and post presser evaluation and handringing. Lol 

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 4

Lewan, Cunningham and Ben Jones would boost this team big time. Adding two guys from the same Oline would help, too and then our depth would be really good.

Especially for a team that wants to run the ball a lot.

Myles Jack might be a better fit for us, than he was with the Steelers.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

That first presser will be epic, both in content and post presser evaluation and hanringing. Lol 

I am very high on Josh Harris.

My gumpiness about the season is exclusively driven by what an opportunity to gain the fan base back.  The enthusiasm will likely be tremendous.  If we capitalized on that momentum, wow.

And the response to this is we got Ron at the end trying to convince people that Dan isn't bad and he changed so people should get off Dan's back.  And also IMO setting up another incomplete roster to likely end up with another so so season.   

If I were Harris, I'd be seething that this is the dude that has a perfect opportunity to capitalize on a unique chance but is treating it like its any other season and even openly flouting multiple times the fan's distaste for Dan.  This mind you the same dude (Ron) who unlike our other coaches over the years -- laments and laments about wanting to get the fan base back. 

Ron to me is a walking talking cliche of sort of the out of touch old coach who comes off lost about the current times and his customer base.  At a minimum Ron oddly clearly has no clue about how the fan unrest is tied to what they feel about Dan.  And that for me is the kicker as to why he lost me. 

But as for Harris, he's all about shooting for the fences and being with the times.  And I like that.  I don't expect him or any owner to get it right all the time.  Maybe you can be too into anayltics or whatever.  But I appreciate that mindset for a change.

As for Harris and Ron, I'd bet they get along great just like Ron got along great with Tepper right through the firing.  Ron is a good dude.  So I'd bet the relationship starts off well.  But if the season goes same old, same old -- I'd be shocked if Ron isn't canned.  

• Like 2

It's kinda weird in that I can see Ron hedging his bets on ownership change and not wanting to piss off Dan 3 months ago, but that boat has truly sailed. I thought we would see a little more from Ron heading into the change at this point.

27 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

It's kinda weird in that I can see Ron hedging his bets on ownership change and not wanting to piss off Dan 3 months ago, but that boat has truly sailed. I thought we would see a little more from Ron heading into the change at this point.

I let his comments go the first time about Dan this year.  Forgot in what interview it was but I didn't mention it because lol I knew we had some Ron haters who would run with it. 😎

But when I saw him double down on Dan that 2nd time with Standig -- this time it was post the sale, where Dan already is a goner, that was the kicker for me.  It would be one thing if it were boiler plate stuff -- but the idea that Dan changed yet people unfairly give him a hard time as if he hasn't changed and that's unfair?  Wow. 

Tell that to the women where Dan sent PI's to intimidate them at their houses.  And Dan took no responsibility for anything aside from token hollow statements which basically said its not me but i'll  take the blame anyway unfairly.   Dan had to tell the world via leaks that the NFL really didn't punish him.  He likely leaked those emails to make Bruce look bad then lied to the NFL about it.   

He supposedly told plenty of people he had dirt on other owners that he'd use to protect his status.  Used the team as a personal piggy bank.   He displayed every bit the douche and self destructive behavior on his way out that he did during his whole tenure.  How many people defended him to the end?  From what i can tell, just one dude, Ron. 

I'd even let that go if Ron didn't whine for years about getting the fans back.   So he's indicated its on his plate.  It's something he wants to change.  Yet, this is his plan?  My thought is dude if you want the fans back -- its one thing to have one boring off season after the other, and boring seasons and wonder why the fans aren't rushing back, and attendance keeps sinking -- it takes being clueless on the subject up 10 notches further when you do all of that and also try to sell to the world that the same dude who basically killed the brand you are so desperate to get back, isn't a problem.

Having said that I do think Ron means well.  I just think he's beyond obtuse as to what the problem is with the fan base as much as he identifies that as a problem.  And if i am Josh Harris, Rivera would be on major thin ice,  It's win or bust for me with Ron because he clearly doesn't do the extra things to win over enough fans when they don't win.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lewan, Cunningham and Ben Jones would boost this team big time. Adding two guys from the same Oline would help, too and then our depth would be really good.

Especially for a team that wants to run the ball a lot.

Myles Jack might be a better fit for us, than he was with the Steelers.

Bring me up to speed on Lewan. Isn't he the guy that is suing James Andrews for screwing up his knee repair?  Has he been any good since then? If he can pass a physical I'd love to add him, but I thought he was still a huge question mark

Since the changes can’t really happen until January, all Harris needs to tell everyone that this season will be an evaluation year.  Obviously, how the team does this year will play in a role on their futures beyond 23.

He should ask if there’s anything we can do to improve for this year- ie a late signing.

At some point, he needs to have a talk with Ron, that he intends to have the Gm and coach positions separate in 24. Ron 

needs to know at some point this, since Ron has those positions now.  If Ron has no problem, then it won’t be a factor; if he returns in 24. Ron could say no and that alone could see Ron gone, regardless of how he does in 23.

24 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Bring me up to speed on Lewan. Isn't he the guy that is suing James Andrews for screwing up his knee repair?  Has he been any good since then? If he can pass a physical I'd love to add him, but I thought he was still a huge question mark

Not sure, but he wants to play again and met with the Dolphins earlier in the offseason. 

• Like 1