Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

3 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Don't jinx it. You know damn well he'll suck the moment you do that. 

Yeah I don't do the jersey thing so nothing to worry about. 

But I really do like this pick more now that I see what kind of man he is.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MrJL said:

third he couldn't show.  That's different than didn't.  The team decided not to invest in him, whatever their reasons why

He got injured at the worst possible time cause he got injured at a time when people could look at him and say he's been here three years when he's played less than two full years.  He's had one proper training camp, his second cause his rookie camp was done in by COVID

He couldn't participate, he could show. Like literally just show up.  Once.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

So far so good on EB...time will tell when the bullets start flying and plays have to be called in on time and strung together coherently. Also if his demeanor is one that wont wear on guys during the season and under game time duress? Speaking of "calling in plays on time" Paulson mentioned EB seemed fully aware of when during OTA's that guys were not getting back to the huddle quickly enough so that he could get the paly in to the QB in time (something to that effect).

Finlay just mentioned he's heard he's already there from 5 am to 10 pm these days, so he's putting in the time 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

So far so good on EB...time will tell when the bullets start flying and plays have to be called in on time and strung together coherently. Also if his demeanor is one that wont wear on guys during the season and under game time duress? Speaking of "calling in plays on time" Paulson mentioned EB seemed fully aware of when during OTA's that guys were not getting back to the huddle quickly enough so that he could get the paly in to the QB in time (something to that effect).

FWIW -

Don't remember which sports radio, may have been Paulsen on with Finlay today but said part of the first install that they've been working on is how quickly they can get in and out of the huddle but mostly "concept" and verbiage with this install.  That EB literally walks through the plays with the defense in earshot before running them live.  Not sure we can derive much from these OTA's if the D knows exactly the play is being run.  Maybe it's just a big fat test for Howell/WR's/offense that they have to be precise for a play to work.

We'll see.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW -

Don't remember which sports radio, may have been Paulsen on with Finlay today but said part of the first install that they've been working on is how quickly they can get in and out of the huddle but mostly "concept" and verbiage with this install.  That EB literally walks through the plays with the defense in earshot before running them live.  Not sure we can derive much from these OTA's if the D knows exactly the play is being run.  Maybe it's just a big fat test for Howell/WR's/offense that they have to be precise for a play to work.

We'll see.

Love it. Details separate the good from the great. Howell's too new to do what Peyton did, but I always loved how quick Peyton's teams got to the line so Peyton could start messing with things pre-snap.

Also helps with 2 minute drills and comebacks. Some QB's take ages to get everything set up. If EB can figure out how to build urgency into the team when the situation calls for it, that's amazing.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From the practices i watched, I'd guess 100% on Turner versus Ron as to what actually happens in practice.  Ron has referenced being more hands off this year than the past.  But the camp i watched 2 years ago, Del Rio and Turner did their own things and Ron would walk by.   As far as scheduling, etc, I'd gather Ron was hands on with that.  I've heard in multiple podcasts that Scott Turner was just in general a low energy dude.

C.  Cody Barton looks to be struggiling some. 

D.  Dyami looks better. WR depth might not be a concern

E.  Bram has some concerns about the O line and would consider adding a FA if possible, thinks OT is likely slam dunk what they do next draft.

This team is going to better just by the subtraction of Turner. Then add EB's energy to it and there should be significant improvements without the player additions! 

I hate seeing anything negative about Barton, this is the first for that. We need him to be on his A game. I did read someplace that Hudson has been impressing which is great. They should still add a good tackler with some mobility to their mix.

So, we already have the first round planned out for next year, OT. Shall we figure the rest of the draft based on needs now? Dang.... I hope if look to better fill needs in FA next year to give more leeway to draft the best players

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

This team is going to better just by the subtraction of Turner. Then add EB's energy to it and there should be significant improvements without the player additions! 

I hate seeing anything negative about Barton, this is the first for that. We need him to be on his A game. I did read someplace that Hudson has been impressing which is great. They should still add a good tackler with some mobility to their mix.

So, we already have the first round planned out for next year, OT. Shall we figure the rest of the draft based on needs now? Dang.... I hope if look to better fill needs in FA next year to give more leeway to draft the best players

I don’t think an older vet like Kwon Alexander or Zach Cunningham would play teams but Rashaan Evans might.

lol I don’t think that was a report saying “if this regime is somehow still around next year they are already thinking they will target OL”, it was an observation that this group did such a poor job shoring up the OL this offseason that you can almost guarantee it will continue to be a need next offseason. 

It’s funny how different people can read things differently. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Conn said:

lol I don’t think that was a report saying “if this regime is somehow still around next year they are already thinking they will target OL”, it was an observation that this group did such a poor job shoring up the OL this offseason that you can almost guarantee it will continue to be a need next offseason. 

I’m not entirely sure how badly they’ve done shoring  up the group yet because they haven’t played a snap in pads.  

But they basically had 0 players in 5 starters from last year who really should have been back in their original spot.  And somewhat crummy depth with the exception of Lucas who’s a very good backup swing tackle.  

They moved Cosmi to RG, signed new starting Center and RT.  They left LT alone, which was probably the most solid spot on the line anyway.  They drafted a backup center.  

When you have 5 starters to replace and probably 3 backups, you probably can’t do all of that in one off season.  

The real problem is they only selected 2 OL in the first round of the draft since 2012: Trent and Scherff.  And that’s a while ago now.  They hit on Rouiller as a late rounder.  But that was a while ago.  

We’ll see how Cosmi turns out but the real problem is multiple regimes neglected spending resources on the OL so now it needs an entire top to bottom rebuild which takes more than one off season.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We’ll see how Cosmi turns out but the real problem is multiple regimes neglected spending resources on the OL so now it needs an entire top to bottom rebuild which takes more than one off season.  

Yes and this year would have been a great time to start that build, but they decided to take two flyers on developmental players earlier than they should have, overlooking more valuable positions.

We were run heavy just as much by necessity as choice last year.

Could not create a diff kind of offense when presented with those pieces.

Horrendous QBs, no Oline, no TEs... no other option.

We will see if the deck is shuffled enough to find success in other avenues this year. Hopefully it is... I'm not confident in that tho.

• Like 1

Interesting take. I thought the seating arrangement was odd, with the prospect having to turn around to respond to Rivera. But I guess it makes sense if he’s worried that the prospect will ONLY focus on the HC if he’s seated in front of him, when he wants someone else to be conducting the majority of the interview. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, method man said:

I don’t think an older vet like Kwon Alexander or Zach Cunningham would play teams but Rashaan Evans might.

I agree. Also, I don't think Kwon is right for the needs because he is not a great tackler and Cunningham is not quick enough for our needs

8 hours ago, Conn said:

An observation that's been made by many which comes from the way this regime has handled the off-seasons....and the way they would handle the next one. I was spewing my frustration to their process

It's so heartwarming to know that our coach, who didn't know we were eliminated from the playoffs and called the wrong number a few times on draft day is letting his coaches make so many decisions. 

Reminds me of when the Giants canned whats his name from Jax and he kept showing up every day.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

If Rivy is just getting outta everybodys way, not running the D, not micromanaging to O, not doing anything on gameday...

Dude is already the GM, cuz he aint really the HC.

It reads that way although it is still early.

Isn't this how me has run the team the last couple years with JDR and Turner? Just better now that we pooped out Turner

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

It reads that way although it is still early.

Isn't this how me has run the team the last couple years with JDR and Turner? Just better now that we pooped out Turner

Yeah, he's always been a delegator, which I like about him. This year seems different. I'm sticking with the narrative that something happened when the team sold and Ron checked out.

During offseason workouts, as the Washington Commanders have installed their offense, a few things have become clear. Assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy demands pace and precision, the staff is all-in on quarterback Sam Howell, and the playbook seems full of strategies designed to unlock the team’s formidable group of skill players.

In workouts, Bieniemy has drilled his players on a bevy of motions, formations and personnel groupings, including “Zebra” (three wide receivers, one tight end, one running back) and “Tiger” (two receivers, two tight ends, one back). The offense has cycled through motions such as jet, glide and return, which Bieniemy used to help key Kansas City’s Super Bowl victory, and just about every skill player has rolled through a dizzying number of assignments. During individual drills Wednesday, a group including Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel and Antonio Gibson even played wildcat quarterback and ran the zone read.

In trying these tactics, does Bieniemy have specific game situations in mind, or is he just experimenting?

“When you have good players, you want to give guys an opportunity to show what they can do,” he said. “Some guys have different gifts than others, and so you want to utilize their strengths in different scenarios. [We’re] just making sure that [we’re] turning every stone over, so when it’s time to go play … we’re going to be ready for any given situation.”

...Several position coaches insisted Thursday that they are more focused on helping their players master the complex West Coast scheme than on determining their specific roles. Putting players through a bevy of roles early has a dual benefit: It forces them to learn the scheme from multiple positions, and it gives Bieniemy a few reps to evaluate each player’s full skill set.

In the fall, when Bieniemy is preparing a game plan to attack a specific defense, he’ll wrestle with the same problem former offensive coordinator Scott Turner never seemed able to solve consistently: What is the optimal way to spread the ball around?

...Kansas City was much more fluid. Nearly every main receiving threat had a wide-to-slot snap ratio of less than 60-40, and star tight end Travis Kelce embodied versatility with 37 percent in-line, 36.3 percent in the slot and 25.4 percent out wide. The only regular pass-catcher who lined up at one spot more than 70 percent of the time was backup wideout Justin Watson.

Though it seems probable that Bieniemy changed Kelce’s alignments at such a high rate because of his singular talent, rather than a philosophical belief about the role of the tight end, it prompts an intriguing question: Will Bieniemy continue shifting presnap positions at such a high rate? Will any of his players be as drastically alignment agnostic as Kelce? If so, instead of a tight end, could it be Gibson or Samuel shifting among backfield, slot and out wide? Could it be a different tactic depending on the opponent?

One hint: During a recent drill, Dotson lined up in the backfield, where he took zero snaps last season.

Regardless, it’s clear the players are enjoying the fresh approach.

“Our offense has a lot of options,” McLaurin said, smiling.

“It’s amazing [learning the scheme], I ain’t going to lie,” Samuel said. “I don’t want to give too much. But we do a lot.”

“He has a lot up his sleeve,” Gibson said of Bieniemy. “We are getting moved around a little bit different. But it’s not just us [running backs]; it’s everybody. So I’m excited about that.”

During a recent news conference, when asked about his skill players, Bieniemy couldn’t help but grin, too.

“I’m just intrigued by all the different pieces that we have,” he said. “I’m not going to give away anything else, but it’s been fun so far.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/02/eric-bieniemy-commanders-offense-skill/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_medium=social

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6