Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

E.  They hear Bowers likely drops out of the top 10

Lying season? The Chargers should take him. I think Bowers is a transcendent talent. I am generally against moving up in this draft, and I don't think we would for a TE, but if he drops that far, I'd go get him. Imagine pairing your new franchise QB with a TE safety blanket that has the talent to be a top 5 TE the day he steps on the field. Give Drake Maye with Terry, Jahan, Brob, and Bowers? Those are great weapons for a developing QB. Reinforce the OL in FA. 

Pick 36, 40 and 67 are worth 1295 points on the trade value chart. Pick 10 is 1300 and pick 11, 1250. It would be like a wet dream. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Also, back to reality. A lot of guys are posting great numbers. We are going to have a shot at some really good players at 36 and 40. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Bowers

He is the only player I would trade up for. And like you I have been saying lately that if he falls to the middle of the first due to positional value I would go up and get him.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Payton Wilson didn't seem like a hard evaluation but i got less respect for Zierlien after watching his interview with Hoffman

His Jonah Elliss evaluation is bad too.  That one, his Payton Wilson, Drake Maye, Johnny Wilson, and RB evaluations as a whole stand out to me as his worst ones by far this year.  I do think there was some mailing it in with these guys, but I also think he did really well on most of the defensive and OL evaluations.  I don't think scouting 300+ players well by February is tenable.  It's not something that even an entire NFL scouting staff tries to do, and it's going to lead to some wild misses just off of not seeing enough games from some of these guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mean, he played on January 8th. It's not like his last game was around Thanksgiving. He's not dropping 30 pounds in 7 weeks unless his playing weight was way less than the 275 he was listed at. Trice is like the WR that everyone thought was this contested catch 6'4 guy, then he winds up being 6'2 even.

There were rumors he was falling to the 3rd round pre-combine. At this rate it could be Day 3.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Lying season? The Chargers should take him. I think Bowers is a transcendent talent. I am generally against moving up in this draft, and I don't think we would for a TE, but if he drops that far, I'd go get him. Imagine pairing your new franchise QB with a TE safety blanket that has the talent to be a top 5 TE the day he steps on the field. Give Drake Maye with Terry, Jahan, Brob, and Bowers? Those are great weapons for a developing QB. Reinforce the OL in FA. 

Pick 36, 40 and 67 are worth 1295 points on the trade value chart. Pick 10 is 1300 and pick 11, 1250. It would be like a wet dream. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Also, back to reality. A lot of guys are posting great numbers. We are going to have a shot at some really good players at 36 and 40. 

Logan Paulson brought up an interesting point about Bowers. He was really interested in how much he weighed and how he looked as a blocker. The thought process was he liked him as a pass catcher but was concerned he couldn’t necessarily hold up in line in the NFL and then his value would be decreased slightly because he wouldn’t truly be multi dimensional like Kittle. Still liked him a lot as a first rounder but positional value and the fact that he may not be really large enough could drop him a bit.

Edit- he’s 6’3, 243. If he doesn’t run or jump at the combine, assume he put on weight for weigh in and is actually under 240. 

I bet he slides towards middle to late first.

Edited by seantaylor=god
Added measure
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He is the only player I would trade up for. And like you I have been saying lately that if he falls to the middle of the first due to positional value I would go up and get him.

Hard pass on trading up 20 spots to mid-1st for a TE. The trade cost to do that is so large, you'll have to really make the most compelling argument you can that Bowers is worth it.

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

We've gone from guys not throwing/running to guys not doing medicals to guys not even talking?? 😂

Harrison's dad is an 'interesting' character. I wonder how much of this is his Dad pushing buttons.

The combine is a big event for the NFL, I wonder if they will start trying to mandate certain parts like the media, medicals and weigh ins.

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

His Jonah Elliss evaluation is bad too.  That one, his Payton Wilson, Drake Maye, Johnny Wilson, and RB evaluations as a whole stand out to me as his worst ones by far this year.  I do think there was some mailing it in with these guys, but I also think he did really well on most of the defensive and OL evaluations.  I don't think scouting 300+ players well by February is tenable.  It's not something that even an entire NFL scouting staff tries to do, and it's going to lead to some wild misses just off of not seeing enough games from some of these guys.

Agree about taking on too much.    Speaking for myself I'd rather watch 60 players a lot than a 100 a little to get a feel for who I like. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Hard pass on trading up 20 spots to mid-1st for a TE. The trade cost to do that is so large, you'll have to really make the most compelling argument you can that Bowers is worth it.

I'm as anti 1st round TE as anyone but I look at the force multipler possibility in pairing your franchise QB with a top notch TE target from day one. Imagine having our version of Brady/Gronk or Mahomes/Kelce for the next decade.

TE is a big time need for us and our new analytics guy Eugene Shen emphasized the importance of TE and how much value they represent big time.

• Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Speaking of the connection between Maye and Wilson, Zierlein's comment also reveals he did not watch the full UNC NC State game. I'm going to post something about that game, because it's getting lumped in by a lot of bad analysts as a bad Drake Maye game and it's not. It's actually a pretty amazing game where you have an ascendent state team and a floundering tar heels team, but Wilson and Maye are clearly the two best players on the field. Anyone saying that was a bad game by Maye is going only by the stats and not watching it. Wilson was a man among boys playing in his last home game and elevated the whole state defense to the point they were playing out of their minds. He was everywhere, including sandwiching Maye on a scramble and causing a fumble early in the game. Meanwhile the entire UNC team crumbled and did not want to be there, except for Maye. Both his interceptions bounced off his own players' hands, including one that caromed to Wilson. Tez Walker not only dropped several other passes but also managed to catch a beautiful long pass from Maye, fumble at the goal line and then recover it in the end zone, which was fine for his team but took a TD away from his QB. McCollum and Jones were hurt. Nesbit drops several catches. The center repeatedly hikes the ball too early, and the entire team is entirely unable to keep their footing the whole game. Maye is pressured on every single drop back. And the UNC defense fails to stop a pedestrian state offense at all. I think State scored on its first seven possessions. It's a great game to watch, a hell of a performance by Wilson and actually a pretty damn heroic solo effort by Maye.

Just watched it because I was curious and I agree, I would not say Maye was the reason for the NC State loss. Maye has had at least one loss where (imo) it mostly attributable to him. That was Virginia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm as anti 1st round TE as anyone but I look at the force multipler possibility in pairing your franchise QB with a top notch TE target from day one. Imagine having our version of Brady/Gronk or Mahomes/Kelce for the next decade.

TE is a big time need for us and our new analytics guy Eugene Shen emphasized the importance of TE and how much value they represent big time.

TE is rarely a Day 1 force multiplier. That position takes awhile to transition to the Pro's, with even the HoF ones only turning it on in Year 2. Add in that unlike a lot of premium TE's that have come in to be a legit weapon for a QB, Bowers lacks their size. Gronk was a giant. Jimmy Graham and Jason Witten were 2-3 inches taller and 25-30 pounds heavier. Kelce and Tony Gonzalez are 1-2 inches and 10-15 pounds heavier. Antonio Gates is nearer his height, but was also built like a brickhouse and 20 pounds heavier.

Really curious what Bowers measures in at. If the rumors of him being 6'3 and a half and 235 are true, then he's not comparable physically to all the other TE's. You start looking at the hyper athletic Vernon Davis for comps, but he ran in the 4.3's and only turned it on in Year 4.

Best "in-line" TE prospect to come out in awhile was TJ Hockenson. But he was Kelce/Tony G size.

Add in the bust-rate for 1st round TE's where even some of the can't miss guys don't pan out and why would we throw multiple 1st rounders (what it'd take to trade up from #36 to mid-1st) at that bust rate?

I like Bowers. But I am strongly against trading up for him.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I mean, he played on January 8th. It's not like his last game was around Thanksgiving. He's not dropping 30 pounds in 7 weeks unless his playing weight was way less than the 275 he was listed at. Trice is like the WR that everyone thought was this contested catch 6'4 guy, then he winds up being 6'2 even.

There were rumors he was falling to the 3rd round pre-combine. At this rate it could be Day 3.

If he falls to our 2nd second rounder I would run the card up. The only number that matters to me about Trice is he led the NCAA in QB pressures this year. You dont lead that stat unless you know how to pass rush.

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

TE is rarely a Day 1 force multiplier. That position takes awhile to transition to the Pro's, with even the HoF ones only turning it on in Year 2. Add in that unlike a lot of premium TE's that have come in to be a legit weapon for a QB, Bowers lacks their size. Gronk was a giant. Jimmy Graham and Jason Witten were 2-3 inches taller and 25-30 pounds heavier. Kelce and Tony Gonzalez are 1-2 inches and 10-15 pounds heavier. Antonio Gates is nearer his height, but was also built like a brickhouse and 20 pounds heavier.

Really curious what Bowers measures in at. If the rumors of him being 6'3 and a half and 235 are true, then he's not comparable physically to all the other TE's. You start looking at the hyper athletic Vernon Davis for comps, but he ran in the 4.3's and only turned it on in Year 4.

Best "in-line" TE prospect to come out in awhile was TJ Hockenson. But he was Kelce/Tony G size.

Add in the bust-rate for 1st round TE's where even some of the can't miss guys don't pan out and why would we throw multiple 1st rounders (what it'd take to trade up from #36 to mid-1st) at that bust rate?

I like Bowers. But I am strongly against trading up for him.

Trading up to around 15 should only cost 36 and 40. I'm with you if it costs anything more I'd say no.

Its moot because ultimately I don't see Bowers falling past the Jets at 10.

46 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Bowers value to a rookie QB would be immense.