Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Barton is one of the best IOL in the draft and he back our C for the next decade, we'd be so lucky. I'll be shocked if he makes it out of the first.

Somebody is gonna make it out of the first. I think the second tier OL guys have a better shot to make it there than the WR's.

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Somebody is gonna make it out of the first. I think the second tier OL guys have a better shot to make it there than the WR's.

I think either Barton or JPJ go in the first, maybe even both, but agree that the WRs and some defensive guys are going to push OTs down. 

• Like 1

Reviting Keon Coleman. He was an original WR man crush for me that I've soured on but, I don't know, part of me still thinks he can be a star in the right system. And he's only 20!(turns 21 in May) His shaky combine showing means he might fall as far as the 3rd round where he'd be a heck of a steal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Reviting Keon Coleman. He was an original WR man crush for me that I've soured on but, I don't know, part of me still thinks he can be a star in the right system. And he's only 20!(turns 21 in May) His shaky combine showing means he might fall as far as the 3rd round where he'd be a heck of a steal. 

It was pretty interesting when they showed him in the gauntlet drill- he was running straight on the line, plucking the ball with great hands and ran the drill significantly faster than other guys (they had his time clocked, I forget). He’s obviously not blazing fast but some guys just aren’t great at running a 40. He’s fast enough I think.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

It was pretty interesting when they showed him in the gauntlet drill- he was running straight on the line, plucking the ball with great hands and ran the drill significantly faster than other guys (they had his time clocked, I forget). He’s obviously not blazing fast but some guys just aren’t great at running a 40. He’s fast enough I think.

Yeah the talent is there. Like if he ends up on the Steelers or Packers he'll probably be a star because those franchises cultivate WRs as well as anyone. 

• Like 2

Peter Schrager thinks it's not only a very deep draft talent wise overall, but also a maybe historic level of OL talent....thinks there's over twenty instant starting high performance guys. Deepest he's ever seen and maybe the best ever. 

• Like 6

I'm such a glutton. I watch WRs Thomas and Mitchell do their thing  and I just drool at the idea of having a couple young guys like that for our QB to throw to.

• Like 2

If Morgan and Barton are gone, I am good with Paul early in the 2nd.  I know he drops into the late 2nd-early 3rd in mocks but i don't care I don't buy mocks as gospel.  Tackles tend to go early.

I don't like the BYU kid albiet he's a good athlete.  I don't have enough to watch to evaluate the Yale kid.

So I've seen enough from Paul where I think you can mold this guy into a good tackle.  Freak length.  Freak athlete.  He knows how to use his length.

Articulate, supposedly high character, moved around the world, wants to run for office one day.    Tackle sucks in FA.  I get why Leno was released, good chance he might not play again post surgery.  I don't like drafting to need. 

But I don't find Paul to be a stretch to be taken early in the 2nd especially with our 2nd pick.  Tackles tend to go early.  It's a premium position.  Heck who knows maybe it would help get his brother to play better. :ols:

He needs to improve as a run blocker and work on his balance on the move among other things.  Work in progress.  But if draftniks can hype Guyton purely on his traits, why doesn't Paul get similar love?  Guyton comes off more agile-looser hips, sinks his hips better.  Paul a bit more clunky.  But still Paul's length obviously can't be taught, you have it or you don't and he knows how to use it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

It's been mentioned on the QB thread.  I watched it.  I know you don't like Maye ;) but I can litter this thread if I wanted to with draftniks pushing Maye.

South Dakota State has several OL that will likely be drafted. McCormick I had ranked #11 as a OG. Utah's Keaton Bills could also be a nice pickup for us and a bargain.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's been mentioned on the QB thread.  I watched it.  I know you don't like Maye ;) but I can litter this thread if I wanted to with draftniks pushing Maye.

Oh, did not know this video was posted already. I'm not pushing an agenda - just thought folks would be interested is all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Oh, did not know this video was posted already. I'm not pushing an agenda - just thought folks would be interested is all. 

The tweet about it was posted on that thread.  I listened to the podcast last night.  What McShay said he heard at the combine was backed by some, and some said the absolute opposite.  The noise about what personnel guys seem to think is all over the place.  Ditto draftniks are all over the map.

But yeah most of that stuff, especially if its pro Daniels, gets posted on the QB thread.  Not saying you can't do it here.  But there is plenty on the QBs over there.  

SIP, really like your extensive positive post. I am so concerned and focused on the limiting T situation, FA group and drafting position. 

I can see his potential and value. I do have him ranked mid to late 2nd round so yes, it would be drafting for position and need on our behalf. However it feels that's where we will be unless they over pay in FA or trade up in the draft to above 36. I can see Paul but do worry him as a starter could kill however the QB is at least early in his career and he would be a concern early in the run game. He is a little stiff to go with his height 

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

SIP, really like your extensive positive post. I am so concerned and focused on the limiting T situation, FA group and drafting position. 

I can see his potential and value. I do have him ranked mid to late 2nd round so yes, it would be drafting for position and need on our behalf. However it feels that's where we will be unless they over pay in FA or trade up in the draft to above 36. I can see Paul but do worry him as a starter could kill however the QB is at least early in his career and he would be a concern early in the run game. He is a little stiff to go with his height 

He likely isn't ready right away.   But I am not sure who the plug and play left tackle we can draft in the 2nd.  Morgan would fit but my scenario is what if he's gone?  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He likely isn't ready right away.   But I am not sure who the plug and play left tackle we can draft in the 2nd.  Morgan would fit but my scenario is what if he's gone?  

Yeah I do not believe Morgan will be there and more of my raised concern. 

11 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Enjoy the draft & ES Mock fellas. Peace

Are you running off?

This is your time to shine around here!

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Enjoy the draft & ES Mock fellas. Peace

If that's about my response.  Sorry, no harm intended from me.  It's cool of course for you to post whatever you want.  But it felt a bit random because there were so many draftniks opining on the same subject for months and its all on the QB thread.  But I grant that not everyone is on the QB thread.   And once in awhile we post on the Qbs here too including me. 

But to your point about an agenda and not having one.  Heck its cool to have an agenda.  Most of us do about players we like or don't like.  In your case, every now and then you post that you don't like Maye.  But that's perfectly fine.  It's all opinion. 

Limmer's bench strength is special for a center.  He's got a 1.75 10 yard and his cone drill times were good.  He's a good athlete, and his build is actually kind of lean for an IOL.  I think he's got guard power with center agility.

He got worked by T'Vondre Sweat in the SB drills, but so did everyone else.  It was interesting to see him learning and coping with trying to block that level of power one on one, and he started getting better with time.  His pass pro can be rough, and the early losses you occasionally see in his film + his smaller frame and length might make him drop to early day three territory in a deep class.  But I think he's actually pretty good, especially at center. And I think his ability to play guard credibly too gives him more draft value than he'd otherwise have.

The thing I like most about his film is that the foot quickness from his agility drills is there, and so is the upper body strength.  He holds his blocks, and he does a nice job hitting his second level land marks.  He's got explosive little cuts almost like a ball carrier that let him change directions really fast.  He's also got good balance.

He's pretty good.  And the fact that T'Vondre was able to ragdoll him speaks to how dominant T'Vondre can be.  I see second round projections on him, and I recognize that his weight is a concern and his jumps were terrible and his 10 yard was bad.  But the dude's film this year is excellent, he won the Outland, and he murdered the other guys at the SB.  He and Darius Robinson were so clearly a cut above everyone else in those drills, that it's hard not to see them as first rounders despite their poor combines.  They looked like elite talent.

Sweat is 54th on Tankathon's board, 74th on PFF's, and 45th on NFLDRAFTBUZZ.  His stock is too low.   He compares to Jordan Davis, who went 13th overall.  He's not freakishly fast like Davis was, but he's more mature and he's even more powerful.  He's a major value candidate in the second round, especially if we can trade down from 36 or 40 and still get him.  Guys whose stock goes down during combine and pro day season are usually big time buy low candidates, because they're getting penalized during the less relevant phases of the evaluation process.

Picking him in the second, despite already having players of the caliber of Payne and Allen is something that the Eagles would do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Quck question. Is there a guy or position that is a need with the 36th pick?   

wheel-of-fortune-wheel.gif

The better question is, who isn't there? We need to improve across the board at all positions so whomever we think we are going to pick(or do end up picking) will be a position of need in my opinion.

Edited by HvyHTTR
  • Thumb up 1

I've been really high on Limmer for a while. He was a good guard last year and did a great job taking over center for Stromberg last year. I like him a lot more than I liked Strom, and I liked Strom. Just not as high as we picked him. Limmer around 100/104 would be perfect.

Paul has been my top pick for 36 for months.

Frazier and JPJ have also been guys I've liked for a while. Might have to revisit Kingsley Suamatuita again, because if he's going to be around the top of the 2nd also if we miss on Paul.

Of course if we drafted Paul and Kingsley in the 2nd and the SVP and Beebe in the 3rd and the Limmer in the 4rth I'd be all about it.

I never want to see an OL as bad as we saw last year, ever again. (although play calling, OL coach and Howell didn't help)

GC I agree with your take on Sweat. I think he's borderline day one and Davis is a good comp for him.

I also agree that this draft is one of the deepest that I can remember.

• Like 3

Just now, Warhead36 said:

We should be able to find day 1 starting caliber talent at WR and OL at 36 and 40. Possibly LB also.

We should have first shot at off ball LBer at 36/40 and it's going to be hard to pass on Gray, Cooper and Wilson.

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Then we are screwed, but have to move on to BPA.

Our tackle deficiency was years in the making, and a quick and graceful fix is unlikely.  We're going to have a flawed LT starting for us, who is going to produce some troubling losses.  And it might be that we can't get an acceptable long term option starting at the position until next year's draft.

Man it sure would be nice to get our Dion Dawkins in the same draft we get our Josh Allen.  Hopefully Morgan is there at 36.  I think there is a decent chance he will be due to his length and injury concerns, but as an authentic BPA candidate in the early 30s, we're going to have to sweat it out with him when the other OL needy teams are on the clock just in front of us.

And there is always the trade down option.  If Morgan and Barton are gone at 36, trading down feels like a good play for us.  We could get into a much more natural range for guys like Paul.

I also like some of the day three options at tackle like Dominick Puni well enough to stay committed to BPA and utilizing trade downs to max out our draft value.  The depth at OL is the best feature of this year's group.  We don't have to force OL picks on day two when we can get a Beaux Limmer and Dominick Puni on day three and have them be the best OL prospects on our team.

• Like 2