Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

payton has great film but as @Going Commandopointed out he has a deep injury history so he might drop.

Love Colson. Great luck IMO in the early 3rd.

I like Corum. I think he drops some maybe into the late third because of his age but hes not a must have for me among RBs. To me there are like 6 Rbs all in close enough range Corum Amon them 

The thing is that whomever is the 3rd RB MUST be able to play teams.  B-Rob isn't playing it.  Rodriguez probably bumps to the #2 power back and he did play some teams last year.  That is a feature that we all need to look for.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:12 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Barner I like as a blocker.  I've tried to get into Holker, he's OK, decent receiver, but he doesn't grab me.  Ditto McClachan.   Tip Reiman has nice size, not much production, but I haven't watched him closely.   I have to watch McCallan. i know this team met with him.  

What about Jared Wiley, TE out of TCU as a day 3 pick? Have you seen any of his film? Thanks

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

payton has great film but as @Going Commandopointed out he has a deep injury history so he might drop.

Love Colson. Great luck IMO in the early 3rd.

I like Corum. I think he drops some maybe into the late third because of his age but hes not a must have for me among RBs. To me there are like 6 Rbs all in close enough range Corum Amon them 

After Cooper tanked his interviews at the SB, Gray is my LB1 for sure.

Kitchens is everywhere in this game, even though UNC is blowing them out.

Maye man. He just almost always seems to know the right place to go with the ball and he has so little talent around him. Definitely my QB1.

How cool would it be to have our QB and MLB both come from the same school, same year and lead us for years.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mudhog said:

What about Jared Wiley, TE out of TCU as a day 3 pick? Have you seen any of his film? Thanks

Wiley has been the one I keep mentioning as the day 3 pick, him and Bell.

I like him as a late round type. Good size. Y type TE. So so blocker but good enough on that front. Good hands. Decent with YAC but not the most explosive player 

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:09 AM, Koolblue13 said:

That's awesome. Thanks man. I'm really hoping for a day two LBer.

Auburn OLB Eugene Asante was a sleeper pick for the Commanders I liked but he is going back to school unfortunately. Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio is someone I would strongly consider but he has a pretty significant injury history. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

12 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Auburn OLB Eugene Asante was a sleeper pick for the Commanders I liked but he is going back to school unfortunately. Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio is someone I would strongly consider but he has a pretty significant injury history. 

Yeah injuries worry me.

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Two slot CBs that jump out at me that do well on some of those metrics.  Sainristil who reminds me a little as a slot version of another Michigan CB I liked last year, DJ Turner. Turner played outside.  He's feisty and fast like DJ.  An ex-slot WR with good ball skills who can take it to the house.  He's undersized but plays physical for his size.

Sainristil is the Clark Phillips or Desmond King of this year's class.  He's one of the best pound for pound DBs in the class, maybe the best, but he's tiny.  And tiny zone DBs don't get picked high in the draft.  That's why I'm struggling with where to rank him.  Head says somewhere in round three, but heart says he is for sure a top 50 player in the class.  He's a star and a culture setter who oozes leadership and playmaking talent.  He's my favorite DB this year, and that's saying something because I think the cream of this corner crop is better than last year's, outside of Witherspoon.  They're splashier, more physical and/or better at turning it over.

Sainristil's a 23 year old 5'9 corner who is maxed out at 185 lbs.  That's the tangibles profile of a day three pick.  Nevertheless, he is a special player.  He plays the game with so much aggression and toughness and joy, and he is so clutch.  Feels like he made a thousand splash plays on both sides of the ball at Michigan, and he does have some legit high end playmaking traits for a corner.  He probably has the best ball skills of any DB in CFB.  He's super explosive, he tracks the ball like a WR, can make catches through contact, high point it, pluck it, make catches way off his frame, and he can also score once he has the ball.  He has some strength in his legs despite his lack of size and length, and he is a physical hitter in the backfield.  And never goes down on soft contact when he has his feet under him and has the ball in his hands.

Guys like him and Corum have really low draft value compared to how unbelievably good they are as players.  They're legitimately two of the best players in CFB last year, first team All Americans and leaders for a National Champion blue blood team.  They're the guys that win you championships.  You can't thrive if all your players are tiny overachievers like them, but a few key guys with their intangibles are a path to being a great team.

I start considering Sainristil value at ~50, and would feel like we got a major steal if we can get him with our pick in the third.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Estime is intriguing but if Im drafting a RB Im going after a home run hitter

I wouldn't overthink it with Estime.  Guys with his combo of power, balance, vision, and creativity running between the tackles are always good NFL backs.  The dude is so high cut and carries so much strength and mass in his legs, but he's so flexible and runs with such great lean that you can't even tell.  That build and pad level, the off beat and patient creativity as a runner, and the way he can flip his hips and start/stop reminds me so much of Emmitt Smith that it's eerie.

It'd start a riot in the fan base on draft day, but I truly think Estime could be our BPA at 36.  Getting Drake Maye at 2, Estime at 36, and Beebe at 40 would be such a massive infusion of offensive talent.  Draftniks would say we reached horribly and then change their tune when Beebe and Estime are probowlers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

After the Forbes fiasco I'm kinda done with undersized CBs. 

I agree. There is a danger in falling in love with an undersized guy's intangibles or even production. Every once in a while he does turn out to be the London Fletcher or Tyreek or Jason Kelce exception. But for every one of those there are 100 Forbes or Kaleke Hudson or Deuce Vaughn.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Forbes is skinny, but he's not undersized.  He is actually pretty tall and long armed for a corner, with an elite percentile wing span.  I suspect he's a physical late bloomer that is going to fill out in the next year or two and be an average weight for a corner.  He's got the shoulders and hips to carry a lot more weight, and he's already 15 pounds heavier than he was at the combine, less than a year ago.

His issues last season weren't really related to size.  He struggled in a horrible scheme with awful coaching just like pretty much all of our DBs did, except Fuller.  He's a good candidate for a break out season this year.

Sainristil is different.  He's not skinny, he's just short and small framed.  But he's strong and super twitched up and explosive.  Great instincts too.  He's an inside-outside zone corner who can definitely play off, but really shines when playing up on the line of scrimmage and in the box.  If you put enough guys like him and Forbes in your secondary, with coaches like Quinn and Whitt, you're going to have a shot at leading the NFL in turnovers.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Sainristil is the Clark Phillips or Desmond King of this year's class.  He's one of the best pound for pound DBs in the class, maybe the best, but he's tiny.  And tiny zone DBs don't get picked high in the draft.  That's why I'm struggling with where to rank him.  Head says somewhere in round three, but heart says he is for sure a top 50 player in the class.  He's a star and a culture setter who oozes leadership and playmaking talent.  He's my favorite DB this year, and that's saying something because I think the cream of this corner crop is better than last year's, outside of Witherspoon.  They're splashier, more physical and/or better at turning it over.

Sainristil's a 23 year old 5'9 corner who is maxed out at 185 lbs.  That's the tangibles profile of a day three pick.  Nevertheless, he is a special player.  He plays the game with so much aggression and toughness and joy, and he is so clutch.  Feels like he made a thousand splash plays on both sides of the ball at Michigan, and he does have some legit high end playmaking traits for a corner.  He probably has the best ball skills of any DB in CFB.  He's super explosive, he tracks the ball like a WR, can make catches through contact, high point it, pluck it, make catches way off his frame, and he can also score once he has the ball.  He has some strength in his legs despite his lack of size and length, and he is a physical hitter in the backfield.  And never goes down on soft contact when he has his feet under him and has the ball in his hands.

Guys like him and Corum have really low draft value compared to how unbelievably good they are as players.  They're legitimately two of the best players in CFB last year, first team All Americans and leaders for a National Champion blue blood team.  They're the guys that win you championships.  You can't thrive if all your players are tiny overachievers like them, but a few key guys with their intangibles are a path to being a great team.

I start considering Sainristil value at ~50, and would feel like we got a major steal if we can get him with our pick in the third.

If he's that good, Maybe LAC takes him with their 3rd round pick?  Ditto Corum considering Ekelar may be gone.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

One week until the combine. Then this thread will be rocking.

I've been in a hotel in Miami since the 1rst with a friend. Heading to Philly right now (in the air probably over the DMV) for a week and then back to Miami for one week alone waiting on a DR appointment.

I can't wait for the combine. 

• Like 3

TJ Tampa really walks the line of being too physical.  Some guys are very physical but don't really play the game with bad intentions.  He does.  Got some Sean in him.  Ironic that his last name is Tampa in that he's from St Petersburg and is a classic cover 2 corner or maybe an underneath zone defender in cover 3.  I don't love his ability to transition out of his backpedal and carry deep speed down the field, but damn this dude is a bruiser.  He's a candidate for a position change to safety.

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah he's a gamer, special leader, lockeroom guy

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2023/9/6/23861810/michigan-wolverines-college-football-mike-sainristil-2023-season-steve-clinkscale-keon-sabb

Zero on the jersey, hero on the defense: Mike Sainristil’s leadership is vital to Michigan

Mike Sainristil may be number zero on the field, but he is the number one influencer in the locker room.

Two years ago, Mike Sainristil was just another wide receiver on the Michigan football team. Fast forward to 2023, and he is now a two-time captain on the defense and just got an interception in the first game of the season against East Carolina.

As any wide receiver would when committing to a school, Sainristil wanted to have the ball in his hands to score touchdowns and make plays when he chose to attend Michigan. In three seasons as a receiver, Sainristil had 36 receptions for 532 yards and five touchdowns.

At the end of the 2021 season, however, head coach Jim Harbaugh asked if he would switch to cornerback, an unusual move for a player who spent all three seasons as a primary wide receiver for the Wolverines.

While some players may have entered the transfer portal or shied away from the challenge, Mikey embraced it and ran with the opportunity.

In his first season as a defensive back in 2022, Sainristil not only learned the position quickly, but excelled at it. He started all 14 games for the Wolverines, accumulating 58 total tackles, two sacks and an interception. He also made arguably the most important play of Michigan’s season when he broke up a touchdown for Buckeyes tight end Cade Stover, tapping into his remarkable speed and power and disrupting the pass with his left hand.

Now in 2023, Sainristil is a seasoned vet, watching film outside of team meetings, taking younger players under his wing and working on his craft for the next level.

“In my opinion, we have followers, leaders, and we have influencers, I think Mike is an influencer,” co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale said. “I think Mike has changed the mindset of everybody on our team, not just the defensive backs because he’s easy to be drawn to. If I was a player, and if I wasn’t Mike, I would be right there next to him.”

Sainristil recognizes being a leader in the locker room. Named captain the last two years, he is not only worried about his play on the field, but the play of his teammates as well.

“(Sainristil is) so easy to talk to,” safety Keon Sabb said. “When he comes into a room, it’s a different feeling. Any time the players lead anything or anytime the coaches aren’t there, Mike just calls the group up. You just gravitate towards him. He’s one of those guys.”

Clinkscale added: “(Sainristil is) a great guy to be around. He’s always trying to do things with the players. He’s never like ‘I’m too busy.’ If the young guys want to come to watch film, and we may not be running meetings, Mike texts them, ‘Hey young guys, I’m in the building, anybody around, I’m here to watch film.’ And that’s why they want to be around him because he shows them, just like a coach, that he cares and he loves them. So they always want to be around him. I love that kid.”

Sainristil’s influence in the locker room has also resulted in his play on the field. Against ECU on Saturday, he had an interception and one solo tackle, swinging all of the momentum in the game toward Michigan.

“We watched film last week,” Clinkscale said. “We watched a guy play man defense and make a great play. And guess who it was? Number zero. We watched him destroy a block. Guess who it was? Number zero. He got beat on the play. And the guy caught the ball and ran down the sideline, and (Sainristil) punched it out. Sound familiar guys? Number zero. He never stops. He’s always going and going and going. And if he makes a mistake, like I mentioned earlier, the great ones, they correct it.”

While he will continue to be the hardest worker in the room, Sainristil is also laying the foundation for the future of Michigan football, teaching and mentoring the younger players to create a pipeline of defensive backs to come through and go on to play at the next level.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've been in a hotel in Miami since the 1rst with a friend. Heading to Philly right now (in the air probably over the DMV) for a week and then back to Miami for one week alone waiting on a DR appointment.

I can't wait for the combine. 

Damn that recoup is rough and long. Combine keeps you occupied for sure. You are going to really be ahead of many of us studying these players!

14 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

TJ Tampa really walks the line of being too physical.  Some guys are very physical but don't really play the game with bad intentions.  He does.  Got some Sean in him.  Ironic that his last name is Tampa in that he's from St Petersburg and is a classic cover 2 corner or maybe an underneath zone defender in cover 3.  I don't love his ability to transition out of his backpedal and carry deep speed down the field, but damn this dude is a bruiser.  He's a candidate for a position change to safety.

His size and aggressiveness for the ball and in tackling makes him seem like a good fit for our new coaching staff. I am a little surprised he didn't have more INT's considering his aggressiveness with the ball.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

TJ Tampa really caught my eye earlier because of his size and ranking,  However when I started looking at some Iowa State games, I became less enthused.  I did not like the way they played him, or maybe I just didn't like their defensive scheme.  I did not see him do any press, and with his size, that was an aspect I was hoping to eval.  In fact, he was playing off the WR 5-7 yds, which I really don't like.  Maybe those two games were anomalies, but I didn't get real excited about him after that. I moved on to Sainristil and Jackson as my favs for day 2 and day 3 targets.

:229:The Rook

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Even if Forbes can be reabilitated, we don't need two light-weight CBs.  The other bigger, more physical, DBs seem to fit better with the desired play style.