Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I can see the value of position flex, especially for the IOL, but if you have a chance to grab a guy like Cooper Beebe and know that he's going to be your LG for the next 12 years, there is more value in that.

I do like the idea of drafting big Centers who can play guard though.

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm not proposing anything, in fact, I'm on record as saying if Peters believes Maye or Daniels is gonna have a great future than take him. I'm suggesting all options be on the table for a 4 win team and that QB's in the draft are a crapshoot that hasn't worked out for this team in 50 years. Like I said, I'd love a franchise QB like the Steelers had with Big Ben...but the chances of getting that guy are rare. Maybe this is our year? 

Every position is essentially a crapshoot. You could draft a LT at #2 and he could end up a huge bust. By that logic we should just never pick in the 1st round and trade down over and over until we end up with 25 mid round picks and hope we land a few unicorns. Because low round QBs are definitely not a crapshoot or anything.

Like @SkinsinparadiseI'm sick of seeing people point to the exceptions (aka SF, Brady) and somehow thinking they're making a point. It's like saying I want a nice car but I shouldn't have to go get a job in order to be able to buy one because a guy a few towns over won one on The Price Is Right.

But you're right. The chances of landing an elite franchise QB are rare. And that's why teams keep trying over and over. Because they know that it's a QB driven league nowadays and in order to be a perennial contender you need one. it's why the Cards drafted Rosen at 10 then ditched him the next year by picking Murray #1 overall. It's why teams keep taking QBs high every single draft. But I'm sure all those teams and GMs are just dumbasses and don't really know how to build teams and what it takes to win.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I can see the value of position flex, especially for the IOL, but if you have a chance to grab a guy like Cooper Beebe and know that he's going to be your LG for the next 12 years, there is more value in that.

I do like the idea of drafting big Centers who can play guard though.

Position flex for backups fine. I want my starters to be damn good at their job.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I got an idea… let’s take the best players at the most important positions over the next three off seasons that we can.

I bet that helps.

Curious to get your feedback on two potential scenarios. I am always the trade-down guy but for the first time in my life I think I'm a "stay put" guy. But I value your opinion. Would you rather have:

A: QB at #2 (Maye, Daniels, or Williams all there just to make it as enticing as possible)

B: Draft at #8 and add #34, #43 + a 2025 1st and 2025 2nd 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious to get your feedback on two potential scenarios. I am always the trade-down guy but for the first time in my life I think I'm a "stay put" guy. But I value your opinion. Would you rather have:

A: QB at #2 (Maye, Daniels, or Williams all there just to make it as enticing as possible)

A.

For this team. A.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

A.

For this team. A.

IDK man, that would be pretty tempting. I'm not completely out on Howell on a better team with competent coaches. 4 high 2nds and still able to grab Bowers or Alt? Could draft McCarthy or Nix and sit them. Plenty of ammo to move up next year and put a rookie QB on a better team? 

Tough one for me.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

IDK man, that would be pretty tempting. I'm not completely out on Howell on a better team with competent coaches. 4 high 2nds and still able to grab Bowers or Alt? Could draft McCarthy or Nix and sit them. Plenty of ammo to move up next year and put a rookie QB on a better team? 

Tough one for me.

We ruined the shot for Howell for now. He now becomes a long term developmental prospect. He can be fixed but it takes time after that **** show. Can’t put him on the spotlight again.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A.

For this team. A.

Same. It's a bit of a win/win as I stated above simply because Option B would still be really good for the long-term outlook of the franchise. I think there's a small chance the new FO/Coaching staff either really likes a QB that could be had later and sees enough in Howell to take the risk, or simply sees this as a multi-off-season building effort and getting "the QB" isn't the highest priority out of the gate (mostly because both Adam Peters and Ben Johnson (presuming he's the guy). Now if the franchise QB is starin them in the face at #2 they clearly take that guy. But if there's any doubt, and there are offers on the table, both guys have experience building rosters and working with QBs that were acquired in a different way than at the top of the draft (I know Goff was the 2nd pick but Johnson got him via trade obv.). So you never know. 

In my absolutely perfect world the Patriots fall in love with one of the QBs. We simultaneously really like both options (whoever is there) equally, maybe for different reasons. Maybe Peters/Johnson think we can build behind both Daniels and Maye. If the Patriots offered us #34 and their 2nd next year to flip, that would be a perfect scenario. Still get your guy at #3, add draft capital. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

As @Going Commando mentioned in an earlier, I’d rather land an OT at 36 if there’s a somewhat comparable talent. Outside of some pretty rare exceptions, you’re just not finding good starting OTs outside the top 50 picks or so. If the position isn’t totally picked over, that’s likely where we should be looking — especially given the depth of talent in this draft. But if there’s some mega-run that we aren’t able to get in on, I’d absolutely have JPJ on the shortlist with each of the early 2nd rounders.

Should be able to get both if we want.  I notice that center prospects don't typically go that early if they don't run well or have elite size, and JPJ is going to measure on the short side.  If it casts doubt on his ability to play guard in the NFL, then I think the 50s become his likely draft range.

I love Rimington Trophy winners, it's one of the awards with a better track records of picking guys who go on to NFL success (if not necessarily picking guys who go high in the draft).

I think there could be a needle we can thread where we have our cake and eat it too:  Jonah Elliss is ranked 37th on PFF's big board.  Patrick Paul is 54th, and JPJ is 56th.  If those rankings are accurate, we could take Elliss with 36 and then trade down from 40 to the 50s, pick Paul, then use the ammo we got from that trade down + our third round to move back up and get JPJ.  We'd come out of the first two rounds with four picks of super high upside players at four key positions of weakness, having likely taken the BPA with every choice.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm not proposing anything, in fact, I'm on record as saying if Peters believes Maye or Daniels is gonna have a great future than take him. I'm suggesting all options be on the table for a 4 win team and that QB's in the draft are a crapshoot that hasn't worked out for this team in 50 years. Like I said, I'd love a franchise QB like the Steelers had with Big Ben...but the chances of getting that guy are rare. Maybe this is our year? 

OK but you took me down the road of bad things happening with teams taking a QB early and good things when they didn't -- Purdy, Kirk.

So I addressed that theoritical point.

Its playing the odds.  I can care less about outliers.  The person who smoked three packs a day and lived to 95 and the one who constantly exercised died young doesn't mean smoking >> exercise.  

So any of these theortical examples of outliers do not move the needle with me.   They exist in every walk of life and if you place your bets on the outlier -- there is a very good chance you will lose.

On another note, that is my guy I touted right now as my late round back.  My current version of Keaton Mitchell last year. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

In my absolutely perfect world the Patriots fall in love with one of the QBs. We simultaneously really like both options (whoever is there) equally, maybe for different reasons. Maybe Peters/Johnson think we can build behind both Daniels and Maye. If the Patriots offered us #34 and their 2nd next year to flip, that would be a perfect scenario. Still get your guy at #3, add draft capital. 

Expanding here. Not sure how realistic this scenario could be. But if the Patriots have dialed in to Jayden Daniels, and we leave open the perception that the #2 pick is for sale (and Maye is our #1), swapping with the Pats could happen. Just have to make it appear as though we are a) open to all options at #2 and b) make sure whoever the Patriots take at #2 is NOT our guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I have some in Virginia, too.  But yeah my family is all over the place.  I moved a lot, too. 

I find one of the cool things though for me as to wearing team gear is when I travel it can be instant bonding with fellow football fans.  And if you follow other teams enough, which i do, i can even at work bond with different people, I have a client for example who is a big Steelers fan and lol thanked me recently for being able to talk that team with them because their spouse and close friends are just casual fans who can't talk Steelers with them.  It's also one of the cool things about this thread, we ultimately know players well on other teams going back to their college days from the process of discussing it here.

I had two different colleagues who was a big Redskins fans and we'd chat, they both lost the passion.  My brother in law is a big fan (my sister is a fan but not a big sports fan) but he still almost bailed on them and stuck around only because Dan sold and is pushing his son to root for Florida teams versus Washington.

Yep.  It's entertainment.  And the QB is the lead actor.  

People can talk all day long about the Hogs and winning in the 80s without that elite QB.  But to me that's like arguing about why do we need subscribe to streaming stations because hey we still have our old school VHS recorder and it still works.

That's part of the reason why when people tell me lets trade down and get our Qb later.  It drives me nuts. :ols:  A big part of the reason why this team hasn't found the QB is they rarely have picked this high let alone in a touted QB draft.  

Times have changed.  The rules have changed as we know to protect QB and help WRs among other things.   It's really hard to win without the QB or for that matter be relevant in this league. 

You make a compelling argument for having entertaining players, but I still think that really only matters in a genuinely tangible sense if your team sucks and is not contending on the regular. Say Deion on the Falcons for instance. I still think winning orgs trump all. If you win consistently, you fill the seats and sell merch, if you win and have entertaining play you sell more merch, no doubt, and I do think, inherently, its rare to have teams that win on the regular with no flashy anything. Oddly the Patriots would probably be that, minus Brady, the Ravens were that on offense, other than Ray Lewis, what raven really sold jerseys until Lamar? Not sure. I can see your point, but generally speaking I think winning is the quickest route to anything of note.

Interesting reading everyone's stories of fandom. I have no ties in any fashion to D.C. other than the fact that my parents moved there and lived there for five years from 1969 to 1974. My brother was born there and somehow absorbed the fandom before they moved back to the bay area right before I was born in late '74. He got to me when I was  a kid (Crushing my 25 cent cowboys quarter helmet I got in one of those late 1970s quarter machines at grocery stores-telling me I preferred being an indian brave to a cowboy right? I liked space and had assumed the star meant "space" when i was 3 or 4). And that was that. My wife was so aggravated about the stupid fandom of a team I never had a connection to and that caused me no end of moodiness and misery, that we got into a funny convo about the latest Caps choke a decade ago, and she urged me to support a "move the caps" effort, which would give me an out on my fandom (I told her that generally true fans, regard the idea of switching teams as 1000% unacceptable unless your team moves, which in my case was funny because the DC'ness of the various teams really shouldn't matter to me since I've never had any connection to it: My family routes are in Nova Scotia, outside Edmonton, Vancouver, San Francisco, Antioch in California, Santa Cruz, and the Lake Tahoe area). 

It is interesting to think about changing teams though. For me it was impossible, like suddenly becoming an extrovert after being an introvert all my life. Just not something it was or is possible to be authentically. These teams I locked onto when I was a kid and that was a wrap. Only significant change since was going from hating the niners with a passion and the raiders with a passion to grudging respect for the niners as an adult, and being open to my kid following either team he prefers or anyone else. But for me? Can't change, wish I could, the past 30+ years have totally sucked, fandom of the expos and indians growing up was nothing but torture (still is for the most part other than '19), wizards fandom is comically ridiculous, Caps fandom puts Red Sox old claims about curses to shame (no other team in sports history has ever had a sub .500 record in playoff series when up by 2 games, except the caps) until '18 anyway. Its basically been unending misery which is why being a fan of the USMNT, and experiencing 2002, and 2009 was so transformative, 2002 was a thrill ride that ended but even the ending was a bittersweet triumph (utterly jobbed by the refs, we could always dream about the fact that we outplayed Germany and got hosed in the QF's, and in '09, a single half away from lifting the Confederations Cup championship after beaing undefeated in years Spain, and then Brazil in the final (before choking that second half 2-0 lead away and losing to Brazil 3-2). USMNT fandom has been my source of joy since I accepted the redskins would suck forever 20+ years ago, so the Snyder snail has been inexplicable in certain ways. hope again? What the ---- am I supposed to do with hope? really? What craziness is this? 

• Like 4

Jackson Powers Johnson just sounds like a badass and the fact that he's only 20 is such a huge turn on for me(giggity). I'd love to take him at 36 but part of me also wants a veteran C for a rookie QB. On the flip side, let the rookie QB and C learn and grow together and maybe we can have our own version of Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

other than Ray Lewis, what raven really sold jerseys until Lamar? Not sure. I can see your point, but generally speaking I think winning is the quickest route to anything of note.

Ed Reed

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Jackson Powers Johnson just sounds like a badass and the fact that he's only 20 is such a huge turn on for me(giggity). I'd love to take him at 36 but part of me also wants a veteran C for a rookie QB. On the flip side, let the rookie QB and C learn and grow together and maybe we can have our own version of Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday.

I'm really high on him. I'm hoping we can somehow come away with Paul, Beebe, JPJ on day two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Every position is essentially a crapshoot. You could draft a LT at #2 and he could end up a huge bust. By that logic we should just never pick in the 1st round and trade down over and over until we end up with 25 mid round picks and hope we land a few unicorns. Because low round QBs are definitely not a crapshoot or anything.

Like @SkinsinparadiseI'm sick of seeing people point to the exceptions (aka SF, Brady) and somehow thinking they're making a point. It's like saying I want a nice car but I shouldn't have to go get a job in order to be able to buy one because a guy a few towns over won one on The Price Is Right.

But you're right. The chances of landing an elite franchise QB are rare. And that's why teams keep trying over and over. Because they know that it's a QB driven league nowadays and in order to be a perennial contender you need one. it's why the Cards drafted Rosen at 10 then ditched him the next year by picking Murray #1 overall. It's why teams keep taking QBs high every single draft. But I'm sure all those teams and GMs are just dumbasses and don't really know how to build teams and what it takes to win.

The easiest way to explain this is: Do you think the Niners saw that Purdy was a monster talent, were genius and decided to let every team in the league have 4-10 bites at the apple before picking him? Or do you think, as I know, that the niners liked him as a QB value dart throw late, and would throw him into the stable while they focused on getting Lance in position to start, and would see and evaluate him in the season and see if they could work him in as a starter? The truth here is that Purdy wasn't a "Plan", he was a speculative value late, that they invested in with no sense in any universe they were taking the best QB from the '21-'22 QB classes combined. They had NO idea Brock Purdy was Brock Purdy which is why they didn't take him in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 which they 1000% would have if they'd known he was this talented. 

The sad truth is that the vast majority of elite QB's in this league are 1st round picks, or day 2 guys (and primiarly 1st rounders), day 3 hits happen, but they are so infrequent that literally everyone knows their name. That's why you remember Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Brock Purdy etc. Because they are so exceptionally rare. Do you remember the hundreds of Chris Hakel's, Jordan Palmers and Gibran Hamdans and Cory Conklin's? Nope, for anyone other than Redskins fans, those names fade away into the ether with the rest of the 95% of said day 3 QB's who never make the slightest imprint on NFL history and are totally forgotten. It's not a plan, it's the lottery, the ultimate hail mary. Can they happen? yes, and they do. Usually about 2 of them hit per decade, out of a gigantic pile of failures. This doesn't mean we shouldn't try when we see a profile we like like Purdy's or Howell's, we should, but it's not a plan of any sort, its a speculative dart throw, blindfolded. The chances of success are less than 10%, and by success I mean the QB having any long term utility at all on a roster, actually becoming a good or great QB is even more rare. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would do B and draft Fuaga if Alt is not there. My trade would be 2024 #8 2025 first and 2026 first. Whatever else you can throw in this year a third or 4th would be good too. 

I would roll with Howell and draft someone later in the draft. I would not pull the trigger until after all pro days are complete. Maye or Daniels could possibly sell me but at this point no. People forget Jared Goff was dead in the water and Baker Mayfield was on two teams as back up last year. 

29 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I would do B and draft Fuaga if Alt is not there. My trade would be 2024 #8 2025 first and 2026 first. Whatever else you can throw in this year a third or 4th would be good too. 

I would roll with Howell and draft someone later in the draft. I would not pull the trigger until after all pro days are complete. Maye or Daniels could possibly sell me but at this point no. People forget Jared Goff was dead in the water and Baker Mayfield was on two teams as back up last year. 

Enjoy another 3+ years of 6-7 wins at best then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I'm in the "trade down" camp for a few reasons.

1. I want to see more from Howell. I'm not ready to give up on that guy just yet.  

2. The new GM has a reputation for extracting tons of value later in the draft so I want more bites at the apple THIS year and potentially next depending on the "trade down" package.

3. All 3 of the top ranked QBs have warts, I dont have them as light years better than the tier 2 players in this draft like Nix, Penix, etc.

Happy to litigate my view on Howell but perhaps thats for a different thread.  I just think most teams give up on QBs too soon and Sam showed me enough. Certainly there should be a true competition in camp and let the best man win the job.

But I also agree with you about pro days.  I want to see how the combine shakes out and see if I can get a sense for how well these Qbs do in the interviews. 

• Like 1

Top 20 TE’s

1. Brock Bowers Georgia *Ridiculous athlete
  2. Ja’Tavion Sanders Texas
  3. Cade Stover Ohio State
  4. Jaheim Bell Florida State
  5. Jared Wiley TCU
  6. Eric All Iowa
  7. Theo Johnson Penn State
  8. Ben Sinnott Kansas State
  9. Dallin Holker Colorado State *Phenomenal hands
  10. AJ Barner Michigan