Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Penix is the guy I hope the Giants draft.  I don't think there is anything special about him.  Ball placement and arm talent are ordinary.  Field vision and creativity are meh.  Ability to read pressure and scramble are sub par.  Release is low and elongated, which coupled with his tendency to drift into pressure means batted balls.

He's a sixth year senior playing behind the Joe Moore line in a gimmick heavy offense throwing to three good receivers.  He also has a terrible medical history.  He's not in the same world as a prospect as Drake Maye and Caleb Williams.

I got to watch Penix.  But I follow the Giants some because I have close relatives including my wife who root for them and as a Yankee fan I read the NY sports pages almost everyday.

Giants seem to have a draft crush on Maye.  And I don't want to see him playing for them.  I know for a bunch of Maye's games they had more scouts watching him than other teams at least according to some mock draft types.

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Also if you want to grade prospects on the quality of the defenses they faced, the only two decent defenses Penix played against were Utah and the Oregon schools and he didn't look good against them.  Cal, Stanford, USC, Michigan State, Arizona St, Boise, Tulsa were all among the worst defenses in CFB this year.

To that point it should be interesting to see him versus Michigan.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

Evaluating quarterbacks is so difficult that even the best in the business regularly get it wrong.

Such an excellent post. Add to the difficulty in evaluation, you need to make sure you have the coaching to make sure he succeeds. I cannot wait for Monday for the process to really begin.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Such an excellent post. Add to the difficulty in evaluation, you need to make sure you have the coaching to make sure he succeeds. I cannot wait for Monday for the process to really begin.

Just 4 more days of having a clown run operation.  Can't wait until next week.

Sure, QBs, are the hardest position to judge in sports as to scouting college QBs and translating that to the pros.  My best cheat code on that front is to bank on traits and makeup.  And while there is no guarantee any QB will be successful the odds increase in your favor the higher you pick, so i am hoping we got the #2 pick. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants seem to have a draft crush on Maye.  And I don't want to see him playing for them.

Me neither.  Everyone in the NFL world loves Maye because he's Josh Allen without the warts as a prospect.  Perhaps many folks don't remember how bad Josh Allen was in his final collegiate season but I do.  Didn't matter, he still went top seven in a strong class.  Maye is so much further along than he was, while having the same tools and upside.  He's the version of guys like Herbert and Allen that already knows how to read a defense, create, manage pressure, and throw NFL windows with elite placement as a RS freshman and sophomore.  It's Tua's instincts and reading skills and accuracy inside Herbert's body.

We're in the nitpicking season for these QBs and a lot of dumb takes are going to be given on these guys, but at the end of the day, Drake Maye is going #2.  The only question is are we going to be the ones to get that pick, or will it be NE, Chicago, New York, or Arizona?

The next ten years of Washington football are hanging on whether we lose the last game.  The #2 pick is a potential franchise changer for us.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

In your opinion? Yep.

Joe Burrough records at LSU no.1 comp per 68.5   passing yards per game 305.9   TD passes 76   300  pass yard games   15 400 yard pass yards games   Total yards9,332 total yards  total yards per game 333.3 In 3 years. National championship. Dout. Maye can match those.

57 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Also if you want to grade prospects on the quality of the defenses they faced, the only two decent defenses Penix played against were Utah and the Oregon schools and he didn't look good against them.  Cal, Stanford, USC, Michigan State, Arizona St, Boise, Tulsa were all among the worst defenses in CFB this year.

J.J. McCarthey has played as tough D's as any and always is under pressure. Just played maybe the best D last weekend too. Looks like he has the least quality WR's too. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Penix is the guy I hope the Giants draft.  I don't think there is anything special about him.  Ball placement and arm talent are ordinary.  Field vision and creativity are meh.  Ability to read pressure and scramble are sub par.  Release is low and elongated, which coupled with his tendency to drift into pressure means batted balls.

He's a sixth year senior playing behind the Joe Moore line in a gimmick heavy offense throwing to three good receivers.  He also has a terrible medical history.  He's not in the same world as a prospect as Drake Maye and Caleb Williams.

I disagree. Ball placement has been pretty damn good the last year.

Near Elite arm talent 

pocket presence and composure are better than Willliams, Maye, and Daniels in my opinion

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

That elongated release seemed so obvious when I watched Penix in September. I hadn't seen him again until last week. I didn't notice it. Is there a chance he made an adjustment that has smoothed his release some over the season? I know it would be odd mid season but it jumped off the screen in September.

Penix does have a really solid team around him. I cant wait to see the game next week. If he can keep his team hanging in the game I see him being drafted top 15. Yes, I know there are medical concerns but his talent is pretty solid and I thought his ball placement was very good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to watch Penix.  But I follow the Giants some because I have close relatives including my wife who root for them and as a Yankee fan I read the NY sports pages almost everyday.

Giants seem to have a draft crush on Maye.  And I don't want to see him playing for them.  I know for a bunch of Maye's games they had more scouts watching him than other teams at least according to some mock draft types.

To that point it should be interesting to see him versus Michigan.

If that's true...how angry and knee-jerk-reactionary-moves will they do if a division rival drafts him instead?

Will their ownership push for a move up regardless?

Rattler is underrated and played behind such a bad o line. I’m an SC fan / alum so watched him a lot.

when he is on he looks like a top 15 pick, but he can also look like crap (but some

of that can be attributed to the Oline)

Maye and him squared off this year. Neither looked that much better than the other, Rattler got sacked 9-10 times I believe that game 

probably a weird take but if he is there in the 3rd I’m taking him if I am the Lions, perfect fit for him 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

And still the worst defenses in the  CFB are miles ahead the ACC?

But either way, much like Stroud last year when it came to the biggest stage against his toughest opponent, he showed up (which is the opposite of what Maye did vs Clemson - his toughest game all season).  If Penix does it again vs Michigan and balls out 3 games in a row I don't see how anyone could discredit that. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Rattler is underrated and played behind such a bad o line. I’m an SC fan / alum so watched him a lot.

when he is on he looks like a top 15 pick, but he can also look like crap (but some

of that can be attributed to the Oline)

Maye and him squared off this year. Neither looked that much better than the other, Rattler got sacked 9-10 times I believe that game 

probably a weird take but if he is there in the 3rd I’m taking him if I am the Lions, perfect fit for him 

I hear you for a team with a older starter he would be a nice fit if not thrown to the wolves. One of the somewhat forgotten draft moves last year - Detroit did take Hendon Hooker in the 3rd round. 

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I disagree. Ball placement has been pretty damn good the last year.

Near Elite arm talent 

pocket presence and composure are better than Willliams, Maye, and Daniels in my opinion

Yeah I have to agree

And I don't get hyping Maye when it comes to ball placement when he is below average when it comes to on target rate at every single throw depth

2024 QB Accuracy Chart.jpg

• Like 1

I hate (wrong word, because it's an absolute blast) to go all JMS here, but if we traded back 2 or 4 times and stayed in the top 10, we could come away with Bowers, one of the best OTs, have extra picks next year and absolute LOAD the offense and grab Rattler and XL. Beebe and Van Pran or JPJ, another OT, become one of the youngest offenses, rebuild the OL and add weapons all over, and pair it with a hot young HC.OC tandem. If Rattler sucks, we have extra ammo for next year and should still be a top 10 team.

Total offensive rebuild.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I know some here think that questioning Williams/Maye is overthinking it. And to some degree I understand that thought.

But I think it’s kind of under thinking it, too. Which is why QBs are so hard to get right. 

my thoughts on draft strategy are going to be largely formed by our FA presence. Until then, I’m not sure what we should do.

56 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hate (wrong word, because it's an absolute blast) to go all JMS here, but if we traded back 2 or 4 times and stayed in the top 10, we could come away with Bowers, one of the best OTs, have extra picks next year and absolute LOAD the offense and grab Rattler and XL. Beebe and Van Pran or JPJ, another OT, become one of the youngest offenses, rebuild the OL and add weapons all over, and pair it with a hot young HC.OC tandem. If Rattler sucks, we have extra ammo for next year and should still be a top 10 team.

Total offensive rebuild.

Like this? 😄

image.png.8b841ac427bf5f8299a62b05d90a1d43.png

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Exactly. And go watch what Caleb Williams did to that Oregon defense. With no OL, a horrific defense and no receivers. Yes USC lost. But Williams was clearly the best player on the field that day. The throw he makes in the first drive of the game, on the run, for 40 yards is unbelievable. And Williams did that same exact thing probably 100 times in his college career. Nix had 4 TD's in that game and it was probably the best game of his career. Nix was fantastic. But so was just about every other QB USC faced this year. Williams had to carry that team on his back the entire season ALONE. It is incredible they won as many games as they did in all honesty. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants seem to have a draft crush on Maye

Good. I like Maye and would be perfectly happy with him at 2. But I hope the Giants mortgage their entire future to move up to 1 for him and we get "stuck" with Caleb Williams at 2.