Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

QBs first and there will be plenty of OT/WR worth grabbing with our next 3 picks. A few IOL will drop to our 100/104 picks. Wouldn't mind grabbing Stover, Sinnott or one of the PSU TEs next. We also have no depth on our OL, so if we need to roll with Leno for another year while grooming a Kiran adjie or Peters for a year, it's not a bad place to be.

I think the roster is going to turn around pretty quickly and we need guys for the future as well as next season. This is a great draft to start rebuilding the offense for the future.

I have zero interest in trade ups.

What about giving up the high 4th, to move up 5 spots from high 2nd to late 1st? 5th year of control is tempting.

44 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

What about giving up the high 4th, to move up 5 spots from high 2nd to late 1st? 5th year of control is tempting.

That is tempting, but I still want more and not less picks.

It's going to depend on how the draft shakes out. If a guy like Legette or Morgan is there in the back 20's, I'd be worth it.

Edited by Koolblue13

46 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Tempting for sure.  Not only the 5th year option alone, but I’d assume it would be for a receiver or tackle, so you’re probably leapfrogging some teams that want to go after the same positions, and it’s a 5th year for a premium priced position.  On the flip side, 1) with strong positional depth in the draft at both of those spots, it may be a smarter draft strategy to just wait, and 2) that early 4th rounder probably has a pretty good chance at being a contributor or maybe even a solid starter sooner than later.  Tough call.  Of course, you could always attempt to then trade back with the second 2nd rounder and recoup the loss…

Edited by skinny21

12 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

I really hope we don’t go for Drake Maye if we pick 2nd (and somehow can’t get Caleb Williams).  Would rather have Jayden Daniels or even Marvin Harrison Jr.

I'm still trying to make up my mind about Maye, which will include watching more cutups and focusing purely on him vs just watching him during a game. My initial instinct is that I do like him, but I'm not really "wowed" by him. He doesn't pop off the screen in the same way guys like Williams and Daniels do. I know that's not very helpful and is a bit vague, but it's just a feeling.

My gut says he's a likely a pretty safe prospect but probably doesn't have the kind of ceiling the other top guys do. But it also means that he probably has less chance of busting than Williams or Daniels.

I think @KDawghas said something along the lines of Maye basically being a bigger Sam Howell and I can see some of that comparison. You could definitely do worse, but is that worth a #2 overall pick? I'm not convinced yet one way or the other. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That site just lists OL in total, their ranking don't differentiate between T, G or C.

Look again.  While they do rank offensive linemen altogether, they also have tabs at the top of that list which rank centers, guards, and tackles separately.  They do the same with defensive linemen (DE and DT) and defensive backs (CB and S).  They also have a separate EDGE list that includes guys from both their LB and DL lists.  They just tend to place guys at the position they played most in 2023.  Barton, for example played LT at Duke, so that's where they list him, even though most project him at G at the next level.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Then pair that by trading back either the second second rounder or early third rounder to get back to nine picks or more.

18 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't necessarily want to just settle for whoever is still there at the beginning of the second round for OL.  I want us to get someone special, which for me means going back up into the first and getting Taliese Fuaga.

Every time I watch him, I come away feeling like he's the best OL in the class.  He's the Penei Sewell type OT of this year's class, only he's going to get pushed down lower than he should go because of the presence of Fashanu, Alt, and Latham.

I think Fuaga and Cosmi can form a dominant right side of the line.  I'd look for IOL later in the class and try and get the beast RT prospect to make that side of our offense a true strength.

I love Fauga but wonder if he's gone in the first 20 picks.  If two high 2nds get us there, I'd do it.

13 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

I really hope we don’t go for Drake Maye if we pick 2nd (and somehow can’t get Caleb Williams).  Would rather have Jayden Daniels or even Marvin Harrison Jr.

I'd kill for Drake Maye.  Got my fingers crossed that we end up with the 2nd pick in the draft.  Although Daniels and Harrison are good consolations prizes if we don't get Maye.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What do the analytics say about these QBs? Every data point I see about Maye is not good or not any better than Daniels. Isn't Harris an analytics guy and looking for a GM in the same vein?

These numbers back a lot of what I’ve seen on Caleb Williams, too. 

He’s a big risk, man. His talent is otherworldly but he does a lot to leave pause that many are overlooking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

90s is elite grade for PFF.  They see Caleb as the best player in the draft.  Drake as the third.

Sure, always some risk, especially with QBs.  If we went with the safest player in the draft that would be IMO Marvin Harrison Jr.  But as much as I love Harrison, I have zero interest in him at #2.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

90s is elite grade for PFF.  They see Caleb as the best player in the draft.  Drake as the third.

Sure, always some risk, especially with QBs.  If we went with the safest player in the draft that would be IMO Marvin Harrison Jr.  But as much as I love Harrison, I have zero interest in him at #2.  

I really don’t understand how Williams numbers in that photo translate to best prospect in the draft. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

some here and there stats thrown out from PFF I see.  Here's all of it in one place

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 2.03.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 2.03.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 2.03.50 PM.png

Cool. So looking at this and also the attached that I just saw on Twitter...why would Drake Maye or Caleb Williams be the pick over say Daniels? 

I just think all of these QBs are pretty close and there is no slam dunk. Right now though Maye might seem safe but he also seems unremarkable and the likeliest to be a Trubisky.

I think if Harris loves analytics and is looking to a GM and thus HC who do too their best QB might not be the one everyone here loves cause the numbers aren't that impressive for the current consensus top 2

2024 QB Accuracy Chart.jpg

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Can the Bears realistically pass on Caleb Williams if he's as good as every as every scout and analyst says he is? I would love Caleb, but can they afford to let him fall to Washington? 

That's why I have a gut feeling that we're drafting Drake Maye. From what scouts and analysts say, he's the real deal. Looked at his highlights and he plays like Josh Allen. I'm sold if we can't get Caleb. 

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Can the Bears realistically pass on Caleb Williams if he's as good as every as every scout and analyst says he is? I would love Caleb, but can they afford to let him fall to Washington? 

That's why I have a gut feeling that we're drafting Drake Maye. From what scouts and analysts say, he's the real deal. Looked at his highlights and he plays like Josh Allen. I'm sold if we can't get Caleb. 

I still think maye goes first over Caleb . Either way I’m down for both QB, I think a lot on here would feel more comfortable about Maye since Caleb supposedly has some question marks . 

58 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What do the analytics say about these QBs?

Bo Nix doesnt take sacks because he never throws the ball beyond 10 yards. I think that is about the most worthless stat as far as grading a prospect goes. 

Ok. So I spent the past day watching more of Mayes 2022 tape. And I still think Williams is the better prospect. Maye was definitely better in 2022 with a stronger supporting cast. But so was Williams. And Williams still amazes me with his elite arm and playmaking ability. Maye has a little bit of that playmaking ability as well. But it just isnt the same. Mayes arm is incredibly good. Williams is other worldly imo. The one thing I like about Maye is imo he sees the field really well. And he looks off the safety at a pro level already. These are things Caleb can improve on for sure.

Bottom line for me is Maye is impressive enough that I dont want to waste the draft capitol anymore to move up to one to ensure Caleb. Take whichever one of the two of them is left with the second pick. Then use that draft capitol to add a WR and a couple OL in rounds 2 and 3. Bright time to be a Washington football fan ya'll.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Bo Nix doesnt take sacks because he never throws the ball beyond 10 yards. I think that is about the most worthless stat as far as grading a prospect goes. 

I don't want Bo Nix and they'll obviously also look at ADOT but sack ratio is definitely not a worthless stat. It has actually been one of the more reliable indicators when it comes to QB success (along with accuracy)

9 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

It took Josh Allen 3 seasons to become the Josh Allen that we see today. It wasn't until 2020 that he even hit a 60% completion percentage and Maye doesn't have his arm nor his build but apparently does have similar accuracy issues

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

but sack ratio is definitely not a worthless stat.

Worthless was the wrong term. My apologies. But it is very scheme dependent as well. Yes QB's who are looking to create outside of the scheme will take more sacks. It is expected. And something you accept with playmaking QB's.