Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like McCarthy.  I think he's #4 in the class, and part of me likes him more than Daniels despite the difference in production.  I just don't like him over Maye and definitely not over Williams, but yeah at some point all of the winning does become hard to ignore.  He takes care of the football, he's athletic, and he wins.  But he also doesn't have a great NFL body (similar to Daniels), he plays behind a Joe Moore line, next to the best running back in CFB who has scored over 40 freaking touchdowns in two years, and his defense is killer.

I'm hoping Michigan wins it all next week so he'll have more incentive to go pro in this class instead of waiting until next year.  IMO McCarthy is our best fall back option if we win our last game.

I think seeing how he is only 20 years old, he still has at least 2 more years of growing into his frame, where as daniels is a little older and might not fill out as much.

The say that daniels has put on some major muscle weight in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't worry to much about their slight frames. With a nfl diet and strength and conditioning program, they both should be able to pack on some lbs, without losing to much, if any mobility.

6 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Michael can spin it as well as anyone and he also showed some elusiveness in the pocket as well. The only concern is accuracy, but I think he certainly raised his stock some last night with that performance. 

I haven't sat down and studied him, I'll do it soon.  I know the rap on him is injuries and his accuracy-game faltered towards the end of the season.

But wow, last night was a tour de force

As for receivers in that 2nd round range, Ja'Lynn Polk along with Brian Thomas have been my guys at WR.  Ladd McConkey too but I suspect he falls to the third and that's only if they draft 2 receivers because I prefer a receiver with size. 

• Like 2

Man, I’m not as sold on McCarthy as any of you. I definitely have him behind Penix and Nix. Maybe even Rattler, but he’d probably edge him out based on age.

He’s not bad, persay, but I don’t see what you guys see. I do like him, though. I think he has very good long term potential. 

I think Penix may be the best QB in the draft from a “ready” standpoint. But the injuries and such are a major issue. I will need to do a deep dive on him like I did the others to get a real good feel.

I probably wouldn’t take Penix over Williams. Maybe Maye. Maybe Daniels.

But I’d trade back and take Penix if I could, I think. We’ll see when I delve deeper. That’s my current thought but a lot can change when I dive a little deeper. 

I think I like Ward a bit more than consensus, too, but he’s one I really gotta dive deep with. So I’m not ready to say much on that front.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like McCarthy.  I think he's #4 in the class, and part of me likes him more than Daniels despite the difference in production.  I just don't like him over Maye and definitely not over Williams, but yeah at some point all of the winning does become hard to ignore.  He takes care of the football, he's athletic, and he wins.  But he also doesn't have a great NFL body (similar to Daniels), he plays behind a Joe Moore line, next to the best running back in CFB who has scored over 40 freaking touchdowns in two years, and his defense is killer.

I'm hoping Michigan wins it all next week so he'll have more incentive to go pro in this class instead of waiting until next year.  IMO McCarthy is our best fall back option if we win our last game.

I agree best fall back option and he is 20 years old.  Mich. OL is not all that great from my view. He is under a lot of pressure when you look at the tapes most of the time. Bama has a pretty good DEF. QB was a problem last night. Going to be a good game for the National championship.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I think seeing how he is only 20 years old, he still has at least 2 more years of growing into his frame, where as daniels is a little older and might not fill out as much.

The say that daniels has put on some major muscle weight in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't worry to much about their slight frames. With a nfl diet and strength and conditioning program, they both should be able to pack on some lbs, without losing to much, if any mobility.

I do too think he would be a nice fit and even sit a year. 

10 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Including this game (that's still underway), Penix has been sacked only 10 times in 14 games. Compare that to Maye and Williams, who get sacked all the time and Penix has to be operating quicker.

If anything backs up that statement, it's the super low sack rate.

In fairness Penix has multiple first round lineman in front of him. Williams didnt have a lineman that will get drafted most likely.

39 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I agree best fall back option and he is 20 years old.  Mich. OL is not all that great from my view. He is under a lot of pressure when you look at the tapes most of the time. Bama has a pretty good DEF. QB was a problem last night. Going to be a good game for the National championship.

Their OL is really good.  They won the Joe Moore award his first two years and were still good this year too.

Three of the four finalists for the Joe Moore award this year were LSU, Oregon, and Washington, who won it.  Those QBs faced a lack of pressure this year that was wholly different than what Drake Maye and Caleb Williams dealt with.  Their OLs were on the opposite end of the P5 school spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I post an article a week or so ago saying NFL FO"s are much higher on McCarthy than mock drafters.  I think if he comes out he's at least #5 in that group.

I am not a big Nix guy, I think he will have a good NFL career but most likely my guess as a backup -- he reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy.

I noticed PFF doesn't think much of Ward and they aren't bad at smoking out some of the later round QBs including Purdy a couple of years ago.  They do like Nix though.  But I'll watch Ward and make up my own mind.

I wonder about Jordan Travis if he enters this draft.  mid round?

I agree Penix is likely a riser.  He'd be tempting for some QB desperate team in spite of his injury issues.  i like to gauge my own thoughts sometimes in the context of would I like it if a division rival drafted the player -- and thinking about it i wouldn't love it if he ended up with the Giants.  He's a gamer. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 7.09.27 AM.png

I agree on Penix having a floor of going late first. The value vs risk is too great to ignore there. If you draft him, you do need to also pay up for one of the better backup QBs. 

Outside the top 3 teams, NYG, DEN, PIT, LV and ATL definitely need QBs. Payton took a risk once on a guy with major injury issues in Brees and that paid off in spades for him. I could see him falling in love with Penix.

TEN, TB, AZ, SEA, MIN and NO could also be likely players in the starting QB market.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McCarthy makes plays off platform, good accuracy, and has special speed.  Because they rely so much on the running game, I wish I could see him in a game where they let it fly with him.  Granted Michigan doesn't have the receivers that Washington does, not even close, but with Penix they put it on his shoulders.

Yeah its taking me awhile to get there but I am with you as to Drake Maye at #2.  I've watched at this point more Maye than any player I've ever watched in a draft.    I think there is almost an overthinking with Maye with some (not here, everyone here puts in the time for their takes) as to him being so cool as a prospect for 2 years running that its become uncool to like him.  But his traits IMO are so absurdly translatible to the pros -- he's a safe pick. 

And I am not the easiest sell on college QBs.  There have been plenty I've liked and disliked.  I have a better hit rate on the ones I dislike but of course the odds are with me on that front.  But there have been QBs I like including Howell and Corral for example but I didn't love either one, said they have plenty of bust in them, and rated them both as 2nd rounders.  And for Corral i soured on him as the draft process went on after hearing about his interviews, etc.

I didn't have any trepidation about Burrow.   Maye is almost in that category for me.  He slam dunk IMO deserves his top 5 in the draft status.   High first round talent.  He's not flawless.  But he's a complete, well rounded QB, who has every trait needed IMO.

And i hate to be boring-conventional especially with QBs but for me its definitely Caleb and then Drake.  Daniels next.  I am undecided about 4.

We're in the nitpicking phase of this QB class.  Maye is a beast and I was pretty much sold on him after the first game I watched of him live.  To me, it is tough to miss the obvious comparisons to Justin Herbert and Josh Allen with Drake.  He has their playing style and tools and upside, but he's a better and cleaner prospect than they were.  He's further along in his development as a passer and playmaker as a RS Freshman and Sophomore than Herbert was as a Junior and Senior.  I think he's more accurate than Herbert was and he has better instincts than them.  He sees the field so well, and he's poised under pressure.

The traits that Maye has don't just translate to success IMO, but to dominance.  He has a chance to become one of the most potent and creative playmaking QBs in the NFL by the end of his rookie deal.  That's why I am willing to move on from Howell after such a short stint even though I like Howell too.  Maye is so good and could be such a game changer for us if we can get a defense and a stable organization around him that we could be in that same hunt with Cincy/Buffalo/KC/Baltimore each year.

If we're lucky enough to end up with the #2 pick, it's gotta be Maye.  The only thing that could tempt me off of that is if Chicago offers us a pick swap for Caleb Williams.  At that point I'd say Hell yeah get Caleb, but cost could be prohibitive.

I'm boring this year too, I've got Caleb 1, Drake 2, and Jayden 3 and I'm pretty firm on that.  Boring but it's the right call IMO.  Drake is such a strong #2 that the only #1 overall prospects since 2013 who'd go in front of him are Caleb, Burrow, and Lawrence.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Presuming we clean house, for the most part, what would the expected return be on our two most likely trade candidates? 

Jonathan Allen seems most likely to be moved. He has expressed frustration in being part of a re-build. We could probably ship him to a contender ... a 1st is likely too much to expect back. But would a 2nd and a future 3rd make sense?

Terry McLaurin is a tossup. Do you keep him around for a full re-build knowing he'll be out of his prime by the time we are competitive? Is he more valuable to the team to keep around as a top target for a rookie QB? Do you want to re-set and bring in younger weapons to build around the QB? I think Terry would get the most compensation, likely a 1st, from a team like the Chiefs?

Allen is somewhat replaceable in-house given we are 3-deep at DT behind him. He could be replaced by a cheap veteran in FA, or with a 4th-6th round pick. 

Terry is not easily replaceable, but if you are targeting a WR in this draft you could double-down, using a late 1st from Terry to draft a WR, and hit the position again in R3 or R4. 

In a full rebuild I could see the new FO trying to create as much draft capital as possible. Since it is unlikely we will accomplish that by trading back in the 1st, trading veterans seems like the next clearest path. 

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Presuming we clean house, for the most part, what would the expected return be on our two most likely trade candidates? 

Jonathan Allen seems most likely to be moved. He has expressed frustration in being part of a re-build. We could probably ship him to a contender ... a 1st is likely too much to expect back. But would a 2nd and a future 3rd make sense?

Terry McLaurin is a tossup. Do you keep him around for a full re-build knowing he'll be out of his prime by the time we are competitive? Is he more valuable to the team to keep around as a top target for a rookie QB? Do you want to re-set and bring in younger weapons to build around the QB? I think Terry would get the most compensation, likely a 1st, from a team like the Chiefs?

Allen is somewhat replaceable in-house given we are 3-deep at DT behind him. He could be replaced by a cheap veteran in FA, or with a 4th-6th round pick. 

Terry is not easily replaceable, but if you are targeting a WR in this draft you could double-down, using a late 1st from Terry to draft a WR, and hit the position again in R3 or R4. 

In a full rebuild I could see the new FO trying to create as much draft capital as possible. Since it is unlikely we will accomplish that by trading back in the 1st, trading veterans seems like the next clearest path. 

Allen has expressed he wants to win. Mclaurin is all but saying that now. As for Daron Payne, I could be wrong but I can’t imagine him being that interested in a rebuild either. All are on the block for me.

However, slight pause, depends what message and intent comes from the owner after the season, including the short term aspirations of a new GM, HC, and what we look like doing in FA etc. few unanswered questions yet. 

14 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Penix medicals are to his draft stock. If they go well could go first if bad could drop 2 or 3 rounds.

Sounds like some team may take him off their boards, or would that seem unlikely ?

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leonard Williams set the market for 3 tech DTs. I think floor for Jon esp given his cap hit to an inheriting team is a 2nd. Highly doubt we get a 1st

You have to keep Terry. Compare how he has treated Sam to how AJ Brown has treated Hurts. A young QB will need someone like Terry greatly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, method man said:

You have to keep Terry

I agree with this. Just for culture alone. Plus if you add a real weapon opposite of Terry he would be an absolute beast. Terry is an amazing player. But he isnt a true #1 either. 

• Thumb up 2

31 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Allen has expressed he wants to win. Mclaurin is all but saying that now. As for Daron Payne, I could be wrong but I can’t imagine him being that interested in a rebuild either. All are on the block for me.

However, slight pause, depends what message and intent comes from the owner after the season, including the short term aspirations of a new GM, HC, and what we look like doing in FA etc. few unanswered questions yet. 

Sounds like some team may take him off their boards, or would that seem unlikely ?

Payne's deal makes him hard to trade and thus he is not really on the block.  I believe we would be looking at a 22.4 million deadcap hit.  His cap hit next year is 21.6 million so we would actually lose cap space by trading him for a second (though that could be a good long term move if say you got a high second for him)  Its doable, but people excited about that 100 million of cap space would be disappointed to lose 22.4 million of it.  I think we have about 34 guys under contract before trades taht will very likely be on the roster next year which means we have to sign another 20 guys.   100 million divided by 20 million is 5 million per guy, but obviously some guys will be way more expensive than that and others will be much cheaper and with the draft picks it will all be already scheduled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Green Bay has two picks in rounds 2-4. Could be something there for Allen.

I love Terry. If KC offers their first rounder, it would be really difficult to pass up.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think definitely drop him some rounds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

One thing is for sure is last night none of those top 3 QB's has ever had the night Penix did had last night. Or have led their teams to what these QB's have done. USC's backup QB throws 6 TD's and beats a good Louisville team, D looked good enough top win that game or is the ACC that weak? Daniels skipped his game LSU WR's did not miss a beat. NC middle of the pack ACC team. While the 20 year old, and broken 5th year QB's lead's leads their team to the National Championship. 

I don’t think that’s really a mark against these guys. That’s the nature of college football, tons of talented guys just waiting to play, and a lot of times the starter is only the starter until they declare because unless it’s hurting the team, that’s the unwritten code. Maye could have probably started over Howell that final year, but that’s not really how it’s done. The best teams have tons of guys (who may also be draftable in the future) just waiting in the wings.