Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Lael Collins is still out there and I think the Bowboys are going to move on from T Smith, due to age, injury concerns and already having his replacement.

Book end tackle upgrades. Draft Van Pran and a couple 3rd round OTs to groom. Strom and Cosmi start at Guard. Gives us Paul, Gates and some youth depth.

If we draft a WR early, I want a WR who is at least 6'2" 220 and also a TE early and a CoP back on day three.

Draft a LBer in the 2nd as well and sign one of the older LBers who become available and throw some day three picks at DB again.

Our team is fixable in one year with the right coaches, working under the right FO.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

It's health and a full offsason might help.

So, if it does, he still has to choose us. If it doesn't and he DOES choose us, we're in the same place.

But this is all part of the soup on why I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do in the draft. It's entirely too early to really even get a good handle on it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

So, if it does, he still has to choose us. If it doesn't and he DOES choose us, we're in the same place.

But this is all part of the soup on why I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do in the draft. It's entirely too early to really even get a good handle on it. 

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is the kind of logic that ends up in an awful OL. Mediocre talent and maybes.

It is too early and it is a crap shoot, but signing sure starters with question marks, while having replacement depth behind them with good coaching is how to fix our line quickly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

After Onewu, the top rated OL per NFL.com (grain of salt) is Jonah Williams who is rated worse than Leno and Wylie (another very large grain of salt) by PFF.

OT stinks for FA and should be solved in the draft. However, there are some solid guards who will be out there in FA. Ezra Cleveland, Jonah Jackson, Vaitai, etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, method man said:

OT stinks for FA and should be solved in the draft. However, there are some solid guards who will be out there in FA. Ezra Cleveland, Jonah Jackson, Vaitai, etc

I agree that we could fill the Guard, Center positions in free agency and draft a tackle or 2. Very interested in Nabers/ Harrison Jr if we are in position. You draft BPA and fill other positions in free agency. Defense is stronger in free agency this year. 

If we make it to 4th pick and someone is coming up for a QB I would definitely trade back multiple times. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Then trade McLaurin.

You can't overload your resources into one position group. It's just a stupid way to try to build a team. 

You would have Harrison on a 5 year affordable rookie contract. By the time you would need to pay him Terry will be retired anyways. That is why adding elite talent in the draft is so important.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, method man said:

Lets be honest OL play is atrocious throughout the entire league right now. Grabbing someone elses disposable pieces isnt really a solution. The draft is where that happens. And I know Harrison would be a luxury. But this is a deep OL draft and we have two second rounders as well. You can go blue chipper in the first and double dip oline in the 2nd. Or RT and Edge in the second. With IOL and another position in the third. This is a great draft to have that extra second and third rounder.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Lets be honest OL play is atrocious throughout the entire league right now. Grabbing someone elses disposable pieces isnt really a solution. The draft is where that happens. And I know Harrison would be a luxury. But this is a deep OL draft and we have two second rounders as well. You can go blue chipper in the first and double dip oline in the 2nd. Or RT and Edge in the second. With IOL and another position in the third. This is a great draft to have that extra second and third rounder.

I would actually trade both seconds to get into the mid 1st to grab the RT I want and get the 5th year in that scenario. 

There are some good guards in this crop like Beebe and Barton but the struggles this year’s 2nd round+ IOL crop have had worry me. I don’t want Sam worrying about interior pressure next year as center is a likely question mark anyway

This captures my thoughts on LB but also to a lesser extent Safety and Guard. 

The early picks need to be spent on positions that are impactful and also hard to "buy" in free agency like LT, WR, QB, DE ...

Another reason why the FO is so bad. Obv. we spent no resources on LB in free agency when there were many available players over the years. AND then we used a 1st round pick to reach on a LB. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This captures my thoughts on LB but also to a lesser extent Safety and Guard. 

The early picks need to be spent on positions that are impactful and also hard to "buy" in free agency like LT, WR, QB, DE ...

Another reason why the FO is so bad. Obv. we spent no resources on LB in free agency when there were many available players over the years. AND then we used a 1st round pick to reach on a LB. 

Yep agreed 100%.

The only positions you should draft high are QB, LT, WR, Edge, or CB.

Anything else is inefficient and poor usage of resources.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

You can have $90m in cap space to spend but if there are not that many premier talents on the market you end up overspending. As far as the makeup of this team goes, I think that would translate to:

FA: LB, FS, rotational DE, LG, rotational/prove it/1 year contract on a CB, Center, Running Back

Draft: WR, DE, TE, CB, LT, QB

It's hard to swallow when you spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB that is 95% going to be a lifetime backup. BUT, the value of having a backup QB for 4 years making $1m when, for example, your alternative is to spend $8 on someone like Jacoby Brissett? 

I'd rather spend $8m on a top-tier LB than on a backup QB. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep agreed 100%.

The only positions you should draft high are QB, LT, WR, Edge, or CB.

Anything else is inefficient and poor usage of resources.

I think RT should be considered a premium position in today's NFL as well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

You can have $90m in cap space to spend but if there are not that many premier talents on the market you end up overspending. As far as the makeup of this team goes, I think that would translate to:

FA: LB, FS, rotational DE, LG, rotational/prove it/1 year contract on a CB, Center, Running Back

Draft: WR, DE, TE, CB, LT, QB

It's hard to swallow when you spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB that is 95% going to be a lifetime backup. BUT, the value of having a backup QB for 4 years making $1m when, for example, your alternative is to spend $8 on someone like Jacoby Brissett? 

I'd rather spend $8m on a top-tier LB than on a backup QB. 

Spending on a backup QB is also poor usage of resources. If your starting QB is hurt for any significant amount of time your season is probably over anyway, OR your team is good enough that you can still win some games in which case there is no point spending resources on the position.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think RT should be considered a premium position in today's NFL as well.

Yeah LT/RT. I have no issue drafting a T who projects as a RT if he's gonna be dominant in that position. Some of the best teams in recent memory have drafted RT high(Eagles with Lane Johnson, Bucs with Tristan Wirfs, Lions with Penei Sewell).

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Spending on a backup QB is also poor usage of resources. If your starting QB is hurt for any significant amount of time your season is probably over anyway, OR your team is good enough that you can still win some games in which case there is no point spending resources on the position.

Yeah LT/RT. I have no issue drafting a T who projects as a RT if he's gonna be dominant in that position. Some of the best teams in recent memory have drafted RT high(Eagles with Lane Johnson, Bucs with Tristan Wirfs, Lions with Penei Sewell).

I want some sort of combo in this draft or next draft where we go LT early and then hit RT in the next draft.

I doubt we'll double down in one draft at risk of putting 2 rookies in line to potentially start. But I would hope that if there is an OT on the board when we pick in R2 that we strongly consider it, even if we go LT in the Top 10.

The model I am referring to is 2000 and 2001 when we drafted Chris Samuels at #3 to be our LT and then hit Jon Jansen the next year in the 2nd, and had our bookend Tackles for years.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Good thing the Eagles blew their past two drafts then.

There are exceptions of course, and the Eagles were in a unique position of having a top 10 pick despite being a contender and not having any real needs so they could scoop up a talent like Jalen Carter, but for the most part when you're still in the building stage you need to maximize your assets by drafting premium players at the premium positions.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I want some sort of combo in this draft or next draft where we go LT early and then hit RT in the next draft.

I doubt we'll double down in one draft at risk of putting 2 rookies in line to potentially start. But I would hope that if there is an OT on the board when we pick in R2 that we strongly consider it, even if we go LT in the Top 10.

The model I am referring to is 2000 and 2001 when we drafted Chris Samuels at #3 to be our LT and then hit Jon Jansen the next year in the 2nd, and had our bookend Tackles for years.

We took Jansen in 99 and Samuels in 00, but I get your premise. Man, those were the days. Then remember a few years later when that OL had Dockery, Thomas, and Rabach on the inside? I miss having good OLs like that.

• Like 1