Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Looking forward a few years, I don't see much of a priority above OL and it starts in the middle.

Getting a Howell and Center and a TE (big bodied WR would be great too) would go a million miles for us.

On TE, if Fontenot and Smith get fired, I think there is a decent chance we could get Pitts for one of the two second round picks.

• Like 1

I want to be very clear here... I don't oppose improving the offensive line. It needs it.

But if the coordinator calls the game with some deficiencies in mind, we can get around it.

I think Howell needs an improved OL for sure (1st round OT would do wonders).

But I think having a more dynamic playmaking back to go with BRob and a big bodied possesion guy would do a ton for him... moreso than an interior OL (as long as we have Larsen/Stromberg). Having said THAT... I think we need to draft OL. More than one. So... same page. I just don't want to over invest in OL and leave our weapons lacking for a new HC/OC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I want to be very clear here... I don't oppose improving the offensive line. It needs it.

But if the coordinator calls the game with some deficiencies in mind, we can get around it.

But I think having a more dynamic playmaking back to go with BRob and a big bodied possesion guy would do a ton for him... moreso than an interior OL (as long as we have Larsen/Stromberg). Having said THAT... I think we need to draft OL. More than one. So... same page. I just don't want to over invest in OL and leave our weapons lacking for a new HC/OC.

I think they need two marquee O line improvements.  Not scrub additions but good players.

One in the draft, one FA is enough or whatever.   Stromberg at center.     Cosmi at RT.  Wylie has to be out or maybe shifted to guard.  The more I think about it, tackles to me are the key or one tackle and a stud LG.  Leno is OK but he's aging.  RT is code red.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they need two marquee O line improvements.  Not scrub additions but good players.

One in the draft, one FA is enough or whatever.   Stromberg at center.     Cosmi at RT.  Wylie has to be out or maybe shifted to guard.  The more I think about it, tackles to me are the key or one tackle and a stud LG.  Leno is OK but he's aging.  RT is code red.

Depth is an issue as well. Our OL is pretty empty.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Depth is an issue as well. Our OL is pretty empty.

Agree but depends.

As much as I've cried over the O line.  I wanted the exact same thing last off season.  2 marquee additions that could help the team now.  they ended up with zero.  So am back with 2.

As for depth, it depends IMO.  For example if they sign-draft a marquee LG.  I think Paul and Wylie would be good backups assuming they also sign-draft a RT.  Some of the bad signings like Wylie and Gates I wouldn't mind as backups.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Obviously we need young OL, but if we moved Wylie to LG and drafted best available tackle to play RT, does that improve the line significantly in your opinion?

That would be a just another position flex scheme to not draft OL again, old news this time around. OL TE through the draft first. FA, draft later for the D. Is what I want.

11 minutes ago, method man said:

On TE, if Fontenot and Smith get fired, I think there is a decent chance we could get Pitts for one of the two second round picks.

I think there’s zero chance, because they’ll purposely be hiring a new staff who can utilize their three top-10 pedigreed offensive weapons (with whatever new QB they draft). Doubt they immediately sell one of the best for a loss just because Arthur Smith was a moron. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think there’s zero chance, because they’ll purposely be hiring a new staff who can utilize their three top-10 pedigreed offensive weapons (with whatever new QB they draft). Doubt they immediately sell one of the best for a loss just because Arthur Smith was a moron. 

Maybe. Maybe not. Pitts is extension eligible after this year and they will have to determine whether to pick up his fifth year option, which is probably inline with the franchise tag for TE based on where he was picked. A new FO may want the pick

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I posted it in the QB thread but I would be fine with keeping Leno for another season or two. He is far better than he gets credit for here. And we arent going to be in a position for a stud LT anyways most likely. We could fix RT or get a pro bowl level guard in the middle of the 1st though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With this regime i still hear they like Stromberg better at center, as do I.  will see about the next regime. 

I did watch some Beebe last year, for some reason thinking flasely he was coming out in that draft and I was impressed but haven't watched him this season

We have options now, Center late 1st or early second early 3rd,     RL/T first or second,    TE 1st 2nd/ 3rd  LG  3rd 4th 5th   RB 2nd 3rd 4th,    Big WR 1st 2nd 3rd 4th,   D 3rd through 7th. Trade down, up, out of first, trades,? What ever value comes up first. Pass blocking OL first with talented Center being key. Build around Howell first. No more flex just starters and back ups.

• Like 1

I am usually against drafting a WR high in the first round. But after watching balls get dropped constantly I might actually be in favor of it. Probably no chance we could get Harrison. But someone like keon Coleman really intrigues me. He is MASSIVE and fast. Plus he got dinged up a little bit last week and would probably be available int he middle of the first round. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am usually against drafting a WR high in the first round. But after watching balls get dropped constantly I might actually be in favor of it. Probably no chance we could get Harrison. But someone like keon Coleman really intrigues me. He is MASSIVE and fast. Plus he got dinged up a little bit last week and would probably be available int he middle of the first round. 

WR is a prime position in today's NFL. You could argue its the 2nd most important position on offense and 3rd most important overall(Edge being 2nd QB obviously 1st). 

I love McLaurin and he's a fine #1 WR but he's not a physically imposing game changer. When was the last time he just took over a game? He'll put up good #s and make big catches but he's not that dominant presence. Dotson is a solid #2 but that's probably his ceiling. I don't see a Santana Moss or Steve Smith who were small/undersized but could still dominate. Samuel is a FA after this year and is really just a gadget guy(personally I feel like Gibson can be used in that role as well). 

We really need that big physically imposing receiver that can actually make the tough 50/50 catches more consistently. If we have a shot at someone like Harrison jr. or Coleman you go for it. 

The Bengals had Higgins and Boyd and still drafted Chase as an example. 

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, method man said:

I would look for a more physical TE that could block and catch gives the D a little more to think about. We already have Logan when healthy, Pitts is a big WR and small TE. But if we did trade we still need the other TE. 

36 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

PSU TE Tyler Warren. Can run, block, and catch. Just what we need.

Bring on these types of TE's.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

WR is a prime position in today's NFL. You could argue its the 2nd most important position on offense and 3rd most important overall(Edge being 2nd QB obviously 1st). 

I love McLaurin and he's a fine #1 WR but he's not a physically imposing game changer. When was the last time he just took over a game? He'll put up good #s and make big catches but he's not that dominant presence. Dotson is a solid #2 but that's probably his ceiling. I don't see a Santana Moss or Steve Smith who were small/undersized but could still dominate. Samuel is a FA after this year and is really just a gadget guy(personally I feel like Gibson can be used in that role as well). 

We really need that big physically imposing receiver that can actually make the tough 50/50 catches more consistently. If we have a shot at someone like Harrison jr. or Coleman you go for it. 

The Bengals had Higgins and Boyd and still drafted Chase as an example. 

And Miami, KC have the speed and smaller WR's Plus the fast and quick backs, KC has the pure TE's, who is better?  It would be great to have a big fast, quick WR or pure TE's and a quick back. Terry and Dotson would benefit so would the OL and running game. Samuels, Brown, are not needed to much of the same. 

48 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The idea of drafting Keon is growing on me and I've seen him mocked to us. He'd be a perfect WR1 for us. Dotson in the slot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We probably won't be picking high enough to get him

Low Teens should have us close. Looking at the QBs that are high up, I'd bet this turns into another QB frenzy type of year, pushing other guys back.

3/4 OTs, 2/3 DEs, Harrison, Bowers, who knows.