Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

So it's pretty fair to say that the age range of people who have fond memories of rfk probably starts somewhere around 40 and works up from there.

Correct, and while their numbers have diminished some over the years for various reasons, I think some people are underestimating the percentage of those fans that are still here, and have a lot of football left in "em

Josh Harris is one of those fans..

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 2

Local diehard here.  watched all four SBs, went to all 3 parades (hell our HS excused the absence for the '87 one).  Really enjoyed RFK and had tickets a lot.  Great tailgating with friends in the lot of the grassy entrance under the tunnel.  That was very easy in and out and a blast for pre and post game partying.  

Wonderful memories at RFK and welcome them back but hopefully not in Raljon.  Hell I would take LoCo over MD.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

I was born in 75, became a fan in 82.

When we lost to the Raiders I cried for hours and refused to go to school the next day, so it is possible but you're right it's probably a little rare for people that young to be die hards.

So at 47 years old I was a die hard through the glory years.

Had I been a local with parents who went to games I'd have fond memories of rfk, as it stands I have fond memories of watching the crowds go nuts on TV.

So it's pretty fair to say that the age range of people who have fond memories of rfk probably starts somewhere around 40 and works up from there.

Just turned 48.  Your story is pretty much mine as well.  I know I was watching throughout the first Super Bowl season, but the one play that sticks out in my mind is Riggo's run in the Super Bowl.  My parents were hosting a Super Bowl party and everybody went bananas.  I never forgot that moment.  I was hooked for life.  The following year the ugly loss on "Black Sunday" had me in tears as well.  Didn't help that my uncle (who for some reason despised the Redskins and has been a diehard Ravens fan since 1996) kept ribbing me over it...but I eventually forgave hm, lol.  My son is 11 going on 12 and he is not the diehard that I was at 7/8 years old.  He likes it but he doesn't LOVE it.  For 1987 I was 12, and 1991 I was 15.  Mind blowing that it has been that long.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Commander PK said:

My son is 11 going on 12 and he is not the diehard that I was at 7/8 years old.  He likes it but he doesn't LOVE it. 

May he experience what you did at eight, and when I was 13 watching with my father.

And then he will LOVE IT.

He will be a diehard. 😁

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tshile said:

The last generation of people that really are what you describe are probably 50+ now. The team hasn’t been what it was since 1991. Can you really be a die hard with stadium experience that “remembers” the good old days and have been younger than 20 in 1992? That would make you mid 50’s now at the earliest. 

anyone younger than that is living off memories of what they were told when they were younger. Even for me. Unless we want to start arguing 7 year olds are hard core into football…

I'm 50 and I saw all 4 of the Redskins SB's under Gibbs. 

Luckily for me I started watching them in 1981 and saw them start 0-5. At the time my friends and most of my family were Steelers or Cowboys fans. My grandfather was a Redskins fan, my parents didn't watch football at all. 

I'd guess that if they had continued sucking throughout the 80's I'd never have been into football that much. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 11:33 AM, Spearfeather said:

Correct, and while their numbers have diminished some over the years for various reasons, I think some people are underestimating the percentage of those fans that are still here, and have a lot of football left in "em

Josh Harris is one of those fans..

I have extremely fond memories of Redskin Sundays in the 1980s with my mom and, later, my friends. But, the fact remains that as powerful and nostalgic as anecdotal evidence is, that's all it is...anecdotal. The new ownership group is going to need to follow the metrics and the numbers. And that will lead them to younger, newer fans who are NOT in this age bracket. They might CONSIDER the 50-somethings, but they aren't going to PRIORITIZE that group when making any decisions. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

ÀThe new ownership group is going to need to follow the metrics and the numbers. And that will lead them to younger, newer fans who are NOT in this age bracket. They might CONSIDER the 50-somethings, but they aren't going to PRIORITIZE that group when making any decisions. 

I was saying, that under new ownership, the 40 and over crowd, shouldn't be " disregarded " .

You're saying that they shouldn't or won't be, " prioritized " .

I think there is some middle ground, there.

• Like 2

IMHO, gaining new fans or bringing back old ones is tied to one thing:

Have a competent team that makes the headlindes for its on field product and not the off the field dramas would go a long way in both case.

If you start planning on stuff because of X or Y generation of fans or whatever, you're doing it wrong. You need identity first, as you must be recognizable on the field and in stores. Then you need competent play on the field, which means hiring competent pros for this part and let them do their job.

Then, sit back, and count your ****ing dollars, because fans will be here to support the team. And they'll come from different generations, some old will come back, newer will appear... It doesn't really matter where they come from, fans will be there.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

They might CONSIDER the 50-somethings, but they aren't going to PRIORITIZE that group when making any decisions. 

Then they are not smart owners. Everyone know that most of the 50s something have deep pockets and money to burn. 

You want or need organic growth by making a good product to attract newer fans and bring back the kids of 50s something into the stadium who will contribute to the future of the team.

ALL ages need to be prioritized!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, zCommander said:

Except for those whippersnappin' Gen Z'ers who the all-black uniform/monstrosity was clearly targeted towards. Because of the influence of those Z'ers the NFL is well on its way to diluting its brand by having every single team have an all-black alternate uniform...because some Z'ers on Twitter said it looked 'straight fire' or something like that. The Gen Z'ers are the only ones who respond to these polls on the internet, which skews the results...most people over 40 are likely not even aware of online polling, or even recognize a computer in the first place. 😄

Same thing with this ridiculous 'icy white' trend in the NFL...all-white uniforms, including white (or no) socks, even if it clashes with the existing team colors. Diluting a brand is not the way to go...but I'm sure Jason Wright has a solution. 😣

GettyImages-1341563372-e1632187810252.jp

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Except for those whippersnappin' Gen Z'ers who the all-black uniform/monstrosity was clearly targeted towards. Because of the influence of those Z'ers the NFL is well on its way to diluting its brand by having every single team have an all-black alternate uniform...because some Z'ers on Twitter said it looked 'straight fire' or something like that. The Gen Z'ers are the only ones who respond to these polls on the internet, which skews the results...most people over 40 are likely not even aware of online polling, or even recognize a computer in the first place. 😄

Same thing with this ridiculous 'icy white' trend in the NFL...all-white uniforms, including white (or no) socks, even if it clashes with the existing team colors. Diluting a brand is not the way to go...but I'm sure Jason Wright has a solution. 😣

B. Mitch on the radio, the other day, said only the fans care about uniforms. The players don't. I think he is right. But the fans are also right too since they want to buy the jersey and it has to look sharp when walking around town or in a bar. 

As for the Gen X we are not that old yet and grew up with computers being made and the Internet being installed so we are well aware of the interwebs. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

...most people over 40 are likely not even aware of online polling, or even recognize a computer in the first place. 😄

As a Gen Xer Im thinking about getting one but I just dont have the room. Though I heard the new Commodore 64 is a lot smaller.

images.jpg

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, zCommander said:

Then they are not smart owners. Everyone know that most of the 50s something have deep pockets and money to burn. 

You want or need organic growth by making a good product to attract newer fans and bring back the kids of 50s something into the stadium who will contribute to the future of the team.

You don't know what "prioritized" means then. 

• Thumb down 1

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Except for those whippersnappin' Gen Z'ers who the all-black uniform/monstrosity was clearly targeted towards.

I'm a grouchy, hate everyone and everything Gen-Xer. I actually like the black unis. They're not a sharp as the red ones, which I really like, and better than the whites. The whites would be really sharp if they replaced the black with gold.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm a grouchy, hate everyone and everything Gen-Xer. I actually like the black unis. They're not a sharp as the red ones, which I really like, and better than the whites. The whites would be really sharp if they replaced the black with gold.

Aren't you yourself a Gen-Xer?  I am fo sho but also liked the black unit as the whites were the worst of the bunch.  If they every change the name again, I still dig the Red helmet matte finish with the W.  

I still think the sharpest in our history is the Spear helmet with real burgundy that Sonny wore.....thought those retros reworn by Sean Taylor were awesome

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Aren't you yourself a Gen-Xer?  I am fo sho but also liked the black unit as the whites were the worst of the bunch.  

That's what I said.

And people can have different opinions? What? No way! Get right out of town!

And the red helmet is sweet, but I saw one with a gold facemask and it looked even better.

The uniforms need a couple tweaks: gold on the whites, stripes on the pants, black with white pants etc

Edited by Riggo#44

23 hours ago, zCommander said:

B. Mitch on the radio, the other day, said only the fans care about uniforms. The players don't. I think he is right. But the fans are also right too since they want to buy the jersey and it has to look sharp when walking around town or in a bar. 

As for the Gen X we are not that old yet and grew up with computers being made and the Internet being installed so we are well aware of the interwebs. :)

My response to B. Mitch would be: you players may not care about the uniforms, but you wouldn't have a job if fans weren't willing to shell out enormous amounts of cash to watch you run around on the field. And since that is the case, then fans get a say in what the laundry on the field looks like.

29 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

What time is Josh Harris supposed to meet with the finance committee today?

Whatever time it is, approximately 30 minutes later we should expect to here that the deal is finalized and the new owners presser will be at 3pm Thursday...

Ok, one can dream.  Get this crap done!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4