Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Name something you learned embarrassingly late in life.

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I know everyone here likes to think they're smarter than everyone else, but we all have our blind spots.  I can't take credit for this question, the original thread was started on Twitter last night:

You just ruined my whole day.  Thanks.

• Haha 6

I didn’t realize there was music theory that people followed until I was about 27. I played in bands prior to college, but my ears were pretty good. I went to college late and stopped playing at that time. When I graduated I picked the guitar back up. My ears weren’t as good. Started searching for ways to improve and there it was. 

• Like 1

When I was 5 or 6 years old my dad took our cat Spooky to the vet.  He came home without the cat and told my sisters and me that the reason he didn't have Spooky with him is because Spooky got loose getting out of the car and ran away. 

About 2 years ago our families were together for a holiday.  We got to talking about pets and Spooky came up in conversation.  I recalled how he escaped from dad back when we were little.  My sisters looked at each other with a smirk and then collectively burst out laughing.  It was only then that the light bulb clicked on - that dad had told us all those years ago a version of the "Spooky went to a farm upstate" story.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I didn’t realize there was music theory that people followed until I was about 27. I played in bands prior to college, but my ears were pretty good. I went to college late and stopped playing at that time. When I graduated I picked the guitar back up. My ears weren’t as good. Started searching for ways to improve and there it was. 

There are no wrong note choices, only wrong resolutions.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

There are no wrong note choices, only wrong resolutions.

I agree with that and I’ve learned that over the years. But it hurts progress to not know something that is a major component of what your are trying to achieve. I played guitar for several years prior to college and it’s strange that I never knew about this side of music. But, I am one of the ones that say learn the theory and then forget it. It’s great to always have that base there when it’s needed. 

These days I find that it is more important to learn your intervals than just about anything else if you would like to understand what it is you are playing and the emotion you are trying to achieve. 

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

How do mile markers on highways work?  Am I missing something about them?

I suspect PB is talking about Interstate mile markers. They start at 1 for the first mile from where the interstate entered the state. They # starts from the South on N/S routes and from the West on E/W routes. 

Edit..fwiw I learned while at Caltrans that California has its own postmile marker system. The postmile #s start over at 0 in every county with the exception of Sonoma County where they usually start at 10..for whatever reason. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect PB is talking about Interstate mile markers. They start at 1 for the first mile from where the interstate entered the state. 

Yeah I knew that much.  I thought there might be some quirk I didn't know about.  

Speaking of Interstates, one thing I learned in adulthood is that on Interstate exit signs, the positioning of the small rectangular sign at the top of the bigger sign tells you if your upcoming exit is to the left or to the right.  

fig_42.png

We know the lane for Exit 11 is to the right because the small sign is atop the right side of the larger sign.

And here, Exit 13 is to the left.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL2hpZ2h3YXktc2lnbi0xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6IjEyMDAifX19

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

How do mile markers on highways work?  Am I missing something about them?

TEG is correct, Interstate mile markers.  They don't just count the miles from 1 to whatever.  SOME, but not all, states link the exits to the mile markers, but some don't.  Numbers start at 1 in the south or west and go up as you head north and east.  So this can help you know where you are within a state and also how far it is to your exit (in some states).  

The entire interstate system is ridiculously well thought out and you can tell a lot about a road just by its number.  For example, if an interstate has 3 numbers and starts with an even number, its a beltway (like 495, the Capital Beltway). 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

That the 1991-92 season was the last year of relevance for my football team. 

Edit..I will say if the Schefter rumor is true..this team gains relevance immediately. 

i don’t want to derail, but what Schefter rumor? I’ve looked in the stadium, twitter and a google search. Maybe I’m a dum dum, errrr, well, probably.