Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't see us signing any big names on day 1. But we have $90 Mil in space, a lot of roster spots because of impending FAs, and there is a minimum spend requirement. We'll have to do something in FA.

Agreed, I think we have a number of signings when all is said and done.  We will have a lot of roster turnover.  I just hope we prioritize LT and LB in FA, due to need and I think a proven vet in those positions is crucial.  Those are the positions to be aggressive imo.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, I think we have a number of signings when all is said and done.  We will have a lot of roster turnover.  I just hope we prioritize LT and LB in FA, due to need and I think a proven vet in those positions is crucial.  Those are the positions to be aggressive imo.

Not sure there will be a viable LT. I do think you could find a G or C.

I like Hunter because I believe he would not effect the cap down the road. You could sign him to 3 year deal and front load it. Uche will be over paid and I prefer to get a hungry kid in draft.

I want to spend premium $$ on a green dot defensive play-caller. S or LB.

My target is Xavier McKinney. McKinney at FS paired with re-signing Curl at SS anchors the secondary to complement Allen and Payne on the D Line. Fill in between as necessary.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

My target is Xavier McKinney. McKinney at FS paired with re-signing Curl at SS anchors the secondary to complement Allen and Payne on the D Line. Fill in between as necessary.

What about Antoine Winfield?

Either way I hope Curl is retained. Huge fan of his and he deserves an extension.

• Like 2

I want to believe that this new regime will make the proper choices, avoiding the money seekers which will underperform, the trademark of the ugly snyderism.

I'm a fan of big incentive based contracts, and opposed to huge insane guarantees no matter the performance.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

5 hours ago, illone said:

What about Antoine Winfield?

Either way I hope Curl is retained. Huge fan of his and he deserves an extension.

If Wink becomes the DC, X definitely comes with I think. 

If not, I'd be happy about Winfield. I was sky high about him in that draft.

Curl can go. If either of them come in, they replace Butler as FS, DeFo is the SS and Quan is going to be a good nickle/safety.

Especially if Curl wants Bates money. He's good, but not remotely a game changer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't see us signing any big names on day 1. But we have $90 Mil in space, a lot of roster spots because of impending FAs, and there is a minimum spend requirement. We'll have to do something in FA.

My gut is they aim high on a few players. It's hard to predict who or what positions until we know the staff. I can see them swinging hard at one of the top edge guys, one green dot DB or LB, one OL and possibly a TE like Schultz. 

After that they will hit lower cost players that hit their wants and needs. 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

I want to believe that this new regime will make the proper choices, avoiding the money seekers which will underperform, the trademark of the ugly snyderism.

I'm a fan of big incentive based contracts, and opposed to huge insane guarantees no matter the performance.

Then you just aren’t going to sign the best players, and there’s not much else to say about it. Elite players don’t sign incentive-based contracts, and great players get big guarantees. Even the ones who aren’t “money seekers” only. This includes homegrown players.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Then you just aren’t going to sign the best players, and there’s not much else to say about it. Elite players don’t sign incentive-based contracts, and great players get big guarantees. Even the ones who aren’t “money seekers” only.

I don't really care about "the best", I care more about the mindset, the fit in the system. The best players can easily become the busts (Norman opposed to Fletcher) and hit your salary cap. It's easy to spot them since most have inflated stats on contract years. I like the kind of incentive based contract signed by Mayfield, who is absolutely not the best but who's fitting well in Tampa ($600,000 for being in the top 10 and $250,000 per playoff game).

Edited by FrFan

4 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I don't really care about "the best", I care more about the mindset, the fit in the system. The best players can easily become the busts (Norman opposed to Fletcher) and hit your salary cap. It's easy to spot them since most have inflated stats on contract years. I like the kind of incentive based contract signed by Mayfield, who is absolutely not the best but who's fitting well in Tampa ($600,000 for being in the top 10 and $250,000 per playoff game).

Yes, you can cherry-pick bargain FA pickups who hit big. It’s a viable strategy and one we should use, you have to fill the roster. But if you want elite talent, you’re going to have to pay for it eventually, either from FA or in-house, and it can’t be paid for with incentives and lower guarantees. I agree with you that you can try to avoid guys who have only performed (or stayed healthy) in contract years. But the cap only keeps going up, and you gotta use every tool at your disposal to build a team.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yes, you can cherry-pick bargain FA pickups who hit big. It’s a viable strategy and one we should use, you have to fill the roster. But if you want elite talent, you’re going to have to pay for it eventually, either from FA or in-house, and it can’t be paid for with incentives and lower guarantees. I agree with you that you can try to avoid guys who have only performed (or stayed healthy) in contract years. But the cap only keeps going up, and you gotta use every tool at your disposal to build a team.

I do agree, It's a question of subtle balance between both type of players, and a difficult one for sure. You must be able to find the ones who will deserve their big pay check (few) and also find the ones who will outperform their contracts. I wish the very best to Peters and his crew.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Lol, no. 

Cousin's is projected to get around 40 million a year on a 3 year deal.  He is coming off a torn Achillies tendon in a game on or about Oct. 29th/30th of last year.  He's soon to be 36 in August.  I know he's passed for over 4K years the past 3 years before he got hurt last year but he's not worth it and furthermore, Peters said he would use FA as a supplement.  He first and foremost uses the draft to build his team.  I don't think you will see Adam Peters spend BIG money like that on FAs  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kirk>>>Goeff and it would be kind of funny to see him come back and win a SB as soon as Dan is gone.

NFL script writers would love that.

Without looking it up has that ever been done in any major sport? Where a guy leaves through FA then comes back also through FA and wins the title… wow a story book tale for sure if that happened 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Without looking it up has that ever been done in any major sport? Where a guy leaves through FA then comes back also through FA and wins the title… wow a story book tale for sure if that happened 

This guy

image.jpeg.88a56d5410fdf6d3f1c2ee4dd1cf779a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I stopped paying attention after the Arenas/Butler/Jamison era in DC!

Mine is just the lack thereof of Defense, I can’t stand a 135-133 score and where you can be down by double digits in the 3rd quarter and still come back and win the game…. Give me COLLEGE BB all day… I love a good 64-60 game