Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

20 hours ago, philibusters said:

I am still on the Rivera train and would like to see him back in 2024, but I agree this offseason was disappointing in the sense we didn't address two of our three most obvious needs strongly.  Yes they did make moves with the O-Line bringing in Andrew Wylie and Nick Gates, but neither guy really moves the needle and Gates has been injured each of the past two years.   They also let Schweitzer go which didn't make sense to me (though getting rid of Turner, Norwell, and Roullier did make sense).  And while the guys they got in the draft could develop into starters, they had a shot in the second round to grab either of Dawand Jones or O'Cyrus Torrence and passed on both and to get a nickel back.   Then they passed on Jones again in the third.  And while I think Quan Martin will likely be starter quality, there is a possibility he is available at 97.  One of the podcasts I listen to mentioned that one of the themes of the draft was nickle corners went late starting with Brian Branch falling all the way to 45, but then lots of other nickel players fell like Antonio Johnson I think to the 5th and Anthony Johnson Jr. to the 7th so even if Quan Martin is not there at 97 which is a real possibility there were decent options in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds for players who could play that role.  Then the other position they failed to address was LB.  They let Cole Holcomb go and bring in Cody Barton.   It can definitely be argued that is a lateral move, but to the extent the move is an up or down move, it probably was a down move for the unit.   There have been a couple decent options that were fairly cheap at LB that signed else already (see link below) and now our options seem fairly limited.  So I agree its been a lackluster (though not terrible offseason)  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/inside-linebacker/

Much like buying a house, you don't splash out on a new car or a dream vacation before the deal's closed. That's the kind of situation we were in this year, playing it safe and holding back. But hang in there, things should pick up next year.

29 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I like Quan Martin enough, but when I go back to this draft, that pick is where I struggle to agree with the reasoning.   We needed O-Line for that second pick and we had four good options available.  The ubertalented, but terrible attitude Dawand Jones, O'Cyrus Torrence, Cody Mauch, and Jon Michael Schmitz.   Instead we went with Quan Martin.  Maybe he is the best player of those 5.  But even if he is, after taking Forbes in the first round and geting Cameron Dantzler, O-Line was a bigger need than DB.  Further Nickel backs are not that expensive in free agency.  You can get a player like Bobby McCain for for 4 million. Whereas getting even a cheaper Tackle is going to cost you 8 million or so per year and getting a cheaper guard would be around 6 million per year.  We picked a player at a position where we can get somebody in free agency a bit cheaper and thus the surplus from the draft pick will be cheaper.   Plus with hindsight we know slot corners fell pretty hard in this draft so there were lots of options available on day 3.

Now if Quan Martin balls out and is an clear upgrade of McCain, I will like the pick.  But if he is plays at a Bobby McCain level, but just provides a little bit more versatility, it was a bad pick because you can get a proven guy in free agency to do that fairly cheaply.  And we missed a good opportunity to upgrade our O-Line.

Martin is my biggest “what if?” As well. He’s not a bad player. I don’t think he’s great but guys grow. He has a good skill set and is aggressive so I think he’s at the very least a decent starter. Something to be said for that. But I would have loved to see us take Mauch there.

We’ll see how it all plays out.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big Jalin Hyatt fan so that's a tough one for me to agree on. 

Fair but Hyatt is a 3rd round pick - so was Terry of course - and he may prove to be a great pick, he may just be a guy.  But in terms of approach to addressing a unit with holes thats no different to us using a 3rd round pick on Stromberg and a 4th round pick on Daniels.

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Fair but Hyatt is a 3rd round pick - so was Terry of course - and he may prove to be a great pick, he may just be a guy.  But in terms of approach to addressing a unit with holes thats no different to us using a 3rd round pick on Stromberg and a 4th round pick on Daniels.

I agree with most of your points on the topic.  But I gather we will stay in disagreement about the Giants.  Their approach feels different to me. 

Hyatt had some late first round hype. He was a surprise drop to the third. 

Stromberg was one of my favorite players in the draft.  But even by his own admission, his agent, told him he could go anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th round. From what i've gathered Stromberg likely doesn't even play this season.   I'd bet we will see a lot of Hyatt. 

Darren Waller, is a former pro bowl player.   Yes he's missed some games and durability is in question.  But he's a big time player.  We didn't bring a player like that to the O line. 

Their signing of Paris Campbell and Crowder are equivalent though of the Gates-Wylie signings.    But while we let some of our depth go -- Rouillier, Schweitzer and Norwell (Norwell headed out soon).  They kept their depth -- Slayton -- Shepard.

Giants got a lot of praise for their draft.  Granted it might not mean anything in the end.  but I am in agreement with the national consensus that their draft at least on paper looks really good.

https://www.giants.com/news/experts-grade-giants-2023-nfl-draft-class-joe-schoen-deonte-banks

Grade: A-

"I mentioned this Friday night, but the Giants landed three of my top 45 prospects in the first two days of the draft. That's impressive stuff from general manager Joe Schoen. Cornerback Deonte Banks (24) was consistently impressive when I watched his 2022 tape, and he stuck to receivers in man coverage. He is both experienced (he started eight games as a freshman) and toolsy (42-inch vertical leap at the combine). We can slot him in as a starter on the other side of Adoree' Jackson.

"John Michael Schmitz (57) is my top-ranked center, and he fills a huge hole. He's going to start as a rookie. Coach Brian Daboll helped make a trade up for wideout Jalin Hyatt (73), whom I had rated as the No. 44 player in this class. You might remember Hyatt from his five touchdown catches against Alabama, and he can fly out of the slot. I was surprised he was still available in Round 3. I like running back Eric Gray (172) as a potential steal on Day 3; he isn't a burner, but he can be a one-cut back behind Saquon Barkley. Safety Gervarrius Owens is an intriguing flier in Round 7. This class is lifted up by those first three picks, which all fit positions of need. Nice job by Schoen and Daboll."

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I like Quan the player and I think he'll be a good starter, but us not picking JMS just feels like a huge miss for us.

Going to the Giants hurts even more

I like Strom and I think he'll be in the league for a while, but he isn't playing this year without injury and we don't have much of a starter in front of him. 

JMS locks center down for a decade and becomes a team strength.

I don't feel like our Oline was strengthened at all and may even be worse. The Giants WR room definitely is improved (as is their Oline)

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Darren Waller, is a former pro bowl player.   Yes he's missed some games and durability is in question.  But he's a big time player.  We didn't bring a player like that to the O line. 

I do agree this is a point of difference between the Giants approach and our approach. Its more of a higher risk move with more upside.

Apart from that though I would argue the Giants approach to their receiver group has been pretty much the same approach we have taken to the O'line, decent solid vets and mid round picks they hope will contribute. I think what you are really arguing is they have executed that strategy better than we have - or perhaps the results of that execution are better. Which may well be the case.

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like Strom and I think he'll be in the league for a while, but he isn't playing this year without injury and we don't have much of a starter in front of him. 

I think we are in good shape at C. Gates was very solid at C when he played for the Giants, his issue was injury. Larsen also played really week when he played last year before he got hurt. I think Stromberg develops into the starter at some point but we have at least solid starter potential ahead of him.

• Like 1

If Quan can be a true single high free safety, I think taking him in the second is worth it. We haven’t had one of those guys since arguably ST21. These guys are not easy to find.

On Mauch, you have to consider the level of competition he was facing. NDSU is the Alabama of their league and they get all the best players. For comparison sake, Dillon Radunz was a predraft darling who was also taken in the second round who has been a bust for the Titans. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, method man said:

If Quan can be a true single high free safety, I think taking him in the second is worth it. We haven’t had one of those guys since arguably ST21. These guys are not easy to find.

On Mauch, you have to consider the level of competition he was facing. NDSU is the Alabama of their league and they get all the best players. For comparison sake, Dillon Radunz was a predraft darling who was also taken in the second round who has been a bust for the Titans. 

Mauch is an IOL. Radunz an OT. Very different. 

Quan wasn’t drafted to be a single high safety and, in my opinion, if he was… we really ****ed up. That’s not his strength. He’s a run defender and slot cover guy who CAN play zone. But he doesn’t range very well. 

If I’m guessing I think the lineup is:

FS: Forrest

SS: Curl

BN: Martin

ILB: Davis

ILB: Barton

Those are the spine coverage defenders. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I do agree this is a point of difference between the Giants approach and our approach. Its more of a higher risk move with more upside.

Apart from that though I would argue the Giants approach to their receiver group has been pretty much the same approach we have taken to the O'line, decent solid vets and mid round picks they hope will contribute. I think what you are really arguing is they have executed that strategy better than we have - or perhaps the results of that execution are better. Which may well be the case.

I think we are in good shape at C. Gates was very solid at C when he played for the Giants, his issue was injury. Larsen also played really week when he played last year before he got hurt. I think Stromberg develops into the starter at some point but we have at least solid starter potential ahead of him.

We'll see about center. I still think it was a missed opportunity to make the position a strength.

Gates was not really a "very solid" starter. He's pretty meh. Wylie is a bad tackle and decent guard.

The Waller move, feels a bit like us gambling on Thomas getting his speed back. Waller is much better if both are 100%, but we'll see.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We'll see about center. I still think it was a missed opportunity to make the position a strength.

Gates was not really a "very solid" starter. He's pretty meh. Wylie is a bad tackle and decent guard.

The Waller move, feels a bit like us gambling on Thomas getting his speed back. Waller is much better if both are 100%, but we'll see.

Gates got a 60 overall PFF grade. Now PFF is not the be all and end all - but thats an average starter grade.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big Jalin Hyatt fan so that's a tough one for me to agree on. 

Same. Draft man crush. Giants may not have been the best landing place for him though.

17 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We really thinking that Stromberg doesn’t see the field this year? 

I think he starts week one. We brought Gates in to do that job, but in my opinion EB picked his own guy via the draft. Gates will start at guard IMO.

26 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We really thinking that Stromberg doesn’t see the field this year? 

I think he will end up starting. Might not start immediately but I think he will be the starter before the end of the season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think he will end up starting. Might not start immediately but I think he will be the starter before the end of the season. 

I agree. I think the dude is gonna to end up being one of the steals in the draft.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Gates got a 60 overall PFF grade. Now PFF is not the be all and end all - but thats an average starter grade.

We paid Gates top back up money. So that's a plus.

28 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That's my guess. With Gates kicking over to Guard as Cosmi/Paul/Daniels/etc get banged up.

Rivera's been touting position flex. He paid someone top backup money because of that. If we actually use position flex to keep guys fresh as the season wears on by giving some a week off here and there then it's a signing that's cheap.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wylie is a bad tackle and decent guard.

I could be mistaken. Wasn't his pass protection numbers pretty good, and his run blocking better in the playoffs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Mauch is an IOL. Radunz an OT. Very different. 

Quan wasn’t drafted to be a single high safety and, in my opinion, if he was… we really ****ed up. That’s not his strength. He’s a run defender and slot cover guy who CAN play zone. But he doesn’t range very well. 

If I’m guessing I think the lineup is:

FS: Forrest

SS: Curl

BN: Martin

ILB: Davis

ILB: Barton

Those are the spine coverage defenders. 

Both guys were tackles at NDSU. To your point, Radunz was tried out as a tackle but the Titans shifted him inside and they list him on the depth chart as a guard, where he has struggled as well. The difference is that Mauch is penciled in from the start as a guard. My point still holds. Take a look at this list of NDSU draftees - I don't see anyone who has really outperformed their draft position. All of these guys have, at best, performed to their draft position (such as Joe Haeg) but most of them are underperformers it seems

You're probably right on Martin's role ultimately. I had heard talk about him as a single high on podcasts, which is why I threw it out there. What gets me is that they supposedly want Curl playing BN less due to the wear and tear but Martin is even smaller.

11 minutes ago, method man said:

Both guys were tackles at NDSU. To your point, Radunz was tried out as a tackle but the Titans shifted him inside and they list him on the depth chart as a guard, where he has struggled as well. The difference is that Mauch is penciled in from the start as a guard. My point still holds. Take a look at this list of NDSU draftees - I don't see anyone who has really outperformed their draft position. All of these guys have, at best, performed to their draft position (such as Joe Haeg) but most of them are underperformers it seems

You're probably right on Martin's role ultimately. I had heard talk about him as a single high on podcasts, which is why I threw it out there. What gets me is that they supposedly want Curl playing BN less due to the wear and tear but Martin is even smaller.

Mauch played G, C and T at NDSU. Was recruited as a TE if I remember right.

Edited by KDawg
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mauch played G, C and T at NDSU. Was recruited as a TE if I remember right.

He was recruited as a TE but didn’t he take most of his snaps the past couple seasons at tackle? (I don’t have access to a PFF breakdown of snaps)

41 minutes ago, method man said:

He was recruited as a TE but didn’t he take most of his snaps the past couple seasons at tackle? (I don’t have access to a PFF breakdown of snaps)

If I recall you are correct he was recruited as a TE and played some there early on. Later played some RG, RT and mostly LT the last 2 years. I really likes him at 47 for this team. He could fill at swing if need be and start at G. My only question with him would be, any chance he would be too light at LG (which is what we really needed)? 

They had a great look at him at the Senior Bowl and let him sell his wares at 4 OL positions. He had a dominating week of practices, quite the mauler

• Like 1

Mauch will probably have a few decent years as a rotational guard. He was a fun draft prospect, but that's probably it.

Strom will probably end up starting, because he's got guys with injuries ahead of him. He was conceptually a late round center only prospect. 

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Mauch will probably have a few decent years as a rotational guard. He was a fun draft prospect, but that's probably it.

Strom will probably end up starting, because he's got guys with injuries ahead of him. He was conceptually a late round center only prospect. 

Mauch might surprise people.  Will see.   If I recall he has the highest Wonderlic score among the O lineman or close enough.  I was listened to Ross Tucker who played the spot highlighting heavily how having smarts and understanding schemes is so critical to that spot.  Mauch was able to adjust to whatever was thrown at him at the Senior Bowl.  Mauch also plays with oomph-nasty that's hard to coach, you either got it or you don't.

But I am not unhappy with Quan Martin, he made my guys list.  He was one of my favs in the draft lol as was Mauch. 

As for Stromberg.  I'd consider starting him in their case.  I get the idea of having an experienced center to help a QB.   But if they want to run the ball?  Jay Gruden made the point that they should have drafted another TE who can block to help that cause.  Right now we arguably only have one good run blocking TE.  But the other thing is this was one of the worst run blocking units in the league last year.   Jusdging by PFF scores Whylie and Gates are just OK as run blockers.  So they did nothing to bolster this unit on that front.

Stromberg, aside from Cosmi likely would be their best run blocker in short order.  Stromberg is so sound in the run game -- combo blocks, follows his assignments well, he peels off his first combo block and then finds another guy to block on the same play.  Good player IMO.  High floor -- decent ceiling.

It wasn't just @KDawg and me and another person or two on the draft thread who were high on Stromberg.  Clearly, the team was.  And he does have some love from some other draft media types. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

The NFC East is loaded, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if all four teams make the postseason in 2023.

But there are levels, and the Eagles’ and Cowboys’ talented rosters signify it might be a two-team race for the division title.

Having proven quarterbacks in Jalen Hurts and Dak Prescott certainly helps those two teams maintain competitive rosters, but the Giants made many notable offseason moves (including the deal with Daniel Jones) that should keep them in the mix for the division crown.

The Commanders had a quiet offseason (well, besides the pending owner change, which is a plus), but they have an intriguing roster with an abundance of playmakers on both sides of the football.

Let’s examine what could be the best division in the NFL after free agency and the draft. Here’s how we see the NFC East rosters, from worst to best.

4. Washington Commanders

There’s plenty to like about the Commanders’ roster, but the decision to settle on Sam Howell as the starting quarterback might hold this team back in 2023. On the other hand, perhaps Howell can be a quality game manager. And there’s nowhere to go but up after the disastrous experiment with Carson Wentz last season and the brief one-game stint with Ryan Fitzpatrick the year before.

Howell, a 2022 fifth-round pick, will have a strong receiving corps, with Terry McLaurin, Jahan Dotson and Curtis Samuel, and a reliable rushing attack, with Brian Robinson Jr. and Antonio Gibson. Having Eric Bieniemy as the offensive coordinator will also help with the development of Howell, who went 11–19 for 169 yards and one touchdown during his starting debut in last year’s regular-season finale vs. the Cowboys.

Washington added right tackle Andrew Wylie in free agency, but that might not be enough for an offensive line that was subpar last season. The Commanders drafted center Ricky Stromberg, a third-round pick, and offensive guard Braeden Daniels, a fourth-round pick.

Coach Ron Rivera’s defense has a dominant front seven, with defensive tackles Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen, plus edge rushers Montez Sweat and Chase Young (who’s entering a contract year after the team declined his fifth-year option). But this secondary is plenty inexperienced, and time will tell if the Commanders chose right in selecting cornerback Emmanuel Forbes and defensive back Jartavius Martin as their first two picks in the draft.

Even if Howell is good enough to keep this team in the mix, Rivera will probably need more than that in a stacked division.

3. New York Giants

Quarterback Daniel Jones improved enough last season for the Giants to sign him to a four-year, $160 million contract extension. There’s plenty of pressure on Jones to deliver after the hefty investment—and there’s no longer the excuse that he doesn’t have any weapons.

Jones led the Giants to their first playoff appearance in six years during the 2022 season.

The Giants traded for tight end Darren Waller, signed wide receiver Parris Campbell and drafted wide receiver Jalin Hyatt in the third round. Jones is missing a legit No. 1 wideout, but he’s no longer lacking depth at the position, with Darius Slayton, Sterling Shepard, Wan’Dale Robinson and Isaiah Hodgins also on the roster. A year after having the training wheels on within coach Brian Daboll’s system, Jones might be pushing the ball vertically more this season with his many downfield threats. (Hyatt, Slayton and Campbell all have recorded a 40-yard dash time of 4.40 seconds or less.)

Running back Saquon Barkley is searching for a long-term contract commitment after a bounce-back 2022 season, but he’ll still be around in New York to make life easier for Jones after getting hit with the one-year franchise tag. The offensive line will need better play from ’22 first-round pick Evan Neal, the starting right tackle who received an offense grade of 41.8 from Pro Football Focus last season. The Giants addressed their need at center by drafting John Michael Schmitz in the second round, but offensive guard might be an issue with unproven and inconsistent players on the depth chart.

The Giants have a talented defense, with Pro Bowl defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence, free-agent acquisition Bobby Okereke (the linebacker who recorded 151 total tackles for the Colts last season) and 2022 first-round edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux (who recorded four sacks and 13 quarterback hits last season). If cornerback Deonte Banks, this year’s first-round selection, makes an immediate impact, the Giants’ defense might compare to the units in Dallas and Philadelphia.

New York improved its roster this offseason, but it might not be good enough to win the NFC East.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The NFC East is loaded, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if all four teams make the postseason in 2023.

But there are levels, and the Eagles’ and Cowboys’ talented rosters signify it might be a two-team race for the division title.

Having proven quarterbacks in Jalen Hurts and Dak Prescott certainly helps those two teams maintain competitive rosters, but the Giants made many notable offseason moves (including the deal with Daniel Jones) that should keep them in the mix for the division crown.

The Commanders had a quiet offseason (well, besides the pending owner change, which is a plus), but they have an intriguing roster with an abundance of playmakers on both sides of the football.

Let’s examine what could be the best division in the NFL after free agency and the draft. Here’s how we see the NFC East rosters, from worst to best.

4. Washington Commanders

There’s plenty to like about the Commanders’ roster, but the decision to settle on Sam Howell as the starting quarterback might hold this team back in 2023. On the other hand, perhaps Howell can be a quality game manager. And there’s nowhere to go but up after the disastrous experiment with Carson Wentz last season and the brief one-game stint with Ryan Fitzpatrick the year before.

Howell, a 2022 fifth-round pick, will have a strong receiving corps, with Terry McLaurin, Jahan Dotson and Curtis Samuel, and a reliable rushing attack, with Brian Robinson Jr. and Antonio Gibson. Having Eric Bieniemy as the offensive coordinator will also help with the development of Howell, who went 11–19 for 169 yards and one touchdown during his starting debut in last year’s regular-season finale vs. the Cowboys.

Washington added right tackle Andrew Wylie in free agency, but that might not be enough for an offensive line that was subpar last season. The Commanders drafted center Ricky Stromberg, a third-round pick, and offensive guard Braeden Daniels, a fourth-round pick.

Coach Ron Rivera’s defense has a dominant front seven, with defensive tackles Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen, plus edge rushers Montez Sweat and Chase Young (who’s entering a contract year after the team declined his fifth-year option). But this secondary is plenty inexperienced, and time will tell if the Commanders chose right in selecting cornerback Emmanuel Forbes and defensive back Jartavius Martin as their first two picks in the draft.

Even if Howell is good enough to keep this team in the mix, Rivera will probably need more than that in a stacked division.

3. New York Giants

Quarterback Daniel Jones improved enough last season for the Giants to sign him to a four-year, $160 million contract extension. There’s plenty of pressure on Jones to deliver after the hefty investment—and there’s no longer the excuse that he doesn’t have any weapons.

Jones led the Giants to their first playoff appearance in six years during the 2022 season.

The Giants traded for tight end Darren Waller, signed wide receiver Parris Campbell and drafted wide receiver Jalin Hyatt in the third round. Jones is missing a legit No. 1 wideout, but he’s no longer lacking depth at the position, with Darius Slayton, Sterling Shepard, Wan’Dale Robinson and Isaiah Hodgins also on the roster. A year after having the training wheels on within coach Brian Daboll’s system, Jones might be pushing the ball vertically more this season with his many downfield threats. (Hyatt, Slayton and Campbell all have recorded a 40-yard dash time of 4.40 seconds or less.)

Running back Saquon Barkley is searching for a long-term contract commitment after a bounce-back 2022 season, but he’ll still be around in New York to make life easier for Jones after getting hit with the one-year franchise tag. The offensive line will need better play from ’22 first-round pick Evan Neal, the starting right tackle who received an offense grade of 41.8 from Pro Football Focus last season. The Giants addressed their need at center by drafting John Michael Schmitz in the second round, but offensive guard might be an issue with unproven and inconsistent players on the depth chart.

The Giants have a talented defense, with Pro Bowl defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence, free-agent acquisition Bobby Okereke (the linebacker who recorded 151 total tackles for the Colts last season) and 2022 first-round edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux (who recorded four sacks and 13 quarterback hits last season). If cornerback Deonte Banks, this year’s first-round selection, makes an immediate impact, the Giants’ defense might compare to the units in Dallas and Philadelphia.

New York improved its roster this offseason, but it might not be good enough to win the NFC East.

Ah another preview being down on Howell.🙄Not saying the kid is gonna turn into a HoFer but damn give him a chance.

• Like 1