Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What’s The Reason Behind Gibbs Not Getting The Respect Other Great Coaches Get?

No Nonsense

They were just discussing, is Andy Reid on the Mount Rushmore of coaching and the panelists spewed a bunch of coaches and not one even mentioned Gibbs, who has one more Super Bowl than Reid. Gibbs also didn’t have a Patrick Mahomes either, but that’s another story. 

I don’t think Gibbs get enough credit for winning three Super Bowls with three QB’s that aren’t going into the hall of fame. Virtually every other coach with more than one Super Bowl, had a hall of fame QB. If Gibbs wins Super Bowl 18, he’d be looked at in a totally different light. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

I can see 2 reasons why Gibbs isn't mentioned as one of the greatest NFL coaches ever.

1) He is a reserved personality. Never generated a lot of attention for himself on the national scene. Was always happy to let everyone else in the org get attention. Meekly loved the Lord, etc.

2) He might have been a victim of what made him one of the best. After Joe T., none of his quarterbacks were particularly engaging on national scene. He won with a lot of quiet, no-name type players. The Hogs remain the most enduring personalities at least tangentially related to the org. 

Bonus:

3) Kind of relates to #1, Joe took care of his business in-house. If he had a problem with a player, or a coach, or was disappointed in the team's performance in general, he kept any fiery or spicy talk behind closed doors, away from the media. He rarely gave the media much to blow up into big stories.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Joe Gibbs is without question the greatest NFL head coach ever.  Should not even be debatable.  What he accomplished in his first 10 years will never be replicated in the NFL again.  As the years and decades roll by this becomes more and more evident to me, and it should be more evident to those outside the organization and fanbase. 

Literally every other Coach to win multiple Super Bowls had the same “franchise QB” for all of them.  Gibbs had Theismann, Williams, and Rypien and a revolving cast at RB.  Also, only three of the Hogs were present for all three Championships.  The team that won the first Super Bowl was largely built completely different than the team that won the last.  The game plan was different.  Two of those Super Bowl wins came in strike seasons, one of which required him to coach up “the replacements” and they won all three games including a game against the Cowboys where most of their starters had returned.  

He then comes back for his second run and manages to take us to the playoffs twice in the Snyder era, something no other Washington coach has done before or since.  Both with 5 and 7 game win streaks to end the season, the second of which came after our most beloved player of the Snyder era was taken from us.  

Joe Jackson Gibbs is the best NFL head coach that ever lived. 

Period.  End of debate.  

• Like 11
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 10

42 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

Joe Gibbs is without question the greatest NFL head coach ever.  Should not even be debatable.  What he accomplished in his first 10 years will never be replicated in the NFL again.  As the years and decades roll by this becomes more and more evident to me, and it should be more evident to those outside the organization and fanbase. 

Literally every other Coach to win multiple Super Bowls had the same “franchise QB” for all of them.  Gibbs had Theismann, Williams, and Rypien and a revolving cast at RB.  Also, only three of the Hogs were present for all three Championships.  The team that won the first Super Bowl was largely built completely different than the team that won the last.  The game plan was different.  Two of those Super Bowl wins came in strike seasons, one of which required him to coach up “the replacements” and they won all three games including a game against the Cowboys where most of their starters had returned.  

He then comes back for his second run and manages to take us to the playoffs twice in the Snyder era, something no other Washington coach has done before or since.  Both with 5 and 7 game win streaks to end the season, the second of which came after our most beloved player of the Snyder era was taken from us.  

Joe Jackson Gibbs is the best NFL head coach that ever lived. 

Period.  End of debate.  

I always preface this argument with "I know I have a biased opinion" and then pretty much say exactly what you just said but I also add something that maybe shouldn't effect his status as the greatest nfl coach ever but I think it does because it almost unquestionably proves he's the greatest coach/team builder ever.

Only person in history inducted into the hall of fame in two sports.

You could argue his nascar career has been more successful than his football career.

He's beyond a doubt one of and probably the best motivator and team builder in sports history.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I know over the years a great friend of mine who happens to be a Ravens fan… but before that when Bmore didn’t have a team he was a Giants fan… he has used the excuse that of his 3 SB trophies as HC 2 of them came in Strike Shorten seasons… but the 87’ season they still played 15 games that season so was it really shorten.  So maybe just maybe a lot of others feel that way too… honestly I think it’s more he’s a humble and gentle type of guy and isn’t brash or self promoting and never was even with the likes of Parcells and others during the same spans who were more vocal and outspoken… unfortunately being humble for some reason always get confused for being weak or not strong… Gibbs imho is neither of those things imho…

44 minutes ago, ashlynskins said:

he has used the excuse that of his 3 SB trophies as HC 2 of them came in Strike Shorten seasons… but the 87’ season they still played 15 games that season so was it really shorten.

For me, the fact that they were strike shortened seasons only enhances the argument of his greatness.  The man held his team together in 2 abnormal years, and kept them focused on the task at hand.  I already mentioned…managed to coach a replacement team to a 3-0 record in ‘87.  

The only real knock against him is the epic fail against the Raiders in Super Bowl 18.  The game might have been different, if nothing else much more competitive, if there had been a curfew the night before.  He has admitted that was a mistake and that is why they did things different afterwards.  If they won that game there would literally be zero excuse or argument for anyone outside of Washington not crowning Gibbs as the greatest of all time.  

Edited by Commander PK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the Redskins of the Gibbs era suffered because they weren't as flashy as other teams. I've heard, i swear a thousand times now, people (ie radio hosts, NFL analysts, ESPN personalities) the 80s time and say "the great teams of that era, the 49ers, Giants and Bears..." and I always either yell or grumble to myself "We had as many titles as those last two teams COMBINED".

I just think you had Montana, LT and the Super Bowl Shuffle teams and that's what's remembered. Anyone who has any knowledge about the NFL you could easily bring up what the Redskins did and they would accept it and likely apologize for not thinking of Washington, but the immediate recollection of the era doesn't pop with the Redskins teams, which is unfair and ridiculous, obviously. Gibbs suffers from that. 

To me, the Mt. Rushmore is Gibbs, Lombardi and Belichick and then a big debate over the final spot. Could be Halas, Shula, Landry, Walsh. 

• Like 6

To answer your question though I think the biggest thing is longevity combined with a perceived lack of success in his second stint.

He only coached ten years the first go around. 

Had he coached 20 plus like almost all of the others on that list he would have gotten 300 plus wins and most likely 5 or more superbowl wins and it'd be almost un-debatable He was the goat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

What? They went to three Super Bowls in a six year period, winning two.

Yup, and to reiterate with two largely different teams. 

Of all the teams that have won multiple championships, which of them other than Washington has won two Super Bowls with two different starting QB’s and RB’s within a 5 season span?  Not to mention the NFC Championship in 1983.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ashlynskins said:

he has used the excuse that of his 3 SB trophies as HC 2 of them came in Strike Shorten seasons… but the 87’ season they still played 15 games that season so was it really shorten. 

Three of the 1987 games were played with replacement players.

But the argument I use against the people who discount 1982 and 1987 is what the team did in the seasons either prior or following the SB. The 83 Skins followed up the Lombardi year with a 14-2 season and another SB trip. The 1986 Skins went 12-4 and to the NFCCG. A team like the 2000 Giants, who sandwiched their SB appearance with two 7-9 seasons, I think can be viewed as more fluky.

Who did the panelists list as coaches on their Mt Rushmore?  What also makes it difficult is comparing the pre and post-salary cap eras.

8 hours ago, hail2skins said:

But the argument I use against the people who discount 1982 and 1987 is what the team did in the seasons either prior or following the SB. The 83 Skins followed up the Lombardi year with a 14-2 season and another SB trip. The 1986 Skins went 12-4 and to the NFCCG. A team like the 2000 Giants, who sandwiched their SB appearance with two 7-9 seasons, I think can be viewed as more fluky.

and this is a great argument.  With proper sleep and less partying the 1983 team probably wins the Super Bowl.  Had they won that game, I think they would have be seen in the same light as the 1991 team.  They were just as dominant right up until the end, and set an NFL record at the time for points scored in a season.  

8 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Three of the 1987 games were played with replacement players.

Who did the panelists list as coaches on their Mt Rushmore?  What also makes it difficult is comparing the pre and post-salary cap eras.

I saw it...they were talking very infomally, without giving it much thought, asking if Andy Reid would go on the Mt. Rushmore of NFL head coaches if he won the game. Some of the names thrown out were Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Belicheck and Shula....all good choices for sure. Gibbs was mentioned by none of them. Neither was Chuck Noll, Tom Landry or George Halas from what I remember. 

25 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

and this is a great argument.  With proper sleep and less partying the 1983 team probably wins the Super Bowl.  Had they won that game, I think they would have be seen in the same light as the 1991 team.  They were just as dominant right up until the end, and set an NFL record at the time for points scored in a season.  

The 83 and 91 teams are too of the most dominant teams in NFL history for sure. Juggernauts, both built by Gibbs and Beathard.

16 hours ago, Commander PK said:

For me, the fact that they were strike shortened seasons only enhances the argument of his greatness.  The man held his team together in 2 abnormal years, and kept them focused on the task at hand.  I already mentioned…managed to coach a replacement team to a 3-0 record in ‘87.  

The only real knock against him is the epic fail against the Raiders in Super Bowl 18.  The game might have been different, if nothing else much more competitive, if there had been a curfew the night before.  He has admitted that was a mistake and that is why they did things different afterwards.  If they won that game there would literally be zero excuse or argument for anyone outside of Washington not crowning Gibbs as the greatest of all time.  

Joey T. should have been on curfew the night before.  He was not focused on football that night, unfortunately.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Gibbs gets plenty of respect. He made the NFL all 100 team. Just because two knuckleheads on ESPN don't mention him doesn't mean he isn't respected.

And the '91 Redskins are always brought up as one of the GOAT teams.

It’s not just those knuckleheads on ESPN. Gibbs is rarely brought up no matter who’s talking. Right now, Andy Reid is perceived as a better coach and I have a feeling most would consider Parcells a better coach even though Gibbs has one more Super Bowl than both and he didn’t have a hall of fame QB. 

• Like 1