Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reasons for premature evaluation....number 14 will shock you

Riggo-toni

Most analysts love the cliche that it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft...and even though that's mostly true, let's try and evaluate the Mayhew era so far.  We will have a new owner and if we don't make the playoffs in 2023 I think it's safe to say Rivera is gone. So the next question is should we also replace the FO.  There have been a number of misses in free agency as well as a few hits, but ultimately the long term success relies on draft success. Soooooo.... let's review

• Round 1, pick 19 – Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky - I wanted Darrisaw here.  Would that have been better? If he can stay healthy, yes, but I'm not sure. He is a franchise LT, which almost never falls that low in the draft. Still, Davis is now looking like a solid pick, so I give this pick an A-
  • Round 2, pick 51 – Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas - He's never going to be a LT; in fact he's almost certain to spend his career at guard. Still, getting a decent starter in the 2nd round is fine.
  • Round 3, pick 74 – Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota - as long as Cam Kurl and Forrest are in the game he looks good. Decent pick with a bright future.
  • Round 3, pick 82 – Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina - meh... If only we had taken the other Brown (Amon Ra).
  • Round 4, pick 124 – John Bates, TE, Boise State - Meh...
  • Round 5, pick 163 – Darrick Forrest, S, Cincinnati - 5th round steal
  • Round 6, pick 225 (from PHI) – Camaron Cheeseman, LS, Michigan - Snapperhead.
  • Round 7, pick 240 (From SF through PHI) – William Bradley-King, DE, Baylor
  • Round 7, pick 246 – Shaka Toney, DE, Penn State
  • Round 7, pick 258 (from KC through MIA) – Dax Milne, WR, BYU

I can't remember if those 7th round DEs are still on the team. Milne managed to hang on for another year, but hopefully we find a better replacement in 23

WR Jahan Dotson 

Desmond Howard (Gibbs traded 2 firsts to get him), Michael Westbroken, Rod 50-50 Gardner, Josh Doctson... Hard to believe, but this is the first good WR we have drafted in the first round since Art Monk.  Made some incredible catches.

DT Phidarian Mathis TBD.  Let's wait until we know if he can stay healthy. My beef with this pick is we cut Ioan man and let Settle walk to save cap space, which forced us to take a DT in the 2nd rather than OL

RB Brian Robinson Excellent pick. If he hadn't been shot, I think we win one more game and make the playoffs.

S Percy Butler Meh

QB Sam Howell - This pick may go the furthest in the final grade of this draft. Definitely worth a 5th rounder based on potential, but not enough sample size.

TE Cole Turner Meh...I am more excited about UDFA Armani Rodgers.

OL Chris Paul Looked ok in limited action, so not bad for a 7th

CB Christain Holmes see above. Actually looked awful in his first start, but contributed on ST and improved.

• Like 1

From low round and below I have liked what I have seen from Forrest, Ridgeway and A. Rodgers.

D-Fo is rounding out nicely and has gotten considerably better. He still needs quality support behind him, but if he continues to grow that could change and allow our D a greater ability to disguise and swap roles.

Ridgeway is scary effective in limited snaps, a real lop-sided amount of impact plays considering a tiny role. Every team also needs some brain-dead, go-get-football monsters to round out the roster too.

A. Rodg seemed to be Turner's ideal TE. He moved like pre-injury Logan. I can't say he will get the same spotlight in a new scheme and playcaller, but he did show a lil something when he was healthy and his number was called. I could 100% see him becoming a casualty of Turner's firing as the next guy may not value him in the same way and scheme ways to get the ball in his hands.

• Like 1