Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Brittney Griner freed in prisoner swap

Cooked Crack

Let me preface this by saying, if it were me, I'd want them to trade an arms dealer and anyone else for my freedom.  But as an observer, I dont know if I love an arms dealer for basketball player swap.  

But wasnt this arms dealer on the table from the beginning? Sounds like she twisted in the wind all this time until we changed our mind and took the original offer.  

• Like 3

Just now, justice98 said:

Let me preface this by saying, if it were me, I'd want them to trade an arms dealer and anyone else for my freedom.  But as an observer, I dont know if I love an arms dealer for basketball player swap.  

But wasnt this arms dealer on the table from the beginning? Sounds like she twisted in the wind all this time until we changed our mind and took the original offer.  

I'm glad she's home, and I'd do it again, but I'm pissed off at her for making us have to set loose a real bad guy to get her back.  On some level it must be how my dad felt about paying my inflated insurance bill after I cracked up his ride back in the day.  What a stupid, stupid thing to do.

• Like 2

Good post, @justice98. If I was personally involved, I would be ecstatic right now. I would want my government to give up anyone and anything to get either my loved one or me back. 

As a US citizen, I think this is ridiculous as far as a foreign policy decision. An athlete wrongly detained on a "drug" charge for a notorious arms dealer. They essentially fabricated a way to get their arms dealer back without having to give up a Marine. And we fell for it. 

In NFL terms, it would be like Jerry Jones claiming that one of Snyder's assistants offended him during a trip to Dallas, insisting that the only way to make it up him would be trade him would be trade Allen to the Cowboys for a conditional 7th, and Snyder saying "welp, what else can I do?" and complying...rather than saying "I'll give you Allen if you give me Micah Parsons, asshole" 

• Like 3

I hope our citizens who travel to a foreign antagonist country like Russia keeps it in the front of their heads that they need to follow their laws or suffer severe consequences. Griner is hugely lucky that she's a star basketball player, and not some regular person, who's government leveraged her freedom for an arms dealer that should be locked up here. Who knows what destruction this guy can foment. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to bring that up, but in a vacuum, I agree.  I just don't put professional athletes on a pedestal, doesn't matter if it was Griner or someone like Bryce Harper.  At the very least, we should have gotten both Griner and Whelan for Bout.

That being said, I'm glad she's coming home.

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I'm glad she's home, and I'd do it again, but I'm pissed off at her for making us have to set loose a real bad guy to get her back.  On some level it must be how my dad felt about paying my inflated insurance bill after I cracked up his ride back in the day.  What a stupid, stupid thing to do.

Don't be pissed off at her.  She was just trying to get home. 

And she's gonna feel guilty about Paul Whelan, I'd make a bet on that. 

23 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I agree. Not happy about it. Especially when there’s someone else sitting there that’s more deserving in my opinion. But, he’s not a basketball star so most people don’t know he exists.

I would have thought the most notorious arms dealer would have been worth both. 

it’s interesting what people consider victories. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

I like marijuana and imbibe regularly.  I would never, ever bring it with me on a trip to foreign country.  I wouldn't even use it if I was in one that had harsh penalties for it's use.  It was monumentally stupid what she did and she should feel guilty.  But I still support bringing her home.  It's ok to be angry with someone who puts you in a bad place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yeah, I'm not pissed at her. She didn't ask for any of this attention. I suppose she could have known better about the rules in Russia, but I would also assume many of us would or could have made a similar mistake. 

Hasn’t Bout already been in prison like 75% of his sentence?  

Also, I am still a little mad at Griner…don’t try to sneak pot into a dictatorship while they’re cold warring the west and bombing our allies.  It’s a monumentally stupid and selfish thing to do.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I'm not pissed at her. She didn't ask for any of this attention. I suppose she could have known better about the rules in Russia, but I would also assume many of us would or could have made a similar mistake. 

Well, I wouldn't....but I'm me.  And she had played there before, so she should've checked what she had in her luggage better. 

Just glad she's coming home.  Now, we need to get Paul back.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

I agree. Not happy about it. Especially when there’s someone else sitting there that’s more deserving in my opinion. But, he’s not a basketball star so most people don’t know he exists.

I would have thought the most notorious arms dealer would have been worth both. 

it’s interesting what people consider victories. 

Biden did say on his address something along the lines of that this wasn't a case of "either/or" when it came to BG vs. Whelan.  It sounded like Whelan was never on the table.

I'm happy that she's getting to come home, but I also think the trade was a bit lopsided.  Someone with weed for an arms dealer/killer?  It's apples and oranges.

I did see a post on twitter that said it's hard to take the Biden Administration seriously on gun control after this.  While I think that's a scorching hot take and don't totally agree, I do understand the thought process.  

I don’t even know if she actually broke the law. It’s not like it’s beyond Russia to make up charges. 

but I’d have a hard time trading the most notorious arms dealer for anyone who was willfully in a hostile country that’s known for this and isn’t known for a solid legal system.  Even if it was for both id have a hard time with that. 

bout isn’t even half way through his sentence. (Unless he got time served - sentenced to 25 years in 2012 so he’s 10 years in + time served whatever that is, maybe 4 years since he was arrested in 2008?)

it’s a political stunt. And not even a good one. Both people were willfully in a hostile country and the reason you’re advised not to be there happened. And we only got one of them? And we chose the WNBA star? good lord…

Now they’ll get to parade her around and make a big deal out of it, and that’s what I guess the administration and its fanboys want.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ah, this NBC article says it really was Whelan vs. BG.  So who knows.

A senior U.S. official told NBC News that the U.S. government had sought to have both Griner and Whelan released as part of a swap with the Kremlin, which wanted the return of Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer who has served 11 years of a 25-year sentence in the U.S. But the official said Russia has treated Whelan differently because he is an accused spy, and that the Kremlin gave the White House the choice of either Griner or Whelan — or none.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/family-paul-whelan-american-imprisoned-russia-says-warned-brittney-gri-rcna60732

• Thumb down 2

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm happy that she's getting to come home, but I also think the trade was a bit lopsided.  Someone with weed for an arms dealer/killer?  It's apples and oranges.

obviously Dan snyder was negotiating the trade

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Well, I wouldn't....but I'm me.  And she had played there before, so she should've checked what she had in her luggage better. 

Just glad she's coming home.  Now, we need to get Paul back.

Yeah, I likely wouldn't travel with anything like that either. I'm not her biggest fan...I'm just trying to say that we've all done stupid **** in our lives and if we would have happened to have been caught at the worst time possible, something like this could have happened to us. That's all. 

My larger point is that I don't pin the circus this has become on her so much as all the people turning this into a circus.