Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

5 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Nice thing is that Philly is still motivated to beat the Giants since they’re in a battle for home field advantage w the Vikes.

now, when we play demBois, hopefully they’re already down up.  9ers too

I have a feeling the Eagles won't be resting starters. Siriani seems like the kind of coach that is gonna play everyone and try to knock out a hated rival. 

With that said I also said the same regarding the Cowboys. Jerruh isn't gonna hand us an easy win, especially after him and Snyder had a falling out. If the Cowboys can knock us out, they're gonna go for it, even if they have nothing to technically play for.

Seahawks aren't that good and are still in regression mode. They struggled to beat a terrible Rams team that was missing Stafford, Kupp, and Donald. It wouldn't shock me if they lost to a fiesty Panthers team at home and I don't think they have much chance at all of beating the Chiefs or 49ers on the road. 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

****…….sucks for Jimmy G :( 

however, perhaps that makes our Christmas eve game easier? Brock purdy can’t possibly be good enough to help them continue winning, right? 

Their roster is absolutely loaded. Probably the most talented roster in the league when not factoring the QB. If Purdy is even Heinicke level they'd beat us. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I have a feeling the Eagles won't be resting starters. Siriani seems like the kind of coach that is gonna play everyone and try to knock out a hated rival. 

With that said I also said the same regarding the Cowboys. Jerruh isn't gonna hand us an easy win, especially after him and Snyder had a falling out. If the Cowboys can knock us out, they're gonna go for it, even if they have nothing to technically play for.

Could be very different situations though. If Eagles have clinched 1 seed and bye, siriani may not like the idea of resting his players for essentially three weeks. If Dallas is already locked into their seed, they know they play the next week— and it could even be a short week if their playoff game is Saturday (which they won’t know when the week 18 game starts). So much more likely they’d choose not to risk it. 

14 minutes ago, kleese said:

So with the Seattle win we fall out of the “of the playoffs started today” graphics— for a week at least. 

If either the Giants (Eagles) or Seahawks (Panthers) lose next week, we will overtake them in said graphic.

No matter what happens we will overtake the Giants if we beat them in two weeks. 

The game vs Giants won’t be a technical must-win but it will be pretty close. If we lose to fall to 7-6-1 and let’s say the Giants go to 8-5-1, they will essentially be two games ahead of us with three to go because they would own the tiebreaker. So it would become difficult (not impossible, Giants play Vikings after us) to catch them for sure. Our hope then would be the Seahawks collapse— after Carolina they have a very very tough three game stretch. So we’d still be alive with a loss to Giants, but the odds crater. It’s going to be a massive game no doubt. 

Watch those Lions too— the tie today helps because now they need to PASS our win total but they are playing well and lurking. More on that on the bye week version of who to root for next week. 

The Lions would need to win two of Vikings, Jets, and @ GB if we get a win against NYG, assuming they beat both Chicago and Carolina.

Can we get in at 8-8-1 with a Giants win.  The Seahawks/9ers likely get to 9 wins. Dallas would have 9 in this scenario.  I mention the Lions above.  One of Green Bay, Carolina, Atlanta, and Arizona would have to win out. 
The Giants would have to win 2 out of these 4 (Phi (2)/Min/Indy).

8-8-1 and the seventh seed is not that all unlikely.

The Lions are the team to watch out for. Their schedule down the stretch is pretty easy(Vikings next week but its at home and they played them super tough last time and Vikings are known for playing everyone really close). And they have the tie breaker on us and the Giants.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Lions are the team to watch out for. Their schedule down the stretch is pretty easy(Vikings next week but its at home and they played them super tough last time and Vikings are known for playing everyone really close). And they have the tie breaker on us and the Giants.

tie breaker irrelevant now unless Lions tie a game

8 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

We need to win 3 of the last 4 games 9.5 wins wont make it

If we beat the Giants, I think it’s likely one more win after that would do it. 

Just now, Ball Security said:

Yes it will.  Gives a scenario where it doesn’t.  (Assuming a win against the Giants).  I can think of two and they aren’t likely.

- If the Lions go at least 4-0-1 (lol) and the Giants go 3-2 and the Cowboys go at least 2-4

Or lol...

- If the Cowboys go at least 2-4 and two of the following three happen:

- the Seahawks go at least 3-2

- the 49ers go at least 2-3

- The Giants go at least 3-2

If we beat the Giants and win one more we’d finish 9-7-1

The Giants would need to then get to 10-6-1 to pass us. This means they’d need to go 3-1 in their other four games (Philly x2, at Minny, Colts). 

AND 

The Seahawks would need to go 3-2 over their final five 

The Lions could factor in this scenario but they’d need to go 5-0. 

For all realistic purposes… beat the Giants; win one more; playoffs likely. 

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

- If the Lions go at least 4-0-1 (lol) and the Giants go 3-2 and the Cowboys go at least 2-4

Or lol...

- If the Cowboys go at least 2-4 and two of the following three happen:

- the Seahawks go at least 3-2

- the 49ers go at least 2-3

- The Giants go at least 3-2

Yes, the two scenarios that would push us out would be the Lions running the table (or as you astutely put) go 4-0-1 or the Giants winning three games out of Philly twice, Minnesota, and Indy.

By the way, if Detroit runs the table, they’ll end the season 6-0. The last time they won 6 in a row? 1995.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think that’s really unlikely. The Eagles rested everyone in the finale last year after clinching a playoff berth. And though it’s not quite the same thing, they pretty much sat all their regulars throughout the entire preseason, much to the dismay of Eagles fans. Sirianni doesn’t appear to like to expose his starters when it’s not necessary. It seems to be a thing with him.

My guess is that if they Eagles have the top seed clinched (not likely because I’m not convinced they’re beating Dallas on Christmas Eve) with two games to go, they go all out against the Saints because they need the Saints draft pick to be as high as possible and then rest everyone against the Giants.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:33 PM, kleese said:

Rooting guide for this week is pretty simple:

Rams over Seahawks. That’s BY FAR the #1 game we should be watching other than ours.

Steelers over Falcons: Not worried at all about the SECOND PLACE South team beating us out, but I guess root for Pitt just to be extra safe.

Saints over Bucs: See above, but this one matters even less because whoever wins inches closer while pushing the loser further back. 

Jaguars over Lions: I am not going to worry about the Lions until we need to worry about the Lions, but this can’t hurt (I also think Jags are gonna win).

Dolphins over 49ers: I guess? But I’d actually be just as happy seeing the Niners keep winning and maybe the come due on Christmas Eve.

Eagles/Cowboys/Vikings: All depends on your perspective. The Eagles and Vikings play some games later that will benefit us if they win— so we would like both of them to stay motivated as long as possible. It’s kinda hard to say whether wins or losses will accomplish that. 

In case of Eagles, I’d say for sure root for Titans this week. If Philly loses they will likely be fully ready for Giants the following week and perhaps feeling the heat from Dallas/Minny.

Well this weekend sucked lol...

Rams over Seahawks.

Steelers over Falcons

Saints over Bucs

Jaguars over Lions

Dolphins over 49ers

In case of Eagles, I’d say for sure root for Titans this week

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

****…….sucks for Jimmy G :( 

however, perhaps that makes our Christmas eve game easier? Brock purdy can’t possibly be good enough to help them continue winning, right? 

We kinda need SF to clear house in the NFCW to eliminate the WC threats (like Seattle).

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

With this somewhat newer format, does the second round get reseeded?  In other words if the Cowboys are the five seed and they beat TB would they play Philly (1 seed in this scenario) if the six or seven seed beats the 2 or 3?

Second (divisional) round still works the way it always has: lowest seeded team remaining plays the top-seeded team, and the 2nd highest seeded team remaining plays the 2nd lowest-seeded team remaining at home.

Jon Allen wants us at the game but we don’t even know when the game is yet!

26 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Some of the Giants fans seem to think that the tie hurts us more and it helps them...even though they have no divisional wins. If they get in with only one divisional win (us) I'm going to barf.

The tie benefits whoever wins in two weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Hoover-ball said:

Jon Allen wants us at the game but we don’t even know when the game is yet!

The tie benefits whoever wins in two weeks. 

Yep, look at it like this: we all talked scenarios with a split. The tie yesterday eliminates that now. In terms of head to head with Giants, a tie + win is about the same as a sweep, because it gives you the outright tie-breaker. Had we split there was still a way the Giants could earn the tiebreaker. Now, that’s out the window. We essentially erased the game at Giants and made it a one game series. It’s like the game at Met Life got cancelled and we won a coin toss to see where the deciding game would be played. 

• Like 2