Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commandos Cut The Cheese

KDawg

14 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Offensive staff is fine. Team is just beat up and the WR are horrible. 

the defense though? Wolf… They played the game exactly the opposite I would against Taylor. But this is how Joe Barry always coaches. It’s about keeping things in front of you and limiting the middle and deep passes. The thing is Taylor can’t pass those and is willing to take dump offs for 6 yards all the way down the field. 

for the life of me I have no idea why they didn’t force 8-9 in the box the whole game. Washington’s Oline is terrible. Our WRs are little and all struggle against press. Taylor patting the ball puts him into trouble. 

Barry did everything wrong. 

We gave up 179 yards rushing last week and lots this week as well. Ugly.

3 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

I know you guys hate us as much as the Eagles or Cowboys. Its all good.

Nah. Nothing can compete with my disliking of that Cowboys. I seriously look at the Packers and the Giants as the top of the class franchises. 

You reslly wanna know why the Packers struggle against Washington? Y'all let Vince Lombardi go there instead of giving him a percentage as owner. 🤓

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

Nah. Nothing can compete with my disliking of that Cowboys. I seriously look at the Packers and the Giants as the top of the class franchises. 

You reslly wanna know why the Packers struggle against Washington? Y'all let Vince Lombardi go there instead of giving him a percentage as owner. 🤓

Nah. It's because Joe Barry is there DC. He was a train wreck here in DC and now is destroying the packers franchise 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, ThePackisback said:

Were a bottom team. Oh well it will be a long next couple decades of losing. 

You've been hanging out with Commander fans too long,  we're rubbing off on you lol......Smile my friend,  Dan Snyder is not your owner.  I don't see you guys going into a two decade slump

M

7 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

We cant beat anybody this year. 

The DL comments are interesting. From what I saw, our DL controlled this game. The Packers run game was dictated by our DL. The Packers pass game was dictated by our DL. The entire Defensive scheme we are able to run, without sending extra rushers, is because of our DL. Just because we didn't get stats doesn't mean this wasn't a dominant game for them. There was a critical 3rd down where Payne sat right in the passing lane and ruined the timing of the play, for example, that doesnt show up on the statsheet. The Packers offense couldn't do anything all game primarily because their OL was never going to handle our DL. You cannot easily replace what our DL does with backups but that's just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Idk, they may. Last time they did a few years ago Rodgers was the MVP. It’s a bold strategy, but it’s 1 for 1.

Less Bold GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Offensive staff is fine. Team is just beat up and the WR are horrible. 

the defense though? Wolf… They played the game exactly the opposite I would against Taylor. But this is how Joe Barry always coaches. It’s about keeping things in front of you and limiting the middle and deep passes. The thing is Taylor can’t pass those and is willing to take dump offs for 6 yards all the way down the field. 

for the life of me I have no idea why they didn’t force 8-9 in the box the whole game. Washington’s Oline is terrible. Our WRs are little and all struggle against press. Taylor patting the ball puts him into trouble. 

Barry did everything wrong. 

We agree on nothing.  

On this, we agree. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They won the way they have to win with a limited QB: They ran the ball, converted 3rd downs, controlled TOP, and won the game in the end.

Terry McLaurin was the first star.  I think Gibson had a really good game, Robinson carried players on his back on the way to yards, Samuels even had a few carries.  

Heinicke had 2 really pretty TD passes.  He had a first half that was about as bad as any QB performance I've ever witnessed at any level.  And thank you to the ref's for the REALLY weak illegal contact penalty which really should have been a scoop-score strip fumble deal.  

I think the DL did what they were supposed to do today.  Which is get enough pressure to cause Rodgers to unload the ball quickly and let the secondary cover the Packer's really average receivers.  They didn't blitz a lot, they got enough pressure Rodgers couldn't survey the field. 

I think my 2 favorite stories on the team right now are St. Juste and Jamin Davis, who is improving week to week, and playing really well.  When there is a collision near the LOS, you look, and Davis always seems to be right in the middle of it.  I'm sure he is still getting lost in coverage at times, but he seems much more comfortable, and he's so athletically gifted, he's where he's supposed to be and doing what he's supposed to do.  And I'll take that.  If he continues to improve, it will turn out to be a pretty reasonably good pick.

St. Juste, I really like.  Long arms, good speed, can really cover.  He could be the guy in the secondary who really sticks.  Fuller might be in his last year with the team, and we damn well know WJIII is not coming back.  Heck, he might not even be on the team in 2 weeks.

Here is my message for all the folks who are going to say Taylor Heinicke is a better fit for this offense: Wait 3 weeks and get back to me.  There is always the possibility I could be wrong, but the Colts, Vikings and Eagles are going to eat this offense alive. 

The Commanders had the benefit of playing a Green Bay team in complete turmoil, with a defense coordinated by Joe Barry, which has been run on for the past 2 years.  

What were they able to do?  Run on the defense.  Their defense looks like ours did in 2016: incapable of stopping the run, and incapable of getting off the field on 3rd downs.  

This was the perfect storm of "good" for this team.  Their weakness lined up exactly to what we wanted to do.  Joe Barry is an actively bad coach, and had no answers.  His unit is never prepared, always has communication issues, and gives up all kinds of things they should not. There are some coaches which elevate their teams.  Joe Barry is a coach which costs his team 2-3 games per year just by being completely in over his head.  

That's not going to be the case the next 3 weeks.  

I'm not going to suggest Wentz is the answer.  He was the best available option who was available.  TH is not a starting QB in the NFL.  Wentz was actually playing ok until the OL completely and totally fell apart, with Rouiller and Schweitzer both getting hurt, Larsen still on the PUP, and Martin starting at Center.  Wentz is a QB who needs an extra beat.  That's just his game. He's not a guy who's going to read a defense and get it out in 2.3 seconds.  He's never been that guy, he's not going to be that guy.  When the OL completely collapsed, forget 2.3 seconds, he didn't have 1.3 seconds.  

I'll eat my words if in 3 weeks the team manages to look competent offensively.  But the more likely scenario is they are curb-stomped 3 times and Heinicke looks like he did the majority of last year and the first half of this game. 

So, we'll see.   

At half time I told my son they need to bench taylor. Man was I wrong. If he can play the way he did in the second half all the  time we can win with him. If he plays like he did in the first half its time to see howell.

• Like 2

TH may have been suffering some gametime rust in the 1st half, we'll have to wait til next week to see for sure, but the TD to Terry was perfect.

The d-line did ok but they did struggle on outside containment some, but given the passing threat Rodgers posed it worked out, and barely getting to Rodgers surprised me; I thought they'd get 4 sacks at least.

If the secondary can start taking a peek now and then they'd have alot better chance at getting a pick. The TD towards the end of the game I thought could have been picked easily had his head turned a second sooner.

Overall its a team win; the 'doink' FG miss gave me flashbacks but glad it wasn't needed in the end.

On to Indy.

• Like 1

Next Gen stat of the game: Taylor Heinicke and Terry McLaurin connected for a 37-yard touchdown, a play that had a 19.8% chance of success. It was McLaurin's 11th career reception with a completion probability under 25%, which is tied for the most in the NFL since 2019 with the Chargers' Mike Williams.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-7-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

• Like 4

Offense

• I’m not feeling Robinson as the lead guy. Gibson still needs more touches.
  • I liked the fullback action! He need to work on that. That is classic Turner offense. 
  • Taylor had an up and down game (sound familiar?) but to see how hyped Terry was on his TD showed how much the team likes Taylor and wants to see him succeed. 

defense

• The packers seemed legitimately afraid of our defensive line, but this should have been Sweat’s day and he blew it
  • obada was getting held nearly every play
  • the secondary is gaining confidence. The picks will come soon. 
  • kudos to JDR to getting them back to solid. Time to dominate 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

The DL comments are interesting. From what I saw, our DL controlled this game. The Packers run game was dictated by our DL. The Packers pass game was dictated by our DL. The entire Defensive scheme we are able to run, without sending extra rushers, is because of our DL. Just because we didn't get stats doesn't mean this wasn't a dominant game for them. There was a critical 3rd down where Payne sat right in the passing lane and ruined the timing of the play, for example, that doesnt show up on the statsheet. The Packers offense couldn't do anything all game primarily because their OL was never going to handle our DL. You cannot easily replace what our DL does with backups but that's just my opinion.

I love when people say things like, “just because we didn’t get stats doesn’t mean…”

Yes. I know. But I didn’t feel the DL controlled the game and the stats show the same thing. Payne and Allen played well. The ends were out there I guess.

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

TH may have been suffering some gametime rust in the 1st half, we'll have to wait til next week to see for sure, but the TD to Terry was perfect.

I'm still thinking it's more Rivera and Turner than Heinicke...Wentz looked pathetic in the first half of 4 of his 6 starts as well. Two different QBs with two different talent levels, same 1st half results. Rivera and Turner are the common denominators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Oh hell no. They follow up Rodgers with another franchise quarterback the universe just needs to implode on itself. Over a quarter century of greatness is enough already. 🤣

They promised Jordan Love he'd be the Last Jedi as well...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love when people say things like, “just because we didn’t get stats doesn’t mean…”

Yes. I know. But I didn’t feel the DL controlled the game and the stats show the same thing. Payne and Allen played well. The ends were out there I guess.

I would call them out if they were missing plays. The Packers primarily attacked our backup ends on the edge. The middle was controlled and they had minimal success running at Sweat, with a few decent runs. The Packers pass game was all quick passes and our DBs rarely had to cover long- which helps us immensely. We also didn't need to blitz on passing downs to get the ball out of Rodgers hands quickly. I don't mind the high standards for the DL. I'm calling what I see. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A lot of run plays, especially early in the game, we designed to avoid interior DTs and attack the DEs, was easier to push our DEs out the run lanes then our DTs.

Specific to Taylor, I'm not sure he made enough plays Wentz couldn't to use in a case for him to start instead.  Big reason why I say that is our OC still sucks, so on a bootleg, Packers saw it coming and corner Blitzer was waiting for him.  Saw him pressured right up middle on three step drop that ended the play.

His mobility can't really protect him from, you could beat Vick with that, too.

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I would call them out if they were missing plays. The Packers primarily attacked our backup ends on the edge. The middle was controlled and they had minimal success running at Sweat, with a few decent runs. The Packers pass game was all quick passes and our DBs rarely had to cover long- which helps us immensely. We also didn't need to blitz on passing downs to get the ball out of Rodgers hands quickly. I don't mind the high standards for the DL. I'm calling what I see. 

So am I. You don’t like what I saw. Sweat is poor against the run. The other end spot is as well.

Rodgers was getting rid of the ball quick. We didn’t blitz because it didn’t make a difference. Our line wasn’t applying any kind of pressure to Rodgers.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

A lot of run plays, especially early in the game, we designed to avoid interior DTs and attack the DEs, was easier to push our DEs out the run lanes then our DTs.

Specific to Taylor, I'm not sure he made enough plays Wentz couldn't to use in a case for him to start instead.  Big reason why I say that is our OC still sucks, so on a bootleg, Packers saw it coming and corner Blitzer was waiting for him.  Saw him pressured right up middle on three step drop that ended the play.

His mobility can't really protect him from, you could beat Vick with that, too.

First paragraph: yup. The DTs are not my issue with the DL. And I have a bad feeling we’re going to let Payne walk and keep Sweat.