Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commandos Cut The Cheese

KDawg

Easy start for this week, the elephant in the room: Taylor Heinicke.

In the first half he played one of the worst halves of football a Washington quarterback has played. It was so bad it rivaled Tim Hasselbeck’s nightmare in Toronto. A pick six and a ticky tack call that saved him from a fumble, scoop and score (yes, I coach defense and that penalty and the one on WFC not long after we’re both penalties by rule but soft…). But then the second half happened and Heinicke brought the magic to the field. He threw the best pass of his career on a TD strike to McLaurin and followed that up with a drive saving duck under from a sack and a lob out of play.

Do I think Heinicke is the answer? No. Do I think Wentz is the answer? No. Do I think Heinicke has some moxie and the players play for him? Yes. That catch by Samuels summed up the effort that Heinicke inspires. No one can take that away.

Armani Rodgers had a big play but the two guys who made the offense hum today were McLaurin and Samuels. I should say three: we used Gibson appropriately today, like we did in game one, and he was a difference maker.

I love how hard Robinson runs and he seems to be getting back to his normal self. Can’t wait to see him fully in the swing. 

That brings us to the OL. Yes, they only allowed one sack. But sweet sassafrass are they bad. Heinicke was under consistent duress and had to perform a few exorcisms to get free from the grasp on a few plays. The OL is a major concern and I don’t care who’s back there: if they don’t improve we’re going to continue to get QBs injured. 

On to the defense: Look out, the “bust” Jamin Davis has been playing like a guy who isn’t aware he’s a bust. He led the team with two TFLs today. Kam Curl has consistently stood out as a highlight for this team. Mr. Wildgoose played his best game of the year with 2 PDs.

Its refreshing to not see WJ3 getting burned on repeat. 

I thought the defense played fairly well, but we need to talk about the defensive line… today they accounted for 1 QB hit. Otherwise they were mostly invisible. Meanwhile GB had 9 QB hits and a sack.

There is going to be a point where we have to talk about cost  as it pertains to keeping this DL together. As it stands, tying up that many monetary and draft assets into a unit that records 1 QB hit and 0 sacks in an entire game seems to be a fairly poor investment. We can do that with 5th round picks.

Hard to be too hard on the DTs who have played well all season but Sweat has been so hit and miss and I’m not even sure we see Chase Young this year. 

Scott Turner takes entirely too long to adjust offensively, as well. The second half looked much better, though some of the calls near the goal are hard to watch at times. 

Studs and Duds:

*** - Terry McLaurin

** - Curtis Samuel

* - Rachad Wildgoose/Jamin Davis (had to give the D some love and the goose was loose today)

Not going to give any duds today, though Turner may deserve one and the OL as a whole deserves some. But this was the most well rounded game we’ve played all year without a ton of egregious mistakes.

Before you ask: no. Heinicke doesn’t get stars (or frowns). His first half was abysmal. He did enough in the second half to win this game and wipe away the negative of the first half, so there’s no need for a negative performance tally from him but the first half happened and put us well behind the curve because of it.

I will add the season totals when I’m on a PC tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 4

The OL's inability to consistently pass protect is the biggest issue on our offense right now, closely followed by Turner just not being a very good OC(but he wasn't as bad today as he has been in recent weeks). Because of this issue, Heinicke actually might be the better option over Wentz since he can at least move around and extend a play here or a play there. His elusiveness is overblown by some of our fans who like to think he's some kinda Lamar Jackson or something, but he can get escape pressure and made some nice throws on the move today. 

With Heinicke in the gameplan is obvious, same as it was during the four game win streak last year: run the ball, grind out possessions, hit the occasional big pass, and hope your D can keep them to ~20 and win games that way. It can work against teams that can't score, and the Packers have become one of those teams, but when we play teams like the Vikings and Eagles in a couple weeks we're gonna get smoked. 

McLaurin was awesome as he always is. A shame we can't get him the ball more often. Samuel made some real nice plays too. And Gibson/Robinson makes a pretty good backfield. I'd honestly look and see if we can trade McKissic now, he may have value for a team that needs another weapon but feels a bit redundant now with Gibson filling that RB/WR hybrid role now and Robinson as our grinder. We need more from our TEs, although Rogers looked pretty good on a couple of his catches.

Defense was fine but its hard to really evaluate because the Packers offense is just so terrible now. Their OL is actually worse than ours and their WRs might be among the worst in the league. Jones is a stud RB though, for some reason Lafleur gets away from him when he's been killing teams(not just this week but past weeks as well). He's basically Turner-esque as an offensive mind but got away with it because he had God Tier Rodgers the last couple years. Well that Rodgers isn't really a thing anymore due to age and/or injury and a regression of the players around him and he's being exposed. 

I will say Davis's improvement has been pretty remarkable. Dude looked BAD early but has started to figure things out. If St. Juste can clean up his technique a bit he can be a legit outside CB, he looks so much better out there than in the slot. Curl is a legit top tier SS who might be going to the Pro Bowl this year. DL didn't get any sacks but the Packers were calling mostly really short quick pass plays and Rodgers is just notoriously hard to bring down. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

In defense of the line they were facing one of the smartest and best quarterbacks in the history of the nfl.

Not many teams get a lot of pressures and sacks on rodgers and they had 10 sacks the last two weeks so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on their gameplan today especially since the packers hardly moved the ball at all.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, redskinss said:

In defense of the line they were facing one of the smartest and best quarterbacks in the history of the nfl.

Not many teams get a lot of pressures and sacks on rodgers and they had 10 sacks the last two weeks so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on their gameplan today especially since the packers hardly moved the ball at all.

I struggle with this. If this was just a normal DL that was built with a mix of picks and had the kind of day they had today vs. Rodgers I’d chalk it up the same way.

But three firsts played on it. What’s the point in having that many ones on the DL if it isn’t routinely dominant? It’s not like they shut down Aaron Jones, LaFleur did that.

So I agree in theory, but not in principle.

1 minute ago, ThePackisback said:

My Packers still have to play Dallas and Philly yet. Were going to get blown out by 30 in those games. 

I loved Amari Rogers in last years draft class. Why isn’t he seeing the field more often? I haven’t heard much. I’m assuming he’s struggling with the playbook.

I know he dropped that Rodgers bomb today but that thing was a touch overthrown and I think Aaron knew it by the way he shook his head.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I struggle with this. If this was just a normal DL that was built with a mix of picks and had the kind of day they had today vs. Rodgers I’d chalk it up the same way.

But three firsts played on it. What’s the point in having that many ones on the DL if it isn’t routinely dominant? It’s not like they shut down Aaron Jones, LaFleur did that.

So I agree in theory, but not in principle.

I loved Amari Rogers in last years draft class. Why isn’t he seeing the field more often? I haven’t heard much. I’m assuming he’s struggling with the playbook.

I know he dropped that Rodgers bomb today but that thing was a touch overthrown and I think Aaron knew it by the way he shook his head.

Not sure. Our coaches and staff all suck. Time to clean house and get rid of Rodgers as well.

1 minute ago, gooseneck said:

At least you will be in a position to draft a good Quarterback.  We wont

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Enjoy the humble pie. 😆

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Enjoy the humble pie. 😆

3 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Oh hell no. They follow up Rodgers with another franchise quarterback the universe just needs to implode on itself. Over a quarter century of greatness is enough already. 🤣

Now you guys have to put up with Prescott and Hurts in your division, ouch.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Not sure. Our coaches and staff all suck. Time to clean house and get rid of Rodgers as well.

Pump the breaks there bud lol I understand you guys are a little spoiled after so many 13+ win seasons but it's obvious yall are lacking a couple playmakers on offense.  Losing Adams hurt. Aren't you also breaking in a new offensive coordinator and center? Spend some time in our shoes for the last 30 years on top of having Snyder as your owner and I bet your prospective would change. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Offensive staff is fine. Team is just beat up and the WR are horrible. 

the defense though? Wolf… They played the game exactly the opposite I would against Taylor. But this is how Joe Barry always coaches. It’s about keeping things in front of you and limiting the middle and deep passes. The thing is Taylor can’t pass those and is willing to take dump offs for 6 yards all the way down the field. 

for the life of me I have no idea why they didn’t force 8-9 in the box the whole game. Washington’s Oline is terrible. Our WRs are little and all struggle against press. Taylor patting the ball puts him into trouble. 

Barry did everything wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Yeah. Gonna be as tough as enduring the Jordan Love era. 

Yeah its been a tough season, losing hurts but I admit were going in the tank very soon. Oh well I hope Buffalo, Cincy or the Jets win the Superbowl this year. Heck even the Eagles winning it wouldnt bother me. 

2 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Yeah its been a tough season, losing hurts but I admit were going in the tank very soon. Oh well I hope Buffalo, Cincy or the Jets win the Superbowl this year. Heck even the Eagles winning it wouldnt bother me. 

You had me until you mentioned the Eagles.......Blasphemy!!!!! Anyone but the Eagles and Cowturds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They won the way they have to win with a limited QB: They ran the ball, converted 3rd downs, controlled TOP, and won the game in the end.

Terry McLaurin was the first star.  I think Gibson had a really good game, Robinson carried players on his back on the way to yards, Samuels even had a few carries.  

Heinicke had 2 really pretty TD passes.  He had a first half that was about as bad as any QB performance I've ever witnessed at any level.  And thank you to the ref's for the REALLY weak illegal contact penalty which really should have been a scoop-score strip fumble deal.  

I think the DL did what they were supposed to do today.  Which is get enough pressure to cause Rodgers to unload the ball quickly and let the secondary cover the Packer's really average receivers.  They didn't blitz a lot, they got enough pressure Rodgers couldn't survey the field. 

I think my 2 favorite stories on the team right now are St. Juste and Jamin Davis, who is improving week to week, and playing really well.  When there is a collision near the LOS, you look, and Davis always seems to be right in the middle of it.  I'm sure he is still getting lost in coverage at times, but he seems much more comfortable, and he's so athletically gifted, he's where he's supposed to be and doing what he's supposed to do.  And I'll take that.  If he continues to improve, it will turn out to be a pretty reasonably good pick.

St. Juste, I really like.  Long arms, good speed, can really cover.  He could be the guy in the secondary who really sticks.  Fuller might be in his last year with the team, and we damn well know WJIII is not coming back.  Heck, he might not even be on the team in 2 weeks.

Here is my message for all the folks who are going to say Taylor Heinicke is a better fit for this offense: Wait 3 weeks and get back to me.  There is always the possibility I could be wrong, but the Colts, Vikings and Eagles are going to eat this offense alive. 

The Commanders had the benefit of playing a Green Bay team in complete turmoil, with a defense coordinated by Joe Barry, which has been run on for the past 2 years.  

What were they able to do?  Run on the defense.  Their defense looks like ours did in 2016: incapable of stopping the run, and incapable of getting off the field on 3rd downs.  

This was the perfect storm of "good" for this team.  Their weakness lined up exactly to what we wanted to do.  Joe Barry is an actively bad coach, and had no answers.  His unit is never prepared, always has communication issues, and gives up all kinds of things they should not. There are some coaches which elevate their teams.  Joe Barry is a coach which costs his team 2-3 games per year just by being completely in over his head.  

That's not going to be the case the next 3 weeks.  

I'm not going to suggest Wentz is the answer.  He was the best available option who was available.  TH is not a starting QB in the NFL.  Wentz was actually playing ok until the OL completely and totally fell apart, with Rouiller and Schweitzer both getting hurt, Larsen still on the PUP, and Martin starting at Center.  Wentz is a QB who needs an extra beat.  That's just his game. He's not a guy who's going to read a defense and get it out in 2.3 seconds.  He's never been that guy, he's not going to be that guy.  When the OL completely collapsed, forget 2.3 seconds, he didn't have 1.3 seconds.  

I'll eat my words if in 3 weeks the team manages to look competent offensively.  But the more likely scenario is they are curb-stomped 3 times and Heinicke looks like he did the majority of last year and the first half of this game. 

So, we'll see.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Pump the breaks there bud lol I understand you guys are a little spoiled after so many 13+ win seasons but it's obvious yall are lacking a couple playmakers on offense.  Losing Adams hurt. Aren't you also breaking in a new offensive coordinator and center? Spend some time in our shoes for the last 30 years on top of having Snyder as your owner and I bet your prospective would change. 

Were a bottom team. Oh well it will be a long next couple decades of losing. 

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Here is my message for all the folks who are going to say Taylor Heinicke is a better fit for this offense: Wait 3 weeks and get back to me.  There is always the possibility I could be wrong, but the Colts, Vikings and Eagles are going to eat this offense alive. 

I don’t think it’s a better fit what so ever. Honestly he’s the antithesis. The entire Norv Scott offense is thr old Air Coryell which is predicated on pushing the ball down the field. Taylor is the worst possible option in the league for this offense sans maybe 37 year old Colt McCoy. 

he might open the playback in certain ways Carson hadn’t gotten down yet. But he’s one of the worst if not the worst offensive scheme QB fit in the entire league