Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commandos Cut The Cheese

KDawg

Just now, KDawg said:

So am I. You don’t like what I saw. Sweat is poor against the run. The other end spot is as well.

Rodgers was getting rid of the ball quick. We didn’t blitz because it didn’t make a difference. Our line wasn’t applying any kind of pressure to Rodgers.

I'm curious what you think Allen, Payne, and Sweat could do better.

The interior rush, from what I can tell, studied this week not to give Rodgers a pocket to do his step up in to extend plays and make big plays downfield. Payne and Allen were disciplined, from what I saw, and we saw zero Rodgers scrambles or extended play magic from stepping up into the pocket. You would have preferred a more aggressive approach?

Sweat was throwing OL back into Rodgers with his bull rush on most passing downs. He has fallen in love with the bull rush; which is amusing after his love affair with the speed rush. The light bulb is still going off, I get that, but I wouldn't call today a bad game. He was disruptive, but I understand why anyone would want him to finish more plays. 

If you're seeing something different, that's fine. I'm just wondering what your critique could be.

We already knew we had the pieces and coaching staff to be a relatively consistent running team. Not surprised we have one of our more consistent performances when we run the stuffing out of the ball to an extent that would risk Bill Callahan's life via excessive blushing. This was always the most likely pathway for this offense to be successful given what we have available. Its even moreso the most viable pathway w/ TH at QB.

Still gotta find a way to support our D better at the start of games. W/ that Pick-6, Our O put up a net 3 points in the opening 2 frames. You won't get to play GB every week and similar efforts will lead to first half blowouts like we have seen when we play anybody better than the Bears.

Against a bad unit, Our D was pretty great once again. The only points they gave up were a TD on a short field (42 yards) and a TD at the end of the game when they were in bend-don't break mode. Even if they were not playing a quality opponent, you can't ask for too much more than that.

Slye also dodges a bullet as we won the game and his missed FG is not as big a deal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I'm curious what you think Allen, Payne, and Sweat could do better.

The interior rush, from what I can tell, studied this week not to give Rodgers a pocket to do his step up in to extend plays and make big plays downfield. Payne and Allen were disciplined, from what I saw, and we saw zero Rodgers scrambles or extended play magic from stepping up into the pocket. You would have preferred a more aggressive approach?

Sweat was throwing OL back into Rodgers with his bull rush on most passing downs. He has fallen in love with the bull rush; which is amusing after his love affair with the speed rush. The light bulb is still going off, I get that, but I wouldn't call today a bad game. He was disruptive, but I understand why anyone would want him to finish more plays. 

If you're seeing something different, that's fine. I'm just wondering what your critique could be.

Where did I say anything about Allen and Payne? They didn’t do much, but I said they played well and have all season. They at least anchored.

My statement was more about four first rounders on the DL and then not constantly dominating every game they’re in. I’m aware Chase isn’t in, either, by the way. 

Sweat is the biggest culprit. He is incredibly overrated. He runs by ball carriers, gets too far up field and opens vertical gaps and struggles to play force. 

He occasionally gets a pass rush and people lose their minds… but he’s not in the same league of talent as Allen or Payne, in my opinion.

• Like 4

Sweat was really good the last two games, but didn't do much as a pass rusher today, which was disappointing considering how bad the Packers OL is. The DL did its job today, I think the Packers overcompensated for Quinnen Williams dominating them last week and sold out to protect but as a result couldn't really get any downfield passing going. We didn't blitz much at all and trusted 7 guys in coverage could handle a below average Packer WR corps and they were right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sweat is the biggest culprit. He is incredibly overrated.

Without a doubt.  He stinks.  If he is what he should be, he should have an impact on every game.  Teams would have to gameplan for him.  He is a huge disappointment, to say the least.

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Where did I say anything about Allen and Payne? They didn’t do much, but I said they played well and have all season. They at least anchored.

My statement was more about four first rounders on the DL and then not constantly dominating every game they’re in. I’m aware Chase isn’t in, either, by the way. 

Sweat is the biggest culprit. He is incredibly overrated. He runs by ball carriers, gets too far up field and opens vertical gaps and struggles to play force. 

He occasionally gets a pass rush and people lose their minds… but he’s not in the same league of talent as Allen or Payne, in my opinion.

If you don't think the DL has strung together dominant games this season, I can understand our different perspectives. We see some things the same. We see some things different.

Right now Sweat isn't on Payne and Allen's level. We agree on that. They both were much more coached up and developed when they got here. I'm not sure why that's a topic, though. He's been the best DE on our team this season.

With that said, I don't disagree with the faults you give Sweat. He doesn't finish enough plays. He is also still learning how to set an edge consistently. We will have to see where he goes from here. From what I can tell, he is still developing. If you're out on Sweat, I can't fault you, but I still like the trend.

I will say the team really appears to support Heinicke.  Despite his physical limitations, he brings an "it" factor to the game and he seems to make the others around him play better.  His enthusiasm is infectious, and he seems to really enjoy being the QB of this team.  Watching him trying to rev the crowd up for the defense brought a smile to my face. 

Put simply, he is entertaining to watch.  I love overachievers, and he is a prime example.  He is the kind of guy that you want to see succeed.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

ok.  today was two bad teams playing badly.  While we all fixated on the problems we had on Offense and Defense (and Slye too)...  the Packers stunk up the joint a little worser than us.

all that being said...

What impressed me the most was how TH had the crummiest first half ever.  Pick-6 and Strip-6.  Dude threw two TD passes before the half (though one was to a dude wearing green).

But maybe last year, TH continues to keep making even more mistakes with a loss of confidence (think either Cowboys games).  And this year, he shrugs that crap off and plays the 2nd half like a boss.

Not saying we should extend TH to a $100m contract, but I am excited about each game now with him guiding the team.  Wentz likely wouldve taken a few extra sacks today.

• Like 2

With all the outside crap going on and even intensifying during the week, I wasn't going to be surprised if we came out yesterday and looked like a team that had already had enough of the season and just went through the motions. That obviously wasn't the case and I thought the coaches and players did a good job of separating the off the field stuff from the game by playing hard for 4 quarters.

I'm one of those suckers whose been a fan for 49 years and am always happy when we win. I just can't help myself from sitting there every Sunday and rooting hard for us. Even when I tell myself before the game "I don't care", once the game starts, I'm all in and into it.

My main thing is I always want to see effort and the players playing hard. I saw that yesterday and although I don't think Heinicke is anything more than a serviceable back-up, I do think he brings some juice to the team. It was good to see the coaches and players stick together and get a win when considering all the negativity about the organization all week, it wouldn't have been surprising if they came out and laid an egg.  

Just like everyone talked about how we got the Full Wentz in the first couple weeks of the season, we got the full Heinicke yesterday.  Some terrible throws, terrible decisions, a terrible pick, what could have easily been three or four more picks, some help from the refs and then some really inspired, good QB play.  He showed the full spectrum and it's a roller coaster.

In a way, I think he's like what Fitzy should have been for us last year.  Fitzy was known for "FitzMagic" where he'd have big games, big moments, but he'd also have a lot of bad moments too.  I think that's what Heinicke is.  Unfortunately there's nothing that goes with Heinicke like "magic" so we can't have fun with his last name.  

• Like 2

I checked this morning on my prediction for this game.  I picked Washington to win 21-20 and they won 23-21.  I do not know how to rate our coordinators.  Suddenly

Del Rio does not look like a bad coordinator and Turner redeemed himself in the second half.  Still not sold on both of them but Ron is going to stay loyal to them whether

or not we like them.  I really think if we had Sean Payton calling our plays we would have several more wins this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I checked this morning on my prediction for this game.  I picked Washington to win 21-20 and they won 23-21.  I do not know how to rate our coordinators.  Suddenly

Del Rio does not look like a bad coordinator and Turner redeemed himself in the second half.  Still not sold on both of them but Ron is going to stay loyal to them whether

or not we like them.  I really think if we had Sean Payton calling our plays we would have several more wins this year.

I think if we had a different owner we’d have several more wins, too. But alas, we have what we have.

And there IS something to be said for guys who go out and win. I repeated that over and over and over in defense of Smith… so Heinicke gets the same justification. But just like Smith: he can’t be the guy. We need to figure it out. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Del Rio is the best coach on this staff. He's nothing special or anything, but he's a solid D Coord. 

WJ3 was just that much of a liability.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And there IS something to be said for guys who go out and win. I repeated that over and over and over in defense of Smith… so Heinicke gets the same justification. But just like Smith: he can’t be the guy. We need to figure it out. 

Been my mantra since the 2021 offseason...whoever ends up being center, just please help lead the team to wins. Don't give two ****s about how pretty they look--would rather win ugly than lose pretty. Alex Smith had winning records on every team he played for over each of his last 9 seasons...he obviously brought something to the game that helped lead to wins, and he brought it consistently no matter who his teammates or coaches were. I respect that and appreciated it while he was here...I appreciate the same with Heinicke (so far, anyway lol).

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That Packers LT #50 was lining up like two+ yards behind the LoS.  Supposed to be no further back than the OC's waistline and it's on Rivera to get on the refs for not fixing that little bit of cheesing.  It's clear from stuff like that + the moving pockets and max protections that the Packers game planned heavily around neutralizing the rush, but it made them easy to cover.  Looked like we only rushed four all day and had almost no problems in coverage for once.  It played into our favor because their weapons aren't strong enough to beat a pretty shaky secondary dropping into max coverages all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

I love how hard Robinson runs and he seems to be getting back to his normal self. Can’t wait to see him fully in the swing. 

Really good summary.

Robinson really runs hard but I think he's trying too hard to hit home runs when a nice single or double will do.  He's spilling a lot of his runs too quickly when he should press the hole.  I always coached my backs to stay with their line as long as they're moving.  When they stop, then you can cut back or spill.  I saw Coach Jordan talking to him and I'll bet that's what he was telling Robinson.  Ironically, I think Gibson has been much better at pressing the hole.  Those 3 yard runs add up like body blows in a boxing match.  They lead to big runs as you wear out the defense.  Or some nice play-action shot plays.  I've seen him run with more discipline with Bama.  I think he's just excited and wants to do great things for his teammates.  He'll eventually calm down and become more consistent.

I really wish Turner would copy some Deboo Samuel plays from Shanahan for Gibson.  I think that could be very effective!

• Like 2