Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Ultraprocessed foods linked to cancer and early death, studies find

China

Ultraprocessed foods linked to cancer and early death, studies find

Eating a lot of ultraprocessed foods significantly increases men's risk of colorectal cancer and can lead to heart disease and early death in both men and women, according to two new, large-scale studies of people in the United States and Italy published Wednesday in British medical journal The BMJ.

Ultraprocessed foods include prepackaged soups, sauces, frozen pizza, ready-to-eat meals and pleasure foods such as hot dogs, sausages, french fries, sodas, store-bought cookies, cakes, candies, doughnuts, ice cream and many more.

"Literally hundreds of studies link ultra-processed foods to obesity, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and overall mortality," said Marion Nestle, the Paulette Goddard professor emerita of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University and author of numerous books on food politics and marketing, including 2015's "Soda Politics: Taking on Big Soda (and Winning)."

"These two studies continue the consistency: Ultraprocessed foods are unambiguously associated with an increased risk for chronic disease," said Nestle, who was not involved in either study.

The US-based study examined the diets of over 200,000 men and women for up to 28 years and found a link between ultraprocessed foods and colorectal cancer -- the third most diagnosed cancer in the US -- in men, but not women.

Processed and ultraprocessed meats, such as ham, bacon, salami, hotdogs, beef jerkey and corned beef, have long been associated with a higher risk of bowel cancer in both men and women, according to the World Health Organization, American Cancer Society and the American Institute for Cancer Research.

The new study, however, found that all types of ultraprocessed foods played a role to some degree.

Click on the link for the full article

19 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

In other breaking news, the sky is blue, and water is wet.

Snarky comment aside, I imagine there are a lot of people in this country ignorant of the health risks of processed food, and many that have limited access to healthier food.

Biden is on it though:

Biden's goal to end hunger by 2030 and his new food conference, explained

"Too many families don't know where they are going to get their next meal," he said. "There are too many empty chairs around the kitchen table because a loved one was taken by heart disease, diabetes or other diet oriented diseases which are some of the leading causes of death in our country."

The 2022 conference comes in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, which brought international attention to the connections between food, nutrition and health as those with diet-related diseases were among the first to feel some of the worst symptoms and results of the virus.

"People don't talk about food, and yet food is the biggest issue across all of these things for health, for equity, for health care spending, for our economy," said Dariush Mozaffarian, a professor at the Tufts University School of Medicine working closely on the formation of the 2022 conference. "The bigger picture that will be a measure of success is if this starts to enter the national conversation, political conversation, business conversations, people are actually looking at the food system as a problem and an opportunity."

Click on the link for more

• Thumb up 1

Not buying the can't afford argument, when fruit and veggies are cheaper than meat.  It's a matter of convenience and above all, addiction, that keeps people eating **** food.  Obviously poor people can't afford angus beef and smoked salmon, but a meal of broccoli, sweet potato and a piece of chicken isn't more than a dinner at McDonald's or wherever. Lots of meals can be made from a bottle of olive oil, a can of San Marzano tomates, a clove of garlic, and a couple boxes of pasta for less than bags of potato chips, and packs of hot dogs and buns.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Not buying the can't afford argument, when fruit and veggies are cheaper than meat.  It's a matter of convenience and above all, addiction, that keeps people eating **** food.  Obviously poor people can't afford angus beef and smoked salmon, but a meal of broccoli, sweet potato and a piece of chicken isn't more than a dinner at McDonald's or wherever. Lots of meals can be made from a bottle of olive oil, a can of San Marzano tomates, a clove of garlic, and a couple boxes of pasta for less than bags of potato chips, and packs of hot dogs and buns.

Here, read this:

Neighborhood Disparities in Access to Healthy Foods and Their Effects on Environmental Justice

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, China said:

that’s a bizarre study.  No where does it address market demand.   The word “demand” isn’t even in the study.  It’s strange to argue that food deserts are a public health crisis without even acknowledging the most obvious obstacle.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

well recently fast food prices have crept up. But yeah an 8 dollar cheeseburger meal that takes 3 minutes for someone to hand to you is cheaper than grocery shopping and quicker. 

and there’s a whole habit/what you know element to it too. If you were raised eating fast food you’re likely to live that way. 

being poor and uneducated is definitely part of it, even if you can figure out a way to eat headier for cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

that’s a bizarre study.  No where does it address market demand.   The word “demand” isn’t even in the study.  It’s strange to argue that food deserts are a public health crisis without even acknowledging the most obvious obstacle.  

That study is a review of other studies.  They selected 24 out of over 500 studies.  So they probably selected articles for their analysis on criteria that didn't include demand.

Fortunately I'm retired so I can cook everything. I rarely eat at restaurants or do take out. Especially with the price of food these days. So I cook everything. And it's been so hot this summer that I'm not very hungry.

I tend to cook things either in a pot or in the oven or my small fry pan. Breakfast is either an egg dish or cereal. I don't like to prepare dishes that require a lot of standing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I've heard of couples that neither can cook or admit to feeling like they don't have time...I jus...I grew up watching my parents alternate cooking enough food for the week, leftovers was so normal it wasn't until I got older I understood what that was.

I'm not sure what to do about that one...outside of accepting that reality and having the honest conversation of making food healthier even if it's quick or fast food.  Because getting our whole country to know how to cook and commit to learning how to make enough food for the week and jus filling stuff in as they go...it ain't gonna happen.

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

…  Because getting our whole country to know how to cook and commit to learning how to make enough food for the week and jus filling stuff in as they go...it ain't gonna happen.

Not to inject politics into the conversation, but I remember Michelle Obama launched  a healthy eating campaign as First Lady and was vilified by the Right for her efforts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Not to inject politics into the conversation, but I remember Michelle Obama launched  a healthy eating campaign as First Lady and was vilified by the Right for her efforts. 

And "The Naked Chef", Jamie Oliver, was in on it with her.  Great guy.  I watched him for years before he did that. 

Edit, add: no, he was never naked.  ☹️

Edited by skinsmarydu

28 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Probably more reasonable to say you don't cook. Anybody who is a functional adult (or even teenager) can cook. 

I almost never cook from scratch. Heck the psta I make (only thing I do cook) is boxed lol

I just don't see the need, so lately I've been eating a lot of canned soups and frozen foods. Just throw them in the oven and heat it up. No need to hover over a stove. Also, if yinz have ever worked in a kitchen before it's hot AF. I ain't dealing with that ****. Lol