Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official NCAA Football Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

20 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I love the fact that we have now expanded the college football playoffs to 4 teams.....and people still aren't happy.

You know what would be amazing right about now? A good ol' fashioned New Years Day.

The ****ing Rose Bowl would be #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington. I would absolutely demand that AI Keith Jackson call that ****er.

I assume it would be FSU-Texas in the Orange Bowl and maybe Alabama-Ohio State in the Sugar

Wouldn't that be a fun day?

Remember when sports were fun?

No, we don't want that.

We want games we are unhappy with on New Years Eve that none of us will watch and then a championship game in the middle of January on a random Monday.

I really can't want until next year when the third place team in the SEC (which will be Bama) wins the title. That will be fun,

This post made my osteoporosis flare up.  Better grab some calcium gummies next time I go to Wal-greens.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don't care too much about college football but the incessant whining and complaining about who gets into the playoff is annoying.  Sure, fine, go ahead and expand it, then we're just going to hear more ****ing about how some team didn't get the #8 spot.  

It doesn’t have to be annoying. 

There’s lots of opportunity to make people mad because their team isn’t a good as they think it is. 

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You mean like WVU or something

FSU seems to be the group that thinks their team is top 4 while literally no one else thinks that.

and to me Georgia is better so they should have to beat out 2 teams to even get in 

it’s fun to watch. Take note how petulant they get. Like demanding they refuse to play in their bowl game 😂 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

The funny thing about all the FSU griping is Georgia is better. 

so you should have to kick 2 teams out of the playoffs before you can put FSU in

The thing is, the committee didn’t take the best four teams (Michigan, GA, OSU, Bama) and they didn’t take the four teams with the best resumes. (Michigan, Washington, FSU, Texas). They did a mashup of requirements to put in who they wanted.

Also, people complaining about FSU not having Travis, but their point differential in their two games without him (19) is higher than Washington’s last four games. (15) Washington hasn’t beaten a team by more than 10 points since September 23.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ball Security said:

The thing is, the committee didn’t take the best four teams (Michigan, GA, OSU, Bama) and they didn’t take the four teams with the best resumes. (Michigan, Washington, FSU, Texas). They did a mashup of requirements to put in who they wanted.

They picked the schools that will drive the most revenue. They needed an SEC representative, because the conference has 10 million more fans than any other conference, so they picked one.  

In terms of the playoff format, 4 was better than the previous system of just picking the top 2, but this year is exactly the problem inherent with a 4 team format.  Inevitably there was going to be a year where there is one or more 1-loss teams with really strong resumes and some team that went actually undefeated in a Power 5 conference gets left out.  So FSU here has a legit complaint.  And UGA has an argument that they are still the best team.  Next year, in the 12 team format, the complaints of the 13th team, who sure as hell isn't going to be an undefeated Power 5 conference champ, will be less persuasive.  This year it's a 3-loss LSU squad. 

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They picked the schools that will drive the most revenue. They needed an SEC representative, because the conference has 10 million more fans than any other conference, so they picked one.  

In terms of the playoff format, 4 was better than the previous system of just picking the top 2, but this year is exactly the problem inherent with a 4 team format.  Inevitably there was going to be a year where there is one or more 1-loss teams with really strong resumes and some team that went actually undefeated in a Power 5 conference gets left out.  So FSU here has a legit complaint.  And UGA has an argument that they are still the best team.  Next year, in the 12 team format, the complaints of the 13th team, who sure as hell isn't going to be an undefeated Power 5 conference champ, will be less persuasive.  This year it's a 3-loss LSU squad. 

Yes, just wish the committee was more transparent and say that.

Also, I think this year would be pretty clean for a 12 team playoff. The top 12 all had 2 losses or less. LSU only had one quality win. They wouldn’t have much of a case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yes, just wish the committee was more transparent and say that.

Also, I think this year would be pretty clean for a 12 team playoff. The top 12 all had 2 losses or less. LSU only had one quality win. They wouldn’t have much of a case.

I don't see them ever doing 12 team playoff.  That would take 4 weeks to resolve, and would run into problems with the end and start of the semesters.   You may laugh but at least some of these players are legit student athletes, and universities like to pretend they are in any case.

I can see a 6 or even 8 team playoff.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don't care too much about college football but the incessant whining and complaining about who gets into the playoff is annoying.  Sure, fine, go ahead and expand it, then we're just going to hear more ****ing about how some team didn't get the #8 spot.  

Top 8 or even 6 effectively ensures no undefeated P5 school would be left out.

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I don't see them ever doing 12 team playoff.  That would take 4 weeks to resolve, and would run into problems with the end and start of the semesters.   You may laugh but at least some of these players are legit student athletes, and universities like to pretend they are in any case.

I can see a 6 or even 8 team playoff.

They are going to 12 teams next season. I hope you are with us then. 😎

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-12-03/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids?amp

According to this, I was wrong earlier because Liberty would get in an Oklahoma would be out and they would have a legitimate gripe as they are a two loss team but beat Texas.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Wow, totally missed that.  Too bad they couldn't do it this year.

I predict the new complaint is going to be that Notre Dame gets in every year over other deserving teams

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I hope they reserve one spot every year for a non Power 5 team like JMU that went undefeated playing nobodies and they play the #1 overall seed in the first round so we can see how many players from the plucky upstart survive the game. 

Did you see the link from the NCAA I posted? If they had the 12 teams tournament this season, Liberty would get an automatic bid.

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I hope they reserve one spot every year for a non Power 5 team like JMU that went undefeated playing nobodies and they play the #1 overall seed in the first round so we can see how many players from the plucky upstart survive the game. 

Fwiw they'd be playing the 5th seed. Top 4 should get a bye in the first round, I think.