Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official NCAA Football Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw they'd be playing the 5th seed. Top 4 should get a bye in the first round, I think. 

Top 4 get a bye in the 12 team format.  Wonder if this will impact regular season scheduling (I doubt it), cause for teams that play 13 games (conference championship game), if they get ranked 5-12, that's four more games if they advance to the national championship game.  17 games is a lot for college football.

9 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

JMU dragging the Seminoles all over the Superdome sounds like great fun!

Please, JMU would get curb stomped with our 3rd string QB in.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Suspect the argument next year will be over who gets a first round bye and who doesn't. 

Honestly, I think they should go back to the ole BCS formula to rank the teams for the playoffs.  Zero human influence (aside from determining the formula).  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Suspect the argument next year will be over who gets a first round bye and who doesn't. 

Yes, and the retort will be "if you are so good, prove it on the field" (against, like, Tulane).

Which is a much better answer than what FSU is getting, which is they don't get the opportunity to prove it. 

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Wow, totally missed that.  Too bad they couldn't do it this year.

I predict the new complaint is going to be that Notre Dame gets in every year over other deserving teams

James Franklin is going to be the coach at Penn State until 2057 under this system, He will make the playoffs 95 percent despite being 0 for the century against Ohio State and Michigan.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Top 4 get a bye in the 12 team format.  Wonder if this will impact regular season scheduling (I doubt it), cause for teams that play 13 games (conference championship game), if they get ranked 5-12, that's four more games if they advance to the national championship game.  17 games is a lot for college football.

Only for a few teams.  College football is effectively a development league for the NFL and a significant number are going to be doing that next year anyway.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The “it’s too many games for college” is a lot less problematic now that the players are getting paid.

Back in the dark ages, I was at Salisbury, and in ‘86 we went to the D3 natty. 10 regular season games, and 4 post season games. We did it right through semester ending exam time. Sure, it’s a lot of work, but worth it, and nobody on that team had any type of scholarship.

We got pummeled in the Natty, but the experience lives forever. I also never understood why the D1 schools weren’t doing a 16 team playoff like we did. At that time, D1 teams would play 11 regular season games, and one bowl game to decide the Championship. 12 games? We played 14! Would have stumped a lot of whining from teams “left out”.

With 12 teams in a playoff, most likely scenario is a winning team plays 16 games. I think a team ranked 5-12 winning (therefore 17 games) will be an outlier. Personally, I would like to see a 16 team playoff, with regular seasons scaled back to 11, or stay at 12 if conference championships are done away with. 2 teams play 16 games. 

I'm confused why they would choose to extend him after all the **** that has been levied at the program from ESPN, the B1G and the NCAA. Now would have been just a good time as any to leave.

I'm a NCAA shill. NCAA is better than the NFL. But the NCAA is so cumbersome and restrictive in what you can do, and the NCAA itself is a power hungry, corrupt force that will stop at nothing to levy "weaponized justice" against any appearance of a slight. So why would Harbaugh willingly want to return to their domain when they can just conjure up evidence and suspend him (or "urge" the B1G to "suspend" him ASAP?)

If it were up to me I'd just do everything possible to win the title and then bolt after the year. No need to deal with the NCAA headache.

Maybe he loves his Michigan kids and the program and wants to see them succeed. Fine. No problem. But coming back to college, with a NCAA that is already determined to undermine everything you do, and the B1G who won't even respect their own champions ffs...why would you come back?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm confused why they would choose to extend him after all the **** that has been levied at the program from ESPN, the B1G and the NCAA. Now would have been just a good time as any to leave.

I'm a NCAA shill. NCAA is better than the NFL. But the NCAA is so cumbersome and restrictive in what you can do, and the NCAA itself is a power hungry, corrupt force that will stop at nothing to levy "weaponized justice" against any appearance of a slight. So why would Harbaugh willingly want to return to their domain when they can just conjure up evidence and suspend him (or "urge" the B1G to "suspend" him ASAP?)

If it were up to me I'd just do everything possible to win the title and then bolt after the year. No need to deal with the NCAA headache.

Maybe he loves his Michigan kids and the program and wants to see them succeed. Fine. No problem. But coming back to college, with a NCAA that is already determined to undermine everything you do, and the B1G who won't even respect their own champions ffs...why would you come back?

Simple, because he can make a lot of money with less hassle.  He has beaten OSU three years in a row and only got a slap on the wrist with that 3 game suspension for cheating.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1