Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

26 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Damn I hope Slye can become a dependable, clutch kicker... I don't have any fingernails left after the past 6+ years of cringing every time Hopkins came in to attempt even kicks under 45 yards... It must be nice to be a fan of a team with a straight money kicker... I clearly wouldn't know...

Sadly he's been nearly perfect for the chargers so far.

Crazy how that happens with kickers sometimes. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Sadly he's been nearly perfect for the chargers so far.

Crazy how that happens with kickers sometimes. 

There’s a lot less pressure to be perfect when Herbert is your QB and you know the team can put up points, rather than the world constantly being on your shoulders because the two FG’s you attempt that day may be the only points your team has a shot at. Sometimes that is all the difference in the world at a position that is so mental. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Has anybody done an analysis of S. Turner vs N. Turner and E. Zampeze? I'm curious about the development of this system. Obviously I think that Norv is the biggest influence but are we similar to the late 90s Redskins teams, the early 90s Cowboys, the early 2000 Rams, something else?

I feel like shotgun with 2 backs split on either side that also regularly run routes past the line of scrimmage (Gibson and Samuel), or outright can be a WR (Samuel), is a pretty novel scheme.

I was thinking against the Jags, how often I saw that formation and how much it was happening in that game.

With all the possibilities of plays we could run from similar sets, with the same personnel, I wonder if we'll try sneaking some hurry up stuff in there to start games with.

You have Bates, Thomas and Gibson in there and you can really look like you're about to run the ball a bunch, but with Terry and Dot/CS out there, anything is possible.

• Like 1

Some interesting decisions to be made if Cole Turner is a go.  I mean, I wouldn't deactivate Rogers and instead do Dyami Brown.  However, I suppose it depends on the game plan but could see all kinds of designs using multiple TE sets.

Edited by HigSkin

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Some interesting decisions to be made if Cole Turner is a go.  I mean, I wouldn't deactivate Hodges and instead do Dyami Brown.  However, I suppose it depends on the game plan but could see all kinds of designs using multiple TE sets.

Isn't Hodges on IR?

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Has anybody done an analysis of S. Turner vs N. Turner and E. Zampeze? I'm curious about the development of this system. Obviously I think that Norv is the biggest influence but are we similar to the late 90s Redskins teams, the early 90s Cowboys, the early 2000 Rams, something else?

Norv was all about running the ball. I don't think Scott really wants to, but did so out of necessity the last couple of years because of our inept QB play.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Norv was all about running the ball. I don't think Scott really wants to, but did so out of necessity the last couple of years because of our inept QB play.

I wouldn't say that.  He had to run the ball because Gus had zero accuracy.  When Green in 1998 & Brad in 1999 came in, he started to air it out (and pound it with Davis).

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I wouldn't say that.  He had to run the ball because Gus had zero accuracy.  When Green in 1998 & Brad in 1999 came in, he started to air it out (and pound it with Davis).

I'm trying to think of offensive talent too. I keep going back to 1999 because I see similarities in the WR(Westbrook and Connell were a good duo, now we have a trio), RB (Davis and Mitchell and Centers vs BRob, Gibson and JDM), TE (Davis vs Alexander). 

But how do we compare to don't of the Dallas or STL teams?

This Bucs being that far left can be heavily attributed (aside from their injuries) to the new M.O. on offense being different post-Arians—they have run on over 80% of 1st downs despite having Tom freaking Brady. Horribly backwards and I’m shocked Brady hasn’t just essentially taken over playcalling at this point. It’s not working and is NFL malpractice.

I think in a misguidedly old school way of thinking, they believe they’re protecting their ancient QB. But it’s actually the opposite as they let him get teed off on obvious passing downs instead of letting him move the chains through the air in less obvious circumstances. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CTskin said:

I have a really ****ty feeling I know who will be #1 on that list after sunday…

that said, very nice to see us in a respectable position up there.

So I'm looking at this and I don't know what to think. Here's a breakdown of the big plays by team so far. 

I've looked at the play by play for each game and counted the big plays (20 yards for pass 10 for rush) by each game. 

Eagles Lions: Eagles - 9(6, 3), Lions - 8(5, 3)

Comms Jags: Comms - 8(6, 2), Jags - 6(3, 3)

Comms Lions: Comms - 6(4, 2), Lions - 9(5, 4)

Eagles Vikings: Eagles - 7(4, 3), Vikings - 2(2, 0)

So this gives me some indication. You're seeing that we can produce big passing plays with ease and the Lions can produce big plays with ease (against both teams). Surprisingly (or not) the Vikings were not able to produce big plays almost at all. I will say that Cousins had 6 plays of 14-19 yards that game but those aren't the big play type. I think this plays into the narrative that a few plays make a game. Its interesting that only 7 of these 55 plays resulted in a TD (on that play). I could have looked at the drives to see which ones led to TDs vs FGS vs punts but didn't. I know I was happy with McCain on one drive when he got a tackle and we held them from scoring. But that's only one example. 

The other thing is that a lot of the Eagles big plays are Hurts runs. That is dangerous but also its kinda what I want. I would take a 10 yard run by the QB over and over again because it means that he's taking hits and there is a magic number of hits you want a QB to take a season. If Hurts is running the ball for 6 big plays, that means he's taking 6 hits. That's not going to lead to durability. 

• Thanks 1